AVS Forum banner

Owners Tweaks & Settings Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1

356K views 2K replies 358 participants last post by  vegasmach1 
#1 ·
I'm a proud owner of a 60" SXRD and would like to start a new thread to discuss settings, and tweaks. Please don't post questions that are off topic. There are two other threads to discuuss other issues and to comapre different sets, etc. I would like this thread to be mainly for owners to discuss how to get the most out of our new sets.

Thanks you.

#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chump /forum/post/0

Is anyone else having issues with the picturing becoming really blocky (macroblocking?) when the cramera moves really fast? I was watching some football today, and everytime there was a deep pass or a kick off, the picture became really distorted. Maybe it's a setting?

Using Noise Reduction with an HD feed will also cause that. At least in my experience.

But I'd have to agree that it was probably the feed instead of your TV. The ND/Southern Cal game yesterday was terrible that way....

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRATOS /forum/post/0

Also one other thing, last night I watched Sin City and noticed a few things.

1. In the opening scene with Josh Harrnet towards the end of that scene the screen goes to a black and white silloet (sp) and in the bottom left corner there was blue shaddow. I perviously had noticed this on my Mitwt46809 and chaulk that up to convergency being slightly off, has anyone else noticed this on their sets?

2. I noticed that on many scenes that there was a slight green tint to the black and white picture, how would I go about removing that tint or is that the way the movie was made.

Finally both of the above nit picks are just that, nit picks overall I can't be happier.

I'm getting the SAME thing (blue shadow where the blacks should be in the bottom right and upper left corners of the screen). What is wrong with it? This can't be normal. I have the 60" SXRD. Any ideas?

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman /forum/post/0

We have an owner's thread (that has been neglected by Bombthroat...faq???)

Just because BT got the first set and the AVS mob told him he had to start an owners thread doesn't obligate him to maintain that thread or organize tweaks/FAQs. If you are desiring organization, it can be done, you just have to willing to manage it. Don't expect someone else to. I got tired of this forum long ago because people thought I was their tech support (see the Mits and Hitachi CRT threads...you don't even want to see my PM inbox). This is not tech support, this is a forum where everyone contributes. Its not supposed to be a place for users to leach knowledge from calibrators (unless someone wants to start paying major contributors
).

[/rant]

#83 ·
Well. I've been reading a few reviews that the PQ is a little soft. I thought mine was too. So I played with all the settings and ended up with a super sharp looking picture. I'll post my settings tomorrow when I'm awake. I did notice that when I was changing inputs on my set that there was a little uneven color on the screens with no input. I guess this is normal since HD looks stunning and SD looks very good.

#84 ·
I ran Video Essentials on my 60" yesterday, and overall it did well. I put up the 1.78 convergence grid and the geometry is right on. However, I noticed that the convergence was slightly off on the right side of the screen. The left and center of the screen were fine, it was only the last 3 grids or so. I could see green and red to either side of the white lines from 12-18" away. It was not noticeable from more than 3-4' away. I also noticed on a the video black test that the lower right hand corner of the screen (4 inches square approx) is ever-so-slightly brighter than the rest of the screen. These are the only two issues I encountered. For the most part Pro mode in Warm color mode is pretty close to on target. The sharpness setting was too high, I think I lowered mine to around 15.

Anyone else notice any uniformity or convergence issues? These were very subtle (perhaps to the point of being anal), but I wonder if anyone else has similar observations.

edit- I see that dr jason noticed a similar issue. It sounds like our issues are almost identical with the convergence. I think I will take my disk to a store and see if this is a common problem, or perhaps a manufacturing defect. I'm still curious about the variance in black uniformity.

#85 ·
I set up my DVD player last night (Toshiba 4800) using Avia. After much back and forth I have decided that the 480i PQ looks better on this set than when I have the player set to progessive. This is interesting to me as I remember when I first bought this DVD player and mated with an older Hitachi HD RPTV, the progessive mode was clearly the better PQ. Must have something to do with how the SXRD de-interlaces the picture. I now want to purchase the Oppo DVD player as from reading in this forum the 1080i seems to be the best choice for this display.

I don't have the settings written down but from memory.....the brightness was set to like 13. The picture setting close to max...I think 60 or 61. This was difficult to set becasue using the Avia patterns I could not find blooming or white crush oon the pattern even when tunred up to max......anybody casre to elaborate on this? Should this be set much lower than where I have it?

Color and Hue were right on target straight out of the box. I turned sharpness down to around 17. Iris on 2. Advanced iris off. Color temp set to normal.

PQ is very good on 480i, however I feel there is still room for improvement. Even on normal color temp there seems to be a slight red push, although I olny see a 5% push on the Avia pattern. Anybody know how to fix this?

I would like to get the DVD PQ closer to the HBO HD feed that I see for movies like i Robot. These seem to be more 'crisp' than my current DVD PQ. I will start buy upscaling 1080i with the Oppo player and go from there. Could other SXRD owners share their settings and any tips/tricks to getting the DVD PQ more 'crisp' like the HBO HD feed??

#86 ·
I ordered the SXRD, and its on its way.

I would also like some setting and tweak tips from more owners.

I have an upscaling DVD player, as well as a regular standard def. Tivo and a separate HD receiver.

Would I set the DVD player to output 480i, and let the TV upscale it to 1080? Would I do the same for the standard def. Tivo to acheive the best PQ results?

Also, I noticed, from an in store display, that when flipping through the HD channels, some pictures filled up the whole screen, while others had large grey bars on the sides....how do you fix this in the SXRD settings, so that all the channels fit the screen, eliminating the grey sidebars?

Thanks for the tips.

#87 ·
i have the same "issue" with convergence....its only on the right sde , center is perfect and left side is almost perfect, the cyand and magenta are just a tad more noticible on the right on either side of the grid lines....i just refused to drive myself insane with this kinda stuff, the picture is still STUNNING 10 feet back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley /forum/post/0

I ran Video Essentials on my 60" yesterday, and overall it did well. I put up the 1.78 convergence grid and the geometry is right on. However, I noticed that the convergence was slightly off on the right side of the screen. The left and center of the screen were fine, it was only the last 3 grids or so.

Anyone else notice any uniformity or convergence issues? These were very subtle (perhaps to the point of being anal), but I wonder if anyone else has similar observations.

#88 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley /forum/post/0

I ran Video Essentials on my 60" yesterday, and overall it did well. I put up the 1.78 convergence grid and the geometry is right on. However, I noticed that the convergence was slightly off on the right side of the screen. The left and center of the screen were fine, it was only the last 3 grids or so. I could see green and red to either side of the white lines from 12-18" away. It ....

The more people look for it on their new sets, the more comfortable I am having it. It is there on the 60" at Hi-Fi Buys and it was worse. And re-looking at mine (50"), it really isn't that bad. I thought changing the iris would help it (like closing the aperture in cameras) but not much. Actually reducing sharpness to Min helps a tad, and more so with that ghosting/ringing around thin dark lines, like in the overscan patterns.

I hate that advance iris setting. Although it helps with contrast, I see the TV make adjustments during my viewing. You can especially see it watching I Robot when Will is in the bad guys office, alternating from bright to dark areas. You see the TV adjust itself. That bothers me. I now turn it off when watching DVD's.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsab /forum/post/0

I ordered the SXRD, and its on its way.

I would also like some setting and tweak tips from more owners.

I have an upscaling DVD player, as well as a regular standard def. Tivo and a separate HD receiver.

Would I set the DVD player to output 480i, and let the TV upscale it to 1080? Would I do the same for the standard def. Tivo to acheive the best PQ results?

Also, I noticed, from an in store display, that when flipping through the HD channels, some pictures filled up the whole screen, while others had large grey bars on the sides....how do you fix this in the SXRD settings, so that all the channels fit the screen, eliminating the grey sidebars?

Thanks for the tips.

Doing a quick test with my few year old panasonic progressive scan player (rated high at the time) sending 480p over component seemed better then 480i. Less noise. You'll have to try this stuff for yourself really though.

Those grey side bars where either from the station or the cable box. There are stretch modes, but why would you use them. As big as this tv is it still produces a large 4x3 screen and there is no burn in.

#90 ·
Need Help!- Sony KDSR-50XBR1 and RCA DTC100

I have a problem. There is a vga output on my RCA directv receiver, but when I plugged it into the VGA input on the SXRD, the picture was very small (literally 16x9 inches) and centered in the middle of the screen. Is this input for PCs only or can I make this work. Currently I have an adaptor that converts the VGA into component, but the picture is still not filling the screen. It has about 4 inches on either side. I have tried using the overscan option +2 to fix the problem, but i still have a bout 1/4" of a black bar on the right side. Any suggestions?

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d /forum/post/0

I have a problem. There is a vga output on my RCA directv receiver, but when I plugged it into the VGA input on the SXRD, the picture was very small (literally 16x9 inches) and centered in the middle of the screen. Is this input for PCs only or can I make this work. Currently I have an adaptor that converts the VGA into component, but the picture is still not filling the screen. It has about 4 inches on either side. I have tried using the overscan option +2 to fix the problem, but i still have a bout 1/4" of a black bar on the right side. Any suggestions?

I too see the same thing using the PC input. When using HDMI I can get it to fill the screen, but when I use fullscreen mode on the PC things get messed up. My video card is an ATI Radeon x850 with the latest Catalyst drivers and control panel installed.

Anyone else having this issue and any thoughts and/or resolution? If so, please post.

-Arv

#93 ·
OK guys I finally got my TV in Today and so far I love it. I have been reading the forums about this tv for a couple months now. This is my first big screen tv, my last TV was a 36" CRT. I have a couple questions though I hope some of you might be able to help me with.

1. I'm trying to set up my tv to send the digital and analog sound out to my receiver, so I can play all the sound on my surround sound system. I connected them using the optical Digital out on my tv and even the RCA R and L for the analog and for some reason I'm still not getting any sound out of my surround sound speakers. I do have the speakers turned off on the tv like the manual says, just not sure if I am missing something?!?!?!

2. THIS IS A WARNING: I am quite a noob and I don;t want to scare any one. I would first like to say I love this tv the picture is the best I have ever seen. What I describe as happening might be something all together different, so don't get scared. Through this forum I have heard about this SSE deal about how you can see "sparkles" when the screen is white. I don;t have any experience with this before, but I have noticed that on my screen I can see what I think is SSE. The bad thing is its not only on white backgrounds its on any color (besides a really dark color) where is takes up a decent amount of the screen. What it looks like to me is part of the screen. This may be pixilation, but it is very noticable at 8 feet. Its kind of annoying. The only thing that makes me feel like this isn;t really SSE is its worse on SD broadcasts. My HD broadcasts are much better and don't show this as much. Is there any settings I could do that would lessen this? Its kind of distracting from the great picture I am getting from this great TV.

The easiest way to describe what I am seeing is it kinda looks like I have dust on my screen that I am watching the tv though...

Thanks for any help....

#95 ·
I found this in the Qualia thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5999155

This is EXACTLY the behavior I'm seeing when I put up a convergence grid, except my issue is only on the left and right side of the lines, and only in the right side of the screen. His pics are such a good representation that I don't need to post any! From some of the descriptions of this behavior there, it seems like I may actually be in pretty good shape. Once again, it's not noticeable on normal viewing.

Edit - Mine is also green to the right and red to the left.

#96 ·
I've been having some gripes with SSE on my set, and want to minimize it as much as possible, while keeping an overall bright image quality.

Here's my settings which I also posted in the owners thread:

Can anyone give me some reccomendationst to improve my current settings, reduce SSE, and still retain a bright overall image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Anderson /forum/post/0

I put my Brightness at 15 (very watchable)

and put the contrast range, to "High" (advanced iris)

and the SSE seems to be noticibly improved. Albeit just a bit darker. But there is still substantial SSE on large bright/white moving images.

my settings, which have now been futzed around so much and are by no means perfect by DVE standards. But looks good to my eyes are:

For a HD Motorola DVR connected to the TV via DVI-HDMI

PRO option:

Iris - 2 for reduced SSE Max for a brighter image (Seems to brighten the overall picture which I like but SSE is Very noticable)

Picture 58

Brightness 15

Color 31

Hue 0

Sharpness 55

Color Temp Warm

Noise Reduction Low

Direct Mode Off

Advanced:

DRC Cinemotion

Drc Pallet Custom 3 (Reality 1, Clarity 1)

Bn smoother off

Advanced Iris High

Color Corrector Off

DTE Low

clear white off

detain enhancer off

black corrector medium

gamma corrector low

Any reccomendations based on this? anyone want to give my settings a try and refine them by "eye" to reduce SSE and enhance PQ. While preferably retaining a suitibly bright image?

#98 ·
I set up a friend's 50 inch Sony XBR1 on Sunday and noticed the same issues on AVIA involving convergence as others. It was particularly noiticeable on the upper right corner of the 16x9 screen. The red convergence was off. I assume there is not much anyone can do about this. However, has any one got the access codes to access the service menu for these units? Maybe there is something in the service menu that may allow for the convergence to be adjusted.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartok /forum/post/0

I set up a friend's 50 inch Sony XBR1 on Sunday and noticed the same issues on AVIA involving convergence as others. It was particularly noiticeable on the upper right corner of the 16x9 screen. The red convergence was off. I assume there is not much anyone can do about this. However, has any one got the access codes to access the service menu for these units? Maybe there is something in the service menu that may allow for the convergence to be adjusted.

You can't adjust convergence on these sets. Unlike the three CRT's on a RPTV (which must be converged, i.e., they move), the SXRD technology has the three color panels, or whatever they are called, joined or fixed as part of the production process.

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermadog /forum/post/0

OK guys I finally got my TV in Today and so far I love it. I have been reading the forums about this tv for a couple months now. This is my first big screen tv, my last TV was a 36" CRT. I have a couple questions though I hope some of you might be able to help me with.

1. I'm trying to set up my tv to send the digital and analog sound out to my receiver, so I can play all the sound on my surround sound system. I connected them using the optical Digital out on my tv and even the RCA R and L for the analog and for some reason I'm still not getting any sound out of my surround sound speakers. I do have the speakers turned off on the tv like the manual says, just not sure if I am missing something?!?!?!

2. THIS IS A WARNING: I am quite a noob and I don;t want to scare any one. I would first like to say I love this tv the picture is the best I have ever seen. What I describe as happening might be something all together different, so don't get scared. Through this forum I have heard about this SSE deal about how you can see "sparkles" when the screen is white. I don;t have any experience with this before, but I have noticed that on my screen I can see what I think is SSE. The bad thing is its not only on white backgrounds its on any color (besides a really dark color) where is takes up a decent amount of the screen. What it looks like to me is part of the screen. This may be pixilation, but it is very noticable at 8 feet. Its kind of annoying. The only thing that makes me feel like this isn;t really SSE is its worse on SD broadcasts. My HD broadcasts are much better and don't show this as much. Is there any settings I could do that would lessen this? Its kind of distracting from the great picture I am getting from this great TV.

The easiest way to describe what I am seeing is it kinda looks like I have dust on my screen that I am watching the tv though...

Thanks for any help....

I've never noticed SSE on my set (despite reading the descriptions, I'm probably too dumb to know what I'm seeing) so I can't help with that issue.

Regarding the sound. I presume you're trying to get sound for programming that entered via either the cable or antenna coaxial input. Otherwise, I would go direct from the component (cable box, satellite box, DVD playet, etc.) to your receiver. Another possible issue, if you are getting the signal from a DVI output and using a conversion cable to go to the HDMI input on your TV, you will need to use analog audio cables because the original DVI output has no audio signal. Finally, I would go through the "trouble shooting" steps contained in your receiver manual (e.g., have you selected the proper input for your receiver).

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d /forum/post/0

Hate to sound sarcastic, but my suggestion is to use the component output from the RCA to the Sony. Both are analog; so I don't see any potential benefit from the VGA, and there are obvious downsides (you are seeing one of them).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.