post #271 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSnake View Post

Owners:
But my viewing distance will only be about 8'-9'. I don't want to ruin the experience by having to view the 65" too close. I would rather have the 58" looking great than the 65" and see pixels and artifacts.

There is no SDE on this set all... no matter how close you are. We sit anywhere from 8-13' and I will tell you that we really enjoy the larger screen. Let me say it this way, if you can go to a store and look at any 65" set from 8-9' and not think the screen is too large, I don't think you can go wrong with the HP 65.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp View Post

There are trolls in every thread. The Samsung and Sony and JVC threads have been around for a long time and have attracted the usual anti-Samsung, anti-Sony, anti-DLP, anti-RPLCD, anti-JVC, anti-Microdisplay, and so on trolls. This thread, like the HP DLPs it covers, has only been around for a few days and so is still very new. Unfortunately, the DLP-haters will inevitably find this thread and will post their usual garbage about wobbulation, color wheels, lip synch, gaming delays, black levels, etc. They'll pick up on any real or perceived issue or problem that is mentioned here and blow it up out of all proportion to suit their own personal agendas, biases and preferences. Personally, I defected from Samsung DLPs to the Sony SXRD and am happy with it but I see no point in bashing DLPs. I sincerely hope that the HP DLP is a great TV and that those of you that choose it will be happy with it.

Hi AkaStp,
I visited the Sony SXRD thread awhile ago and knew that you switched from Samsung DLP to Sony LCD A10. Did not know that you now ended up with SXRD.
If you don't mind giving a summary of the reasons for going from Samsung DLP to Sony A10 and then Sony SXRD, it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm currently considering the SXRD and the HP 1080p DLP.
Thanks a lot.
post #273 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

This is a 50th birthady present for me which is still 6 months away so not sure how the wife will react to getting it so quickly need to set the expectations a little more with her but she has greed to a new tv so the hard part is done.

You know Steve, us here in New England need to be cogniscent of our bad winter weather. You need to get the RPTV now not later. There could still be snow on the ground come your bday and you needn't take that risk. Surely that should be enough to convince her. Or you could just get it as a Halloween present.
post #274 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSnake View Post

Owners:
I am phonecall away from ordering the 65". (the discounts are back!)
SNAKE

Yes they are!
post #275 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemoe View Post

You know Steve, us here in New England need to be cogniscent of our bad winter weather. You need to get the RPTV now not later. There could still be snow on the ground come your bday and you needn't take that risk. Surely that should be enough to convince her. Or you could just get it as a Halloween present.

Agreed. It's a sensitive piece of electronic equipment. You wouldn't want to subject it to those kinds of temperature extremes. Or something. I leave it to you how best to elaborate on / improvise on / exaggerate that explanation. =)

And of course, God forbid one of the deliverypeople slip and fall on the ice and turn your new $5000 Pavilion into a Paperweight.

HP MD5880n (58" 1080p DLP) HDTV
post #276 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldan View Post

I am primarily a HTPC user.

Battlefield 2 looks absolutely insane. .

Do you notice any lag on teh PC games? How is your Sound going from the HTPC (which soundcard). Are you sending 5.1 (analog) from the HTPC -> the TV -> 5.1 Receiver?
post #277 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO Perfect HDTV View Post

of course i agree with HDMI being the future, my point was only that VGA still can display a great computer PQ and if i can use it for my HTPC i still have the 2 superior HDMI free for my Cable and PS3.

So pretty please with sugar on top, if anybody can test and tell me if the VGA port can display full screen 1080p with no overscan, I would appreciate it very much and go haed and order my HP.

Sorry, it won't do 1080P(why I don't know, how much could it have possibly cost). Another owner verified ealier in thread. Ditto for component inputs.
post #278 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 01:46 PM

Darrell, Steve,

Thanks for the info, maybe the 65" will work after all!

ps Um, Can I borrow $4k?
post #279 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngpong View Post

I saw the same thing too. I just got the "Moxi" and watched a pre-recorded program where the lip sync was noticably out. My video and sound are going into the HP through Component 2 input. I was concerned, but I think it is a "cable" problem. When watching SD on my CRT TV it too is slightly out of sync. I think it is worse going through the DVR though. DVD syncs up perfectly.

Anyone else see this?

Recorded on DVD and hard drive at XP speed no synch-don't think is like rainbow where some see some don"t.
post #280 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloBox View Post

Yes. It looks like almost every AV dealer on the internet offers the RepairMaster warranty in either the 2 or 4 year version. Most of the RepairMaster bulb policies are only sold by the seller of the HDTV.

You can buy the warranty from TVA Auth even if bought elsewhere-just not every variation. But I believe no matter what not done by authorized center.
post #281 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldan View Post

I am primarily a HTPC user. It's the reason I bought this TV. I don't even have cable or a standalone DVD player hooked up right now.

After using the set for the night I must say I'm more than pleased. As a monitor this set will work better than any other on the market right now. It has a built in PC Aspect which gives you no over or underscan AND 1:1 pixel mapping at 1920X1080. It has a built it toggle between Video and PC grayscale levels.

I can't say anything about the VGA port, as I see no reason not to connect my PC (with x800 Pro vid card) through DVI-HDMI. DVDs look superb using Zoomplayer with DScaler and FFDShow (upscaling to 1080p).

Battlefield 2 looks absolutely insane. I can't describe how lush and detailed everything looks, and how the water shimmers as it catches the light just so... The PQ on this set is so good that it makes the Toshiba 62HMX94 I was using last week put on a dunce cap and cry in the corner. I can hardly believe the graphics I'm seeing now are coming from the same source as when I saw them on the Tosh set.

Oh, and I've tested it with Tekken 5 on PS2 and Soul Calibur 2 on Gamecube. Zero lag. This set doesn't need a game mode like the Toshibas, it simply doesn't have a latency problem at all with game consoles.

I've seen SXRD at Huppins (online known as Onecall) and I must say I'm impressed. To me this looks just as good though, and with the 1080p over HDMI it definately was the better choice for my needs (HTPC user).

All I know is that if you send this TV a 1920X1080 60 Hz signal from your PC with DVI-HDMI and put the set on PC Aspect Ratio and PC DVI Color, it will correcly give you 1:1 pixel mapping at 1080p with no over/underscan and correct PC level grayscale (1-255). Any newer ATI or NVidia graphics card with the latest drivers will be able to do this, and if you didn't have a newer card you wouldn't be able to run games in 1920X1080 anyways (it's roughtly equivalent to running in the more common 1600X1200 in terms of framerates).

Battlefield 2 looks better on this TV than it does on my 19" Sony LCD monitor. I look forward to years of insane gaming on this set.

When your running 1600x1200 is your info bar saying 1080i? On other res's giving exact(eg. 1280x960 60hz. As good a card as we both have it's still not practical to run at 1080P output and be competitive on line. But can have cake and eat it too by running 1280x720 and having tv output upscaled 1080P. Natve 1080P is sure pretty though.
post #282 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIDAV View Post

Sorry, it won't do 1080P(why I don't know, how much could it have possibly). Another owner verified ealier in thread. Ditto for component inputs.

It will do 1080p24/30 on component. 1080p @ all frame rates through HDMI.
post #283 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

You're correct, the Panorama on the MDTV units do not stretch the image horizontally only. There is also a slight stretch vertically. This will be passed along.

You know HP's panorama on any other TV would be called Zoom 1.
post #284 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post

The HDMI implementation on these sets is 1.2 compliant. It should pass 5.1 audio if available.

I know it is sacrilege but we are not using our home theater audio system right now. We are evaluating the sound being produced by the set itself. So far, we are leaning towards ditching all the surround speakers and the huge subwoofer on the floor. The sound with the embedded subwoofer sounds very passable to our ears and not having all the ugly wires and speakers around makes my wife very happy. Call me stupid but that is important to me

The sound is the best of any TV at any price I've ever heard. I stopped using my 7.1 surround the day I got this , plus unless running fom TV audio out you"ll probably just introduce audio synch problems. Are you sure about HDMI 1.2-our sets produced in August and 1.2 not out til end of August and not appear on video cards til spring.
post #285 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

HPShopping is sold out of both units. Back orders NOT being taken. YOu just have to "check back" end of october
post #286 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Are you sure about HDMI 1.2-our sets produced in August and 1.2 not out til end of August and not appear on video cards til spring.

I believe this is what I was told by someone who would know. I will get confirmation though.

The fact that the spec was released in August does not mean that a manufacturer could not have it long before. Trust me. This happens all the time.
post #287 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

AKaSTP Great post this thread is very good right now and hope it stays this way. I think this thread has sold me this TV and now it is just a matter of pulling the trigger which I am getting close to doing. This is a 50th birthady present for me which is still 6 months away so not sure how the wife will react to getting it so quickly need to set the expectations a little more with her but she has greed to a new tv so the hard part is done.

I love my HP but people should realize a few things. I have 58" HP sitting side by side with 50" Samsung DLP; HP HDTV and PC PQ far superior, digital a tie, Sammy SD much better(keep in mind HP screen 40% larger), Sammy PIP much better(uses whole screen), sound quality-HP no contest. HP one of most beautiful sets ever made. Panorama mode, HP would lose to aset 4yrs old.
post #288 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:

There is no SDE on this set all... no matter how close you are. We sit anywhere from 8-13' and I will tell you that we really enjoy the larger screen. Let me say it this way, if you can go to a store and look at any 65" set from 8-9' and not think the screen is too large, I don't think you can go wrong with the HP 65.

My daugther was watching the 58" from a foot away-says it's great. Crazy kids. Truthfully 8-9ft is great(except for SD).
post #289 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

It will do 1080p24/30 on component. 1080p @ all frame rates through HDMI.

Thanks-good to know. Though at these resolutions I'm not savy about how much 60 vs 30 fps matters. Please tell how relevant.
post #290 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

HPShopping is sold out of both units. Back orders NOT being taken. YOu just have to "check back" end of october

Yeah! You damn guys who own one didn't find any defects and talked the set up so much (and with the liberal discounts and free shipping) that people went on a feeding frenzy. How about some negative buzz on these TVs so that the supply and demand channels will ease up?

Congrats to those who have a set or those expecting one soon. Maybe this will wake up the other companies producing 1080p TVs that if they make a it "right" at the "right" price, they can have a profitable company and satisfied customers.
post #291 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

For all of us new HP owners (and the wannabees), you can proudly show up at the Sony store wearing the HP logo.

Or buy some stuff for your wife to keep her happy! )

Here's the link:

http://www.hpstore.com/
post #292 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I believe this is what I was told by someone who would know. I will get confirmation though.

The fact that the spec was released in August does not mean that a manufacturer could not have it long before. Trust me. This happens all the time.

I saw article and you're 100% right-they approved spec end of August-which means product could be in pipeline(it's all coming back to me now)-THANKS

PS;Integrated graphic and audio cards will be someting to behold.
post #293 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks-good to know. Though at these resolutions I'm not savy about how much 60 vs 30 fps matters. Please tell how relevant.

This is my educated guess. 1920x1080p at 30 fps would be very similar to 1920x1080i at 60fps.
post #294 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:44 PM

I too am on the brink of choosing this unit, but the outstanding question of whether the 5.1 audio from an HDMI coming from a DVD player or cable box will be preserved when passed from the TV to a receiver thru the coaxial out has me spooked.

I love the specs on this TV, but I'm very worried about lip synch issues. One of the reasons I like this TV is because it has a superior internal speaker system (2 85 watt speakers) with a dedicated subwoofer, so most of my TV viewing would be with just those, but when it comes time to watch movies on DVD I would want full use of my surround sound.

I would prefer to take audio straight from the DVD player to the receiver, but if that opens me up to sync issues, I certainly would be willing to run the audio out of the TV to the receiver IF the digital 5.1 surround is preserved.

DarrellH, thanks for your help in getting this question addressed.
post #295 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:49 PM

Hello,

I am intrigued by the HP 1080Ps and all the comments on this site. I will have a difficult choice between the Sony XBR and the HP. Does anyone know if BB or CC will eventually get these units? or will all sales go through HP and other online sites?

Thanks!
post #296 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

I spent some time today talking with the Calibre folks who will be releasing their REALTA-based Vantage-HD video processor next month (MSRP $2899). This looks to be a phenonmenal add-on to the 1080P-HDMI enabled HP sets.

If you're not familiar with the Realta chip, I recommend you check out this site:

http://www.hqv.com

I bought the HQV DVD to analyze my set (an old Toshiba 50" CRT from 2001) and the new one. Boy the deinterlacer in the Toshiba stunk. I lent the disk out for a few days to the manager of a high end local video store who was anxious to use it to evaluate the new Sony SXRD sets for their deinterlacing and scaling capability. I can't wait to pull the disk out and check those sets myself. If they have artifacts (and I'll bet they do considering they have nothing like the REALTA chip onboard) all the SXRD buyers will NO recourse as their HDMI inputs will only accept 1080i.

I have a Vantage-HD unit on order with AVS and Jason is still taking more orders. You can read about the Vantage-HD at their web site:

http://www.calibreuk.com/home_theater.php

and there is a thread on the AVS forum subgroup on VIDEO PROCESSORS as well.

The unit is expected in by mid-November and when I run it through its paces, I'll post "before" and "after" shots of using it vs. not using it to do my scaling, deinterlacing, and noise reduction.
post #297 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

Do you notice any lag on teh PC games? How is your Sound going from the HTPC (which soundcard). Are you sending 5.1 (analog) from the HTPC -> the TV -> 5.1 Receiver?

No lag whatsoever, and it shouldn't since the processing done at the display should be minimal (the signal is kept in the digital domain with DVI-HDMI instead of having to do D->A, A->D like with a VGA connection). I'm feeding the TV its native resolution through it's digital input - the TV doesn't have to do any scaling at all.

I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum connected to my VSX-915 via 5.1 analog. For movies I connect the computer to the receiver with S/PDIF out.

There is no audio lag with this setup period.
post #298 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Reldan

Thanks so much. I just called and they are all sold out - no ETA.

I WAS ABLE to cancel my toshiba order. For the money - the 62" is a great price but to "do it right" and get 60FPS, HDMI etc. seems like it is woth the wait.
post #299 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:

This is my educated guess. 1920x1080p at 30 fps would be very similar to 1920x1080i at 60fps.

If you're looking at something running at 30fps it'll look like motion. If you watch the same thing at 60fps it'll look like motion, only better somehow. Our eyes are highly advanced video processors that can pull off some pretty amazing tricks on our ability to perceive reality (see Gestalt psychology for more). They trick us into thinking that 30fps isn't jerky, but when faced with better framerates they have to work less hard to fool the brain and hence, the PQ just seems better.
post #300 of 10929 Old 10-21-2005, 03:50 PM

for those looking for a B&M place that is going to carry them, ken cranes is going to carry them and just got a call from one of the sales men, they got it in today and should be on display hopefully tomm.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page