Owners Tweaks & Settings Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 1646 Old 03-02-2006, 02:51 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkserpent213 View Post

Can anyone please tell me how I can check my lamp hours for my 50" SXRD?

you can't. when the "lamp" light comes on and the picture doesn't, it's out of hours...

No, i can't go out, i'm watching Garbo...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1646 Old 03-02-2006, 05:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. Hendrickson View Post

you can't. when the "lamp" light comes on and the picture doesn't, it's out of hours...

Well I knew you could, I just didn't know how. Well I found out and here is the link to do it: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...vm#post6746771
post #933 of 1646 Old 03-02-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmabuyer View Post

I was able to adjust the vertical setting in the same menu where you set the convergence. You will have to hit the 1 key several times until you get to the submenu option 23 for VSFTRB. Mine was set to 0 from the factory, I was able to move the image displayed using the THX optimizer on the "Finding Nemo" disk by a value 16 pixels. This completely fills up the screen now and voila..... no more black bar at the top!!!!

Does the VSFTRB move the entire screen (RB and G)?

I am trying to find the vertical convergence correction in the service menu to see if I can eliminate the red error I Have across the whole screen.

This is the option that was supplied by another poster on this forum. It appears to move both red and blue at the same time. Yet from the post above, it appears as if it may shift the entire image. Sorry if I am misreading this. Just a little confused.

Thanks guys for all your help. I want to gather as much knowledge as I can before doing this. I am treading lightly here. Do not want to make something worse than it already is I may just have a tech come out, but the one I had before knew nothing about service menu adjustments for convergence.

Thanks.
Mike
post #934 of 1646 Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 AM

Liked: 20
"but I ended up with the dreaded purple-blacks. Otherwise a good picture."

I don't know how you can have a good picture with purple-blacks. They drive me nuts!!
post #935 of 1646 Old 03-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkk View Post

Does the VSFTRB move the entire screen (RB and G)?

I am trying to find the vertical convergence correction in the service menu to see if I can eliminate the red error I Have across the whole screen.

This is the option that was supplied by another poster on this forum. It appears to move both red and blue at the same time. Yet from the post above, it appears as if it may shift the entire image. Sorry if I am misreading this. Just a little confused.
Thanks.
Mike

I need to adjust both vert and horiz convergence. I prinbted out the instructions that were provided earlier in this thread (post # 7195498), but to be honest, those instructions just don't seem very clear to me. Is there anybody who can repost these instructions with better clarity? And, as you asked above as well, can the red and blue be adjusted independently? I just need to move my red down about 2 pixels...my blue seems fine.

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for chrissake!
post #936 of 1646 Old 03-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Ok so i just went on chad b website to see if he can refer someone to me in my area to calibrate my SXRD and to my suprise it list his schedule as in coming to illinois and indiana in the fourth week of the month. I just sent you a email chad to see if you can do my set.... With the basic fee of what ever you charge i will include a free dinner of your choice and what ever else you want man just work you magic on my set. Thanks alot and hope to hear from you soon.
post #937 of 1646 Old 03-03-2006, 01:15 PM

What is the address to chad b's website? I'm in Rhode Island and looking for a professional calibration.
post #938 of 1646 Old 03-03-2006, 02:45 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJVec View Post

What is the address to chad b's website? I'm in Rhode Island and looking for a professional calibration.

http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/
post #939 of 1646 Old 03-04-2006, 05:49 PM

This has come up here and there and via some PM's, so here it is:

Getting into the Service Menu (SM):

To get into SM with your set already on, press the following keys on the remote control within 4 seconds:

[POWER]
[DISPLAY]
[5]
[VOL+]
[POWER]

If you succeeded, you'll see a small green/cyan font display in the center of the screen.

To check Lamp Hours while in SM:

Press [JUMP] 3 times until you get a large neon green font display that shows

PANEL NVM OK top left.
Press [5] 5 times until you get to the 20 Timer, 0 LMP display. Lamp hours are displayed to the right.

Other useful keys:
[2] / [5] = up/down categories
[1] / [4] = up/down items

Don't press these unless you want to make changes:
[3] / [6] = change values
Getting Out of SM:

Likewise, to get out and stay on:

[POWER]
small pause
[POWER]

post #940 of 1646 Old 03-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Can someone who has had their set calibrated post the final user menu settings? I'm looking at white balance (keep seeing color tints when I adjust and can't stay happy) along with noise reduction/DTE settings.

I know vanrobson's settings, and have viewed a few others on here, but I would really appreciate those who have had their set ISF calibrated to post the settings here. If nothing else, the white balance settings everyone is using along with the rest of the user settings. Thanks!
post #941 of 1646 Old 03-05-2006, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJVec View Post

I emailed him and found out he does not do the Northeast. I live in south/upstate NY and unless there is at least 2 cals setup in the same area it's not worth it for him. I can understand his situation as gas is expensive. I will do a little searching down the road for someone who does work the Northeast.. Gerry
post #942 of 1646 Old 03-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

JohnnytheSkin

I doubt that the user menu settings for a set that's been ISF calibrated will be of much use to you. From what I understand, most ISF calibrations adjust white balance in the service menu, leaving the user menu settings more or less at the defaults.

The settings I posted for you above seem to be in the ball park.
post #943 of 1646 Old 03-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

bump for my question...can someone please post their TV settings for different sources, along with white balance? ISF'ed settings would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
post #944 of 1646 Old 03-07-2006, 04:11 PM

I've had my 60" about one month and am very happy with it. I put a calibration disk in last night for the first time and found no problems with the settings obtained from this forum except an image shift of about 6/10 of an inch to the left. I checked cable box on letterboxed and OTA on letterboxed this morning and found the same shift. I did a forum search and found entries on how to get into the service menu, but nothing specific enough to make me comfortable. What is the service menu setting to shift the image to the right and how do I get to it once I'm in the service menu? I admit I would not have noticed this shift without the calibration disk, so maybe I am being somewhat anal about a near perfect set, as I know some are not, but....any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
post #945 of 1646 Old 03-07-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four-Eyes View Post

I've had my 60" about one month and am very happy with it. I put a calibration disk in last night for the first time and found no problems with the settings obtained from this forum except an image shift of about 6/10 of an inch to the left. I checked cable box on letterboxed and OTA on letterboxed this morning and found the same shift. I did a forum search and found entries on how to get into the service menu, but nothing specific enough to make me comfortable. What is the service menu setting to shift the image to the right and how do I get to it once I'm in the service menu? I admit I would not have noticed this shift without the calibration disk, so maybe I am being somewhat anal about a near perfect set, as I know some are not, but....any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

I would like to know the answer to this also. I have noticed the shift even without the disk. Its seems to be from both HDMI inputs. My xbox 360 is hooked up to the component ins and I havent tried the disk in the 360 yet, but both cable and my dvd player (especially) are shifted to the left.
post #946 of 1646 Old 03-07-2006, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkserpent213 View Post

I would like to know the answer to this also. I have noticed the shift even without the disk. Its seems to be from both HDMI inputs. My xbox 360 is hooked up to the component ins and I havent tried the disk in the 360 yet, but both cable and my dvd player (especially) are shifted to the left.

Try here to get the picture centering info.

For service menu access, read this.
post #947 of 1646 Old 03-10-2006, 10:18 AM

I have the 50" SXRD and have done some self calibration via Avia and am generally satisfied with the results, but I admit that I don't have the detail in the shadows that I'd like.

I've played with the iris settings a bit, but don't understand how the settings cooperate or aid the normal contract/brightness adjustments. It's probably time to get the thing ISF'd in any event.

Can someone point me to a thread where folks comment on their experiences with various ISF folks that service the S.F. Bay Area near San Jose, where I live.

I'm looking for an ISF technician that KNOWS the "special" SXRD controls as well as the normal contrast/brightness/grey balance adjustments. I'm not interested in someone, no matter how good generally, that hasn't fully figured out such adjustments as IRIS and such.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
post #948 of 1646 Old 03-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anybody used a pattern generator (either the set's internal one or AVIA/DVE) to check convergence? It appears that I have some minor convergence issues in both directions, and based on some crude calculations, they seem to be about 2 pixels in magnitude.

Has anybody asked Sony to come and adjust it for them? How about using the service menu adjustments posted by ChadB? Do they work? Can the individual colors be adjusted separately in both directions?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for chrissake!
post #949 of 1646 Old 03-10-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoyd View Post

I have the 50" SXRD and have done some self calibration via Avia and am generally satisfied with the results, but I admit that I don't have the detail in the shadows that I'd like. ...

Black correcter OFF and Gamma LOW will provide better dark detail (if not too much so).
post #950 of 1646 Old 03-11-2006, 05:58 PM

Hi Folks, i am having issues with displaying close captioning on my 50 inch SXRD. I have comcast cable with a motorola HD receiver. i have turned caption vision to ON, tried all sorts of audio settings (changing the sound mode, effect and speaker settings). i'll be truly grateful if someone could help me out in this regard. Thanks !
post #951 of 1646 Old 03-11-2006, 09:24 PM

I connect my TV Sat feed through my Sony receiver via HDMI cables and if I ask the receiver to UPCONVERT all my video signals no close captioning is available. -- Maybe similar issue with your set up?

Tim
post #952 of 1646 Old 03-11-2006, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With the Motorola dvr you have to turn close captioning on in the box, The tv doesn't do the close captioning, so the tv serttings have no affect.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #953 of 1646 Old 03-12-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I've had my 60" SXRD for about two months now, and I'm glad I'm not the only person who's seen this problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopgirl View Post

Originally posted in Owner's thread

--I have a question on what I am seeing with our 60" XBR. We took delivery of this 2 weeks ago and approximately 1 week ago, when we turned on the set, and before the picture came on, there appeared a 5" oval green hue in the middle of the screen. Over the past week, this oval has grown to 2/3 of the screen.

This green hue is noticable with flesh tones (faces, hands arms, etc.), blonde hair, and occasionally you can detect it with white and some other colors. This is very faint with the picture. Do you think that this is a defect of the set or can this be adjusted through the menu. I don't know if this is a result of the "break in" of the set of something more serious. --

Well I called Sony and explained what we have been seeing during the past week. They did ask some questions about when it occurs - Cable, DVD, etc. I will say that it does not occur when playing a DVD. They had me unplug the set to "reset" it. They also asked if I had any speakers near the set and I indicated yes. They said that the speakers should be no less than 2 feet from the set to avoid interference. I did this and turned the set on - no difference. They have directed me to call the Qualia line as they said that the set has many of the features of the Qualia. I put a call into the Qualia office and the CSR indicated that the technicians were not in and to call back Monday.

I will put in a call to them tomorrow and see if they can tell me what this is. The Sony rep did indicate that if the Qualia office could not help (or if it was not their turf), to call back and they would set up a service call.

I have not gotten an extended warrenty yet knowing that I have some time, but I will definitely get a 5 year warrenty on this. It makes me uncomfortable that a level 2 person at Sony is unsure of a new product and what course to take on a problem. I kind of feel like a ginney pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanrobson View Post

It's not normal. It's not magnet. It's a flaw. I have 2 50" SXRD and my 2nd one have the problem. First one is fine. Replace it before it's too late.

Like Shopgirl, I got the green circle in the middle of the screen at startup, but it seems to "fade" in a few minutes. However, when you see a white or light gray background (say watching skiing) you'll see this green hue, or like she said, if someone with light blond hair is standing in this affected "area," their hair will look green too.

I called Tweeter,where I bought the set, and they sent someone to my house, and he saw it too and spoke with some of his colleagues. They thought replacing the optical block would fix it. They replaced it, and it didn't fix it. Big surgery on the big set. Nada. Instead of a "full green circle," it was like a "doughnut," where the middle is clear and OK, but the outside of that same circle is green.

Tweeter's been great about this. They actually asked if I could bring DVDs where it was apparent to their store, and play them on their store model 60" SXRD to see if they could see the problem. (My DVD player is an Oppo that upcoverts over HDMI, and I've been very happy with it, even if I have to set the delay to 50ms to alleviate lip sync) The problem is less pronounced on HD channels than it is on upconverted DVD and SD, but it's still noticeable.

So, I brought March Of The Penguins and LOTR:FOTR EE, both have a lot of white, and I would pause it on certain scenes (they used a DENON upconverting DVD player in the store). There was one very, very small section, slightly left of center, maybe about 1 inch in "diameter" at most where this greenish hue was visible, the same symptom I saw, but not nearly as bad. The salesman who sold me the TV, saw it too. He said that unless anyone had pointed it out to him, he would have never noticed. They switched to their HD feed (DirecTV) and again, that very slight green hue was visible on that same part of the screen on rare occurences, i.e., when it was a white or gray background.

We took the Denon and those DVDs and hooked it up to a Mits DLP (can't remember the model, it was the 62" DLP with the 250 GIG hard drive) and the problem wasn't there, nor did we see it when looking at the Panny Plasmas. The salesman just really wanted to be sure it wasn't the DVDs and the way they were mastered or the way the movies themselves were shot. We didn't see it on the HD TV feed on those TV's either.

Is this just a limitation of the model? Is it a problem with Sony's LCOS technology as a whole? Are there any settings that can fix this? (On other BB's, some people said they saw this, and tried settings like color temperature, vivid vs standard, etc., and changing color strengths to try to address this...none of their suggestions worked for me, and didn't work for some of them, either.)

The Tweeter salesman said he's going to try and speak with Sony, but he wasn't optimistic. I got the impression that Sony was tough to deal with for them.

The good news is that Tweeter said they'll swap the set with no problems. The bad news is I can't seem to make up my mind as to what to do next.

If the model always has this problem I'll probably go crazy, since now my eye is attuned to looking for it.

However, the PQ on this set is spectacular. The Winter Olympics on NBC HD looked amazing. I found myself watching sports I don't even like (like the speed skating and ice dancing) because the rinks looked unlike anything I've ever seen before on TV. The scenes right before and right after each commercial, where they had shots of snowy mountain tops and villages were wonderful. Upconverted DVD, although not quite as good as HD, looks smooth and clear. Don't get me wrong, I love this set. I would just have a hard time "living with" such a flaw, if indeed, it's inherent to the SXRD line.

Tweeter also said that if I wanted to, I could swap it for another make/model altogether, and pay the difference/get credited for the difference. Almost all other sets, though, paled in comparison. The Pioneer and Panny Plasmas were OK PQ-wise, but much smaller for the price. The upconverted DVD on the Mits DLP looked horrible. PQ was OK in HD TV on the Mits, just not nearly as good as the Sony SXRD.

My hope is that my set and the store's set are lemons, and that this behavior isn't typical. Seeing Shopgirl's post, vanrobsn's post, and posts at other sites makes me wonder, though. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone have some experience or knowledge of the SXRD line that could shed any light on this...whether it's typical, can be fixed with settings, just shouldn't happen at all, etc...?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
post #954 of 1646 Old 03-12-2006, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

ILJG - see this thread if you haven't already...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=636342

The blob is a problem. Numerous owners have reported their set has the blob. Also, numerous owners have reported their set does not have the blob. The green blob problem is probably isolated to a small percentage of sets.

Easiest way to check is to use the memory stick screen without a memory stick inserted into the tv because the memory stick screen displays a large what-is-suppose-to-be uniform field making it easy to spot the blob.

It seems from owner's posts here on the forum that more recently built sets (like Jan, Feb builds) do not exhibit the problem.
post #955 of 1646 Old 03-12-2006, 12:03 PM

I've got the 50'' SXRD and the Oppo OPDV971H the connection is Vid. 7 with a DVI HDMI cable. I am looking for ISF calibration settings for this setup. Can someone post or link me to these settings. Thanks. I love this TV.
post #956 of 1646 Old 03-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

I'm also looking for any ISF settings (preferably more recent) as well. However I'm wondering if anyone else has used GetGray's calibration disc from the calbiration thread. I'm looking for some assistance. Thanks!
post #957 of 1646 Old 03-13-2006, 08:03 AM

Ah my first post

I will warn you now I am a total noob when it comes to high end home theater so please take things with a grain of salt and if you have any recommendations, tips, etc please keep the terminology simple until I get more involved in this.

Anyway, my wife and I just bought our first house and are moving in this weekend. As a gift to ourselves we went out to get a 60" SXRD to replace our 5 yr old relic.

As a recommendation we went to Tweeter and put a deposit down and were going to pick the set up from the store closer to our new place. However, when I got home and did some more reading I found out a local shop - Beach Camera (with an excellent track record from what ive seen/heard) was/is selling the 60" for $3599 (price available online if anyone is interested) !!! -- yes thats right, brand new, etc ... needles to say Tweeter wouldnt match the price and I now have an extra couple hundred bucks in my pocket. I was even able to get a 3 yr warranty (with in home service), including a bulb replacement, for $250 vs the 500+ Tweeter wanted.

Ok enough with the background ... we got the tv home and plugged it in just to make sure it was ok and nothing was broken. Didnt run any type of setup yet, just plugged a cheap DVD player in to check the picture - looks good so far.

This weekend when I set things up (progressive scan DVD, some video game consoles, a Tivo box) I will be running the THX Optimizer on the Monsters Inc disk. Do you think this will provide acceptable results before I get my DVE disk or should I just stick with the settings posted way back on like page 5?

Our cable company comes out on Monday to set us up with tv, phone, internet so Ill talk to him then about getting HD service.

Thanks
post #958 of 1646 Old 03-13-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:

I've got the 50'' SXRD and the Oppo OPDV971H the connection is Vid. 7 with a DVI HDMI cable. I am looking for ISF calibration settings for this setup. Can someone post or link me to these settings. Thanks. I love this TV.

duvy56,
I think about getting the same setup you have, the 50" SXRD and the Oppo player.
I will have the max. viewing distance of 7 feet. What do you think, is this distance not too close to watch DVDs and similar material? I know HDTV looks great from so close, but I am concerned about how the lower resolution material (480p) will look from 7 feet, even with an upscaling DVD player like Oppo.
You like the TV, well... what is your minimum viewing distance that your are happy with?
And I have another question, do you have any problems with the Oppo player like AV sync issues? Does it work well with the 50" SXRD?

Thanks
post #959 of 1646 Old 03-13-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czupak View Post

And I have another question, do you have any problems with the Oppo player like AV sync issues? Does it work well with the 50" SXRD?

Thanks

I was experiencing the sync issue with the same setup until I changed to just using the Oppo's 720p output... haven't seen it since. I was getting it when using the 1080i output so I'm not sure if it's a by-product of the extra processing that either the Sony or Oppo have to do.
post #960 of 1646 Old 03-13-2006, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartEvans View Post

I was experiencing the sync issue with the same setup until I changed to just using the Oppo's 720p output... haven't seen it since. I was getting it when using the 1080i output so I'm not sure if it's a by-product of the extra processing that either the Sony or Oppo have to do.

Our basement home theater (the little one with the Sony SXRD 50" and Oppo DVD) was also having this sync issue on 1080i DVI output from the Oppo.

I solved it with my Universal MX-3000 remote control. I setup the "Play" button on the DVD to first "play" and next switch the tv to "Video 7" and this seems to obviate the problem.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page