Advertisement

post #182 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrobert View Post

And why would it look better over firewire than over HDMI? Both are digital, no?

Firewire is not practical, it's my understanding that it requires an MPEG-2 stream. Are we going back to the stone ages of using MGEG-2 for everything?

This is a gimmick at best, firewire is becoming more and more useless as time goes on for a TV to support. Firewire support for 1080p is all but a non sequitur.

You have to rip to a Mac, but they look much better because the TV does all of the processing vs. the DVD player, so basically the internal decoder on the TV does everything. Via firewire raw mpeg-2 data is sent down the pipe. Via HDMI, the signal is actually processed on the DVD player and then data that is passed down is only picture information that tells the display what to display. Same reason why CableCard looks better than using a set-top. The only limitation I can see is you have to use Dolby Digital, and not DTS when doing it this way. A small price to pay for a much better picture imo..

I believe the reason they don't have DVD players that output via firewire (AFAIK) is they're worried about piracy. But considering how easy it is these days, why not just give us a firewire output player, at least for the enthusiasts?
post #183 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombthroat View Post

Please take a picture and post it of the sticker on your box indicating where it was manufactured (Japan or USA).

Thanks!

USA...I was curious because I checked back with your picture, remembering that yours said "Made In Japan" whereas mine says "Assembled In USA."

J.

Custom Built For The Win!
post #184 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just got my 60 inch set going. I have Star Wars attack of the clones running. I will get some pics up before the night is over. I cleared my calender for the evening.

My initial impressions are that the set is GREAT!!. I have seen TONS of HD sets and this is as impressive as any set I have ever seen, even the Qualia and Panasonic Plasmas.

The SDE is almost non-existant. I have looked at the tv from many different angles and really can not see it. Nothing like over RPTVs.

The blacks are great and the color is incredible. I still have a 65hx81 and would not consider this TV in the same category. REDS and vibrant organces are great.

I now need to go to my cable company to exchange my box because the HDMI plug on the back is not activated. I am going to pick up a cable card from them as well.

I will get more info as the night progresses. All I have to say is WOW from someone that is not easily WOW by big screen TVs easily.
post #185 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 05:46 PM

as you guys get these sets, please post where you got them! I can't find a place anywhere around here (philadelphia) thats going to have them for another week and a half at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

Just got my 60 inch set going..

post #186 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm getting excited!!!

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #187 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

USA...I was curious because I checked back with your picture, remembering that yours said "Made In Japan" whereas mine says "Assembled In USA."

J.

Huh... interesting.

As a side note I called Sunshine and asked about a 50"... they said they would not have them until Nov.

This could indicate they are using a totally different supply channel??? IMO, I don't think it's big deal though.

"Some people are like Slinkies--not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
post #188 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

I'm getting excited!!!

A little too much info....

"Some people are like Slinkies--not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
post #189 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 203
As of a few minutes ago, my delivery is still holding for 10/04. I'm going to just wait and see, I don't want to get too excited
post #190 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyUSP40 View Post

A little too much info....

LOL

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #191 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got mine at Myer Emco. Still working on things......
post #192 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 07:10 PM

I got mine at a local Circuit City. Order it.
post #193 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by skijackz View Post

I'm moving into a new house in a couple of months and I'll be getting the TV first and have my DVD player ready to go to test the set. Trying to get the cable company to come out again could take a week or more, there is no way I'm waiting that long to watch football.

Ski

I was thinking of using the dvd player as a test, but that wouldnt be HD. However, i do have a 23" Samsung HD set in my computer room, so i bet i could have them hook up one HD box in there and get that working, then i could move the set to the den where i will ultimately put the SXRD and have them use that to test the HD box in there. Maybe that way they will be willing to give me 2 HD boxes.

Have any of you guys who now have the set used the PIP yet? If so, what are you using for the PIP signal? I believe it wont take an HD source. If you have a cable box, do you need a second one for the PIP to watch a different channel? What if you have a dvd recorder, can you record one channel while watching another one with an HD cable box? Can you do that with a dvr? Can the dvr be the source for the PIP? Sorry for so many questions! Anyway, have you tried the PIP yet? I love to watch sports on it while watching a regular show on the bigger picture, and i do NOT want to lose this ability.

I cant believe people are still mentioning SDE too. Once and for all, can any of you see SDE on your sets? I wouldnt think so.

never take life seriously
post #194 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Did Sunshine indicate the price of the 50"?

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #195 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 07:28 PM

Quote:

J.

Bombthroat,

I would not worry about it. I thought I remember reading the 1st 50 sets were going to be built in Japan by the Sony engineers. I rather have a set that was made in Japan than one from the assembly line in PA.
post #196 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv4 View Post

Bombthroat,

I would not worry about it. I thought I remember reading the 1st 50 sets were going to be built in Japan by the Sony engineers. I rather have a set that was made in Japan than one from the assembly line in PA.

Yeah, I don't think it makes any difference, but the way I read it was that the parts were manufactured in Japan and assembled in the USA. It certainly doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other, but I thought that it was interesting that they were labeled differently. I'd post a pic of my label, but I forgot my camera at work today and all I've got is my old Nikon that I gave my brother that he just returned w/o the requisite USB cable.

J.

post #197 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I just finished unpacking my set, and all I can say is that this damn TV is frickin' beautiful! Unfortunately, I won't have it hooked up until Sunday, but I'm certainly looking forward to some HD football (all day!). I've got to finally put a final coat of oil on the TV stand before setting up the SXRD, so the pressure's really on! I attached a couple of pics of the TV stand that I took earlier this week.

J.
LL
LL

post #198 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum360 View Post

Did Sunshine indicate the price of the 50"?

They had no price on it yet.

At least he didn't pull some number out of his hate and ask me for a credit card number. Makes me feel a little better about Sunshine. Not sure I'll order from them but depending on the price... it could happen. I still hope to buy locally at a good price.

post #199 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 09:27 PM

wow, thats gorgeous...nice work man!

Quote:

OK, I just finished unpacking my set, and all I can say is that this damn TV is frickin' beautiful! Unfortunately, I won't have it hooked up until Sunday, but I'm certainly looking forward to some HD football (all day!). I've got to finally put a final coat of oil on the TV stand before setting up the SXRD, so the pressure's really on! I attached a couple of pics of the TV stand that I took earlier this week.

J.

post #200 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:

J.

CONGRATULATION!!

Jason & Stepmback

Now, if you decide to post some pics., please, remember to post some from SD cable & DVD, just to compare & check the DRC..
Thanks in advance.

Oh, Happy day!!
post #201 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

J.

Screw the Oil Id have it hooked up and in action immediatly.
post #202 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manktank View Post

wow, thats gorgeous...nice work man!

Thanks! It's been so hard finding the time to work on it, being back to work (teaching) and with a 5-month-old son...not too fond of the table saw! I was really hoping to have it done before the SXRD arrived, but this is good motivation to finish it up and be done with it. I'm pretty happy with the design, as it houses our fairly large Paradigm CC-570 center channel speaker, the XBox and controllers, and a spot for various remote controls. I'm almost done with the A/V component tower, so I can finally get my Denon 3805 off it's own box! Then it's time to wrestle with the media storage...

J.

post #203 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosP View Post

Now, if you decide to post some pics...

Like the professional dumbass that I am, I left my good Sony 5.1 camera at work and all I have is my old 2.1 Nikon that my brother gave back to me (when he got himself a real camera), but I don't have the USB cable for it or a card reader, so I'm kind of screwed (not really, because I have the SXRD! ).

I don't have a site where I can host hi-res pics anyways, so photos aren't going to mean a whole lot at the crappy resolution that I can post here.

J.

post #204 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

Screw the Oil Id have it hooked up and in action immediatly.

Even before you learned how to spell immediately?

J.

post #205 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 PM

Quote:

J.

Not bad for an old school teacher. Seriously though it looks great! Having a fair amount of experience in wood working and such I know you put a lot into that and it shows.
Look forward to some PICS and your impressions of the set. In particular how your 3910 works with the set as that will most likely be the player I'll get as soon as the TV hits my stand.

BTW, I most have missed something... I thought you were going to pass on this years SXRD?

post #206 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, I most have missed something... I thought you were going to pass on this years SXRD?

Once I realized that the wife was on-board, I knew that I had to take advantage of the situation. I've been waiting for years to upgrade our 9-yr old tube set, so another few months wouldn't kill me, but it comes back to the "good enough for now" mantra that I continue to chant over and over...The SXRD is undoubtedly a killer set...despite the non-1080p inputs and side speakers and recycled case. The fact that it's probably the best set available in its price range makes it good enough for me for right now. I'm not the type to upgrade every year or two (though I'd like to be), so this set has to last for a while. There was a fleeting moment of disclarity (sp?) where I doubted the SXRD, but I have since come to my senses...

J.

post #207 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombthroat View Post

Here's the link to the HD pics I promised earlier tonight. I'm not really that happy with the way they turned out overall but I guess since you guys seem to be starved for pics they'll be better than nothing. WARNING!!! 56k BEWARE!!! Bombthroat's Pics of High Def Programming

Enjoy!

Speaking as one who has a 60" SXRD on order, I was concerned when I clicked on the images to enlarge them to full resolution. I saw artifacts that I also observed when watching a DVD on the 70" Qualia last week. The problem is probably most easily seen in the last two stills. There is a repetition of the picture information in the background above and below a number of the brighter objects in the scene. Like an incomplete ghost, or a boiling effect in the image. Is it from having Scan Velocity Modulation on? The salesman for the Qualia tried to attribute it to one thing after another, including a very expensive DVD player that he claimed was revealing flaws in the transfer. Am I the only one to notice this? I was hoping that it would not show up on the SXRDs.

Dennis

post #208 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In particular how your 3910 works with the set as that will most likely be the player I'll get as soon as the TV hits my stand.

Though I haven't used the magnificent 3910 with the SXRD, I have used it with our HS10 and an 120" screen in addition to our 35" Magnavox tubeset and the perfomance of the 3910 never ceases to amaze me. I'm more into audio than video, so the flexibility of BM settings was a big selling point for me, especially with the SACD and DVD-A that I scavenge for. The 3910 is a killer player all around, audio and video alike...very flexible and configurable.

J.

post #209 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, other than looking at it sitting next to me, I haven't really seen the SXRD yet either! Like I said, I hope to have it "connected" by Sunday for some HD football action! It's frustrating to have it sitting right here knowing that I won't hook it up for a day or two...neglectful SXRD parent!

J.

post #210 of 24005 Old 09-30-2005, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp View Post

P.S. Nice stand!

Thanks! It has been quite a project!