http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SONY-8835...hu-rd_add_1_dp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23582 of 23988 Old 10-05-2011, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No blinking lights,solid green light. I even went and changed the lamp to a new one. Still happens. Now I do not even get any picture or sound. Turn the set on and all that is displayed is the Video 7 up in the left hand corner. I contacted customer service, and they offered me a replacement set. I asked if I could get the HX929,they said yes. I just got off the phone with them. Just need to get all the paperwork together now and send it in.
post #23583 of 23988 Old 10-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you tried other feeds, Or switching connections. Maybe the connection at the Video 7 itself went bad?
post #23584 of 23988 Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Micro,I have tried swithching inputs,tried new hdmi cables,all with the same result. Just has me stumped.
post #23585 of 23988 Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I posted this in another thread, but I'm reposting it here to see if anybody has any ideas.

We have a 60" Sony RP-LCD in our house that's connected to our DVR box. The DVR box kept shutting down on its own, going into a protect mode. We are using U-Verse by the way, and have one CRT TV, two LCDs, and a DLP, the DLP is the only one causing problems.

The cable guy tried changing HDMI cables, didn't work, and tried using component video, didn't work. He ran some tests on his little device and apparently the TV is putting out voltage that's causing the cable box to shut down. Unfortunately, I wasn't home when he was here, only my mom was, so I don't know exactly what all he said, but my mom says it was something about 50V+ when it should be 25V or less. He said that the red is the worst offender, and showed us the readings on the little device he plugs into component out, and it indeed did show a reading that was much farther out of balance than the other two.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to eliminate the voltage feedback? The cable guy didn't know what to do aside from "Buy a new TV", which is a lame way to solve a problem. We'd rather not have to go buy a new TV, our DLP is working fine and does us well, so unless we have to replace it, we won't.

post #23586 of 23988 Old 10-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post

I posted this in another thread, but I'm reposting it here to see if anybody has any ideas.

We have a 60" Sony DLP in our house that's connected to our DVR box. The DVR box kept shutting down on its own, going into a protect mode. We are using U-Verse by the way, and have one CRT TV, two LCDs, and a DLP, the DLP is the only one causing problems.

The cable guy tried changing HDMI cables, didn't work, and tried using component video, didn't work. He ran some tests on his little device and apparently the TV is putting out voltage that's causing the cable box to shut down. Unfortunately, I wasn't home when he was here, only my mom was, so I don't know exactly what all he said, but my mom says it was something about 50V+ when it should be 25V or less. He said that the red is the worst offender, and showed us the readings on the little device he plugs into component out, and it indeed did show a reading that was much farther out of balance than the other two.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to eliminate the voltage feedback? The cable guy didn't know what to do aside from "Buy a new TV", which is a lame way to solve a problem. We'd rather not have to go buy a new TV, our DLP is working fine and does us well, so unless we have to replace it, we won't.

Edit: after re-reading I see you did try component...sorry

You mentioned 'component cables' and 'HDMI cables'. Do you have the same issue using component cables? I have a Sony SXRD, that refuses to display my TiVo using HDMI, but working for 3yrs now on the tv's component input.

Good Luck

Chris C
post #23587 of 23988 Old 10-08-2011, 03:06 PM

Yes. I've tried both component, and HDMI, both of them cause problems.

I'd rather not have to replace the TV, or get rid of U-Verse. We've already tried cable TV here and it's terrible, so DirecTV may be the only option if U-Verse doesn't work for us with our TV.

post #23588 of 23988 Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post

We have a 60" Sony DLP in our house that's connected to our DVR box.

I didn't know that Sony ever marketed a DLP set.
post #23589 of 23988 Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3193 View Post

I didn't know that Sony ever marketed a DLP set.

Dangit, I copied and pasted the post wrong, it's a rear projection LCD, the model we're discussing here. I forgot to fix that when I copied over the post.

post #23590 of 23988 Old 10-09-2011, 11:07 AM

Has anyone ever used the Sony recycling program? I need to get my 60"XBR1 out of here before the 55"HX929 gets here. Thanks for the info
post #23591 of 23988 Old 10-09-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nspliu View Post

Anyone has any clues on how to resove this? I am so tired of dealing with this TV! I can't get a picture of the OB problem and I don't want to replace the fan or lamp is the OB is on the blink again.

Appreciate any help or direction.

Thanks

I got my SXRD replacement very easily. My issue was that areas that should be black have a blueish tint to them. It wasn't very noticeable during the daytime but at night it was. I wasn't sure if it would be noticeable in the pics but I simply dimmed the lights enough that the TV could be seen clearly, put a dark scene on the TV with my event ID, and then took a pic. When the pic came out it was about 2-3 time more blue than was I saw in person. And honestly because TVs with inadequate black levels such as an SXRD, the black areas will likely show up somewhat blueish with a point and shoot camera anyway.

And honestly once you mail in your S/N sticker I would assume that Sony isn't going to deny you. I don't know that for sure but that's my guess.
post #23592 of 23988 Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
FYI for all. I wasn't really interested in any of the Sony LCDs as the SXRD is now a 2nd TV so I figured I would buy the new TV and sell it for a profit and get a new TV in a year when prices drop even more on larger TVs and hopefully my 'blueish" SXRD will hold out for a while since it's not used all that often.

I ended up making about a $740 profit. It was nice to put such little effort into this and getting something back for it.
post #23593 of 23988 Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

That is awesome news!. I suspect mine might be a similar situation, At least I hope so. I have always taken very good care of this TV. Periodically would pull it away from the wall and vacuum all visible areas to keep Dust to a minimum. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can save it with a simple fan replacement.

I'll update once I get the new one installed!.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyG View Post

Just curious where did you end up buying the fan from?

Rudy

Hey Guys!. Just wanted to follow up with you and let you know what happened with my swapping out the 120mm PC fan for the actual Sony Fan (oem part). I got the fan early last week and this weekend my son and I set the TV up on a stand and took the back off. Replaced the fan and powered it up!. BINGO!. No further issues!. Works flawlessly now!.

Thanks for suggesting I use the actual Sony Part.

-Brian.
post #23594 of 23988 Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Congrats!....Enjoy

Chris C
post #23595 of 23988 Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 AM

I have an interesting problem that seems simple enough, but I can't resolve. Tv was working fine for years and years. Had the OB changed out under warranty a couple years ago, no issues. Recently, when I turn on the tv, the green light would continue to flash for a minute or two constantly and then come on solid, but there wouldn't be any picture. Turned off and on a couple times and eventually the picture would come on.

Researched here and thought my lamp might be going bad. Ordered a brand new one, slapped it in, same problem. Next step was taking it apart to clean the fans. Fans were fairly clean for the most part. Tore a ribbon cable 1/2 way thru while disassembling it. Ordered a new one and replaced it, put everything back together and still same problem.

Happened to find that if I spun the 120mm fan before turning it on, the tv would turn on as normal. Easy enough, ordered a new fan and still have the same problem. Now, to turn my tv on, I have removed the back panel and I pull the 120mm fan out and spin it and then turn on the tv and it comes on like normal.

I would really not like to have to continue doing this everytime I want to turn the tv on. Anyone have any advice or info for me?

Thanks.
post #23596 of 23988 Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Hello. I'm very new at forums, so I apologize if I've violated any protocol or posted in the wrong place. I have the XBR 50 inch set, and the green blob is beginning to rear it's ugly head (don't use it that often). But it goes away after about a minute. Is there anything I can do to stop its progression so that I can continue to use this set?
post #23597 of 23988 Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyinGunny View Post

Hello. I'm very new at forums, so I apologize if I've violated any protocol or posted in the wrong place. I have the XBR 50 inch set, and the green blob is beginning to rear it's ugly head (don't use it that often). But it goes away after about a minute. Is there anything I can do to stop its progression so that I can continue to use this set?

Bummer. It sounds like your optical block is on it's way out. There's a facebook page solely dedicated to folks with defective Sony TVs. Click on this link and look around a bit, then post your problem. Many helpful folks over there will guide you through the process. Fixing this TV is possible though costly and many simply opt for the replacement program Sony is conducting.

Good luck!

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #23598 of 23988 Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 AM

Just ordered my 65HX729. I really wanted the 65HX929 but the price difference was nearly 1,000. Has anyone had experience with the 65HX729?
post #23599 of 23988 Old 10-12-2011, 08:25 AM

Thanks Torqdog.
post #23600 of 23988 Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyG View Post

Just curious where did you end up buying the fan from?

Rudy

I actually purchased it from a local TV/Electronics repair shop. When I went to pick up the fan the guy seemed very knowledgeable on the 60XBR1 and mentioned how the vast majority of the time it's the big fan in the back that fails (regarding the 4 red blinks that is). Even though my fan was powering up and physically spinning, it wasn't functioning properly. Since the replacement about 10 weeks ago I have not had any more red blinking lights (knocks on wood).
post #23601 of 23988 Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I was once a regular dispenser of tech advice in this thread. It's been quite awhile since my last log-in.

Felt compelled to share with you a little tip about those 120mm lamp heat exhaust fans: they rarely actually *need* replacement, but rather a little simple maintenance.

All you need is a lint free cloth (coffee filter is fine) and a bottle of *mineral oil* (_do not_ substitute the mineral oil with any other lube no matter how fancy it claims to be).

After removing the fan from your TV remove all excess dust. Now grip the frame of the fan firmly with one hand and grasp the hub (center circle where all the blades meet) with the other. Pull straight and firm. The fan will slide right out of its frame.

Wipe around the metal spline with the lint free cloth. Ensure that no burrs or are felt, if they are, you will need a new fan after all (very rare). Now apply -ONE DROP- and only one drop of mineral oil to the spline. Reinsert the fan into its frame, gently spin it by finger a few times and install assembly back into the TV.

I am still running the original fan in my good old 50XBR1. The lube should last a minimum of three years.

The coil/magnet system in these type of fans put out such little torque, that the slightest drag on the spline/shaft will cause it not to be capable of reaching acceptable RPM. ...Therefore the TV's computer shuts things down as a safety precaution. Mineral oil is an excellent low viscosity lubricant and is the perfect remedy for the problem.
post #23602 of 23988 Old 10-16-2011, 01:09 PM

Have a 70" XBR with failing optical block. After reading to contact Sony Listens, what display should I be pushing for with no added cost. On my first call to sony, the offered me a 55" EX500 no cost. Seems like they should do better.
Thanks Mrfixit
post #23603 of 23988 Old 10-16-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit58 View Post

Have a 70" XBR with failing optical block. After reading to contact Sony Listens, what display should I be pushing for with no added cost. On my first call to sony, the offered me a 55" EX500 no cost. Seems like they should do better.
Thanks Mrfixit

I was firm in requesting a 60" to replace my 60" XBR1 and got it.
post #23604 of 23988 Old 10-16-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

I was firm in requesting a 60" to replace my 60" XBR1 and got it.

Ditto though it cost me $150.00 which as far as I'm concerned, was a steal.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #23605 of 23988 Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

I was once a regular dispenser of tech advice in this thread. It's been quite awhile since my last log-in.

Felt compelled to share with you a little tip about those 120mm lamp heat exhaust fans: they rarely actually *need* replacement, but rather a little simple maintenance.

All you need is a lint free cloth (coffee filter is fine) and a bottle of *mineral oil* (_do not_ substitute the mineral oil with any other lube no matter how fancy it claims to be).

After removing the fan from your TV remove all excess dust. Now grip the frame of the fan firmly with one hand and grasp the hub (center circle where all the blades meet) with the other. Pull straight and firm. The fan will slide right out of its frame.

Wipe around the metal spline with the lint free cloth. Ensure that no burrs or are felt, if they are, you will need a new fan after all (very rare). Now apply -ONE DROP- and only one drop of mineral oil to the spline. Reinsert the fan into its frame, gently spin it by finger a few times and install assembly back into the TV.

I am still running the original fan in my good old 50XBR1. The lube should last a minimum of three years.

The coil/magnet system in these type of fans put out such little torque, that the slightest drag on the spline/shaft will cause it not to be capable of reaching acceptable RPM. ...Therefore the TV's computer shuts things down as a safety precaution. Mineral oil is an excellent low viscosity lubricant and is the perfect remedy for the problem.

I tried this as described and it still didn't fix my problem. I do agree with you about the incredibly little torque it puts out for the fan to start up. I watched the fan as I turned on the tv and it would move the fan maybe an 1/8th" and then it stopped and the lamp wouldn't come on.

Here's my observations:

When I pulled my old fan and played with it, it had almost a detent feel to it when it came to a stop and the same resistance when you tried to start spinning it. When slowing down it would continue going and when it got close to stopping on it's own, but not quite there yet, it would settle into almost a groove and then rock back and forth minutely and then stop completely. Same when I spin it. Like I had to push it over a tiny hump and then it would spin freely. The resistance isn't much at all, but just enough to not start spinning and cause the lamp not to turn on. And it isn't in one spot b/c I can continue to rotate it slowly and feel that tiny hump each time I spin it, until I go 360 degrees with it. It's not completely free spinning.

So, I thought that was my problem and why I ordered a new one. Except the new one behaves exactly the same way. Neither spin completely freely and just wind down on their own. They get close and then they fall into this little groove and rock back and forth minutely and then stop. I tried popping off the first fan and broke it. Was able to get the new one off easily and cleaned it, but it was already clean, popped it back on and still the same problem.

I don't want to waste my money buying another new fan, but I don't know what else to do now either. Can anyone confirm if their fan acts the same way or if maybe I just got a bad new fan please?

Any other advice or comments are welcome too.

Thanks.
post #23606 of 23988 Old 10-17-2011, 01:30 PM

I have a KDS60XBR01 with a defective color block. I was offered a 60NX720 for ~ $1250 (less the cost of 1 lamp replacement & one fan). IS this a good deal? I've see a wide assortment of offers, most being worst off in the last month when compared to a few months ago. The 60EX500 was offered for $300 a few months back and now they are ~$800. SonyListens claims they want to be fair to all customers but based on the variation of offers I'm not sure of that commitment.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks.
post #23607 of 23988 Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

I just thought It would benefit someone else to point out that when I attempted to pull the fan out of it's frame the blade snapped completely off its metal hub. I don't know if Sony used a different supplier for fans in earlier or later models or what but my fan appeared to be glued to the hub which was mounted directly to a circuit board with magnets spaced around the inner hub.

Just wanted to give a heads up to those who might have a working fan and are thinking about doing some preventative maintenance. You might do more than than that and end up with a non-working set until your replacement fan comes in.
post #23608 of 23988 Old 10-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveri9720 View Post

I tried this as described and it still didn't fix my problem. I do agree with you about the incredibly little torque it puts out for the fan to start up. I watched the fan as I turned on the tv and it would move the fan maybe an 1/8th" and then it stopped and the lamp wouldn't come on.

Here's my observations:

When I pulled my old fan and played with it, it had almost a detent feel to it when it came to a stop and the same resistance when you tried to start spinning it. When slowing down it would continue going and when it got close to stopping on it's own, but not quite there yet, it would settle into almost a groove and then rock back and forth minutely and then stop completely. Same when I spin it. Like I had to push it over a tiny hump and then it would spin freely. The resistance isn't much at all, but just enough to not start spinning and cause the lamp not to turn on. And it isn't in one spot b/c I can continue to rotate it slowly and feel that tiny hump each time I spin it, until I go 360 degrees with it. It's not completely free spinning.

So, I thought that was my problem and why I ordered a new one. Except the new one behaves exactly the same way. Neither spin completely freely and just wind down on their own. They get close and then they fall into this little groove and rock back and forth minutely and then stop. I tried popping off the first fan and broke it. Was able to get the new one off easily and cleaned it, but it was already clean, popped it back on and still the same problem.

I don't want to waste my money buying another new fan, but I don't know what else to do now either. Can anyone confirm if their fan acts the same way or if maybe I just got a bad new fan please?

Any other advice or comments are welcome too.

Thanks.

I believe this behavior is normal due to the magnetic nature of small fans - An electromagnetic propulsion is used to rotate the fan blades by applying a small current to a coil that repels (or attracts) the opposing section, causing rotation in the desired direction (due to polarity of electric charge). When the fan stops it 'settles' into the next available space between the opposing magnets where at-rest flux is null. I know that probably sounds like horsecrap, but I'm pretty sure (most) of it is correct.
post #23609 of 23988 Old 10-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspliu View Post

I have a KDS60XBR01 with a defective color block. I was offered a 60NX720 for ~ $1250 (less the cost of 1 lamp replacement & one fan). IS this a good deal? I've see a wide assortment of offers, most being worst off in the last month when compared to a few months ago. The 60EX500 was offered for $300 a few months back and now they are ~$800. SonyListens claims they want to be fair to all customers but based on the variation of offers I'm not sure of that commitment.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks.

That is the exact deal I was offered for my KDS60XBR1, and I took it, and I love the new TV. The disparity in offers is mainly due to prorating, and different original tv models. I have yet to hear of anyone (in the USA, with a KDS60XBR1 anyway) be offered the 60NX720 for any price other than $1250 ($1255 I think it actually was). Considering the set retails for between $2600 - $3500, I'd say that $1250 - To your door being less than 1/2 of the cheapest retail price I have seen in the past 3 months IS a great deal - IF you want this TV, that is. Spending $1250 on something you don't want is not a deal just because its 50% off, obviously.

I have friends with a 55" LG (Passive 3D) that paid $1255 from Amazon for it and its a great set too - Point being that, while i really like the set I got, I might never have gotten another Sony otherwise - So yes the offer is good, yes the TV is good, so all you have to decide is will YOU be happy with it when its all said and done? If so, go for it!
post #23610 of 23988 Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

....Re: Crosstalk;

I was reading the review of the 55XBR929 in this months Sound & Vision and the author stated that he reduced/eliminated crosstalk on that set by enabling the Standard MotionFlow to "speed up the display" - I will try this tonight and report back - Has anyone else tried this trick?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page