Ah ya.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23492 of 24004 Old 07-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i saw that thread boa. Yes, it might be a blessing in disguise indeed. But lo and behold, after coming out of my character and i literally bombarding them with expletives repeatedly, wouldn't you know it, 10 minutes later after giving it to them, the card suddenly worked and i was charged. Coincidence? I think not. Anyway, i will see what transpires from here on out. As asked before, should i not at least be satisfied by sony somehow for them wasting my time and putting me thru frustration, not to mention for lying blatantly and actually having me cancel a family vacation for the kids due to them telling me that the unit was to arrive by a certain time?
post #23493 of 24004 Old 07-30-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RasFabilous View Post

i saw that thread boa. Yes, it might be a blessing in disguise indeed. But lo and behold, after coming out of my character and i literally bombarding them with expletives repeatedly, wouldn't you know it, 10 minutes later after giving it to them, the card suddenly worked and i was charged. Coincidence? I think not. Anyway, i will see what transpires from here on out. As asked before, should i not at least be satisfied by sony somehow for them wasting my time and putting me thru frustration, not to mention for lying blatantly and actually having me cancel a family vacation for the kids due to them telling me that the unit was to arrive by a certain time?

Nope! Just write it off as having attended another class at the school of hard knocks and enjoy your TV when it arrives. And congratulations for perservering and getting the job done.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #23494 of 24004 Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

"Sorry kids, my new TV is more important than you are!" You really cancelled a family vacation for the kids because of a TV? Btw, Sony didn't make you cancel your vacation. You chose to do that.
post #23495 of 24004 Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Out of fear of taking the whole back of my TV apart, I decided to just replace the large box fan in the back of the TV even though it appeared to be working just fine (I could see it spinning, didn't need a nudge or anything). I figured maybe there was an issue with it just not running fast enough. Anyway, went to a local shop, picked up the fan and installed it. TV has been working fine for 1.5 weeks now, knock on wood it stays that way!
post #23496 of 24004 Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

"Sorry kids, my new TV is more important than you are!" You really cancelled a family vacation for the kids because of a TV? Btw, Sony didn't make you cancel your vacation. You chose to do that.

Evidently you are missing the point of the matter. Your corny cynical comment doesn't cut it. If you have nothing of value to say, save your comments and tick to whatever u do best. Fact is it should not take this long to get the replacement unit, and, one cannot be given an answer such as "card is denied" without being able to give a reason.
post #23497 of 24004 Old 08-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Nope! Just write it off as having attended another class at the school of hard knocks and enjoy your TV when it arrives. And congratulations for perservering and getting the job done.

That's what i am doing Torqdog and thanks i really went thru hell with them.

Update!! 8/4/11 ... So to my surprise, i got no call from "the shipping company" and my bell rang and who was it? Fedex with the tv!! Guess that fire i lit under their ass worked!!
post #23498 of 24004 Old 08-03-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post

Just had something weird happen with my 60" XBR1. Had the Verizon FIOS box connected into the HDMI Video 6. Picture went black, but sound was still on, light was still green on the front of the set, so I know the bulb was still ok. I switched the cable to Video 7, and the picture was fine. Any idea what this is? What do I need to do to fix this from happening again? Thanks for the help. John

That sounds like the issue my R60XBR1 just started to have this evening, except both my HDMI inputs appear to be dead. A friend of mine with the same TV had it happen to one of his and then a few weeks ago he other HDMI input failed. My receiver shows a HDMI & HDCP error message.

I started using my component inputs for now until I get this fixed. Anyone else have their HDMI inputs on their XBR1 die on them? What was the fix? Will Sony help at all?
post #23499 of 24004 Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 PM
J\V

Yes, I've heard of the HDMI board failures, and I believe that parts are almost impossible to get ($500+, if you can find them?). Don't hold me to it because it's been awhile, but be glad you can use component to little detrimental effect.

My $0.02 in a world where pennies are obsolete...

Sony KDL-60NX810 | Denon 3805 | Polk RTi8+CSi5+PSW505

My HT thread
post #23500 of 24004 Old 08-05-2011, 10:36 PM
J\V

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurbik View Post

Quick question, anybody know the value and where to sell a dead KDSR50-XBR1 (It has either a lamp driver or fan problem) and I'm done trying to get it fixed? I have it sitting on a shelf in the garage and just bought a cheap 42 LED to replace it for now.
I took it it in to have the fans looked at they say they cleaned and fixed them replaced the lamp for 279, fix lasted < 3 months. I'm not sure I want to invest any more in this TV. Bought in late 2005 and tired of fighting with Sony, had the OB replaced in '08 and it seems to still be okay for now.

Maybe sell your HDMI board to the guy two posts up?

My $0.02 in a world where pennies are obsolete...

Sony KDL-60NX810 | Denon 3805 | Polk RTi8+CSi5+PSW505

My HT thread
post #23501 of 24004 Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Evidently you are missing the point of the matter. Your corny cynical comment doesn't cut it. If you have nothing of value to say, save your comments and tick to whatever u do best. Fact is it should not take this long to get the replacement unit, and, one cannot be given an answer such as "card is denied" without being able to give a reason.

If its not the point then I'm curious to know why you claimed that Sony had you cancel a family vacation for the kids. Anyway, evidently you don't know much about credit card processing. A merchant is typically not provided with the reason why a credit card is declined so can't provide the reason to you. You have to contact your credit card company for the reason.
post #23502 of 24004 Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 AM

Awesome. Got the confirmation of the sticker status from sony last night and saw my account was minus the charges fr the new replacement set.

ANyone have any idea from the charges to the delivery notification? how long do i have to wait?

super pumped.

thanks for the advise on this site, i though i was stuck with a 3000 lemon.
post #23503 of 24004 Old 08-09-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baintronic View Post

Awesome. Got the confirmation of the sticker status from sony last night and saw my account was minus the charges fr the new replacement set.

ANyone have any idea from the charges to the delivery notification? how long do i have to wait?

super pumped.

thanks for the advise on this site, i though i was stuck with a 3000 lemon.

My "event" happened last December. They charged my account on the 23rd IIRC and said it would take three weeks. We decided to go ahead and drive down to the Bay Area to visit family and returned home on the 28th to find a message on the recorder saying they would be by the next day (29th) to deliver my TV. Funny thing was I didn't receive the delivery confirmation e-mail from Sony until the 30th.

I've heard of others that waited a couple/three weeks for theirs. Bottom line, when it shows up is when you'll get it.

post #23504 of 24004 Old 08-10-2011, 02:43 AM

Hi all,

I've been searching through this thread trying to find a similar problem to the one I'm seeing with my TV but I haven't found quite the right match yet, was wondering if anyone had any idea if there's anything I could do.

Basically, when I run the TV off a high def input, it quite often cuts out for a brief period, the screen going black as if it's turning off then turning back on, and when the image reappears I get the resolution indicator at the top left. When it does happen, it usually does it two or three times, often for no more than a second or two, but sometimes for up to ten seconds.

This happens almost exclusively from a PS3. While I've seen it happening from an XBox360 in the past I usually see it now either when playing BluRay 1080p/i, or games and 720. I don't see it when running my satellite decoder, either at standard TV res or high def, and I don't think I've seen it on the XBox for some time.

I was originally convinced that it was a port issue, as it seemed to start after a burglary when the inputs got yanked out of the ports on the back, but I switched ports and had a technician come in to replace bits and pieces and that doesn't seem to have helped. I've been on the phone to Sony and they just pointed me to the repair people I had out, looks like there's not much support down here in New Zealand.

If anyone has any ideas, or can point me to another reply in the thread I'd be really grateful, I'm getting close to ditching it for something else as it's getting really disruptive. I'm trying not to believe it does it at the most important moment in any disc, but it's hard not to anthropomorphise it
post #23505 of 24004 Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFW View Post
Hi all,

I've been searching through this thread trying to find a similar problem to the one I'm seeing with my TV but I haven't found quite the right match yet, was wondering if anyone had any idea if there's anything I could do.

Basically, when I run the TV off a high def input, it quite often cuts out for a brief period, the screen going black as if it's turning off then turning back on, and when the image reappears I get the resolution indicator at the top left. When it does happen, it usually does it two or three times, often for no more than a second or two, but sometimes for up to ten seconds.

This happens almost exclusively from a PS3. While I've seen it happening from an XBox360 in the past I usually see it now either when playing BluRay 1080p/i, or games and 720. I don't see it when running my satellite decoder, either at standard TV res or high def, and I don't think I've seen it on the XBox for some time.

I was originally convinced that it was a port issue, as it seemed to start after a burglary when the inputs got yanked out of the ports on the back, but I switched ports and had a technician come in to replace bits and pieces and that doesn't seem to have helped. I've been on the phone to Sony and they just pointed me to the repair people I had out, looks like there's not much support down here in New Zealand.

If anyone has any ideas, or can point me to another reply in the thread I'd be really grateful, I'm getting close to ditching it for something else as it's getting really disruptive. I'm trying not to believe it does it at the most important moment in any disc, but it's hard not to anthropomorphise it
"anthropomorphise". great word - had to look that up to recall it.

1st off, I assume you have a Sony R60 or 50 XBR1(?).

Are you trying all inputs - both component & hdmi?

The obvious would seem to be that all or some of your inputs got damaged.
post #23506 of 24004 Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa12 View Post

"anthropomorphise". great word - had to look that up to recall it.

1st off, I assume you have a Sony R60 or 50 XBR1(?).

Are you trying all inputs - both component & hdmi?

The obvious would seem to be that all or some of your inputs got damaged.

Oops, so focused on trying to describe the exact situation I forgot to describe the equipment This is a KS-60R200A SXRD (at least those are the numbers I found on it).

The reason I'm not sure that it's specifically a port issue is that all the devices, both the working ones and the one that fails, run through the same port (one of the hdmi ports). They're all going via an Onkyo TX-SR607. The problem did happen before I added that to the system, and before and after I had what I think was the logic board of the TV replaced.

So of all devices, through one port, only one of them is now failing and it seems only to fail in high def modes. Now I come to think of it though, it doesn't fail doing HD through any device other than the PS3 so perhaps the problem lies there rather than in the TV. The reason that didn't seem likely before was that the other devices sometimes used to do it as well.

I'm probably just clouding the issue
post #23507 of 24004 Old 08-12-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFW View Post

Oops, so focused on trying to describe the exact situation I forgot to describe the equipment This is a KS-60R200A SXRD (at least those are the numbers I found on it).

The reason I'm not sure that it's specifically a port issue is that all the devices, both the working ones and the one that fails, run through the same port (one of the hdmi ports). They're all going via an Onkyo TX-SR607. The problem did happen before I added that to the system, and before and after I had what I think was the logic board of the TV replaced.

So of all devices, through one port, only one of them is now failing and it seems only to fail in high def modes. Now I come to think of it though, it doesn't fail doing HD through any device other than the PS3 so perhaps the problem lies there rather than in the TV. The reason that didn't seem likely before was that the other devices sometimes used to do it as well.

I'm probably just clouding the issue

have you tried switching around the connections to the ports/inputs on the
Onkyo?

tried different hdmi cable from the ps3 to the onkyo?

just trying to troubleshoot it to determine the specific problem. trial & error is involved there.
post #23508 of 24004 Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Howdy folks,
This is for the owners of KDS60XBR1 that have gone through the 'Sony Listens' and gotten a replacement. I would like those of you who have completed the steps to chime in so I can get an aggregate of the process - I have posted on the Facebook page, and been prompted to open a ticket, etc. Also, any model #'s that 60" owners have gotten would be great.

I have a friend with a 50" SXRD who is in process of replacement (his 2nd OB has failed too) so I will have that experience to go by also. My situation is a bit different - I'm more than happy to comply with Sony's requests however the thought of a rep needing to come to the house presents a special problem - Let's just say my elderly father gets a bit unruly when strangers invade his space - So I'm trying to find out what percentage of you had to have reps come out to verify. It seems fair, I know, but I just don't like to subject him to that stress for the sake of a discounted TV (and his eyes are so bad he doesn't see the yellow we all see!).
Any input is greatly appreciated!
post #23509 of 24004 Old 08-29-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

All that was required of me was a photo of the TV with the blob and the serial # below. No one came to verify the problem.

The old XBR1 has been relegated to occasional use in the bedroom, where it's 60" size makes it look awesome!
post #23510 of 24004 Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

All that was required of me was a photo of the TV with the blob and the serial # below. No one came to verify the problem.

The old XBR1 has been relegated to occasional use in the bedroom, where it's 60" size makes it look awesome!

The tv, or the blob? lol
post #23511 of 24004 Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

the tv, or the blob? Lol

both!!!
post #23512 of 24004 Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Hughh, I only needed to send in a photo with the event # written on an 8.5 x 11" paper and taped to the front of the TV for the purpose of indentifying that it was the actual set in question. I was a frequent contributor to the facebook page and NEVER saw anyone indicate a Sony rep wanted to come to their home and physically verify the problem. Maybe they've changed their policy and that could be easily verified by other folks on the facebook page currently going through the process right now.

As far as the replacement is concerned, I received a 60EX500 for 150.00, free shipping. I can say that I don't miss my 60XBR1 at all. This new TV is better in most regards and only suffers from off axis viewing. No bulbs to replace, no fans to worry about failing and a much sharper image as well as accurate colors make the replacement a real winner, even if it isn't the flagship model it replaced.

Yeah, I'm a happy boy!

post #23513 of 24004 Old 08-29-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, Torqdog is right! The old TV was perhaps a precedence setter. But, todays TVs are far superior!!!
post #23514 of 24004 Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I also have a kdsr70xbr2 with it's 3rd optical block failure. Sony is offering me a Kds55ex500 for free. Anybody know the quality of this set? I will probably sell it and use the proceeds towards a really good unit, 65' to 70". What might it's value be on the market? They also offered me a 60ex720 for $875. However, I don't plan to send any more $ to Sony. Thank you
Mrfixit58
post #23515 of 24004 Old 08-30-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

^ You can find out what others think by going to this forum here.

post #23516 of 24004 Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

Howdy folks,
This is for the owners of KDS60XBR1 that have gone through the 'Sony Listens' and gotten a replacement. I would like those of you who have completed the steps to chime in so I can get an aggregate of the process - I have posted on the Facebook page, and been prompted to open a ticket, etc. Also, any model #'s that 60" owners have gotten would be great.

I have a friend with a 50" SXRD who is in process of replacement (his 2nd OB has failed too) so I will have that experience to go by also. My situation is a bit different - I'm more than happy to comply with Sony's requests however the thought of a rep needing to come to the house presents a special problem - Let's just say my elderly father gets a bit unruly when strangers invade his space - So I'm trying to find out what percentage of you had to have reps come out to verify. It seems fair, I know, but I just don't like to subject him to that stress for the sake of a discounted TV (and his eyes are so bad he doesn't see the yellow we all see!).
Any input is greatly appreciated!

I have the 60XBR1. I was offered the KDL-55EX500 and KDL-60EX720. I asked for the XBR 55HX929. Sony made an offer on it to me which I accepted. Supposed to ship this Friday.....

Even though I didn't have the $$ for it. I asked about getting the 65HX929 just for the hell of it. Sony said no to that.....

All I needed was a picture of the XBR1 with my event # and the sn sticker on the back of the TV......

Gonna miss the Alien Green Glob liveing in the XBR1

In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......
post #23517 of 24004 Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, looking at your jpg makes me hungry for a big bowl of guacamole!!!
post #23518 of 24004 Old 08-31-2011, 07:28 PM

Cygnus, did you have to put cash towards the better display, xbrhx929?
mrfixit58
post #23519 of 24004 Old 08-31-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit58 View Post

Cygnus, did you have to put cash towards the better display, xbrhx929?
mrfixit58

Yes an xtra $290.......

In the Kingdom of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......
post #23520 of 24004 Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX2112 View Post

Yes an xtra $290.......

While I definitely have the green blob, it is mild in comparison to the one posted above me. It's mainly visible on white or light backgrounds as a cloud. Is there any value for a TV like this? I also have an extra new factory bulb. Thanlks
Mrfixit
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100
Gear in this thread - Xl5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page