Official 2005 Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 802 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #24031 of 24035 Old 06-20-2017, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbAVS View Post
Wow, and I thought I was about the only one still watching a slightly dim 10 year old XBR60 while everyone else has upgraded to one of those super bright flat ones! Tempted, but it would probably cascade another flurry of updates; AV receiver, newer BR player, etc.. Sort of waiting for the original dim bulb to blow so I have an excuse to not spend money on old technology.

Meantime, the following has happened; Full 1080P, 3D, 120/240mhz, 4k, etc.. and probably more I've not kept up with.
LOL its 2017 and I hear ya. After many wretched hand-wringing nights hoping-against-hope that we didn't get the green blob, the SXRD has been great for years. But, finally the bulb was progressively dimming--almost hard to know how much since it was so gradual. I had purchased a spare bulb back when I bought the set to have on hand and was thinking "eh, we should upgrade in the next couple of years so might as well put that new bulb in". Much brighter, yay! But 4 months later (could be coincidence?) we now have the yellow/green tint (not blob, seems very uniform across the screen).

Wish it could have lasted a bit longer, but as you say, so much has changed in the last decade (super razor thin, teeny bezels (thankfully no ears) and even more pixels).

Looking to get a 70 inch+ and OLED in that size is nonsense $$ for our budget right now. Seems like the Sony LCDs are tops for upscaling and will prolly go with that (still researching, thank you AVS forum posters for insights). Hope it lasts another 10+ years for mostly cable/ota tv (waiting for more 4k content), some movies, light gaming, light-ish room, 10' ft viewing. Bummer about off center picture but that isn't needed all that often.

Cheers to all the past and current SXRD rear projection adopters out there.
ccrider2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24032 of 24035 Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yeah, and that post was from 2015! So, I did get the 900E a week ago in 75" and its very nice. For 10' viewing, you may be able to save some $$ and get by with the 65" 900E for about $2K and have a really nice display and been favorably reviewed. Good luck!

If anyone needs a working SXRD in SoCal for spare parts, it's about to go on craigslist for local pickup.

2017 Sony XBR75X900E | Onkyo TX-NR801 5.1 | Polk Audio front | Retired: 2006 Sony KDSR-60XBR1
post #24033 of 24035 Old 06-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbAVS View Post
Yeah, and that post was from 2015! So, I did get the 900E a week ago in 75" and its very nice. For 10' viewing, you may be able to save some $$ and get by with the 65" 900E for about $2K and have a really nice display and been favorably reviewed. Good luck!

If anyone needs a working SXRD in SoCal for spare parts, it's about to go on craigslist for local pickup.
Got one here in Indiana on Craigslist myself; been a good friend for years...

Chris C

post #24034 of 24035 Old 06-21-2017, 05:30 PM

Liked: 10
Just want to report I am also enjoying my Sony SXRD 50xbr1 after all these years. Up to my third bulb after 10 years (that's pretty good).
Picture still looks great while I continue to wait to get "the newest greatest" which seems to get better and better every year.
Also funny that Sony is now considered one of the best again after the fiasco of the early SXRD's and the green blob and Sony sending everyone an almost free flat screen.

videoking

"I hate to disillusion you, but the Batmobile went only thity-two miles an hour" Adam West.
post #24035 of 24035 Old 09-16-2017, 10:12 PM

Liked: 10
I have still been keeping my 60xbr1 working, but have had some troubles with overheating (replaced the fan a couple of times), had the optical block replaced (around 6 years ago?), replaced the bulb about 4 years ago, and had to tape the sensor for the lamp compartment down when it stopped making contact. As of today, I am getting the three flashing red light code (lamp compartment), but the bulb looks like it is fine, and the tv refuses to turn on even when I open up the lamp compartment and hold the sensor down with my finger.

Does anyone have any ideas, or perhaps a recommendation for a repair person for this in the Northeast New Jersey area? I would like to get it repaired and cleaned out and get at least another year out of it before I start looking for a new set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page