Forum Jump: 

post #23791 of 23994 Old 03-24-2012, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

The fact that the symptoms have changed this time, from the last time you put it together makes me think you are still missing something.

Are there any cable assemblies that you removed both ends of and set aside somewhere? When you have the modules out have you made a list of all cables that there are to connect, and checked them off as you reassemble? Have you examined all the cables and where they mate and understand how the locks work?

On some of these sets there are two harnesses made of very tiny blue wires with connectors that are very tricky to mate and can be reversed. I can't remember if the XBR1 has these.

You said that this LE was rebuilt by Tristate, what were the TV symptoms that led you to send it to Tristate?

ALLELIUIA!!
The set is working again, and looks fantastic!
After taking it apart yet again, I tried taking the 3 wires out of the OB. One of them seemed to have a bit of cloth electrical tape covering a part of one of the wires. A few loose strands of the cloth tape must have been iterfering with the connection. After cutting off the loose strands, and putting everything back together, it all worked.

I originally sent the OB it to TriState because I had the green tint problem. I'm surprised they sent it to me with the wires like that, though! At least it looks great now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23792 of 23994 Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM

AHHAAHHRHRHAHRRARHH

I can't get mine to work, it is showing the same symptoms DadofTwins had. Put everything together and I get no picture, it turns on, solid green no picture
post #23793 of 23994 Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 AM

I have put the original ob back on and still no picture, sound is there, I also noticed that there is a difference between the original ob and the one I ordered

The original ob has 3 ribbon cables going from the light engine

and the one have ordered has only 2 I will show pictures in a second
post #23794 of 23994 Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM

Ok here is the original ob

Attachment 241944

here is the one I got

Attachment 241945

Could this be the cause?
LL
LL
post #23795 of 23994 Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Also from the original, I probably broke the freaking pin and that might be the cause. Can I just order the cable?

Original ob with broken connector....

Attachment 241946
LL
post #23796 of 23994 Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM

has sony stopped offering replacements for these xbr60's when they die prematurely?
post #23797 of 23994 Old 03-31-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polskidebesciak View Post

Also from the original, I probably broke the freaking pin and that might be the cause. Can I just order the cable?

Original ob with broken connector....

Attachment 241946

Yeah, you're definitely going to need to replace that part. If I am reading the Service manual correctly, it is 1-830-856-11 flexible flat cable. I Googled it, looks like it costs $90.

My problem was different. It had to do with the cable on the OB to the far right. Some of the threads of the cloth-type electical tape were loose, and were preventing a clean connection. On the OB, I removed the four screws that held a top clamp for all the cable connections. Then I removed all three cables, and made sure they were OK (that's when I found the threads). Then I put it all back together, and all was good.

For some reason, my OB doesn't have that piece of foam (or whatever it is) right by the cable connctions. I see it on your pictures, and I've seen it on other OB pictures. You'll have to remove that foam to get at the four screws I referred to.

Good luck!
post #23798 of 23994 Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOz View Post

has sony stopped offering replacements for these xbr60's when they die prematurely?

I don't think so. I just had mine replaced a few months ago. I wasn't acutally free, but it was only $350 or so for a set worth much more than that. You have to send in the serial number sticker on the back, along with a picture of the set with the problem.
post #23799 of 23994 Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfTwins View Post

I don't think so. I just had mine replaced a few months ago. I wasn't acutally free, but it was only $350 or so for a set worth much more than that. You have to send in the serial number sticker on the back, along with a picture of the set with the problem.

I wonder if Sony is still doing this?
Was the set still under warranty?
Did you post on the "Sony...I have a defective TV"... FB page?

My "yellow stain" is still not too visible, unless you have an all light screen shot. And then, mostly along the bottom. If I could get a new OB for 350, I'd jump on that now. Provided Sony would feel sorry for my slight issue.

Chris C
post #23800 of 23994 Old 03-31-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post

I wonder if Sony is still doing this?
Was the set still under warranty?
Did you post on the "Sony...I have a defective TV"... FB page?

My "yellow stain" is still not too visible, unless you have an all light screen shot. And then, mostly along the bottom. If I could get a new OB for 350, I'd jump on that now. Provided Sony would feel sorry for my slight issue.

Sorry if I was unclear -- I didn't get a new OB for $350. Two separate things happened:

1) My R50XBR1 had the green tint issue. The warrany had expired, but Sony has been treating these sets differently due to some class action suit or something. I contacted Sony at SonyListens@am.sony.com on Oct 19, 2011, explaining my green tint problem. (I don't have a Facebook acct, so I didn't post on that page. That will probably work as well). They made me the following offer:

As discussed, we provided you an offer to replace your television.

KDL46EX500 for $125.00 + local sales tax
KDL55EX500 for $300.00 + local sales tax

I chose the 55inch TV for $300 + sales tax. I had to send in the serial number sticker, fill out a form, take a picture of the set, agree to release and hold harmless Sony Electronics Inc., and its affiliates, officers and directors from any and all claims for damages, loss, cost, expense or liability both known and unknown, which you may have incurred... etc. etc.

Got the new set, it looks great. Still had the old set (the R50XBR1) with the green tint problem, so...

2) I sent the OB to TriState Module. They fixed it, returned it to me, and after some problems (see my above posts!), the R50XBR1 is working fine! It cost $299 plus $13.62 shipping for the OB repair.

So I now have two Sonys, both working great.
post #23801 of 23994 Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfTwins View Post

Sorry if I was unclear -- I didn't get a new OB for $350. Two separate things happened:

1) My R50XBR1 had the green tint issue. The warrany had expired, but Sony has been treating these sets differently due to some class action suit or something. I contacted Sony at SonyListens@am.sony.com on Oct 19, 2011, explaining my green tint problem. (I don't have a Facebook acct, so I didn't post on that page. That will probably work as well). They made me the following offer:

As discussed, we provided you an offer to replace your television.

KDL46EX500 for $125.00 + local sales tax
KDL55EX500 for $300.00 + local sales tax

I chose the 55inch TV for $300 + sales tax. I had to send in the serial number sticker, fill out a form, take a picture of the set, agree to release and hold harmless Sony Electronics Inc., and its affiliates, officers and directors from any and all claims for damages, loss, cost, expense or liability both known and unknown, which you may have incurred... etc. etc.

Got the new set, it looks great. Still had the old set (the R50XBR1) with the green tint problem, so...

2) I sent the OB to TriState Module. They fixed it, returned it to me, and after some problems (see my above posts!), the R50XBR1 is working fine! It cost $299 plus $13.62 shipping for the OB repair.

So I now have two Sonys, both working great.

Thanks for taking the time to set me straight.

I guess I was just dreaming to think Sony was finally going to make this right. I've thought about doing the FB thing, before Sony announced they would stop doing that deal. I never read a post about people getting anything larger than a 55' set, so I held off. My old eyes make it tough on my present 60" SXRD. To step down in size, just wouldn't work.

Perhaps I read the Tri-State page wrong. But I seemed to gather that you had to ship the old OB to have it rebuilt. Rather than send the 'core' back after the new was installed....Hate to do without a set for that long. I suppose when it gets so bad I can't stand watching....I will.

Again Thanks for Your Time,

Chris C
post #23802 of 23994 Old 04-03-2012, 02:34 PM

ok, the cable was the problem, I ordered one, put everything back and voila. works, good picture.... but

I have a slight tilt on the screen. It tilts downward on the left side about half an inch, I tried all the options in the service menu and nothing seems to be working.

I do not know what to do
post #23803 of 23994 Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polskidebesciak View Post

ok, the cable was the problem, I ordered one, put everything back and voila. works, good picture.... but I have a slight tilt on the screen. It tilts downward on the left side about half an inch, I tried all the options in the service menu and nothing seems to be working.

I do not know what to do

I wonder if the OB is not "squared up" correctly. If the OB was crooked, then that might cause your tilting. When you put the OB in, did it seem flush against the front? Are all four of the screws that hold on the OB (from behind the front panel) tight?
post #23804 of 23994 Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM

yes everything is tight!!!!
post #23805 of 23994 Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 PM

I've got a KDSR-60XBR1. Bought in October of 2005. Just replaced my fourth lamp. When I re-installed the lamp door, I got the 3 flashing red LED's. I removed the door and found the microswitch actuator had broken off. If I manually actuated the switch, the lamp came on and I had picture. So, I know it's the board.

Does anybody know if I can buy only the board with the microswitch for the lamp door interlock?

Thanks!

Edit: Spelling

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
post #23806 of 23994 Old 04-05-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveri9720 View Post

I have an interesting problem that seems simple enough, but I can't resolve. Tv was working fine for years and years. Had the OB changed out under warranty a couple years ago, no issues. Recently, when I turn on the tv, the green light would continue to flash for a minute or two constantly and then come on solid, but there wouldn't be any picture. Turned off and on a couple times and eventually the picture would come on.

Researched here and thought my lamp might be going bad. Ordered a brand new one, slapped it in, same problem. Next step was taking it apart to clean the fans. Fans were fairly clean for the most part. Tore a ribbon cable 1/2 way thru while disassembling it. Ordered a new one and replaced it, put everything back together and still same problem.

Happened to find that if I spun the 120mm fan before turning it on, the tv would turn on as normal. Easy enough, ordered a new fan and still have the same problem. Now, to turn my tv on, I have removed the back panel and I pull the 120mm fan out and spin it and then turn on the tv and it comes on like normal.

I would really not like to have to continue doing this everytime I want to turn the tv on. Anyone have any advice or info for me?

Thanks.

Odd to quote myself, but I'm still having this problem and now the tv is inoperable. I've replaced the 120mm fan 3 times, thinking maybe I got a defective or 3rd party one that wasn't up to specs. The situation quickly deteriorated from having to spin the fan manually and having the tv coming on to having to do this procedure 3-5 times before the tv would come on and now it won't come on no matter how many times I do this.

Now I'm at the crossroads of whether I want a tech to come out and take a look and spend the money for that or just trash the tv and buy a new one. I love my tv and I have the stand too, so I'd hate to trash everything, but I don't want to spend a good deal of money to repair this tv when I could buy a nicer one for a little more.

I wish I could have taken Sony up on their replacement deal, but I was moving down to Florida when I found out about it and then it expired. Is there any alternative for us from Sony, or are we just SOL?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this and whether it's going to be a costly repair or not? I read somewhere that someone said the power supply might be bad and need to be replaced, as it's the power source for the fans and everything else and that makes sense, but I've thrown parts at this tv already and would rather have some hard evidence before wasting more money on parts that aren't going to fix it.

Thanks for any advice or info, I greatly appreciate it.
post #23807 of 23994 Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Hey Guys, my 50" just went out. I let my son start using it in his room as I bought a new 3d samsung led and he told me it went out.

I figured, "no problem, it's the bulb" without even looking at it. Bulb came in, took the old casing off, put the new bulb in the casing, and plugged it up, doing the same thing.

I get the same light code as in this video where he claims is a bad bulb and for him, it was:

http://youtu.be/tYKIMvr4FgA

It's one red blink, a slight pause, then 3 more blinks. Is that a 3 blink code meaning a door/switch issue? Or a 4 blink meaning a fan issue? What light code is supposed to be there for simply a bulb? Could I possibly have a "new" bad bulb or the casing is bad somehow?
post #23808 of 23994 Old 04-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

It's hard to tell from your description, how many blinks you are having. But if I remember correctly 3 blinks means bad fan. That's the big fan in the back of the TV. If you do a search for the service manual for this TV, you'll see all of the codes in there. There may even be a link to one in one of the threads here on AVS, although I don't have a link handy.

Rudy

There - in or at that place <Stand over there>
Their - of or relating to them <Their furniture>
They're - they are <They are so polite>
:)
post #23809 of 23994 Old 04-15-2012, 06:22 AM

This is from the service manual. Don't know if it helps you or not:

snapshot.pdf 100.1669921875k . file
post #23810 of 23994 Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM

What I don't get then is why is the guy and tv in the youtube video having the same blinking error that I'm getting, and it's NOT the lamp light. But yet he switches out the bulb and that fixes it.

If you watch the video, that's exactly what mine is doing. I would say it's blinking 3 times after that 1st blink then delay, which means the bulb is not secured properly or the door is ajar. Well I've taken the back off and shortened out the door switch and it still does the same thing.

I'm thinking maybe the casing is bad then (due to the fact that maybe the bulb isn't secured)? I hate to spend another $60-100 on a bulb/casing combo though and that not fix it. I've taken the bulb out and pushed it back in multiple times and it seems to be as secure as possible.

Just for the sake of argument, I take the entire bulb out of the TV, put the door back on, power it on, and the error code stays the same.

I'm thinking maybe the guy in the video didn't really have a bad bulb, but something went bad with the casing/housing of the bulb and when he replaced it, he bought the casing/bulb combo instead of just the lamp bulb like I did. I guess I'll order a cheap $40 combo off of amazon and if it works, maybe change out the bulb with the oem $100 lamp I ordered last week.
post #23811 of 23994 Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Hi everyone, new here. Wanted to share my story. I'm sure its familiar.

The other night I turned my 50 xbr1 on and the screen just remained black, but the green power light was fully lit. I started to smell the most awful burning plastic stink I have ever smelled. I wasn't even sure it was the tv at first and went into the other rooms of my house and outside trying to locate the smell. When I came back into the living room the smell was overpowering and made me feel sick. I unplugged everything. After about an hour I decided to take the lamp out. It would not come out, it was stuck in there. When I opened the door it was incredibly obvious the smell was coming from inside the tv. The lamp was so stuck that the plastic index finger loop broke around my finger while I was trying to pull it out.

I called Sony and they said they were sending a tech for a free eval. I was surprised as my warranty ran out a couple years. I did have my optic block replaced for green blob a year after I bought the tv fwiw. I was not aware that these tvs continued to have regular issues with the fans and whatnot. I have learned that since, reading the forums.

The tech came yesterday. He tried to take the lamp out and couldn't. That was basically the end of my eval. He told me to call Sony and tell them what he said (which wasn't much). He did plug it in though and got 3 blinking red lights on a repeat pattern. I hadn't seen that prior but I was also too afraid to plug it back in. I called Sony and they have said that I have to wait for the tech to file his report, then Sony will be reviewing it and I will be contacted in 7 days with "what they can do for me"

Does anyone have any ideas on what actually happened to the tv and what will happen next? TBH, I don't really want another Sony.
post #23812 of 23994 Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Cole.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, I don't know what Sony is going to do for you at this point, I also have not heard of a problem like this before on this TV. Which doesn't mean a whole lot really. But whatever Sony comes back with you can always just post it here before responding, and maybe get some more specific help. Plus I would really like to hear how this turns out as I have a dead Sony sitting in my Living Room as well.

I wish you success.
Rudy

There - in or at that place <Stand over there>
Their - of or relating to them <Their furniture>
They're - they are <They are so polite>
:)
post #23813 of 23994 Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszypko View Post

I've got a KDSR-60XBR1. Bought in October of 2005. Just replaced my fourth lamp. When I re-installed the lamp door, I got the 3 flashing red LED's. I removed the door and found the microswitch actuator had broken off. If I manually actuated the switch, the lamp came on and I had picture. So, I know it's the board.

Does anybody know if I can buy only the board with the microswitch for the lamp door interlock?

Thanks!

Edit: Spelling

Anyone?

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
post #23814 of 23994 Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks!

Anyone?

I'm sure you can. The manual describes it as:

A-1123-096-A T1 BOARD, COMPLETE

It should be very cheap. Try partstore.com. Someone should have it on ebay as well. Personally I wouldn't bother, I'd leave it taped up somehow and reinstall it. As long as you are the last owner of the tv it shouldn't matter.
post #23815 of 23994 Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyG View Post

Hi Cole.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, I don't know what Sony is going to do for you at this point, I also have not heard of a problem like this before on this TV. Which doesn't mean a whole lot really. But whatever Sony comes back with you can always just post it here before responding, and maybe get some more specific help. Plus I would really like to hear how this turns out as I have a dead Sony sitting in my Living Room as well.

I wish you success.
Rudy

Hi Rudy,
Thank you for the reply. I will post as soon as I hear from Sony. I'm hoping that will happen by Monday.
post #23816 of 23994 Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Liked: 12
I have a Sony KDS 50 XBR1 and I bought it from circuit city back in December 2005. The TV Has been going strong and I have only replaced the bulb once since I have owned it. I had the OB problem and that was fixed for free by sony.

Now to my question:

Has anyone had an issue where the TV turns itself on? When it does this you only get to see the input screen where it says input 7 or whatever and you can change the input but the display is real shaky and will not allow a picture signal (i.e. cable tv or ps3 or whatever) to come through. It also looks like the displayed is mirrored since it shows the input you are on the top right and bottom right of the tv which is not normal when it is working properly. You can turn the tv off but if you turn it back on you still have the same display problem until you unplug it from the wall.

Also sometimes I cannot turn the TV on. I will hit power and nothing will happen. No power no lights -- nothing. If I unplug it from the wall and plug it back it the TV fires right up and I notice no issues. Nothing has happened (knock on wood) where it won't come on after I unplug it and there have been no issues with the TV shutting off once it is on.

Anyone else experience this? I took a video of the display issue and I can post it later if that helps. Also, this happens at random intervals. May be three times in one week or once every two months. There seems to be no method to the madness.

Also I am new to this board so is the best place for this to be posted?
post #23817 of 23994 Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 AM

can anyone point me in the right direction?
post #23818 of 23994 Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedahammer View Post

I have a Sony KDS 50 XBR1 and I bought it from circuit city back in December 2005. The TV Has been going strong and I have only replaced the bulb once since I have owned it. I had the OB problem and that was fixed for free by sony.

Now to my question:

Has anyone had an issue where the TV turns itself on? When it does this you only get to see the input screen where it says input 7 or whatever and you can change the input but the display is real shaky and will not allow a picture signal (i.e. cable tv or ps3 or whatever) to come through. It also looks like the displayed is mirrored since it shows the input you are on the top right and bottom right of the tv which is not normal when it is working properly. You can turn the tv off but if you turn it back on you still have the same display problem until you unplug it from the wall.

Also sometimes I cannot turn the TV on. I will hit power and nothing will happen. No power no lights -- nothing. If I unplug it from the wall and plug it back it the TV fires right up and I notice no issues. Nothing has happened (knock on wood) where it won't come on after I unplug it and there have been no issues with the TV shutting off once it is on.

Anyone else experience this? I took a video of the display issue and I can post it later if that helps. Also, this happens at random intervals. May be three times in one week or once every two months. There seems to be no method to the madness.

Also I am new to this board so is the best place for this to be posted?

You are in just the right place for this question, but it's a very odd set of symptoms that I have not heard of on any Sony TV. I would have suggested that the software got itself to some strange place and that you should unplug it for twenty minutes or so. Leave out any UPS or power bar that you may be running through. Unplug any HDMI devices. Plug in AC and see what happens. It appears though that you may have already tried that.
post #23819 of 23994 Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was a very odd set of issues as well. I will try and post a video on youtube so people can see what I am describing. I love the TV but if I have to call a repair man I might as well buy a new one.
post #23820 of 23994 Old 07-06-2012, 06:30 PM

Back story:

OB has been replaced 2x in my KDSR-60XBR1. Lamp also replaced 2x.
Since the second OB, everything has been running much longer than with the original and the first replacement without the reappearance of any green blobs.
That being said, I did set the TV to "High Altitude" which makes the fan run at a higher speed.
Maybe this has something to do with it? i.e., keeping things cooler.

Anyway, I'm watching TV last night, and I notice the picture abruptly drops in brightness, as if I turned the Iris control down a couple notches.
I turned off the set, then back on, still dim. I then unplugged the set for a minute, turned it back on and brightness was back to normal for a couple hours, then noticeably dropped again. Tonight, the drop now happens within a few minutes after cycling power. It's still watchable, just disconcerting.

First question: Is this a sign that my lamp needs to be replaced?
The last couple of times I replaced the bulb, if I remember correctly, I just noticed the picture started to gradually get dim over time, nothing like the quick drop I am seeing now.

Second question:
How do I check the current lamp hours? I followed this procedure found online for this model:

DISPLAY
VOL +
POWER

To read the Lamp and Panel time:

Press the "JUMP" key [3 times] to enter the DE-micro service menu
Press the "2" key [9 times] to show the Panel and Lamp hours.

I also read to reset lamp hours do this:

Press "3", "MUTE", and "ENTER" keys in sequence.

Out of curiosity (or stupidity) I hit 3, then MUTE, but must have done something wrong, because my entire screen turned red.
Hitting Mute changed numbers on the screen but it continued to stay red.

In a panic, I hit power. The TV turned off after a few seconds. When I turned it back on, it was still red...
In another moment of panic (and a few expletives), I unplugged the set for a minute. When I turned it back on, things were back to normal.
Needless to say I am not trying this again until I can confirm the correct steps.

Third question: Did I mess anything up by doing this? Everything appears OK now, but I am worried that I inadvertently wrote data somewhere in the service menu that may cause a problem.
I am hoping that whatever I may have done was cancelled when I cycled power.
It's certainly no joke when people say "don't mess with the service menu"...

Fourth and final question in reference to the back story: After I noticed the initial drop in brightness, I went into the video menu to check the Iris and Brightness settings.
I noticed in the Advanced menu that the Green Bias and Green Gain were still turned almost all the way down from when I started experiencing the green blob problems last time.
Could this in fact have an effect on OB life? In other words, could this be why the second OB replacement has lasted much longer than the original and the first replacement?
I didn't notice much of a difference when I put them back to their defaults, so I am wondering if I should just leave them where they were.

Any help, advice, tips, etc. would be most appreciated.

Thank you for reading!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100
Gear in this thread - Xl5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page