Owners Tweaks & Settings Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 1646 Old 09-29-2007, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I see this , am I not on the right screen?

Panel nvm ok
20 timer
0 Lmp 1 <<<<
diff 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1646 Old 09-29-2007, 08:40 AM

If I see this , am I not on the right screen?

Panel nvm ok
20 timer
0 Lmp 1 <<<<
diff 1
post #1563 of 1646 Old 09-29-2007, 08:56 AM

Wow, now it says this, I assume it never started recording my lamp usage until I first attempted to check it. I assume I have at least 500-800 hours on it. This is the original lamp.

Panel nvm ok
20 timer
0 Lmp 2
diff 1
post #1564 of 1646 Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Well after several attempts I noticed that my light meter resets itself everyday. After checking my lamp usage after 2 hours of watching It says 0lamp2. Then the next day it goes back to 0lamp1. Must be a fluke.
post #1565 of 1646 Old 10-07-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyD4vey View Post

i just got my OB replaced yesterday by QualServ...its MUCH better than it was...i didnt even realize how god awful my previous OB replacement was until i turned the set on with the new one in it...on the old OB's version of black was a dark grey and they colors were just a mess...this new one has excellent contrast and now has that "pop" that it used to have over a year ago when the original OB was in it...the firsst OB replacement was done by best buy...dont even get me started on their so called "techs"

HOWEVER! there is still a very very very faint green haze over on the left side and a very very very faint pinkish tint in the lower right corner...and the funny thing is it gets worse until the tv has been on for about 5 hours then its a perfect uniform grey on the mem stick screen...i ran the tv through all the paces on Avia and got it calibrated to my liking for the most part...i cant seem to get red just right though...and heres a strange thing, well at least i think its strange...on the white balance settings i have R-gain turned all the way to -20...thats the only way i can get the red out...is this normal? i wouldnt think it is because a "factory sealed" and new OB i wouldnt imagine having red push that bad.

do you guys think it would be wise to let the OB "settle in" for a few days and see what happens before i call QualServ again? i would assume the answer is yes but my curiosity always gets the better of me!

I am having a similar problem with mine - I had the OB replaced, but the new one is much worse than the first one. Before I only had the green cloud in the lower right corner. Now I have a larger purple doughnut in the middle of the screen and and green in the corners. The tech, wanting to get out as soon as possible, said it would go away after it operated for a few hours, which of course it hasn't. If anything, it has gotten worse over the last week. I've also noticed that for some modes the picture is off center (too low - cut off on the bottom) and the black levels are way off.

My hope is that it is as simple as having the wrong OB installed, but my confidence in the techs is getting pretty low. Many others here seem to have been very happy with their SXRDs after the fix, so it must be possible. BB has been terrrible to deal with through all of this, making appointments - not showing up, etc, and I am getting tired of taking afternoons off to meet them. This has been dragging on since August.

Is anyone else having similar experiences? Find any solutions for dealing with BB? I have a record of all contacts, and will take it to the local store manager if necessary, but all I really want is to have this once great TV working again.
post #1566 of 1646 Old 10-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Just had my OB replaced today. I asked the tech if there was any way to adjust for the slight rotation of the picture (the original had been slightly off too) he looked at the Mac menu bar at the top, grabbed the top front corners, and wiggled it a bit until the picture lined up. Apparently that's the official procedure. Also while he was working I asked how many OB replacements he'd done: "Oh, five or six hundred." Wow. He had a helper, and the two of them were in and out in under an hour without needing to consult any service manuals, so I'm guessing that number was honest.

Other than modifying my custom resolutions (and a bit more wiggling of the case) to line up the Mac's desktop with the new OB I haven't done anything with it.

Copyright Fedward. All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.
post #1567 of 1646 Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 AM

I'm new to the site but have a problem w/ my xrd-1. I purchased it from Tweeter as a floor model w/ a 1 year warranty. I've had it now 2 months and evrytime I turn it on the Power light blinks yellow anywhere from 10 seconds to sometimes 3-4 minutes before the picture comes on. I have a directv hd box. Also I run an hdmi cable to input 6 and ocasionally, the screen will go out for a moment and than come back in w/ the input6 and the screen mode(ie:wide mode) on the screen. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thanks for any help you can give.
post #1568 of 1646 Old 10-25-2007, 06:34 PM

I went into the SM menu and found my lamp hours to be 2387. Is it time for me to replace the lamp??

Picture has been about the same, I think.
post #1569 of 1646 Old 10-31-2007, 01:39 PM

I have a Sony 60" XBR1. I tried to hook up a Toshiba HD DVD player HD-A20 to the HDMI on the Sony get no picture. I also have a Denon 3808CI A/V receiver which has a HDMI out to the Sony HDMI no picture or signal into the Sony. Is there a handshake problem with the newer machines and Sony because I have a Direct Tv Box with HDMI hook to the Sony and it works just fine. Is there a fix?
post #1570 of 1646 Old 10-31-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSZA View Post

I have a Sony 60" XBR1. I tried to hook up a Toshiba HD DVD player HD-A20 to the HDMI on the Sony get no picture. I also have a Denon 3808CI A/V receiver which has a HDMI out to the Sony HDMI no picture or signal into the Sony. Is there a handshake problem with the newer machines and Sony because I have a Direct Tv Box with HDMI hook to the Sony and it works just fine. Is there a fix?

Make sure you don't have the resolution set to 1080p on output. The XBR1 will not accept anything over 1080i.

Jeff
post #1571 of 1646 Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRhee View Post

I went into the SM menu and found my lamp hours to be 2387. Is it time for me to replace the lamp??

No. Typical lamp life on the XBR1 is 8000 hours plus/minus.

Be seeing you!
post #1572 of 1646 Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 PM

I check both the Denon and Toshiba are set at 1080i. I even set them to 480i and still notthing.
post #1573 of 1646 Old 11-05-2007, 11:50 PM

Finally managed to get my OB replaced today. I'd gone thru the green blob and had an OB replacement already, then I got the blue blocking in the dark scenes. Looks like I've got a good one for now. Still have another 2 years on my extended warranty anyway. Now I just have to pray for no green blob......although if I do get one I'm going to try to get a new TV. I'd rather have an xbr2 anyway. I don't need the card reader in the front because my PS3 has a much better one in it.
post #1574 of 1646 Old 12-02-2007, 08:17 AM

Just calledto have my OB replaced. Entire screen is green tinted and when I turn it on I have a completely green screen. To get the greenish picture I have to cycle through the inputs.... Hope it fixes the problem! I've been watching green for about 3 months now. (busy working and travelling and the picture is still decent - just green) Can't wait to have the originial picture back. Great sony is owning the problem. Now if only Honda would stand behind their cars... (recalled transmission that is now bad outside of the warranty)

Just bought a lamp off ebay (4500 hours or so) Are some people getting a free lamp too? Saw a post where someone said the tech replaced both the lamp and ob.... Wish I read that before buying the lamp.
post #1575 of 1646 Old 12-02-2007, 01:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedward View Post

Just had my OB replaced today. I asked the tech if there was any way to adjust for the slight rotation of the picture (the original had been slightly off too) he looked at the Mac menu bar at the top, grabbed the top front corners, and wiggled it a bit until the picture lined up. Apparently that's the official procedure. Also while he was working I asked how many OB replacements he'd done: "Oh, five or six hundred." Wow. He had a helper, and the two of them were in and out in under an hour without needing to consult any service manuals, so I'm guessing that number was honest.

Other than modifying my custom resolutions (and a bit more wiggling of the case) to line up the Mac's desktop with the new OB I haven't done anything with it.

Is this something that's easily done by yourself? I have the original OB (so far so good), but it's been slightly tilted ever since I got it. Can I easily rotate it to fix myself, or is it something you have to take the TV apart for?
post #1576 of 1646 Old 12-07-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrobert View Post

Is this something that's easily done by yourself? I have the original OB (so far so good), but it's been slightly tilted ever since I got it. Can I easily rotate it to fix myself, or is it something you have to take the TV apart for?

Yeah. Put one hand on each top corner (of the set, that is) and push/pull as needed. The OB seems to float a bit, so you torque, release, wait a second for it to settle, and then check your work and repeat if necessary. It took about three minutes to get it pretty straight.

Copyright Fedward. All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.
post #1577 of 1646 Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 AM

Does anyone know how to adjust overscan in the service menu?
post #1578 of 1646 Old 03-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Hey, I hate to be lazy, but there's a lot of posts in here... I thought I'd ask if someone could please link me to the generally accepted settings in this thread, if such a post exists? :P (This is assuming ideas have changed since the post on the first page, since it was made over two years ago. If not, I'll just use that one then. )

Thanks in advance for any help!
post #1579 of 1646 Old 03-17-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk85 View Post

Hey, I hate to be lazy, but there's a lot of posts in here... I thought I'd ask if someone could please link me to the generally accepted settings in this thread, if such a post exists? :P (This is assuming ideas have changed since the post on the first page, since it was made over two years ago. If not, I'll just use that one then. )

Thanks in advance for any help!

Here's one 50" owner's settings I copied (almost) a couple of years ago, but remember, every set is different and YMMV! Also, many say the preferred method is to just get a view of something you can recognize/compare to actual (like the skin on the back of your hand) and tweak the settings to give a realistic result.

"Picture Mode: Pro, Iris: 3, Picture: 58, Brightness: 31, Color 30, Hue:0, Sharpness: 25, Color Temp: Warm, Noise Reduction: Low ,Direct Mode: Off, DRC: Cinemotion, DRC: Custom 3 default settings, Advanced Iris: Low, Color Corrector: High (i change this to high myself to enhance bright colors without affecting skin tones), DTE: Low, Clear White: Off,
Detail Enhancer: Medium, Black Corrector: Low, Gamma Corrector: Low,
R-Gain: -13, G-Gain: -6, B-Gain: 0, R-Bias: 3, G-Bias: -3, B-Bias: -3"

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #1580 of 1646 Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Has anybody seen this (also posted in the owner's thread). I had my 1st OB replacement last Friday :

"I plan to, believe me. This tv had the best picture I'd ever seen (except for that yellow crap recently) and I'd never noticed color anomalies in grey, white, or black screens...

Another thing that's weird... On Jan 19th (I wrote it down in the owner's manual), I checked the lamp hours and had just a bit less than 2000-hours (yeah, we don't leave it on all the time). I mentioned that to the tech, and talked about some folks who had already gone past 5 or 6 thousand hours. He said he'd seen some with numbers bigger than it is possible to be (say, the TV was only 4000 hours old but the lamp showed 9000 hours). Anyway, I checked it yesterday (while I was adjusting the vertical position back to normal, and grousing to myself about the convergence ) and now I have >7400 hours on my lamp!!!! Has anyone else seen that?

added: I think I'll post this in the tweaks thread too..."

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #1581 of 1646 Old 03-18-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
You have just run into Sony's "time warp" circuit.

Be seeing you!
post #1582 of 1646 Old 03-19-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

You have just run into Sony's "time warp" circuit.

Cool!

post #1583 of 1646 Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Question about the advanced iris. When it's set on low, the peak white level/contrast gets much higher than when it's set to off. But I cant stand the shutter effect as the scenes change. What would be the best way to get the white level similar to what it's at in the advanced iris "low" setting, but when it's turned off? Increasing the contrast? or increasing the iris setting?
post #1584 of 1646 Old 05-12-2008, 07:49 AM

Hi,

I am a newbie and I am trying to calibrate my 50" XBR1. I am using the DVE Blu-Ray kit. Brightness and contrast worked fine, but I am having a hard time with color. I have tried many color, hue, color temperature settings, but when I use the included filters, I cannot get the green part right (I mean, when I use the filters, I can get the blue and red filters to work as expected but not the green). I saw somewhere that if the TV offers a pair of color settings instead a single "color" setting, then it would be possible to correctly adjust colors. Does anyone know if such settings are available in the service menu?
I also noticed from the tests that after my OB was replaced, I am getting almost 5% of overscan in the upper corner, and around 2.5% in the other corners. I remember that my original OB had almost 0% overscan. Anyone knows how I can correct that?
I also noticed a slight geometry problem after the OB was replaced. Is there a setting to correct that in the service menu?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #1585 of 1646 Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by opcode View Post

Hi,

I am a newbie and I am trying to calibrate my 50" XBR1. I am using the DVE Blu-Ray kit. Brightness and contrast worked fine, but I am having a hard time with color. I have tried many color, hue, color temperature settings, but when I use the included filters, I cannot get the green part right (I mean, when I use the filters, I can get the blue and red filters to work as expected but not the green). I saw somewhere that if the TV offers a pair of color settings instead a single "color" setting, then it would be possible to correctly adjust colors. Does anyone know if such settings are available in the service menu?
I also noticed from the tests that after my OB was replaced, I am getting almost 5% of overscan in the upper corner, and around 2.5% in the other corners. I remember that my original OB had almost 0% overscan. Anyone knows how I can correct that?
I also noticed a slight geometry problem after the OB was replaced. Is there a setting to correct that in the service menu?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there. This thread has gotten very slow, post here next time: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=584936

I and other posters have answered questions just like yours multiple times within the main thread. The search engine is a very useful tool.

It is next to impossible get green decoding perfect with these particular sets, as the internal green filter is intentionally limy (has an inherent yellow tinge). If you hire a professional calibrator, he will be able to get it better with some major tweaking in the service menu..but not exact.

Skipping ahead to geometry errors. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. No geometric controls (short of convergence) within the service menu...absolutely no mechanical tuning is possible either. I know, thanks Sony.

Now to image centering and overscan....yes these can be corrected within the service menu. For centering, under the "PANEL" section of the s.m. :
1 TG
4 VST_POS and 5 HST_POS

For overscan correction, it's located within the "WEM" section:
086 input_overscn.spf

The adjustment registers are just below. Be aware that they are resolution independent, and don't even bother altering 1080i or the image will become distorted. Do what you will with NTSC, 480i/p, and 720p.

Instructions to enter the service menu are posted on the front page of the main thread (follow the link I gave you).
post #1586 of 1646 Old 05-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl@cker View Post

Question about the advanced iris. When it's set on low, the peak white level/contrast gets much higher than when it's set to off. But I cant stand the shutter effect as the scenes change. What would be the best way to get the white level similar to what it's at in the advanced iris "low" setting, but when it's turned off? Increasing the contrast? or increasing the iris setting?

Increasing both contrast and the iris....but you are going to kill your black level performance. You love "torch mode" settings don't you?! Not the way to go. The adv iris at low is not sufficient enough for decent white and black level performance as it is, let alone disabling the feature entirely. For you, I suggest setting adv iris to high and then maxing the iris aperture (that will minimize the "shutter effect"). Doing so will preserve most of your grayscale while allowing you to retain a bright enough picture. Your contrast should never be set higher than 58 and brightness is normally close to optimal around 28-31 (use a calibration DVD).
post #1587 of 1646 Old 06-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

I'm going to attempt to calibrate my XBR1 today with an i1, but am curious as to what I should leave on/off on the menu when starting?

What should I have my Iris set to? What about Auto Iris? I know to leave all the other fluff (detail enhancer, etc) off, and I've been told Gamma on Low evens out the gamma on the display.

Any help or further suggestions?
post #1588 of 1646 Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 PM

Hi All. First time having to replace my lamp on my 60in. The number of hours before I reset the counter was 6345. When you say the average is around 8k. Is that with the TV in Reduced Mode or Standard? I've had mine on standard pretty much the majority of the time. Is it recommended to leave it on reduced so that I can get the max life out of this new lamp?

Thank you!
post #1589 of 1646 Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 AM

I replaced the lamp on my 50" last month - where is the hour counter? I would like to know how many I have used.

-gil

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. - Frank Zappa
post #1590 of 1646 Old 06-12-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post

I replaced the lamp on my 50" last month - where is the hour counter? I would like to know how many I have used.

-gil

Here's what I used:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...10#post9923710
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page