Forum Jump: 

post #20401 of 23988 Old 01-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

Anyone using a Harmony remote with OTA? ...snip...

I'm having a similar problem after deciding to add a custom DVR function and having to reprogram the entire interface because I'm using a new computer since the last time I ran the Harmony web software. So I don't know what changed but I need to add more delays and see if it corrects my problem. Its about 50/50 getting it right for all devices, not just the TV video select.

I was surprised that the harmony website did not retain all my settings, only my list of devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20402 of 23988 Old 01-18-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerbud View Post

Here are the prices that Sony offered me for an exchange for my R60XBR1.

52xbr6 - $870+tax
52w4100 - $587+tax
46xbr6 - $587+tax
46w4100 - $300+tax

The customer service said the 46z4100 is really, back-ordered. However, it will be probably around $400+tax.
Can't say that I am thrilled about these prices, as I can probably get the 52w4100 for free if the exchange is done through best buy.

Which one would you guys take?

I see prices ranging from $2400 to $2999 for the 52 XBR 6 so $870 looks like a great deal to me. Makes me wonder if I should ask for another optical block replacement, which is due again, and maybe get lucky like you. Do LCD's have projection lamps and optical blocks similar to the SXRD?

VR
post #20403 of 23988 Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZOH View Post

BB's subcontract repair company called today to schedule warranty replacement of optical block and bulb on Monday morning. I'm looking forward to a "like new" bright clear picture once again, just in time for the Super Bowl.

A new optical block and light bulb were installed today. The picture looks amazing. I don't remember it being this clear and bright when it was new three years ago. Have most folks had good luck with the replacement light engine or should I expect the green haze problem to return down the road? I still have one year remaining on my 4-year BB warranty.

Also, are the recommended video settings for the replacemnt OB the same as the settings for the original equipment? As he old bulb was getting old I was watching on vivid mode, but now, it's too bright on vivid. I now can go back to Pro settings. I would appreciate any help with the recommended setting for the replacement OB?
post #20404 of 23988 Old 01-19-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

It sounds like the delay time between the TV being turned on the TV being able to accept a "change input" command is too small. And for some reason this time is longer with OTA is involved. I have no idea the timing would change, but have you tried bumping it up? I think it's in the Device settings.

I've adjusted both interdevice delay and input delay already. This definitely was not an issue when it was just Input 4 (Component / STB) to/from HDMI or with CableCARD to/fro HDMI, either, but appears to be an issue when it's the ATSC tuner.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #20405 of 23988 Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

A new optical block and light bulb were installed today. The picture looks amazing. I don't remember it being this clear and bright when it was new three years ago. Have most folks had good luck with the replacement light engine or should I expect the green haze problem to return down the road? I still have one year remaining on my 4-year BB warranty.

Also, are the recommended video settings for the replacemnt OB the same as the settings for the original equipment? As he old bulb was getting old I was watching on vivid mode, but now, it's too bright on vivid. I now can go back to Pro settings. I would appreciate any help with the recommended setting for the replacement OB?

My first OB replacement wasn't great when installed and got worse quickly. I had my second OB replacement around 6 months later. My second is now over 1.5 yrs old. It currently has some very minor green and red areas (slightly visible only on a light gray screen (e.g., memory card screen)); but it's still much better than the original or first replacement the day it was installed. I definitely would not replace this OB unless it gets significantly worse.

There really are not "recommended settings" that are valid for all sets, OB's, or bulbs. If there was one valid group of settings, they would be the "default" from the factory. My settings have differed with each OB; and even change as the lamps age. At a minimum, I would recommend getting a copy of Avia or DVE (HD version is you have Blu Ray or a currently obsolete HD DVD player). Learn to use the disc for adjusting "user settings" (contrast, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness). Then learn to use the white balance settings to at least adjust your grayscale "by eye". The grayscale ramps available on either DVE or Avia are useful for this.
post #20406 of 23988 Old 01-20-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

My first OB replacement wasn't great when installed and got worse quickly. I had my second OB replacement around 6 months later. My second is now over 1.5 yrs old. It currently has some very minor green and red areas (slightly visible only on a light gray screen (e.g., memory card screen)); but it's still much better than the original or first replacement the day it was installed. I definitely would not replace this OB unless it gets significantly worse.

There really are not "recommended settings" that are valid for all sets, OB's, or bulbs. If there was one valid group of settings, they would be the "default" from the factory. My settings have differed with each OB; and even change as the lamps age. At a minimum, I would recommend getting a copy of Avia or DVE (HD version is you have Blu Ray or a currently obsolete HD DVD player). Learn to use the disc for adjusting "user settings" (contrast, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness). Then learn to use the white balance settings to at least adjust your grayscale "by eye". The grayscale ramps available on either DVE or Avia are useful for this.

Thanks Rlb. Are the Avia or DVE disks available at Best Buy or Walmart?
post #20407 of 23988 Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Thanks Rlb. Are the Avia or DVE disks available at Best Buy or Walmart?

Probably. However, they are definitely available on Amazon at reduced prices. Just go to Amazon and search for DVE or Avia.
post #20408 of 23988 Old 01-22-2009, 07:18 PM

Liked: 16
I've got my eye on a used 60XBR1 with stand. At what price would it be worth taking the risk on it? TIA!
post #20409 of 23988 Old 01-22-2009, 07:58 PM

I have the BB warranty...already had the optical block replacement done once...now the bars are about 10 to 12" on left side of tv...and the normal size on the right side. I'm also getting the greenish yellow blob once again. They have replaced the bulb each time so this is going to be the 3rd bulb/light engine so far. To be honest after reading through quite a few pages I just don't want or trust this thing anymore...and after looking at some of the new screens I am absolutely in love with the Pioneer elite 60". Any suggestions on how to get a no lemon policy on the 3rd repair instead of the 4th? My extended warranty runs out in another year and I'm just frustrated at this point.

thanks,

Mike
post #20410 of 23988 Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

I've got my eye on a used 60XBR1 with stand. At what price would it be worth taking the risk on it? TIA!

If it's in good shape and the Lamp is pretty new and it's had the video engine block replaced, Anywhere from $500 to $700.
post #20411 of 23988 Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Who has the best price on a replacement lamp with housing for the Sony XBR1 SXRD? I know Sony Style wants $250.
post #20412 of 23988 Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The prices vary over time. Do a web search for "XL-5100" or "F-9308-760-0" (Sony's part number).

Be seeing you!
post #20413 of 23988 Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

The prices vary over time. Do a web search for "XL-5100" or "F-9308-760-0" (Sony's part number).

Thanks.
post #20414 of 23988 Old 01-23-2009, 07:21 PM

Liked: 12
I have read posts that the lamp gradually dims prior to biting the dust. Last night, in the middle of CSI I heard a "pop" come from my SXRD. Then the screen went completely black (like when the unit is turned off) and the power LED kept flashing green. The owner's manual speaks about the LED flashing red, but nothing about green. When I called Magnolia Service (my extended warranty is through them) they said it was probably the lamp. The service tech cannot make it here until next Friday, but offered to let me pick up the lamp and install it myself. A few questions:

- Does it sound like the lamp just blew...rather violently?
- Is the lamp replacement easy enough that the chances of messing something up are minimal?
- How to do you find out how many hours the lamp has on it?

I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered somewhere in this thread, but a search using "lamp" and "replacement" did not provide the information.

Thanks.

If it sounds good, it is good.

- Duke Ellington
post #20415 of 23988 Old 01-24-2009, 05:53 AM

I've had mt 50 ' sxrd since march 2006 with absolutely no problems.About a month ago the picture would go off and the standby light would start flashing.This got progressively worse to the point it would flash 53 times before the picture would reappear.I cleaned the big fan in back with no results.I removed the bulb and cleaned the housing area but the problem persisted.I purchased a sony bulb w/housing for $150 on ebay. Since its been replaced the picture looks as good as new w/no problems. Knock on wood.
post #20416 of 23988 Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the lamp does dim as it ages. They can "explode" when they die, although the lamp housing usually contains the pieces.

The lamp is real easy to replace. The instructions are in your owner's manual. Instructions for accessing the lamp hours in the service menu are here, in the first post of this thread. I would recommend vacuuming out the lamp housing area when you change the lamp.

Be seeing you!
post #20417 of 23988 Old 01-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Liked: 12
Thanks, just made the repair. Also vacuumed out the lamp cubby and the vents near the lamp.

If it sounds good, it is good.

- Duke Ellington
post #20418 of 23988 Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 AM

How much quality am I costing myself by using component cables to connect my xbr1 and my receiver? I have an older Denon 1804 with no HDMI output. Until recently I thought my xbr1 was incapable of 1080p, so I wasn't that worried about it, but now I understand a little better how it works.
post #20419 of 23988 Old 01-25-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappie_BR View Post

How much quality am I costing myself by using component cables to connect my xbr1 and my receiver? I have an older Denon 1804 with no HDMI output. Until recently I thought my xbr1 was incapable of 1080p, so I wasn't that worried about it, but now I understand a little better how it works.

None to speak of. The XBR1's won't accept 1080p inputs.

Be seeing you!
post #20420 of 23988 Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 AM

My dvds don't look that great. Am I understanding correctly that they are being upconverted to 1080p by the TV?
post #20421 of 23988 Old 01-25-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
I'm reposting this owner's calibration report here so that other owner's will be able to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post

These are the results of a "Rescue Calibration" performed by Rayjr on my Sony KDS-R60XBR1. I call it a rescue calibration because the initial calibration was done by a total amateur who advertised himself as a professional. He ran one test with a sensor and a couple of tests by eye and gave me no reports. After posting how unhappy I was with the way I was treated, Rayjr offered to come in and do a real calibration.

These are the results of the original guy's so-called calibration. This is not the report he gave me, as he didn't issue a report (looking at it, I can see why). These are the initial measurements by Rayjr.

Attachment 131195

Apparently, this is what the first guy considered to be a flat response.

These are the results after Rayjr's much more thorough (ie, he actually used multiple sensor tests and multiple "by eye" tests) results. They are pretty much night and day.

Attachment 131196

A big, big thanks to Rayjr. If anyone else in the Los Angeles area is considering a calibration, I would totally recommend him. Unlike the first guy, Rayjr made sure I was involved every step of the way. I mostly watch TV in the dark, so he came at night (the other guy wouldn't work past 5:00pm and said that all of the light leaking into the room from outdoors "Wouldn't make any difference"). If I thought Rayjr might do something better, he'd say "Ok, let's see if your way works, if not, we'll bring it back to my way" instead of "No, that's not going to make any difference... besides, this model doesn't have a service menu anyway."

Kudos!

I will also add it to the the RPTV (Post#1) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.
post #20422 of 23988 Old 01-25-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My dvds don't look that great. Am I understanding correctly that they are being upconverted to 1080p by the TV?

True. These, and all newer TV's, convert signals to their native resolution.

Be seeing you!
post #20423 of 23988 Old 01-25-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:

True. These, and all newer TV's, convert signals to their native resolution.

So to get a better picture on DVD, the only thing I can do is go to Blu-ray? If so, that's hardly a disaster. I would need to upgrade my receiver though, to maintain my switching like I like it.
post #20424 of 23988 Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

Who has the best price on a replacement lamp with housing for the Sony XBR1 SXRD? I know Sony Style wants $250.

Check out my post in 20405. Pricegrabber had a brand new one I just recently installed for only $129.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #20425 of 23988 Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So to get a better picture on DVD, the only thing I can do is go to Blu-ray? If so, that's hardly a disaster. I would need to upgrade my receiver though, to maintain my switching like I like it.

You may be able to get a better picture from SD DVDs with a good upconverting DVD player.

It's true that your tv upconverts all incoming signals to its native resolution of 1080p (with the exception of an incoming 1080p signal, which your tv won't accept). But the quality of the upconversion your tv performs may not be as good as the upconversion done by some of the better upconverting DVD players such as the Oppo. So you can frequently get a better picture by letting a good quality upconverting DVD player do the upconversion to 1080i, then let your tv deinterlace to 1080p.

I let my Denon 3910 do the upconverting, and the resulting image on my KDS-R60XBR1 is near HD quality. Looks as good or better than most of my cable HD channels.
post #20426 of 23988 Old 01-26-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

None to speak of. The XBR1's won't accept 1080p inputs.

It will over firewire.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #20427 of 23988 Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 193
Any word from Sony on the lawsuit results? It's been almost a year since I've heard anything.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #20428 of 23988 Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Any word from Sony on the lawsuit results? It's been almost a year since I've heard anything.

The lawsuit was settled quite a while ago.

WELCOME TO THE SONY SXRD REAR PROJECTION TELEVISION CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT AND INFORMATION WEB SITE.

Be seeing you!
post #20429 of 23988 Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The lawsuit was settled quite a while ago.

WELCOME TO THE SONY SXRD REAR PROJECTION TELEVISION CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT AND INFORMATION WEB SITE.

A13. I wonder how much of the $1.6 million the attorneys got that they claimed for the "fees and the expenses" that they have incurred in this Lawsuit? As usual, in class action lawsuits, the attorneys make out like bandits!
post #20430 of 23988 Old 01-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

It will over firewire.

Do today's receivers typically include a firewire out?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100
Gear in this thread - Xl5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page