Owners Tweaks & Settings Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1646 Old 11-23-2005, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's great to hear. I could care less about a blank input screen, but seeing those hues on an active picture would be a problem if it was very noticeable. Enjoy your new calibrated set!

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD (calibration soon), Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1646 Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 AM

Anyone know how to get rid of the noise around text displayed (and sometimes areas of great contrast difference)? I have a SD DirecTivo hooked up via S-video cable and can't seem to get any of the settings, other than turning Direct Mode on, to make a significant difference. Direct Mode does, but it also softens the picture too much for my preference. Everyone who has watched it has said that everything looks too pixelated. I have a 60" and the couch is about 9' away. I also see some of the same problems on a HD feed via local cable.
My 32" analog WEGA displayed the DirecTivo better than the SXRD!

I also have some coloration problems on inputs with no feed and have problems with the vertical side bars (left one is bluish and the right one is greenish), but have yet to see the color bleed on the active screen when it is showing anything other than total black.
post #393 of 1646 Old 11-23-2005, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbndesigns View Post

Anyone know how to get rid of the noise around text displayed (and sometimes areas of great contrast difference)? I have a SD DirecTivo hooked up via S-video cable and can't seem to get any of the settings, other than turning Direct Mode on, to make a significant difference. Direct Mode does, but it also softens the picture too much for my preference. Everyone who has watched it has said that everything looks too pixelated. I have a 60" and the couch is about 9' away. I also see some of the same problems on a HD feed via local cable.
My 32" analog WEGA displayed the DirecTivo better than the SXRD!

I also have some coloration problems on inputs with no feed and have problems with the vertical side bars (left one is bluish and the right one is greenish), but have yet to see the color bleed on the active screen when it is showing anything other than total black.

I suggest using the composite instead of the S-Vid. Your TV will do a lot more to a composite source than an SVid source, and it will likely look a lot better.

Re: the 32" comment - it didn't display it better, it displayed it smaller, which makes anything look better.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #394 of 1646 Old 11-23-2005, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsab View Post

Thanks Gil. I look forward to seeing your settings and pics.

Okay, here we go:

Pics to peruse at 1280x960: http://homepage.mac.com/gilwave/PhotoAlbum16.html

or, download full-res 7.1 mega pixel 3072x2304: http://homepage.mac.com/gilwave

Settings as follows (those not listed are at Sony defaults for Video 7, HDMI in):

Pro mode, temperature Neutral, power saving off.

Picture 48
Brightness 27
Color 27
Hue R1
Sharpness 28

White Balance (I have only listed the ones that changed):

B-Gain -17
R-Bias +2
B-Bias +1

note that these adjustments and their proximity to our target value of
D6500 are dependent on the user menu's temperature setting - changing the
setting would impact the accuracy.

The Blue Gain was the most drastic change, and made an immediate noticeable difference in PQ.

-gil

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. - Frank Zappa
post #395 of 1646 Old 11-24-2005, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp View Post

Why would the SXRD handle a composite source any differently (better?) than an s-video source?

All modern TV's do. They perform a lot more picture enhancement on Composite sources. Just read the manual and it will tell you things like "only done on composite and RF sources". Why is a technical question that I don't have the answer to.

post #396 of 1646 Old 11-24-2005, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

OT - But i never thought i'd be sitting in front a of a TV watching a Dog Show. Anybody Watching NBC in HD? The dogs look so real i could almost reach out and pet them. Wow!
post #397 of 1646 Old 11-24-2005, 11:31 AM

Gil, I'm also gonna get a pro ISF callibration sometime in December. If I may ask, how much does it cost (round figure)? I have to decide who I should get. Kevin Miller may be available to me out here in Massapequa.

Your SXRD looks wonderful viewing your photos. Money well spent. Enjot the TV!

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3
SVS 25-31CS+
post #398 of 1646 Old 11-24-2005, 11:39 AM
TMV

I have a 60" SXRD Oct '05 mfd about two weeks now and after warm up, no real complaints. Yesterday I got home early and decided to put my Aria disc in to just view the calibrations of the set.
When the set is first powered up there is a streak of a light blue (purplish) running diagonally from 11 o'clock to 4 o'clock position about 15" wide or so and a mild green cast at the 7-8 o'clock position, but 90% of this disappiates after about 30-40 minutes and a blank gray screen looks rather uniform.

Running through chapter 7 of the Aria disc showed the set had excellent convergence and geometry calibration and all the solid colored screens showed no discoloration.
The total white screen was very uniform with just a very slight purple haze at the 11 o'clock position, but I had to look for it.

Now is the strange part...

I had moved my old 35" CRT TV out of the way against the wall to my left and forward of my couch by 2 feet or so. I had reach over to my left to grab the sony remote and on the CRT's face I viewed the new sony's reflection...it had
purple and green discoloration where it is when the set is first turned on !!!

I looked back at the sony and saw none of these splotches!!! ???
I put cable back on to HD programming and the picture was uniform with no obvious discolorations , but looked back at the CRT's reflection of the sony and there were splotches present. !!!??

That night I watched the program 'LOST' and when a beach scene was displayed the sand was uniform, no discoloration at all (beautiful picture)
but the CRT's sony reflection shows slpotches.
My wife pointed out to me that it was also discolored in the glass table's reflection that sits just in front of the couch.

Can anyone explain what is going on here?
post #399 of 1646 Old 11-24-2005, 11:49 AM

Strange, but the bottom line is it looks good on screen with a show playing.

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
SVS 25-31CS+
post #400 of 1646 Old 11-24-2005, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
"Can anyone explain what is going on here?"

Reflected light gets reflected differently based upon the part of the light spectrum. As long as you see a good pictue be happy.
post #401 of 1646 Old 11-24-2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle View Post

OT - But i never thought i'd be sitting in front a of a TV watching a Dog Show. Anybody Watching NBC in HD? The dogs look so real i could almost reach out and pet them. Wow!

We started watching it 'cause it came on after the parade. My kids were blown away by the definition of the dog's fur and coats against the blue backdrop of the arena.

My wife made the same comment - she felt like she could reach out and pet them. First dog show I have ever watched outside of Christopher Guest's "Best of Show".

post #402 of 1646 Old 11-24-2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEOKNG View Post

Gil, I'm also gonna get a pro ISF callibration sometime in December. If I may ask, how much does it cost (round figure)? I have to decide who I should get. Kevin Miller may be available to me out here in Massapequa.

Mark charges $295 for the main calibration, and $95 for each additional input. Since I will be getting the new DVDO unit I decided to pass on the DVD input calibration for now, as down the road I'll only have the HDMI input to the SXRD from the DVDO.

Quote:

Your SXRD looks wonderful viewing your photos. Money well spent. Enjoy the TV!

Thank you. I agree the money was well spent, plus now I know it's done and done right. I am in full enjoyment mode, as is my family and that was the whole point of upgrading to 50" and HD TV/DVR.

One happy camper!

post #403 of 1646 Old 11-24-2005, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info Gil. I'll probably wait till I receive my new Denon DVD-3910 but a pro calibration is in my immediate future.

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
SVS 25-31CS+
post #404 of 1646 Old 11-25-2005, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post

Mark charges $295 for the main calibration, and $95 for each additional input. Since I will be getting the new DVDO unit I decided to pass on the DVD input calibration for now, as down the road I'll only have the HDMI input to the SXRD from the DVDO.

Thank you. I agree the money was well spent, plus now I know it's done and done right. I am in full enjoyment mode, as is my family and that was the whole point of upgrading to 50" and HD TV/DVR.

One happy camper!

GilWave,

If you don't mind, what were the ambient lighting conditions when you had the calibration done?

TIA!
post #405 of 1646 Old 11-25-2005, 09:23 AM

Hi Codeman...

I had him come after dusk, so that there was no sunlight coming in from the bay window on the right side of my family room.

The initial calibration was done with an overhead light (containing 4 25 watt bulbs surrounded by an opaque semi-globe) on, 7 feet from the set, 7 feet off the ground (I have 7'8" ceilings).

Remainder of calibration done in near-total darkness, with a flashlight used on and off to read the equipment.

post #406 of 1646 Old 11-25-2005, 10:57 AM

Has anyone posted the discreet codes yet for the 50"/60"?

I have an RTI T2+ Remote and I can only find about half of what I need so far..

SONY KDS-R50XBR1
ROTEL RSX-1056 DTS Receiver
ROTEL RDV-1050 DVD Player
B&W CWM Speakers
Martin Logan Grotto Sub
RTI T2+ Remote Controller
PowerSpec MCE410 HTPC
AudioQuest/CinemaQuest Cables
post #407 of 1646 Old 11-25-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Hi Codeman...

I had him come after dusk, so that there was no sunlight coming in from the bay window on the right side of my family room.

The initial calibration was done with an overhead light (containing 4 25 watt bulbs surrounded by an opaque semi-globe) on, 7 feet from the set, 7 feet off the ground (I have 7'8" ceilings).

Remainder of calibration done in near-total darkness, with a flashlight used on and off to read the equipment.

Thanks for posting your results. I'm curious why you chose Neutral rather than Warm? Some of the reviews used Warm. Was the grayscale flatter/more accurate on your set in Neutral?
post #408 of 1646 Old 11-25-2005, 12:10 PM

Thanks, GilWave!
post #409 of 1646 Old 11-25-2005, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_jason View Post

I'm curious why you chose Neutral rather than Warm? Some of the reviews used Warm. Was the grayscale flatter/more accurate on your set in Neutral?

I decided to turn off all proceessing within the set to enable the calibration to take place with everything at "0" or "Off" to get the best direct color settings possible.

I can now add back whatever feature or DSP I want to the calibrated picture.

-gil

post #410 of 1646 Old 11-25-2005, 03:32 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Settings as follows (those not listed are at Sony defaults for Video 7, HDMI in):

Pro mode, temperature Neutral, power saving off.

Picture 48
Brightness 27
Color 27
Hue R1
Sharpness 28

White Balance (I have only listed the ones that changed):

B-Gain -17
R-Bias +2
B-Bias +1

note that these adjustments and their proximity to our target value of
D6500 are dependent on the user menu's temperature setting - changing the
setting would impact the accuracy.

The Blue Gain was the most drastic change, and made an immediate noticeable difference in PQ.

-gil

I'm confused. Why set it to Neutral and then turn down the Blue Gain so significantly? Why not just set it to Warm to start?
post #411 of 1646 Old 11-25-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflor View Post

I'm confused. Why set it to Neutral and then turn down the Blue Gain so significantly? Why not just set it to Warm to start?

Read my post directly above yours.

post #412 of 1646 Old 11-25-2005, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I brought DOWN my Red Bias, due to a little to much red in Black and White material.

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #413 of 1646 Old 11-26-2005, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Read my post directly above yours.

Your post addresses the digital enhancements, but not the Warm vs. Neutral. It seems most ISF's are calbrating based on the Warm setting (which is more red less blue), and yours started with Neutral then went to make it look more like Warm. If you switch to Warm now, you'll totally screw up the colors.

For what it's worth, on my 60", I tried your settings and the other guy's (from a couple pages ago), and the other guy's look much much better to me. Also set Iris to Min and Advanced Iris to Max per the article to maximize contrast. Amazing contrast, great depth, great blacks, etc.

In any case, whatever looks good to you.

post #414 of 1646 Old 11-26-2005, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Your post addresses the digital enhancements, but not the Warm vs. Neutral. It seems most ISF's are calbrating based on the Warm setting (which is more red less blue), and yours started with Neutral then went to make it look more like Warm. If you switch to Warm now, you'll totally screw up the colors.

For what it's worth, on my 60", I tried your settings and the other guy's (from a couple pages ago), and the other guy's look much much better to me. Also set Iris to Min and Advanced Iris to Max per the article to maximize contrast. Amazing contrast, great depth, great blacks, etc.

In any case, whatever looks good to you.

I see your point.

I wanted to start with Zero and go from there. To me if I started at Warm then the Sony engineers preset settings (which were made without considering the type of room situation I am dealing with) would have made assumptions and adjustments that I wanted the ISF tech to make from scratch.

I wish that Sony had incorporated the ability to save settings as Presets that could be recalled later - it would be useful to a-to-b settings, or save content-specific configurations.

post #415 of 1646 Old 11-26-2005, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEOKNG View Post

Thanks for the info Gil. I'll probably wait till I receive my new Denon DVD-3910 but a pro calibration is in my immediate future.

Let me know how you like that 3910 when you get it - I am debating getting that unit or the new Pioneer Elite 79AVI

Also - does your 8300HD DVR have the 80 gig drive or the 160? Have you found a suitable eSATA drive to add to it?

post #416 of 1646 Old 11-26-2005, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Has anyone had a 60 SXRD calibrated yet ? If so where are settings ?
Thanks Glen

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #417 of 1646 Old 11-26-2005, 11:06 AM

GilWave- I'd love it if you could post a pic of your set with your Powerbook hooked up- I'm curious about what this set can do as a computer display.
post #418 of 1646 Old 11-26-2005, 11:11 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Has anyone had a 60 SXRD calibrated yet ? If so where are settings ?
Thanks Glen

That is not really a fair thing to do and it is also not likely to work well. I make many of my adjustments in the service mode which results in the user menu being the default settings.
post #419 of 1646 Old 11-26-2005, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Are you going to be near Norman Oklahoma in the future?
Glen
Thanks UMR

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #420 of 1646 Old 11-26-2005, 11:51 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Are you going to be near Norman Oklahoma in the future?
Glen
Thanks UMR

I could be. All it would take is a small group of folks to want me to come to OKC and/or Tulsa. I use to live in OK myself and have done calibrations there before.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page