Forum Jump: 

post #23971 of 23994 Old 03-31-2014, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuc View Post

Hi guys, I owned a Sony KDS-R60XBR1 2005. Few weeks ago, I went to the service menu and trying to reset the color pattern to normal (the blue kinda bit far off). Somehow, whenever I try to turn the TV on, and it always show the pattern generator criss cross each other. Moreover, I know how to reset the default settings like the channel and stuff, but I need the factory reset to remove the pattern that it's always show up in the background. Plus, every others works fine like, volume, lamp, color, etc. However, all I need to know is how to remove the pattern when I turn my TV on (This pattern usually comes up when in Service Menu, but I think I messed it up somehow)? Is there any suggested? What should I do? Please help me with this, I'm really appreciate you guys reading this.
-Phuc

Check out this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhrn92nyIMQ

I'm pretty sure he tells you how to get it back to not powering up with the pattern generator towards the end.
Good Luck

-Prof Gizmo

BTW, how do you pronounce your name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23972 of 23994 Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello Everyone.

I have a R60XB1 that I bought in 2005. I have been a member of this forum ever since and have posted on occasion. I had the optical block replaced in 2007. Ever since the TV has been working great. The only thing I had to do with it was replace the lamp a few years ago.

Anyway, the TV was working fine today, I turned it off and left the house for a while. When I came back and turned the TV on the POWER/STANDBY LED blinks RED 4 times pauses and the 4 blink cycle starts again. I don't get any picture. From what I read in the R60XBR1 service manual (page 13) Self Diagnosis Function, 4 blinks means the fan. I can feel some air coming out of the fan and then a short period I can hear the TV shut off. I suppose the fan might be clogged but I am not sure. The TV has been in my living room since Fall 2005 and has only been opened when the Optical Block had to be replaced. I have unplugged the TV for a while and checked the lamp and it seems to be fine. Any ideas on what the issue might be? I guess I am going to have to open the back of it and check to see if the fan is clogged or something. Any tips would be appreciated.

George C.

OB replaced on 9-27-2007
post #23973 of 23994 Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post

Hello Everyone.

I have a R60XB1 that I bought in 2005. I have been a member of this forum ever since and have posted on occasion. I had the optical block replaced in 2007. Ever since the TV has been working great. The only thing I had to do with it was replace the lamp a few years ago.

Anyway, the TV was working fine today, I turned it off and left the house for a while. When I came back and turned the TV on the POWER/STANDBY LED blinks RED 4 times pauses and the 4 blink cycle starts again. I don't get any picture. From what I read in the R60XBR1 service manual (page 13) Self Diagnosis Function, 4 blinks means the fan. I can feel some air coming out of the fan and then a short period I can hear the TV shut off. I suppose the fan might be clogged but I am not sure. The TV has been in my living room since Fall 2005 and has only been opened when the Optical Block had to be replaced. I have unplugged the TV for a while and checked the lamp and it seems to be fine. Any ideas on what the issue might be? I guess I am going to have to open the back of it and check to see if the fan is clogged or something. Any tips would be appreciated.

There are several fans in there, at least three, maybe four. Could be any one of them. Search the internet for a free Service Manual.
post #23974 of 23994 Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

There are several fans in there, at least three, maybe four. Could be any one of them. Search the internet for a free Service Manual.

I have the service manual. I think I was one of the early distributors of it when it got out. I haven't had to use it until now. :-)

In any case, I have the back of the TV open. When I turn on the TV the smaller fan to the right of the HDMI connectors spins but the larger one on the left under the coax connections does not. I assume that means the larger fan needs replaced? It seems the larger fan has failed for a number of people based on the comments about this fan on Amazon that people have ordered...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DHPEBY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess I will order me one of these and see if that does the trick.

George C.

OB replaced on 9-27-2007
post #23975 of 23994 Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post

I have the service manual. I think I was one of the early distributors of it when it got out. I haven't had to use it until now. :-)

In any case, I have the back of the TV open. When I turn on the TV the smaller fan to the right of the HDMI connectors spins but the larger one on the left under the coax connections does not. I assume that means the larger fan needs replaced? It seems the larger fan has failed for a number of people based on the comments about this fan on Amazon that people have ordered...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DHPEBY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess I will order me one of these and see if that does the trick.

Yes, the "standby" indicator flashing red 4 times, then repeating, indicates that the lamp cooling fan (Sony # 8-835-860-11) isn't spinning.
It's a pretty straightforward replacement and the fans are readily available. Replaced mine several years ago and it's still working.

Cheers,

Prof Gizmo
post #23976 of 23994 Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGizmo View Post

Yes, the "standby" indicator flashing red 4 times, then repeating, indicates that the lamp cooling fan (Sony # 8-835-860-11) isn't spinning.
It's a pretty straightforward replacement and the fans are readily available. Replaced mine several years ago and it's still working.

Cheers,

Prof Gizmo

Thanks. I have the fan on order. I bought it from a dealer on Amazon. It was $11.00 + $6.95 shipping. Unfortunately that is standard shipping and it doesn't look like I will get it until next week. They wanted $32 for 2 day shipping which of course is outrageous (it didn't qualify for Amazon Prime).

Does anyone have a good source with a reasonable price and fast shipping for these fans?

George C.

OB replaced on 9-27-2007
post #23977 of 23994 Old 04-04-2014, 06:57 AM

I decided to fix the fan issue myself as the replacement fan is going to take a week to get here. I already had a couple of 120mm fans for desktop PC's. The only difference appears to be the connector. I cut the wires from the old fan and spliced the wires to the new fan. I installed it and it works fine. If I have any issues then I have a replacement fan on the way.

I am probably going to be keeping this TV for a while. What other parts besides the 120mm fan and the Lamp should I have handy in case something else breaks?

UPDATE: Well the PC Fan didn't work. The TV runs for about 2 minutes or so then I assume it gets too hot and the screen goes black. The Standby LED then blinks RED 4 times. Perhaps that fan isn't moving enough air? Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait for the real replacement fan. mad.gif

I think the original fan was around 75 CFM (cubic feet per minute) and was 0.24A. The Lian-Li 120mm PC case fan I used was only 0.08A which probably means the CFM rating was around half that. I know they make PC fans with different CFM, so if I used one with around 75CFM then it probably would have worked.. If the fan doesn't move enough air then after a while the TV senses too much heat and shuts off.

George C.

OB replaced on 9-27-2007
post #23978 of 23994 Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0dka360 View Post

k computer 120mm dosnt werk not powerfull enough ^^;

Now this is a post that I wish I had seen before I tried using a PC fan. :-) I took someones advice and spliced the connector from my old 120mm fan that came with the TV to a 120mm PC fan. It runs for a few minutes and then the screen goes black and the standby LED goes RED and blinks 4 times which indicates a fan issue. The good news is that an official replacement fan should be here tomorrow from a company on Amazon.com called " Parts Collection" . They are in "City of Industry, CA"

UPDATE: The fan arrived today and I installed it. It has been running fine for a number of hours.

What other parts besides the lamp and the 120mm fan should I purchase in the event something else breaks on the TV? I plan on keeping the TV for quite a while as I can't afford a new set right now.

George C.

OB replaced on 9-27-2007
post #23979 of 23994 Old 04-19-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post

I've been on the fence for the past 4-6 months about whether or not to make the jump to a 65" Panasonic VT60 plasma, especially given the upcoming end to their production. There is very high praise for the VT60, reminds me of when the XBR1 was released. I've been close to ordering one several times in the past, then I sit down to watch my April 2006 60" XBR1 and I'm reminded of how good the picture quality still is. I've been fortunate with my unit (so far) in that I haven't experienced the optical block issues others have suffered.

Given the age of my set, is it worth investing in a cleaning of the internal optics and a calibration to get the most out of it at this point?

Buy the panasonic. I bought the 65Vt50 last year and it blows the SXRD away. No one in my family even watches the old XBR SXRD in the other room. Eveyrone has found the Panasonic plasma to be a definite improvement.
post #23980 of 23994 Old 04-19-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For owners of this TV who have never made any claim, is the class action lawsuit still available to make claims on? Or are we out of luck? Any kind of settlement claims left on this TV for whatever reason?
post #23981 of 23994 Old 04-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My 60XBR1 has been doing fine - still a great picture, after an optical block and fan replacement. I was hoping it would hold out until OLED becomes more available at a decent size and price.

But yesterday something strange happened. No picture from the HDMI inputs. The audio is coming through, and the TV recognizes the picture standard (e.g, 720p or 1080i), but there is no video. Analog and RF inputs work fine.

Has anyone else come across this?
Any suggestions?
post #23982 of 23994 Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My 50" XBR1 has served me very well for almost 10 years. I finally upgraded to a new TV that I truly believe that is the first display that is substantially better then the XB1. The Sony 65" 4K TV (model XBR65X900A). The XBR1 is going up to the cottage.

In nearly 10 years, I had the optical block replaced twice, both covered by Sony. Changed the bulb twice.
post #23983 of 23994 Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3193 View Post

My 60XBR1 has been doing fine - still a great picture, after an optical block and fan replacement. I was hoping it would hold out until OLED becomes more available at a decent size and price.

But yesterday something strange happened. No picture from the HDMI inputs. The audio is coming through, and the TV recognizes the picture standard (e.g, 720p or 1080i), but there is no video. Analog and RF inputs work fine.

Has anyone else come across this?
Any suggestions?

I solved my own problem - with a little help from google search. A "power reset" did the trick: 1. Turn off the tv. 2. Wait 5 mins for the lamp to cool down. 3. Disconnect the power cord. 4. Wait 60 secs or more, then reconnect the power.
Worked like a charm. The HDMI is working as before.

Now I can wait until OLED becomes viable.
post #23984 of 23994 Old 05-09-2014, 11:53 AM

Hey guys,

My 50" XBR1 had the optical block replaced years ago. It's been flawless since. I replaced the bulb once and it's been great. HOWEVER, just noticed 2 yellowish horizontal strips near the bottom of the screen, each about 2" thick with a 2" gap between them. I'm assuming this is an optical block problem now? I can't believe this thing has lasted this long, but the picture quality is so good I don't want to toss it out if I can fix it.
post #23985 of 23994 Old 05-18-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Going on 9 years now, but just got the 4 blinking lights which means it's the fan again. Had it happen once back in 3/20/12 and all I did was the PB blaster on it, which lasted until now. Don't feel like it taking it apart right now but may order another fan. We'll see.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #23986 of 23994 Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 PM

Moved my 50XBR1 to my office waiting room in June 2010. This was a couple of years after having the optical block replaced under warranty. It's been running like a champ, 40+ hours a week for these four years, having replaced the lamp for a 3rd time a couple of months ago. My patients love the picture.
post #23987 of 23994 Old 05-21-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Fixed. I love this TV.
audiomixer likes this.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #23988 of 23994 Old 07-03-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up Damn Right!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post
Fixed. I love this TV.
Damn right!!! I still can't believe the PQ on this television compared to all these "newfangled" models out there.

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #23989 of 23994 Old 08-31-2014, 06:21 AM

Liked: 0
Same problem for me...4 red blinks...it seems it is the light cooling fan...anyone know how to remove the housing? I removed two screws but can't seem to get the housing off...
post #23990 of 23994 Old 08-31-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryis View Post
Same problem for me...4 red blinks...it seems it is the light cooling fan...anyone know how to remove the housing? I removed two screws but can't seem to get the housing off...
There are 9 screws you need to remove to get the rear cover off to get at the fan. Here is a link to the Service Manual...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16940552/S...ual-Kdsr60xbr1

Go to page 16 and it will show you the location of those screws.

Then you will want to go to section 2-6. DC MOTOR SFF21C/C-NP

which is at the top of page 19 and will show the 2 screws you need to remove the fan guard so that you can remove the fan.

I bought a replacement fan from these guys back in April (you can see my post above where I had the issue) ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I originally made the mistake of using a PC case fan instead of an OEM fan and the PC fan didn't move enough air to cool the TV off and it would eventually shut down because of heat. So I bought the fan from the link above and it has been running fine since April 2014. Just remember when you install the fan that the air is blowing OUT of the chassis and NOT IN.

George C.

OB replaced on 9-27-2007

Last edited by George Cifranci; 08-31-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #23991 of 23994 Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 AM

After optical block and fan replacements - and a number of new projector bulbs, my 60xbr1 still gives a great picture. Except that it is noticeably dimmer than when I bought it, even with all controls (such as iris) set to maximize the light. Does anyone know what might be causing this? A dirty reflective surface, for example? Any suggestions for a fix?
post #23992 of 23994 Old 09-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3193 View Post
After optical block and fan replacements - and a number of new projector bulbs, my 60xbr1 still gives a great picture. Except that it is noticeably dimmer than when I bought it, even with all controls (such as iris) set to maximize the light. Does anyone know what might be causing this? A dirty reflective surface, for example? Any suggestions for a fix?
I've read that the blue LCD panel is degraded by ultra-violet light....if so; Like me, Do you have cataracts? Been wondering if this is the cause of mine, as it is also tied to their cause. Perhaps another 'class action suit' will be in the offing. I spend a bunch of time in front of mine, and have also notice it being much dimmer than I once remember.

Chris C
post #23993 of 23994 Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 PM

My R60XBR1 just recently got quite a bit dimmer. That usually has meant that the bulb is about to go. I noticed it getting dim this past June and decided to wait for it to fail. Today when I turned on the set it seemed even dimmer. Instead of waiting for the lamp to fail I put in another lamp I had and it was back to the original brightness I remember.

George C.

OB replaced on 9-27-2007
post #23994 of 23994 Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post
My R60XBR1 just recently got quite a bit dimmer. That usually has meant that the bulb is about to go. I noticed it getting dim this past June and decided to wait for it to fail. Today when I turned on the set it seemed even dimmer. Instead of waiting for the lamp to fail I put in another lamp I had and it was back to the original brightness I remember.
Unfortunately a new bulb did not do the trick for me, which is why I asked the question.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100
Gear in this thread - Xl5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page