Owners Tweaks & Settings Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1646 Old 07-19-2007, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thats Awesome Gil.

My QualX Tech just left my house a couple hours ago. My OB replacement went smoothly and the PQ looks fantastic. I asked the Tech if he knew what was the cause of original OB causing the Pee Stains.. He told me that as far as he knew, the Original OB are very sensitive to Temps and that Sony completely redesigned the new OB thus eliminating the discoloration.

I asked about cleaning the dust out when he opened the back and he said, sure no problem but when he got it open he told me I really didn't have any in there.. I guess I'm doing good with how clean I keep the set!. I dust it regularly and have good Air filters in the house to minimize airborne dust particles.

Anyhow, Just wanted to mention my success with my OB Replacement!. Hope others have the same success!

-Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post

So today QualX came back with the proper OB for my set and serial number.

Technician (same guy all three times - really nice, helpful, knowledgeable, and calls when he says he will, shows up when he says he will) took apart and replaced the OB for the third time (he says he does 10 of these replacements a week, so he's got it down now).

We powered it up, everything is working, so far so good.

He did tell me that each time I power up the SXRD, it will go through a self-test and correction procedure (which explains why the boot up time is not instantaneous) and will tweak the PQ as the OB burns-in.

I re-entered the last ISF settings I had, PQ look great. Will have it calibrated again in two weeks or so.

So Kudos to QualX Serve for their professionality and responsiveness!

I will keep a keen eye pealed for any return of "the green blob" and/or "yellow stain"

-gil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1646 Old 07-19-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

What ISF settings do you have? I was under the impression that the optical blocks are all different and as such the picture settings will be drastically different across the board from display to display...but if yours still looked good, maybe the optical blocks are now standardized?

Could you post them? Thanks!

The QualX tech told me that the new OB would be "factory standard", like a new set out of the box, and that my previous ISF settings would be off. He suggested I wait 2 weeks for the new OB to "settle in", and then have the ISF guy come out and re-calibrate.

I used the old ISF settings as a starting point, and they looked great. I'll wait the two weeks, and have the ISF tech come out again 'cause I also want to calibrate the DVD input on HDMI (I upgraded my DVD player, and went from Component to HDMI), so I'll have him do both.

-gil

Okay, here we go:

Settings as follows (those not listed are at Sony defaults for Video 7, HDMI in):

Pro mode, temperature Neutral, power saving off.

Picture 48
Brightness 27
Color 27
Hue R1
Sharpness 28

White Balance (I have only listed the ones that changed):

B-Gain -17
R-Bias +2
B-Bias +1

note that these adjustments and their proximity to our target value of
D6500 are dependent on the user menu's temperature setting - changing the
setting would impact the accuracy.

The Blue Gain was the most drastic change, and made an immediate noticeable difference in PQ.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. - Frank Zappa
post #1533 of 1646 Old 07-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Liked: 13
I'm nor sure if i am experiencing what others have, but here goes:

I am seeing image retention when channels are switched - if watching a pillarbox channel - when I switch to a widescreen channel, the line down the right side of the pillarbox appears as a yellow line (more visibile with white or light blue background).

If watching an XM channel, the box at the bottom which indicates artist and song with remain when switching channels - again with a faint yellow background - network bugs at lower right hand side, etc.

Usually goes away after TV is turned off for a period of time.

I thought the LCOS should not show ghosting, or similar problems?

I have owned this tv for 2 years with no problems until now.
post #1534 of 1646 Old 07-30-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachosgrande View Post

I have owned this tv for 2 years with no problems until now.

The television hasn't be out for two years yet. They came out in the fall of September 2005.

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #1535 of 1646 Old 07-30-2007, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the info...do you have any answers to my questions?
post #1536 of 1646 Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I'm nor sure if i am experiencing what others have, but here goes:

I am seeing image retention when channels are switched - if watching a pillarbox channel - when I switch to a widescreen channel, the line down the right side of the pillarbox appears as a yellow line (more visibile with white or light blue background).

That can be one symptom of an OB problem. Do you have any "blobs" of green or yellow after warmup?

Be seeing you!
post #1537 of 1646 Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 PM

If there is anyone interested in a new, sealed in the box, XBR1 lamp, I have one that I bought for mine as a spare. Due to OB issues, I was upgraded to the XBR2 and now have a lamp I can't use. PM me for a price. Thanks
post #1538 of 1646 Old 07-30-2007, 02:32 PM

No blobs...at all. Picture is otherwise stunning. This just appeared about a week or two ago.

It is almost like a plasma burn in issue (Except LCOS does not have burn in, supposedly).
post #1539 of 1646 Old 07-31-2007, 08:06 AM

This is the exact same problem I have been having with mine. I've been fighting my extended warranty (Sony wouldn't fix it because I bought the extended warranty) for almost 8 months. They finally gave up on trying to find a fix (because they're idiots? I don't know) and are cutting me a check for $1500.

I'd rather just have Sony replace my OB...

Keith
post #1540 of 1646 Old 08-15-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I had my OB replaced yesterday. I didn't realize how bad the original OB had gotten. After turning the set post replacement, I couldn't get over how "blue" my set looks. It is nice to have gray look gray again, instead of green. I called Sony about a week ago and it is fixed now. All I can say is, the guys who came to replace it had obviously done several, it took them less than an hour to do the entire job. If you've been putting off the inevitable, I highly recommend a service call.
post #1541 of 1646 Old 08-16-2007, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post

Well, I had my OB replaced yesterday. I didn't realize how bad the original OB had gotten. After turning the set post replacement, I couldn't get over how "blue" my set looks. It is nice to have gray look gray again, instead of green. I called Sony about a week ago and it is fixed now. All I can say is, the guys who came to replace it had obviously done several, it took them less than an hour to do the entire job. If you've been putting off the inevitable, I highly recommend a service call.

How bad was the lack of blue? I see tinges of yellow on the lower right side of the grey vertical bars, but it's not a terrible problem and I'm concerned that they will not think it's bad enough.

CB
post #1542 of 1646 Old 08-16-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt View Post

How bad was the lack of blue? I see tinges of yellow on the lower right side of the grey vertical bars, but it's not a terrible problem and I'm concerned that they will not think it's bad enough.

CB

Well, let's just say this...the "gray" screen was very green. My son said he thought it was supposed to be green. The gray menu looked green. It looks gray to me now, maybe slightly blue. But the HD test patterns look quite gray to me and the blacks look deep black, not blue at all.
post #1543 of 1646 Old 08-16-2007, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post

Well, let's just say this...the "gray" screen was very green. My son said he thought it was supposed to be green. The gray menu looked green. It looks gray to me now, maybe slightly blue. But the HD test patterns look quite gray to me and the blacks look deep black, not blue at all.

What are the HD test patterns? I'd like to be able to show the tech something more than the yellowish tinge. CB
post #1544 of 1646 Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abredt View Post

What are the HD test patterns? I'd like to be able to show the tech something more than the yellowish tinge. CB

I have them recorded from HDNET and InHD (when it still existed).
post #1545 of 1646 Old 08-19-2007, 11:45 AM

HDNet broadcasts them at 6:30am on saturday.

I have a question regarding finding an ISF calibrator. I have usually watched my tv in "torch mode" and have been pretty happy with it. However, I get the feeling I'm missing out on an even better picture. I plan on using the HDNet broadcast this weekend to help calibrate it myself a bit.

What should I look for in finding an ISF calibrator to get my tv "in spec" so to speak? I live in New Bern, NC if that helps at all.
post #1546 of 1646 Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD AV View Post

If there is anyone interested in a new, sealed in the box, XBR1 lamp, I have one that I bought for mine as a spare. Due to OB issues, I was upgraded to the XBR2 and now have a lamp I can't use. PM me for a price. Thanks

Man...this is what I want.
How did you get them to upgrade the unit for unit for you PLEASE??????
post #1547 of 1646 Old 09-16-2007, 08:50 AM

I got my OB replaced over a month ago and imediately saw a pink/fuscia tint in the bottom, it has dissapted a bit since then but it is still there....you can see it on the white ice while playing hockey on the xbox...you think I should call them again? whats your advice? is it possible to upgrade to a new tv from Sony?
post #1548 of 1646 Old 09-16-2007, 03:33 PM

I have tried to set the settings on pro mode with the ones indicated on this site, everything in the background looks yellow on my high def programs most sports programs. Are these settings mainly for dvds ? Here are my settings for pro,

Iris- 2
picture-58
bright-17
color-26
hue-0
sharp-34
color tem-warm
nosie-0ff
dir mose-off
game mode-off
drc mode-cinemotion
drc pallette custom 3
bn smooth-off
ad iris-low
color correct-off
dte-low
clear white off
detail ehn-low
black corr-off
gamma-low
white balance-intial set
Can anyone help?
post #1549 of 1646 Old 09-17-2007, 06:26 PM

I did not know where to post this, it may be in the wrong place, forgive me. I had the bad green blob problem and the tech just replaced the OB. TV looks almost as good as it did new, seems just a tinge blue? I'm not complaining yet. My reason for the post is this, do I need to have my TV re-calibrated? About a month after original purchase I had it calibrated and I think I may have to have it done again????

Any advise is appreciated.
Thank you
Steve
post #1550 of 1646 Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALGOLFS View Post

I did not know where to post this, it may be in the wrong place, forgive me. I had the bad green blob problem and the tech just replaced the OB. TV looks almost as good as it did new, seems just a tinge blue? I'm not complaining yet. My reason for the post is this, do I need to have my TV re-calibrated? About a month after original purchase I had it calibrated and I think I may have to have it done again????

Any advise is appreciated.
Thank you
Steve

Yes, the original calibration is no longer valid. It is OB specific.

Major risk at this point is the fact that you may pay for another calibration and then need another OB in a few months.

Suggest you try and adjust the "gray scale" yourself. Use the white balance settings. Go to the memory stick screen or use a 60 IRE screen from Avia or DVE. If you see color tints in the light grays/white, remove with the gain controls. If possible, leave the red alone and remove blue with the blue gain. If you then see some green, remove it with the green gain. If you start to see some red, increase the green gain (it will remove red).

Darker shades can be done the same way with the bias controls.

Bottom line: You can do it by eye and "get close". Not as good as a professional ISF; but you don't lose anything if this OB goes bad.
post #1551 of 1646 Old 09-19-2007, 01:16 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pae6 View Post

I have tried to set the settings on pro mode with the ones indicated on this site, everything in the background looks yellow on my high def programs most sports programs. Are these settings mainly for dvds ? Here are my settings for pro,

Iris- 2
picture-58
bright-17
color-26
hue-0
sharp-34
color tem-warm
nosie-0ff
dir mose-off
game mode-off
drc mode-cinemotion
drc pallette custom 3
bn smooth-off
ad iris-low
color correct-off
dte-low
clear white off
detail ehn-low
black corr-off
gamma-low
white balance-intial set
Can anyone help?

Wow. Can't say for sure those settings are wrong because all sets are different. But brightness and color are sure "out of the norm".

I'm guessing that the brightness calibration is for a DVD player set at a black level of "7.5 IRE". Your STB will output at "0" IRE. Set the brightness for your STB input at around "31". Also set color at around "31". I'll bet you see a significant improvement.

Look at the memory card screen. If you see color tints in your gray, try and calibrate with the white balance controls.
post #1552 of 1646 Old 09-19-2007, 01:27 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No blobs...at all. Picture is otherwise stunning. This just appeared about a week or two ago.

It is almost like a plasma burn in issue (Except LCOS does not have burn in, supposedly).

From what I've read in this thread for several years, you have an OB problem. I would call for service.
post #1553 of 1646 Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

i just got my OB replaced yesterday by QualServ...its MUCH better than it was...i didnt even realize how god awful my previous OB replacement was until i turned the set on with the new one in it...on the old OB's version of black was a dark grey and they colors were just a mess...this new one has excellent contrast and now has that "pop" that it used to have over a year ago when the original OB was in it...the firsst OB replacement was done by best buy...dont even get me started on their so called "techs"

HOWEVER! there is still a very very very faint green haze over on the left side and a very very very faint pinkish tint in the lower right corner...and the funny thing is it gets worse until the tv has been on for about 5 hours then its a perfect uniform grey on the mem stick screen...i ran the tv through all the paces on Avia and got it calibrated to my liking for the most part...i cant seem to get red just right though...and heres a strange thing, well at least i think its strange...on the white balance settings i have R-gain turned all the way to -20...thats the only way i can get the red out...is this normal? i wouldnt think it is because a "factory sealed" and new OB i wouldnt imagine having red push that bad.

do you guys think it would be wise to let the OB "settle in" for a few days and see what happens before i call QualServ again? i would assume the answer is yes but my curiosity always gets the better of me!
post #1554 of 1646 Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pae6 View Post

Iris- 2
picture-58
bright-17
color-26
hue-0
sharp-34
color tem-warm
nosie-0ff
dir mose-off
game mode-off
drc mode-cinemotion
drc pallette custom 3
bn smooth-off
ad iris-low
color correct-off
dte-low
clear white off
detail ehn-low
black corr-off
gamma-low
white balance-intial set
Can anyone help?

its tough to say exactly...maybe try to be a little more specific...but by what you are saying i would reccomend changing your color temp setting to either neutral or cool setting...to my eyes the warm setting makes everything, especially whites, look way to yellow...give that a try and i would also consider bumping your brightness up a little bit...i dont know what everyone else has theirs at but mines at 27 which its perrrrrfect!!!!
post #1555 of 1646 Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 PM

Thanks for that tip on the calibration stuff, I appreciate it very much.
post #1556 of 1646 Old 09-21-2007, 11:26 AM

After having my OB replaced by Sears TECH under Sony extended warranty, Sears called and asked if I wanted to buy an extended warranty? Parts and labor on anything other than abuse for around $200/year. What say you guys? OB out again in say a year or so might be worth $400?
post #1557 of 1646 Old 09-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALGOLFS View Post

After having my OB replaced by Sears TECH under Sony extended warranty, Sears called and asked if I wanted to buy an extended warranty? Parts and labor on anything other than abuse for around $200/year. What say you guys? OB out again in say a year or so might be worth $400?

If you OB goes out again before October 31, 2008 it is still covered by Sony. So if you want to buy an extended warrenty I wouldn't do it before then.

(Just had the OB replaced this morning on my R60XBR1)

George C.

OB replaced on 9-27-2007
post #1558 of 1646 Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Could someone tell me if this is what the lamp hours page looks like , because my page said my lamp only has one hour on it and I had the tv since april '06

Ok, great that worked. But all it said was
Panel nvm ok
20 timer
0 Lmp 1
diff 1
and I have watched the tv for more than an hour, there was a large gap after Lmp and the the number one as I wrote above......
post #1559 of 1646 Old 09-29-2007, 06:25 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael07470 View Post

Could someone tell me if this is what the lamp hours page looks like , because my page said my lamp only has one hour on it and I had the tv since april '06

Ok, great that worked. But all it said was
Panel nvm ok
20 timer
0 Lmp 1
diff 1
and I have watched the tv for more than an hour, there was a large gap after Lmp and the the number one as I wrote above......

Believe you have another step to go (hitting "5" five times).

Below provides detailed directions:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=939
post #1560 of 1646 Old 09-29-2007, 08:40 AM

If I see this , am I not on the right screen?

Panel nvm ok
20 timer
0 Lmp 1 <<<<
diff 1
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page