Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1646 Old 10-25-2005, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsab View Post

Need some help...I have my 60 inch. Ive tried the different calibrations mentioned in this and various other threads...I love the way HD looks, and the way DVDs look. My issue is with SD.

I have a ton of noise...what looks like wavy dots around football players and heads. Not on every channel though, but on football games its very apparent.

I also have what I believe is ghosting, which I especially notice while watching cartoons...like SIMPSONS or FAMILY GUY. For instance, when Peter Griffin waved his hand fast, or there was fast action on the screen, it looked like the previous image stayed, and then took a quick second to catch up to the new image, therefore causing what looked like a trail...or ghosting.

Is this typical of SD? Like I mentioned, DVD and HD are perfect, so I doubt its the TV.

I currently use S-video input as my hook up for viewing SD, and use the HDMI input for HD viewing. I have D*

Please, any opinions or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

I use the Adelphia Cable Moxi Box. When I first got my 60" I used HDMI and had the same problems you are having. I think it was because the Moxi does not transmit 480i over HDMI. The Moxi converts it to either 720p or 1080i before sending. When I switched to component the SD looked much better, probably because the Moxi could pass 480i to the Sony directly without conversion, with the Sony doing a much better job of conversion than the Moxi. I was also surprised to find that the component also looked a little better than HDMI when viewing HD sources. Your problem may be of a simular nature to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1646 Old 10-25-2005, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

General consensus (including my observations) is that HDMI at 1080i should be the input "of choice". If you are using HDMI cables, I would not be too worried about "quality" because is digital. If the cable company doesn't provide HDMI cables, a radio shack version should suffice. I bought mine from Blue Jeans Cable (website provided below).

Next preference would be component. I personally believe quality counts (it is an analog feed) but that doesn't necessarily equate with price. There are lots of sources where good quality component cables can be purchased. I have always found Blue Jeans Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com) offers a quality product at a reasonable cost.

Problem, radio shack doesn't sell inexpensive cable for video hookups anymore. They sell friggin Monster cables. As does Best Buy and Circuit city. Kind of hard to find inexpensive cables. Especially digital cables where, as you said, build quality isn't critical.
post #183 of 1646 Old 10-25-2005, 06:18 PM

[quote=rlb]General consensus (including my observations) is that HDMI at 1080i should be the input "of choice". If you are using HDMI cables, I would not be too worried about "quality" because is digital. If the cable company doesn't provide HDMI cables, a radio shack version should suffice. I bought mine from Blue Jeans Cable (website provided below).

Many thanks - I am sure I will have more questions. I am learning so much from this forum. I will look into the HDMI cables and have them here in case my provider does not supply them.
post #184 of 1646 Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted some pics of the inky blues in the owners thread.

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #185 of 1646 Old 10-25-2005, 07:03 PM
CRM

Maximum360,
I don't post much but I have been following your tale in the owners thread and feel your pain. I have the 60 and do not have the inky blue or any of the other problems listed. I have a small problem with a "blemish" in the screen which is controled by reducing the light level in the room. Anyway, my suggestion is to call Sony (they responded to me fast and furious-even a tech called me from Penn) and get the set replaced or serviced asap. This is a great set (I have a panny plasma and a mits 65813 to compare) and the best picture I have ever seen. By the way thanks to all those posting your settngs--big help.
post #186 of 1646 Old 10-25-2005, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM View Post

Maximum360,
I don't post much but I have been following your tale in the owners thread and feel your pain. I have the 60 and do not have the inky blue or any of the other problems listed. I have a small problem with a "blemish" in the screen which is controled by reducing the light level in the room. Anyway, my suggestion is to call Sony (they responded to me fast and furious-even a tech called me from Penn) and get the set replaced or serviced asap. This is a great set (I have a panny plasma and a mits 65813 to compare) and the best picture I have ever seen. By the way thanks to all those posting your settngs--big help.

Trust me, I'll be calling again first thing tomorrow.

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #187 of 1646 Old 10-25-2005, 08:43 PM

Thanks to everyone who helped with my noise issue. Using an HDMI connection instead of S-Video cleared it right up.

About the "blue" problem people have been having....I have seen it on my screen sometimes, and other times I havent, so I am not too worried.

When changing inputs, and there is a black screen, I dont see it at all. On some commercials, with an all white background, I have seen a blue tint in all four corners. On other commercials, with an all white background, it remains all white in the corners.

When watching SIN CITY on DVD, I can see the bluish tint in the lower right and upper left of the black screen during the opening scene, that everyone has been talking about..

On other dark DVDs, I dont see it.

From this, I gather its not really the TV that is at fault. I think its a source problem, and the TV highlights things that we normally shouldnt see. That, to me, is the sign of a great TV, although aggravating from a source standpoint.

Come 2008, or whenever Congress decides, with the eventual explosion of HD, when DVDs and most programming is in HD, our sources, feeds, etc., should be better than what we have to work with now. Then this TV will do exactly what its supposed to do.
post #188 of 1646 Old 10-26-2005, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM View Post

Maximum360,

CRM, I believe I have the same problem with a blemish in the screen that is controled by reducing light can you tell me what no. you called.
post #189 of 1646 Old 10-26-2005, 04:00 PM
CRM

duvy56,
I called 1-800-222-7669. Very helpful when I got to a real person. Personal opinion is that Sony is learning about their quality control processes presently established with this set and is very interested in our opinions regarding outcomes (at this time).
Good luck!
post #190 of 1646 Old 10-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

I'll throw my experience into the collective here.

When the lights were out at night I've been distracted by some of the brightness issues talked about in the owners thread. The black bands at the top and bottom of a 2.40:1 DVD made it easier to see. When I could get a solid black screen I could seen that mine is darker in the top right and lower left than the rest of the screen. I've also noticed it when the lights are out watching 4:3 material that the variance is visible in the black side pillars.

I fiddled with every iris and video adjustment to find that in a very dark room I could make the screen brighter and more uniform but no darker and more uniform. I can't say this is something that has gotten worse but it is something I have noticed only when it's very dark in the room. Am I just being anal?

Now if there is enough ambiant light or viewing in the daytime the blacks look all black and solid. I checked at lunch and the side pillars look as black as the surrounding bezel.

So can anyone say that at night with the lights out the side pillars on 4:3 are totally black or do you get a little, slightly blue-ish light to make them slightly brighter than the bezel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #191 of 1646 Old 10-26-2005, 04:47 PM

Hi there fellow 60" owners. I need help!! Got my set yesterday and I'm having big problems getting the audio to work through my receiver. This is what I am running: comcast hdtv box, and a tivo toshiba dvd recorder, which I had before, and I already know it won't pick up the hdtv signals, and a pioneer dvd player. Now I've managed to get video on all the inputs, but I'm only getting audio through the dvd and tivo, they are on separate inputs through my Denon digital receiver, but I can't get audio through the cable box input. I'd appreciate any help, I'm the female in the house and the only one who got this far. Thanks in advance!!
post #192 of 1646 Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 PM

No, none of the hdmi cables are connected, right now the vcr-1 input on my receiver is going to the alternative output slot for audio on the tv, but when I use that screen, which is video 4 for the cable box, i get no audio through the speakers, and yes, I turn the tv speakers off and it still doesn't work. By the way, does anyone know what the video 2 screen is for?
post #193 of 1646 Old 10-26-2005, 05:23 PM

Yes, I did, but here's the problem, and please remember, kind person, I am in no way a geek with this stuff, I just get along. I've tried to set it up that with each input there's an output - but for the main signal, which is the tv/comcast box, and with my receiver on "vcr 1", I'm not getting any audio. I do have it with my dvd - and my tivo (the tv/dbs setting), so what am I doing wrong to get audio through my receiver for the main connection?
And thanks so very much for helping me
post #194 of 1646 Old 10-27-2005, 06:48 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaann8 View Post

Yes, I did, but here's the problem, and please remember, kind person, I am in no way a geek with this stuff, I just get along. I've tried to set it up that with each input there's an output - but for the main signal, which is the tv/comcast box, and with my receiver on "vcr 1", I'm not getting any audio. I do have it with my dvd - and my tivo (the tv/dbs setting), so what am I doing wrong to get audio through my receiver for the main connection?
And thanks so very much for helping me

This is tough/confusing without a wiring diagram; but let me try:
1)Assume you are trying to get sound from outboard speakers powered by your receiver.
2)Problem is with the cable box.
3)Cable box sound is wired from "alternative output slot for audio on the tv" (don't know what that is--the nomenclature is not on page 18/19 in the owner's manual) but I will assume you mean the analog audio out (item nine on the prior mentioned pages).

Possible issues:
1) You appear to be trying to get cable box sound from the tv to the receiver; but I don't see where the tv is getting cable box sound to be able to send to the receiver. (hope this makes sense)
2) The analog audio out handles only analog signals. If you are somehow getting an optical/digital sound from the cable box to the tv, I don't believe it is able to then move analog from the tv to the receiver. You would have to send it out via optical digital from the tv to the receiver. I assume this is the case because I use both sets of cables to move OTA sound from the tv to my pre/pro. Optical for the digital channels and analog for the analog channels.

I would suggest that you send sound directly from the cable box to the receiver (if you are currently doing what I assumed above). In fact, don't route any sound through the tv if you are using the receiver and outboard speakers.

Hope this helps. If I'm confused about what you are attempting to do, suggest you try again by describing the exact route (with type of audio (analog or optical digital) and output/input names on cable box/tv/receiver) you expect the sound to travel in getting from the cable box to amplifier section of your receiver.
post #195 of 1646 Old 10-27-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanrobson View Post

I change iris myself. It was set to default 2 with advance iris set to off for calibration. I change it because I wanted more black detail. Blacks are still very deep with these settings. R-gain was set to -13 and skin tone is perfect but i like bright red for things like firetrucks in a scene so I adjusted the color corrector to high which made the red stand out but did not affect skin tone at all.

Write down your settings and try try my settings to see how it look for you. I will have my 2nd sxrd shortly and will be calibrated too and will post those settings.

Any word on the second set being calibrated and those settings? What equipment does he/she use? How much variation does he/she notices with gain/bias settingsamongst these sets?
post #196 of 1646 Old 10-27-2005, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Lisa anne. I hope I am understanding you correctly. You are running everything through your receiver and only getting your cable box to produce audio through the receiver, correct?

I would approach it this way.
FIRST: Run audio directly to the TV, DO NOT go to the receiver. Use the RCA (Red and white) plugs and see if you get any sound.

If you do produce sound go to SECOND STEP. If you do not produce sound you might have some weird setting on your cable box. I would go into the audio menu on your cable box and see what is selected. Select standard audio for running directly to TV. Select dolby digital for running to receiver.

SECOND: Run an optical (Toslink or optical audio) plug to your receiver from the cable box. Make sure you are plugging into correct receiver input (DO NOT SHARE INPUTS). When I say share make sure you do not have an analog plug from tv going into reciver and toslink going into digital plug for TV on the reciver. This can cause havoc with recivers sometimes. Make any neccessary changes to cable box audio setting eg dolby digital.

That should work.
post #197 of 1646 Old 10-28-2005, 09:12 PM

Anyone else get their sets ISF'd?
post #198 of 1646 Old 10-29-2005, 05:09 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_jason View Post

Anyone else get their sets ISF'd?

Not yet. I wanted to wait until I had at least 150 hours on the set. I'm there now but currently don't see the need.

My last set , a Mits 55" RPTV was ISF'd and it was the best money I ever spent (except for getting an outboard processor to handle SD). Both were required before I was satisfied with the set.

The SXRD is different. Right out of the box, it had a great picture once I set it on Pro, Warm, and turned off the enhancers/correctors.

I'm sure my gray scale is off a little. Could you tell much of a difference after your ISF?
post #199 of 1646 Old 10-29-2005, 02:13 PM

"I'll throw my experience into the collective here.

When the lights were out at night I've been distracted by some of the brightness issues talked about in the owners thread. The black bands at the top and bottom of a 2.40:1 DVD made it easier to see. When I could get a solid black screen I could seen that mine is darker in the top right and lower left than the rest of the screen. I've also noticed it when the lights are out watching 4:3 material that the variance is visible in the black side pillars.

I fiddled with every iris and video adjustment to find that in a very dark room I could make the screen brighter and more uniform but no darker and more uniform. I can't say this is something that has gotten worse but it is something I have noticed only when it's very dark in the room. Am I just being anal?

Now if there is enough ambiant light or viewing in the daytime the blacks look all black and solid. I checked at lunch and the side pillars look as black as the surrounding bezel.

So can anyone say that at night with the lights out the side pillars on 4:3 are totally black or do you get a little, slightly blue-ish light to make them slightly brighter than the bezel?"

I can agree to that aswell. With some light the black is as black as the bezel. In lights out movie watching, it is noticbly brighter than the bezel and with a slight blueish purplish tinge. This must be normal for these displayes, i do have a call back with an engineer from the Penn. Sony plant to verify.
post #200 of 1646 Old 10-29-2005, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uninvited Guest View Post

I'll throw my experience into the collective here.

So can anyone say that at night with the lights out the side pillars on 4:3 are totally black or do you get a little, slightly blue-ish light to make them slightly brighter than the bezel?

I can agree to that as well. With some light the black is as black as the bezel. In lights out movie watching, it is noticbly brighter than the bezel and with a slight blueish purplish tinge. This must be normal for these displayes, i do have a call back with an engineer from the Penn. Sony plant to verify.
post #201 of 1646 Old 10-29-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Not yet. I wanted to wait until I had at least 150 hours on the set. I'm there now but currently don't see the need.

My last set , a Mits 55" RPTV was ISF'd and it was the best money I ever spent (except for getting an outboard processor to handle SD). Both were required before I was satisfied with the set.

The SXRD is different. Right out of the box, it had a great picture once I set it on Pro, Warm, and turned off the enhancers/correctors.

I'm sure my gray scale is off a little. Could you tell much of a difference after your ISF?

No ISF yet, just used SpyderTV which gave me numbers similar to the posters gains/bias. One huge difference is the R gain. I wanted to check it again but the sensor broke and I'm waiting on the exchange. Simple answer is yes, and worth the money. I just have so many more sets, I wanted to learn to do some of it myself.
post #202 of 1646 Old 10-29-2005, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I did notice that in titol darkness any black borders seem to have a blue hue. However, the active picture looks wonderful so I'm not worried.
post #203 of 1646 Old 10-29-2005, 06:55 PM

When viewing in total darkness my side bars seem to change with what is on the active picture. If there is bright area near the edge then it will show a little blue hue but if it's dark near the edge then there is no problem...they are inky black.
There's a Infiniti commercial where at the end of the commercial the screen is all black and you can't see where the side bars are at all. This is just one example... there are plenty of times when the side bars are inky black as well.
It just seems to be either the source or what the active picture is showing.

"Some people are like Slinkies--not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
post #204 of 1646 Old 10-30-2005, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_jason View Post

Any word on the second set being calibrated and those settings? What equipment does he/she use? How much variation does he/she notices with gain/bias settingsamongst these sets?

There is a problem with my 2nd set so I am currently waiting for an exchange on it. When I power up the TV there is a noticable thick greener ring in the image that covers the entire right side of the display from top to bottom. Once the brightness gets to max, it almost disappears until you put on an IRE pattern where you can see a light shade of green around where the ring area was. If you watch hockey there will be a band of green that stays on because of so much white on the screen. Once I get the replacement I will post new ISF results.
post #205 of 1646 Old 10-30-2005, 09:24 AM

I get a circle of green on the right side when i power up but it goes away after a few minutes, and is only noticeable on white.

I doubt i'll exchange it but I will buy that warranty that i wasnt going to otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanrobson View Post

There is a problem with my 2nd set so I am currently waiting for an exchange on it. When I power up the TV there is a noticable thick greener ring in the image that covers the entire right side of the display from top to bottom. Once the brightness gets to max, it almost disappears until you put on an IRE pattern where you can see a light shade of green around where the ring area was. If you watch hockey there will be a band of green that stays on because of so much white on the screen. Once I get the replacement I will post new ISF results.

post #206 of 1646 Old 10-30-2005, 11:13 AM

To those of you who are experiencing black uniformity problems in a darkened room and no problems when there is ambient lighting - just curious if you've tried using the lamp's low power setting in the darkened room and what, if anything that does.

To those who are beginning to report mysterious green screen apparitions, is it time to start an SXRD From Mars thread? Not all that funny really - there is at least one new post over in the SXRD Owners Thread of the same issue. The poster indicated the problem has worsened over time, so I wouldn't wait too long to act on it, especially if you have exchange privileges and you believe they'll force you to keep it and get it serviced after that. Would appreciate any feedback on the cause, if and when it's determined. Thanks.
post #207 of 1646 Old 10-30-2005, 11:21 AM

I can get into the service menu, but the on screen display is cryptic compared to my 32" sony crt. I was hoping there would be some uniformity in the CRT manual vs the SXRD, but no such luck. I want to check and see if I can adjust the convergence. Anyone else try to access the service menu?
post #208 of 1646 Old 10-30-2005, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
How is it accessed?
post #209 of 1646 Old 10-30-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post

I can get into the service menu, but the on screen display is cryptic compared to my 32" sony crt. I was hoping there would be some uniformity in the CRT manual vs the SXRD, but no such luck. I want to check and see if I can adjust the convergence. Anyone else try to access the service menu?

There is no "convergence" to be adjusted on these sets. The 3 Panels are permanently attached. It is what it is, Dude
post #210 of 1646 Old 10-30-2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post

How is it accessed?

[POWER], [DISPLAY], [5], [VOL+], [POWER]

Press each key one after the other.

Darn, I was hoping there would be a way to fix the convergence.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page