Liked: 15
Mine died.... Bad G board.

Sony says its NLA.
post #24003 of 24012 Old 12-14-2014, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We have had the red light issue for about six months. I didn't realize how often it came up until tonight when my wife said the tv stopped working. She said that the red light kept coming on but she just kept trying to turn the tv on like she always does and it came on. After 20 minutes of use, it made a popping sound and stopped working. I'm thinking my plan to replace the fans has matured to something bigger. So much for being lazy and telling myself I would replace the fans "next weekend" for months.

Was hoping OLED would arrive before we needed to replace our beloved SXRD.

Steven Benson
Minnesota Home Theater User Group (MNHTUG)
Yahoogroups | Facebook
post #24004 of 24012 Old 12-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensons View Post
We have had the red light issue for about six months. I didn't realize how often it came up until tonight when my wife said the tv stopped working. She said that the red light kept coming on but she just kept trying to turn the tv on like she always does and it came on. After 20 minutes of use, it made a popping sound and stopped working. I'm thinking my plan to replace the fans has matured to something bigger. So much for being lazy and telling myself I would replace the fans "next weekend" for months.

Was hoping OLED would arrive before we needed to replace our beloved SXRD.
Twice when my lamp blew (replaced 4 or 5 since owning) it made a rather loud pop and after removing the lamp carrier, the bulb had visible signs of small 'ka-boom' inside the glass envelope, with bits of glass in the bottom ....rattling around. You might check to see if your lamp is blown. Of course, if you are having fan issues also, I suppose that could cause an overheat issue in the bulb area, since one of the many air cooling fans is in that area. .....BUT....I'm no tech wiz here, so, YMMV

Chris C
post #24005 of 24012 Old 12-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Thanks ccrider2, it was the bulb that made the load noise. Just like you said, there were bits of glass inside the glass bulb housing, trapped inside. I also replaced one of the fans. My issue now is the image quality is now crap. Anywhere you would see a fade from white to black, it is not smooth. The gradient is not smooth as if the color changed to 256 from the original millions that it was prior to the problem. I went into the setting looking for setting that may address the issue but I cannot find anything that remedies the problem. Came back here hoping to find setting within "Pro" for advanced features. Tried turning everything off "DTE" etc and no joy. Ugggh. Was hoping $100 in parts would bring the set back.

Steven Benson
Yahoogroups | Facebook
post #24006 of 24012 Old 12-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks ccrider2, it was the bulb that made the load noise. Just like you said, there were bits of glass inside the glass bulb housing, trapped inside. I also replaced one of the fans. My issue now is the image quality is now crap. Anywhere you would see a fade from white to black, it is not smooth. The gradient is not smooth as if the color changed to 256 from the original millions that it was prior to the problem. I went into the setting looking for setting that may address the issue but I cannot find anything that remedies the problem. Came back here hoping to find setting within "Pro" for advanced features. Tried turning everything off "DTE" etc and no joy. Ugggh. Was hoping $100 in parts would bring the set back.
I've had my large fan out, while waiting on a new one to arrive, and lucky me, got it to free-up....working ever since.
I can't recall, and you've probably rehearsed this in your mind, what and if anything was disconnected while replacing the fan.
Just logical, if it wasn't doing this till....then perhaps something got bamboozled in the previous process. So if you haven't double-checked yet; might be worth the effort.
Other than that, I'm hoping a more experienced owner will chime-in here to offer advice on the new issue. There's some pretty smart 'cookies' here; although many have probably moved on to different hardware, thus no longer check-in.

I still love my paid-for SXRD, even though the picture is a bit .... ho-hum.

Best of Luck,

Chris C
post #24007 of 24012 Old 12-22-2014, 12:43 PM

I love the picture quality of our SXRD. Rehashing the process, the TV worked great initially after going together. I watched 20 minutes of Avatar to confirm things were good. My wife also watched an episode of Arrow in HD. My kids watched some cartoons. When we turned on the TV later in the day, it had the issue described above and I am unable to get rid of it with settings. I'm going to pull everything back down and blow out contacts as I reassemble, but I'm setting my expectations low.

If the SXRD does not come back, I'm leaning towards a 65" Samsung 7150.

Steven Benson
Yahoogroups | Facebook
post #24008 of 24012 Old 12-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I love the picture quality of our SXRD. Rehashing the process, the TV worked great initially after going together. I watched 20 minutes of Avatar to confirm things were good. My wife also watched an episode of Arrow in HD. My kids watched some cartoons. When we turned on the TV later in the day, it had the issue described above and I am unable to get rid of it with settings. I'm going to pull everything back down and blow out contacts as I reassemble, but I'm setting my expectations low.

Also looking at the 75" model this morning, some bad reviews on the Samsung site about the software being messed up, only a few (mostly having to do with the smart apps) but that has me worried. Haven't checked out AVSForum yet....more of a wait and make do for me right now. http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...0AFXZA-reviews

Chris C
post #24009 of 24012 Old 12-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Try turning off then pulling the plug (as a hard reset) before the screwdriver comes out....Sony tech seems to likes that one.

Chris C
post #24010 of 24012 Old 12-22-2014, 06:04 PM

Found the issue. There is a high density ribbon cable coming out of the optical block and going into a circuit board next to the large rear fan. I pulled the ribbon cable, blew air into the slot, whipped down the ribbon cable and reinserted it. Works like a charm now. Woot!

Looks like a tore off one of the tabs when removing the ribbon cable. Not sure how to keep that secure, or how to get the small metal plate (that goes around the female connector on the board) to snap back together around the connector. I am my own worst enemy.
ccrider2 likes this.

Steven Benson
Yahoogroups | Facebook
post #24011 of 24012 Old 12-22-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I needed any speak program before nowadays along with e-support from Sony that they needless to say was without adequate knowledge because of this issue and they gave me a link to that same page you posted.
post #24012 of 24012 Old Today, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all

I just bought a house that came with this tv 2005 Sony KDSR-60XBR1

The previous owner of the house said it has nice picture and all and all we have to do is replace the bulb which cost 75 dollars

Now whenever I turn it on, the red light comes on.

I checked the lower back of the tv and found the lamp which is supposedly blown and put it back in and tv still not turning on only red light

So do you think it does worth to spend $75 for a real lamp or 30$ for chinese to get this guy running?

Or buy a new one?

Antone bought the made in china lamps? are they bad? how long do they go?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100
Gear in this thread - Xl5100 by PriceGrabber.com