Owners Tweaks & Settings Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1646 Old 10-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Member
 
ABhatnagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d View Post

Need Help!- Sony KDSR-50XBR1 and RCA DTC100

I have a problem. There is a vga output on my RCA directv receiver, but when I plugged it into the VGA input on the SXRD, the picture was very small (literally 16x9 inches) and centered in the middle of the screen. Is this input for PCs only or can I make this work. Currently I have an adaptor that converts the VGA into component, but the picture is still not filling the screen. It has about 4 inches on either side. I have tried using the overscan option +2 to fix the problem, but i still have a bout 1/4" of a black bar on the right side. Any suggestions?

I too see the same thing using the PC input. When using HDMI I can get it to fill the screen, but when I use fullscreen mode on the PC things get messed up. My video card is an ATI Radeon x850 with the latest Catalyst drivers and control panel installed.

Anyone else having this issue and any thoughts and/or resolution? If so, please post.

-Arv
ABhatnagar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1646 Old 10-17-2005, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
The VGA input is for PCs only and it appears to function that way by design.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #93 of 1646 Old 10-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Newbie
 
Shermadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK guys I finally got my TV in Today and so far I love it. I have been reading the forums about this tv for a couple months now. This is my first big screen tv, my last TV was a 36" CRT. I have a couple questions though I hope some of you might be able to help me with.

1. I'm trying to set up my tv to send the digital and analog sound out to my receiver, so I can play all the sound on my surround sound system. I connected them using the optical Digital out on my tv and even the RCA R and L for the analog and for some reason I'm still not getting any sound out of my surround sound speakers. I do have the speakers turned off on the tv like the manual says, just not sure if I am missing something?!?!?!

2. THIS IS A WARNING: I am quite a noob and I don;t want to scare any one. I would first like to say I love this tv the picture is the best I have ever seen. What I describe as happening might be something all together different, so don't get scared. Through this forum I have heard about this SSE deal about how you can see "sparkles" when the screen is white. I don;t have any experience with this before, but I have noticed that on my screen I can see what I think is SSE. The bad thing is its not only on white backgrounds its on any color (besides a really dark color) where is takes up a decent amount of the screen. What it looks like to me is part of the screen. This may be pixilation, but it is very noticable at 8 feet. Its kind of annoying. The only thing that makes me feel like this isn;t really SSE is its worse on SD broadcasts. My HD broadcasts are much better and don't show this as much. Is there any settings I could do that would lessen this? Its kind of distracting from the great picture I am getting from this great TV.

The easiest way to describe what I am seeing is it kinda looks like I have dust on my screen that I am watching the tv though...

Thanks for any help....
Shermadog is offline  
post #94 of 1646 Old 10-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Newbie
 
KRATOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver/OKC
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would really like to see what other owner's picture setting are for hd, dvd etc. Bringing down the brightness helped me for sd but if people could post their complete settings this would be helpful to many of us. I'll post mine when I get home from work.
KRATOS is offline  
post #95 of 1646 Old 10-17-2005, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I found this in the Qualia thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post5999155

This is EXACTLY the behavior I'm seeing when I put up a convergence grid, except my issue is only on the left and right side of the lines, and only in the right side of the screen. His pics are such a good representation that I don't need to post any! From some of the descriptions of this behavior there, it seems like I may actually be in pretty good shape. Once again, it's not noticeable on normal viewing.

Edit - Mine is also green to the right and red to the left.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #96 of 1646 Old 10-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Member
 
Curt Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been having some gripes with SSE on my set, and want to minimize it as much as possible, while keeping an overall bright image quality.

Here's my settings which I also posted in the owners thread:

Can anyone give me some reccomendationst to improve my current settings, reduce SSE, and still retain a bright overall image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Anderson View Post

I put my Brightness at 15 (very watchable)

and put the contrast range, to "High" (advanced iris)

and the SSE seems to be noticibly improved. Albeit just a bit darker. But there is still substantial SSE on large bright/white moving images.

my settings, which have now been futzed around so much and are by no means perfect by DVE standards. But looks good to my eyes are:

For a HD Motorola DVR connected to the TV via DVI-HDMI

PRO option:
Iris - 2 for reduced SSE Max for a brighter image (Seems to brighten the overall picture which I like but SSE is Very noticable)
Picture 58
Brightness 15
Color 31
Hue 0
Sharpness 55
Color Temp Warm
Noise Reduction Low
Direct Mode Off
Advanced:
DRC Cinemotion
Drc Pallet Custom 3 (Reality 1, Clarity 1)
Bn smoother off
Advanced Iris High
Color Corrector Off
DTE Low
clear white off
detain enhancer off
black corrector medium
gamma corrector low


Any reccomendations based on this? anyone want to give my settings a try and refine them by "eye" to reduce SSE and enhance PQ. While preferably retaining a suitibly bright image?


55' HX800
Curt Anderson is offline  
post #97 of 1646 Old 10-17-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maximum360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HomeGuy,

Where are those setting you promised?

"Guns? Guns are easy."
maximum360 is offline  
post #98 of 1646 Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Member
 
mbartok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: California
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I set up a friend's 50 inch Sony XBR1 on Sunday and noticed the same issues on AVIA involving convergence as others. It was particularly noiticeable on the upper right corner of the 16x9 screen. The red convergence was off. I assume there is not much anyone can do about this. However, has any one got the access codes to access the service menu for these units? Maybe there is something in the service menu that may allow for the convergence to be adjusted.
mbartok is offline  
post #99 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 04:47 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartok View Post

I set up a friend's 50 inch Sony XBR1 on Sunday and noticed the same issues on AVIA involving convergence as others. It was particularly noiticeable on the upper right corner of the 16x9 screen. The red convergence was off. I assume there is not much anyone can do about this. However, has any one got the access codes to access the service menu for these units? Maybe there is something in the service menu that may allow for the convergence to be adjusted.

You can't adjust convergence on these sets. Unlike the three CRT's on a RPTV (which must be converged, i.e., they move), the SXRD technology has the three color panels, or whatever they are called, joined or fixed as part of the production process.
rlb is online now  
post #100 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 05:12 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermadog View Post

OK guys I finally got my TV in Today and so far I love it. I have been reading the forums about this tv for a couple months now. This is my first big screen tv, my last TV was a 36" CRT. I have a couple questions though I hope some of you might be able to help me with.

1. I'm trying to set up my tv to send the digital and analog sound out to my receiver, so I can play all the sound on my surround sound system. I connected them using the optical Digital out on my tv and even the RCA R and L for the analog and for some reason I'm still not getting any sound out of my surround sound speakers. I do have the speakers turned off on the tv like the manual says, just not sure if I am missing something?!?!?!

2. THIS IS A WARNING: I am quite a noob and I don;t want to scare any one. I would first like to say I love this tv the picture is the best I have ever seen. What I describe as happening might be something all together different, so don't get scared. Through this forum I have heard about this SSE deal about how you can see "sparkles" when the screen is white. I don;t have any experience with this before, but I have noticed that on my screen I can see what I think is SSE. The bad thing is its not only on white backgrounds its on any color (besides a really dark color) where is takes up a decent amount of the screen. What it looks like to me is part of the screen. This may be pixilation, but it is very noticable at 8 feet. Its kind of annoying. The only thing that makes me feel like this isn;t really SSE is its worse on SD broadcasts. My HD broadcasts are much better and don't show this as much. Is there any settings I could do that would lessen this? Its kind of distracting from the great picture I am getting from this great TV.

The easiest way to describe what I am seeing is it kinda looks like I have dust on my screen that I am watching the tv though...

Thanks for any help....

I've never noticed SSE on my set (despite reading the descriptions, I'm probably too dumb to know what I'm seeing) so I can't help with that issue.

Regarding the sound. I presume you're trying to get sound for programming that entered via either the cable or antenna coaxial input. Otherwise, I would go direct from the component (cable box, satellite box, DVD playet, etc.) to your receiver. Another possible issue, if you are getting the signal from a DVI output and using a conversion cable to go to the HDMI input on your TV, you will need to use analog audio cables because the original DVI output has no audio signal. Finally, I would go through the "trouble shooting" steps contained in your receiver manual (e.g., have you selected the proper input for your receiver).
rlb is online now  
post #101 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 05:18 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d View Post

Need Help!- Sony KDSR-50XBR1 and RCA DTC100

I have a problem. There is a vga output on my RCA directv receiver, but when I plugged it into the VGA input on the SXRD, the picture was very small (literally 16x9 inches) and centered in the middle of the screen. Is this input for PCs only or can I make this work. Currently I have an adaptor that converts the VGA into component, but the picture is still not filling the screen. It has about 4 inches on either side. I have tried using the overscan option +2 to fix the problem, but i still have a bout 1/4" of a black bar on the right side. Any suggestions?

Hate to sound sarcastic, but my suggestion is to use the component output from the RCA to the Sony. Both are analog; so I don't see any potential benefit from the VGA, and there are obvious downsides (you are seeing one of them).
rlb is online now  
post #102 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 05:54 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Heat View Post

I set up my DVD player last night (Toshiba 4800) using Avia. After much back and forth I have decided that the 480i PQ looks better on this set than when I have the player set to progessive. This is interesting to me as I remember when I first bought this DVD player and mated with an older Hitachi HD RPTV, the progessive mode was clearly the better PQ. Must have something to do with how the SXRD de-interlaces the picture. I now want to purchase the Oppo DVD player as from reading in this forum the 1080i seems to be the best choice for this display.

I don't have the settings written down but from memory.....the brightness was set to like 13. The picture setting close to max...I think 60 or 61. This was difficult to set becasue using the Avia patterns I could not find blooming or white crush oon the pattern even when tunred up to max......anybody casre to elaborate on this? Should this be set much lower than where I have it?
Color and Hue were right on target straight out of the box. I turned sharpness down to around 17. Iris on 2. Advanced iris off. Color temp set to normal.

PQ is very good on 480i, however I feel there is still room for improvement. Even on normal color temp there seems to be a slight red push, although I olny see a 5% push on the Avia pattern. Anybody know how to fix this?

I would like to get the DVD PQ closer to the HBO HD feed that I see for movies like i Robot. These seem to be more 'crisp' than my current DVD PQ. I will start buy upscaling 1080i with the Oppo player and go from there. Could other SXRD owners share their settings and any tips/tricks to getting the DVD PQ more 'crisp' like the HBO HD feed??

No matter what you do with it, DVD starts with a 480i signal and will never look as sharp as HD (720p or 1080i). The Oppo will probably look better with an upgraded 1080i signal, but it is on the margin--not significantly different. That is what I have found with my Denon 2910 which uses the same deinterlace/upconvert chip as the Oppo.

Yes, picture/contrast will not "bloom" on these sets. I set mine on the Sony "dot" which was "58" for 1080i input. Your brightness seems very low; although between Avia and your viewing of the picture; presume it is at least close. Believe the Sony "dot" is around "38". I used DVE and I believe my brightness is "38". I like DVE better for brightness and contrast; but prefer Avia for color settings and checking the color decoder. Which brings me to your 5% red push on Avia pattern--which I wouldn't personally worry about. Even the Avia disk says you should lower color, if required, to get red within 15-20%.
rlb is online now  
post #103 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 06:10 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by manktank View Post

i have the same "issue" with convergence....its only on the right sde , center is perfect and left side is almost perfect, the cyand and magenta are just a tad more noticible on the right on either side of the grid lines....i just refused to drive myself insane with this kinda stuff, the picture is still STUNNING 10 feet back.

Absolutely correct! I'm definitely not a technical type; but I'm sure Sony has developed "acceptable tolerances" for this issue; and I presume they are tested before use. Doesn't mean a problem won't slip out; but it shouldn't happen. I'm sure it would be impossible for any set to be 100%--it's like trying to get to infinity. Think of the 2 million pixels on each of the three color wafers (or whatever we call them). Then position the three on top of each other and "fix them in place". Any variance, no matter how small (e.g., 1/1000th the width of a human hair), will result in color outside the white lines, even if it is so small that we can't see it.

Bottom line: If it doesn't affect the picture we see from our viewing position, why worry about it!
rlb is online now  
post #104 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AbMagFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Absolutely correct! I'm definitely not a technical type; but I'm sure Sony has developed "acceptable tolerances" for this issue; and I presume they are tested before use. Doesn't mean a problem won't slip out; but it shouldn't happen. I'm sure it would be impossible for any set to be 100%--it's like trying to get to infinity. Think of the 2 million pixels on each of the three color wafers (or whatever we call them). Then position the three on top of each other and "fix them in place". Any variance, no matter how small (e.g., 1/1000th the width of a human hair), will result in color outside the white lines, even if it is so small that we can't see it.

Bottom line: If it doesn't affect the picture we see from our viewing position, why worry about it!

So true. I have some minor convergence issues on the top and bottom, but I can only see them when I stick my face 2-inches from the TV. If I'm back even just a couple feet, I can't see any issues. My normal viewing distance is a close 9-feet (I love that movie theater feeling), and the convergence looks perfect from there.

This is an issue where you need to be practical.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
AbMagFab is offline  
post #105 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PaulGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 3,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
However the minor convergence problems does lower the overall effective picture resolution. It may not be the same problem but I found fringing around bright objects on the demo sets I viewed.
PaulGo is offline  
post #106 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I also lowered my brightness to 15, and it does make a huge difference on SSE.

For TV viewing:

Iris 2
Advanced Iris High
Picture to 41.
Color is on the dot, but I lowered the red gain and bias a notch or two,
Sharpness 20

These settings seem to produce a great picture that has good contrast, good shadow detail, but that isn't too bright. These TVs can be extremely bright if you want to set them that way.

If you're watching a really dark program, you can hit the gamma corrector to low. But, this seemed quite watchable to me.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #107 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AbMagFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

However the minor convergence problems does lower the overall effective picture resolution. It may not be the same problem but I found fringing around bright objects on the demo sets I viewed.

More likely, this was due to the Vivid setting, and all the enhancements set to On. I found that this causes edge distortion.

The owners thread (and my own experience as a result) suggests you get a much better picture in Pro mode, and turning off all the enhancements. The extremely minor convergence issues have no noticable effect of picture clarity or focus.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
AbMagFab is offline  
post #108 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Based on the pictures posted, I doubt these minor convergence issues effect PQ noticeably at a proper viewing distance. Watch some HD Tennis, that is sure to reveal a problem in PQ if one exists (I believe UHD replays US open regularly).
Marc Alexander is offline  
post #109 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AbMagFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post

Based on the pictures posted, I doubt these minor convergence issues effect PQ noticeably at a proper viewing distance. Watch some HD Tennis, that is sure to reveal a problem in PQ if one exists (I believe UHD replays US open regularly).

Except UHD is HD-lite (1080x1280), so who knows what DirecTV has done to distort the picture already, and what happens when the HD Tivo tries to turn it back into a valid HD resolution.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
AbMagFab is offline  
post #110 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Desert Heat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

No matter what you do with it, DVD starts with a 480i signal and will never look as sharp as HD (720p or 1080i). The Oppo will probably look better with an upgraded 1080i signal, but it is on the margin--not significantly different. That is what I have found with my Denon 2910 which uses the same deinterlace/upconvert chip as the Oppo.

Yes, picture/contrast will not "bloom" on these sets. I set mine on the Sony "dot" which was "58" for 1080i input. Your brightness seems very low; although between Avia and your viewing of the picture; presume it is at least close. Believe the Sony "dot" is around "38". I used DVE and I believe my brightness is "38". I like DVE better for brightness and contrast; but prefer Avia for color settings and checking the color decoder. Which brings me to your 5% red push on Avia pattern--which I wouldn't personally worry about. Even the Avia disk says you should lower color, if required, to get red within 15-20%.


Yes, I would think a 13 brightness would be too low however, when I check black level on Avia that is where the left black bar completely disappears. I will try to get a hold of DVE and check it again with that. How do I know if my dvd player is passing BTB signal?? Is there something I can check in the dvd player menu? I wonder if that might be the problem?
Desert Heat is offline  
post #111 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Actually it's 1280x1080, but you probably knew that already? That resolution doesn't really have anything to do with the quality, it is the bandwidth (or lack thereof) that is allocated which is an issue. The pixels in 1280x1080 have to be non-square pixels, otherwise the aspect ratio would be hosed. Perhaps it yields a better PQ when overcompressed than the original 1920x1080. But, maybe you should ask Dish and Voom, because they are doing the same thing on some channels.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #112 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AbMagFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Actually it's 1280x1080, but you probably knew that already? That resolution doesn't really have anything to do with the quality, it is the bandwidth (or lack thereof) that is allocated which is an issue. The pixels in 1280x1080 have to be non-square pixels, otherwise the aspect ratio would be hosed. Perhaps it yields a better PQ when overcompressed than the original 1920x1080. But, maybe you should ask Dish and Voom, because they are doing the same thing on some channels.

It's not just the resolution, it's that DirecTV is taking a 1920x1080 picture and turning it into a 1280x1080 picture. In that process, who knows what they screw up, including color, edges, etc., as that's not just a simple process of removing pixels.

Plus, the non-standard HD resolution means the HD Tivo has to do a further transformation into a standard HD resolution, and who knows what happens in that process.

Remember, from 1280x1080 to 1920x1080, the HD Tivo needs to add 50% more resolution/pixel information. It's likely a lot of strange things are happening as a result.

Your best bet to judge HD picture quality is a 1080i OTA signal, not a DirecTV HD-lite picture.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
AbMagFab is offline  
post #113 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

It's not just the resolution, it's that DirecTV is taking a 1920x1080 picture and turning it into a 1280x1080 picture. In that process, who knows what they screw up, including color, edges, etc., as that's not just a simple process of removing pixels.

Plus, the non-standard HD resolution means the HD Tivo has to do a further transformation into a standard HD resolution, and who knows what happens in that process.

Remember, from 1280x1080 to 1920x1080, the HD Tivo needs to add 50% more resolution/pixel information. It's likely a lot of strange things are happening as a result.

Your best bet to judge HD picture quality is a 1080i OTA signal, not a DirecTV HD-lite picture.

This whole conversation is off topic, and has been debated ad nauseum in the HDTV Programming and Hardware forums. There are a lot of non-techical opinions on this issue, but I have to disagree with you. The only quality degradation on DirecTV is from a lack of bandwidth. You would be hard pressed to prove that transmission of 1920x1080 (square pixels) in a 1280x1080 format (non-square pixels) results in any loss of information. All of the Voom channels on Dish network are in 1280x1080. Voom has been touted as "reference quality." Do an Internet search for square and non-square pixels. It is in the MPEG and WMV specs.

Also, pointing people to OTA as a reference is not correct, either. Many OTA channels have subchannels, and as such they are no longer allocating full bandwidth to their signals.

To sum it up: The quality issues on DirecTV are as a result of insufficient bandwidth. The 1280x1080 (while potentially a contributing factor) is certainly not the root of the problem. If they transmit 1280x1080 non-square pixels at 19Mb/sec and 1920x1080 square pixels at 19Mb/sec you would never be able to tell the difference, because the EXACT same amount of picture information is there, it is just being transmitted in a different format. The reason this whole HD-Lite term was coined is because of insufficient bandwidth, which causes pixelation anytime large portions of the screen require updates.

The pixels are not square. Even though it is 1280x1080 it still has to be widescreen. If it were not, you would see the stretch, because 1280x1080 with square pixels is basically 4:3. DirecTV can't just magically create information that isn't there, it would have to be stretched to fill the screen. And this is where the confusion comes from. 1920x1080 = 1280x1080, but the 1280 lines are 50% wider due to non-square pixels. Why does DirecTV do this? Who knows, maybe they are able to compress it better that way, I don't know. But I do know that DirecTV is not the only player in the business doing the same thing.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #114 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AbMagFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

This whole conversation is off topic, and has been debated ad nauseum in the HDTV Programming and Hardware forums. There are a lot of non-techical opinions on this issue, but I have to disagree with you. The only quality degradation on DirecTV is from a lack of bandwidth. You would be hard pressed to prove that transmission of 1920x1080 (square pixels) in a 1280x1080 format (non-square pixels) results in any loss of information. All of the Voom channels on Dish network are in 1280x1080. Voom has been touted as "reference quality." Do an Internet search for square and non-square pixels. It is in the MPEG and WMV specs.

Also, pointing people to OTA as a reference is not correct, either. Many OTA channels have subchannels, and as such they are no longer allocating full bandwidth to their signals.

To sum it up: The quality issues on DirecTV are as a result of insufficient bandwidth. The 1280x1080 (while potentially a contributing factor) is certainly not the root of the problem. If they transmit 1280x1080 non-square pixels at 19Mb/sec and 1920x1080 square pixels at 19Mb/sec you would never be able to tell the difference, because the EXACT same amount of picture information is there, it is just being transmitted in a different format. The reason this whole HD-Lite term was coined is because of insufficient bandwidth, which causes pixelation anytime large portions of the screen require updates.

The pixels are not square. Even though it is 1280x1080 it still has to be widescreen. If it were not, you would see the stretch, because 1280x1080 with square pixels is basically 4:3. DirecTV can't just magically create information that isn't there, it would have to be stretched to fill the screen. And this is where the confusion comes from. 1920x1080 = 1280x1080, but the 1280 lines are 50% wider due to non-square pixels. Why does DirecTV do this? Who knows, maybe they are able to compress it better that way, I don't know. But I do know that DirecTV is not the only player in the business doing the same thing.

That is the most bizarre logic I've heard in a while. This is not a Chicken/Egg scenario.

#1 - DirecTV was broadcasting source material in 1920x1080 for quite a while. It looked great at the time.

#2 - Once bandwidth became an issue for DirecTV, they downrezzed the HD to 1280x1080. The bandwidth constraint is what forced them to downrez, to save bandwidth.

#3 - A 1080p television has discrete pixels to display every pixel of a 1920x1080 signal.

#4 - Downrezzing a 1080i signal to 1280x1080 means, at a minimum, on a 1080p TV, that you will have noticable reduced resolution.

#5 - Downrezzing a 1080i signal to 1280x1080 means you are removing pixels. And you can't just pluck them out, you have to smooth the picture, re-sharpen edges, etc. That is you have to mess with the source picture. This often results in a picture that looks worse on a 720p set since the source material had been messed with, not just scaled.

#6 - Keeping the same resolution and reducing bandwidth means you increase compression, and likely show compression artifacts, but you still maintain the resolution. Reducing the resolution means you are reducing picture quality, period.

To argue that this is solely a bandwidth issue is not rational. It all starts from the resolution of the source image. If you keep the resolution the same, then yes, bandwidth is the next issue. But if you reduce the resolution, that's guaranteeing a worse picture.

And very few OTA networks are recompressing their source feeds. There are some, but most just pass on the network feed. Subchannels by themselves don't mean they need to recompress, as they have a lot of wiggle room.

Bottom line:
1 - DirecTV is both reducing bandwidth and reducing resolution of their HD source material, resulting in an inferior HD picture (hardly reference).

2 - OTA HD feeds are rarely recompressed, and far superior to all DirecTV HD channels.


And I'd love to see any sources you have that say a 1280x1080 signal is "reference" since it's not even a valid HD resolution. Perhaps it's reference for Dish, but it's not even close to reference HD.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
AbMagFab is offline  
post #115 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Bottom line: You don't understand what a non-square pixel is. The main issue is bandwidth.

I don't disagree with the fact that DirecTV has PQ issues. You're totally confusing the issue. I'm just saying that DirecTV isn't the only game in town doing it. 1280x1080 is contributing to the lack of pristine HD, but it is the re-encode at a 10-12Mbps data rate that is what is REALLY compromising the picture. The same amount of picture information is contained in the 1280x1080 signal. They've been practicing this technique on DVDs for some time. How do you think those DVDs get "enhanced for widescreen TVs?" They pack the same amount of picture information on a disc with the exact same resolution, and yet it can be reproduced on a digital display in perfect 2.35:1. They use non-square picture aspect ratios. But, there is no point in clogging this thread up anymore with such useful details.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #116 of 1646 Old 10-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Newbie
 
Shermadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

I've never noticed SSE on my set (despite reading the descriptions, I'm probably too dumb to know what I'm seeing) so I can't help with that issue.

Regarding the sound. I presume you're trying to get sound for programming that entered via either the cable or antenna coaxial input. Otherwise, I would go direct from the component (cable box, satellite box, DVD playet, etc.) to your receiver. Another possible issue, if you are getting the signal from a DVI output and using a conversion cable to go to the HDMI input on your TV, you will need to use analog audio cables because the original DVI output has no audio signal. Finally, I would go through the "trouble shooting" steps contained in your receiver manual (e.g., have you selected the proper input for your receiver).


Thanks for the reply rlb. The more I read about SSE, I don;t think that is what I am seeing. I might be seeing the Matte screen, just not sure. I lowered my Brightness and that really didn't effect it, so that is why I am thinking its not SSE.

As far as my sound I connected my cable box with a HMDI to HMDI and I do have it on the right input and still no sound. I have never tried to get a tv to send out sound before to my reciever. I checked to make sure the optical and RCA sound out on the tv where connected right, so I'm dumbfounded. Only thing I can think of is there is something wrong with my TV's opitical sound out or something wrong with my optical sound in on my Reciever. Oh well, at least the TV's Speakers sound good

Thanks again for the advice!!!!
Shermadog is offline  
post #117 of 1646 Old 10-19-2005, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermadog View Post

As far as my sound I connected my cable box with a HMDI to HMDI and I do have it on the right input and still no sound.

If you have the 8300 box (TWC - Scientific Atlanta), you have to activate the audio on the HDMI output. However, after you do, no digital audio is output from the optical out. Also, from your set to the receiver, if the audio is analog, it will not be sent through optical.

Good luck.
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #118 of 1646 Old 10-19-2005, 05:42 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermadog View Post

As far as my sound I connected my cable box with a HMDI to HMDI and I do have it on the right input and still no sound. I have never tried to get a tv to send out sound before to my reciever. I checked to make sure the optical and RCA sound out on the tv where connected right, so I'm dumbfounded. Only thing I can think of is there is something wrong with my TV's opitical sound out or something wrong with my optical sound in on my Reciever. Oh well, at least the TV's Speakers sound good

Thanks again for the advice!!!!

If I understand correctly, you are going HDMI from your cable box to the TV and then taking the audio from the TV and sending it via optical and/or RCA analog to your receiver. You have said that the optical isn't working. How about the analog?

By the way, using your configuration will not allow any dolby digital (DD) for cable programming. HDMI into the TV is limited to two channel/stereo. Therefore that is all you have to send back to the receiver. In this case, optical digital provides little advantage over the analog cables (although optical could carry DD for direct antenna/cable coaxial input into the TV).

Is there a reason you aren't sending everything optical from the cable box direct to the receiver? This retains any available DD and probably eliminates your current problems.
rlb is online now  
post #119 of 1646 Old 10-19-2005, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
drhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post

If you have the 8300 box (TWC - Scientific Atlanta), you have to activate the audio on the HDMI output. However, after you do, no digital audio is output from the optical out. Also, from your set to the receiver, if the audio is analog, it will not be sent through optical.

Good luck.


I have a 8000HD and it has no problem passing analog audio over the optical plug. Is this no longer fixed in the 8300, which I should be getting soon.
drhill is offline  
post #120 of 1646 Old 10-19-2005, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post

I have a 8000HD and it has no problem passing analog audio over the optical plug. Is this no longer fixed in the 8300, which I should be getting soon.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsoftball7 View Post

Also, from your set to the receiver, if the audio is analog, it will not be sent through optical.

My comment above refers to the TV optical to receiver.
CCsoftball7 is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off