The Official HP Pavilion 1080P DLP Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a bit confused about something.
Is there any difference between the HD signal put out by the 7800GT as compared to the 7800GTX ?

Here's a comparison chart between all the eVGA 7800 GT's and GTX's

Is there any difference in the HD signal between the two methods of sending the signal from 7800 to the 58" HP MD5880n?

1.) DVI to HDMI?
2.) Or should I use the connector bundled w/ both the GT's and GTX's pictured in the comparison link above?
A.)What is that connector anyways? (on the right) <--Click
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk0r View Post

I'm a bit confused about something.
We have got the 58" HP MD5880n which supports 1080p over HDMI.
Is there any difference between the HD signal put out by the 7800GT as compared to the 7800GTX ?

Here's a comparison chart between all the eVGA 7800 GT's and GTX's

Also how should I send a signal from 7800 to the 58" HP MD5880n?

1.) DVI to HDMI?
2.) Or should I use the connector bundled w/ both the GT's and GTX's pictured in the comparison link above?
A.)What is that connector anyways? (on the right) <--Click

1) Don't buy monster cables. They price gouge beyond all reason. These are digital cables we're talking about - they pass signals comprised of 1's and 0's, as though they were transferring a file. It either works or it doesn't - there is no signal degradation as a result of a poor cable. The cheapest ass DVI-HDMI cable will look the same as the most expensive if we're talking less than around 25 ft. I got my DVI-HDMI cable off monoprice and it works fine.

2) Use DVI-HDMI to connect your computer. The HP's were built for doing it that way.

3) That's a component out dongle. It's not going to be able to pass 1080p/60, only 1080p/24 or 1080p/30. The HP's only take 1080p/60 through HDMI.
post #363 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post

I'll try to summarize what we know/don't know about the 1080p MD6580n and MD5880n DLP models here. If there is other info you would like to see summarized here, let me know. Thanks.

HP Microdisplay info can be found here:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...dtv&catLevel=2

All models have the following inputs:

2 HDMI (480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p*)
2 Component (480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p**)
1 VGA (480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p***)
1 USB
1 Serial
3 Composite/Svideo
2 Cable
1 CableCard
5 Analog RCA Audio

* Supports 24, 30 and 60fps.
** Supports 24, and 30fps.
*** Supports 24, and 30fps but we have heard that the maximum resolution is 1280x1024p60

All models have the following outputs:
1 Analog RCA Audio out
1 Digital Coaxial Audio out (configurable)

Questions to answer:

1) Do the HDMI/Component inputs actually support 1080p as documented?
We have confirmation that the ATI 9800 All-in-Wonder will display 1080p at 60 fps to the set.

2) Does the VGA input do 1080p?
No. It has been confirmed the max resolution is 1280x1024 @60hz

3) What is the serial input for?

4) Does the digital-audio-out properly pass 5.1 if present on the HDMI input?

5) How does the USB firmware upgrade work?

6) Is it a problem that 1080i/p over the component cables are only 24 or 30fps instead of 60? Is the difference noticeable?

Answers to common questions:

1) How is the fan noise? Most common answer: so far, silent.

2) How is the black level? Most common answer: Excellent

3) How is the black detail? Most common answer: Excellent

4) Is there artifacting with fast motion video? Most common answer: Not detected as yet

5) SDE? Most common answer: None. Even up close.

6) SSE? Most common answer: None detected so far.

7) How is the OOB calibration? Most common answer: Good

Device compatability over HDMI:

SA8300HD Cable/DVR STB: works and produces a great picture but there are reports that some Time Warner customers in some regions will have problems.

Hughes HR10-250 DirecTV/DVR: reportedly has PQ issues over HDMI. Component works great. Being investigated.

ATI 9800 All-in-Wonder: displays 1080p 60 over HDMI to the set. Here is a quote describing the PQ
Sony DVP-NS70H DVD: displays 1080i over HDMI with no shifting issues. The PQ is outstanding!

ATI x800 Pro graphics card:

Problems reported:

1) Apparently, the HP stands are not being packed/shipped very well. Most are arriving damaged!

2) PIP functionality is not on-par with competitors. Only 1 HD source available.

3) Remote is not backlit/illuminated.

Things we'd like to see fixed:

1) Channel switching can be slow with certain sources. This is supposedly being addressed in the upgrade available with the free 128MB USB drive.

2) Panorama stretch mode is not working quite right. It seems to be throwing away data from the top and bottom of the picture.

Enhancements we'd like to see added:

1) Add an EPG. Please. Pretty please!

2) Update the "Info" display so that it displays info on the second window in PIP and split sreen modes - at a minimum identify the source of the secondary window and report the current Aspect setting (panorama, zoomed, etc).

3) Update the "Info" function so that it clears any channel commands entered but not executed by the set...e.g., if I am changing channels and hit 55 instead of 57, hitting the "Info" button should cancel the channel command so I can start over and not have the set switch to the wrong channel

Darrell

A Great presentation. I am a computer nut, but not experienced in th HDTV names . Could you all define a few items like SSE ,SDE ,EPG and OOB.

Maybe others for those not familar with HDTV terms.

Ray
post #364 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayme View Post

A Great presentation. I am a computer nut, but not experienced in th HDTV names . Could you all define a few items like SSE ,SDE ,EPG and OOB.

Maybe others for those not familar with HDTV terms.

Ray

Ray, I do not think the Official HP 1080p Owner forum is the proper board to ask for acronym definitions.
post #365 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldan View Post

1) Don't buy monster cables. They price gouge beyond all reason. These are digital cables we're talking about - they pass signals comprised of 1's and 0's, as though they were transferring a file. It either works or it doesn't - there is no signal degradation as a result of a poor cable. The cheapest ass DVI-HDMI cable will look the same as the most expensive if we're talking less than around 25 ft.
2.) Use DVI-HDMI to connect your computer. The HP's were built for doing it that way.

Ok I wont, but one more question. That monster cable site states the HDMI to DVI adapter is..

"For highdefinition video (720p and 1080i) or standard video formats."

Does this mean one must buy 1080p specific cabling?!?

*Edit-
And I'm talking about the appropriate board to pose questions
post #366 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 10:33 AM

Guys: I've looked at the Samsung and Mits 60+" 1080P's.

I may buy the HP 65" sight unseen based on what you tell me.

I want a rock solid big screen for HD football, baseball, college hoops and some DVD's. No Gaming.

I have an ISF calibrated 43" Pio which I love. Bright for sports, black levels OK.

Is the HP better than the other DLP options out there? Better blacks, etc?

Considering the 60" Sony SXRD.

Thanks for your input!

Ken
post #367 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

https://eclipse.ebus.hp.com/dn/jsp/...encyid=135&am=0
20% Discount for those who are eligible.

Good deal...sucks for me tho

Joe V.
post #368 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

DVI->HDMI for HTPC cable;

WHere is everoyne buying their's??

The $100 seem ridiculous. Some online sites have them for $20.

Anyone recommend a good cheap one?

Go online to pccable.com. You can buy 23ft DVI to HDMI for $58. Probably by shorter lengths for $20.
post #369 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx View Post

I can take my Samsung back if I want to, so this kind of comparison is what interests me.

I find my 6168 to have an excellent HD picture, and I'm quite satisfied at the moment, however, I do have a couple of weeks where I can sit on the fence and still go either way.

Can you tell me which model of TVs are you camparing? Do you have the HP 58" 1080p or 720p version (5880n or 5820n), and to which 50" Samsung model are you comparing your 58" HP.

Any other comments you can think of about the two TV's is certainly welcome.

Thanks

I have the HP 5880n(1080P) and I've had the Samsung HLM507w(720P) since 8/02, light engine went bad and replaced w/latest this past March.
post #370 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Ray, I do not think the Official HP 1080p Owner forum is the proper board to ask for acronym definitions.

SO WHY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Should be

SO WHY NOT dk0r ?????

Since you are such an expert and just joined in last 3 weeks, I have been on since July, as I was waiting for a 6168.

Please tell me where I can get the definitions, as I believe some are new.

Forget it, I can work it out!

Lets have a CAT's fight.

Ray
post #371 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

Watched "Citizen Kane" tonight w/the family...beautiful restored print that looked stunning on the MD6580n...no rainbows seen by anyone in the family, blacks and whites were black and white, and detail was perfect.

Thanks for the info. I figured the TV did a great job on recently made films that are transferred to DVD and was wondering how it handled older black and white films. Did you watch it pillar-boxed or did you use a stretch mode? If, stretch, which stretch mode? (I assume there are several on the set.)

Great news about the rainbows. I guess I'll head out to Ken Crane's and see if I can find any rainbows.
post #372 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop View Post

I have to disagree that this is something to get fixed. This is the way panorama is supposed to work. It is an attempt to achieve the best compromise when viewing 4:3 material on a 16:9 set. It does most of the stretching at the screen edges, and zooms just a little. This preserves the aspect ratio of objects and people in the center of the screen, while minimizing loss of data at the top and bottom.

All methods of displaying 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen involve compromise. You can stretch or zoom or do combinations. While the Panorama mode may not be the choice for those who want to see the entire CNN scroll, for many other people the Panorama mode offers the best possible compromise.

So, I don't think Panorama should be listed under "things we would like to see fixed" when it works exactly as it should and as many people want it to work.

After watcing mine I'm am beginning to reconsider(certainly don't miss all the people w/one skinny arm and one fat one plus wavy football yard markers) but there should be a way to temporarily move picture down. And I have a Panasonic plasma that has panorana done remarkably well w/out clipping top and bottom. What bothers me most is SD PQ-had to turn down contrast to 32 to remove noise. My Samsung DLP SD on same cable looks like 350-375P(HP screen 40% bigger though)
post #373 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Thanks for the info. I figured the TV did a great job on recently made films that are transferred to DVD and was wondering how it handled older black and white films. Did you watch it pillar-boxed or did you use a stretch mode? If, stretch, which stretch mode? (I assume there are several on the set.)

Great news about the rainbows. I guess I'll head out to Ken Crane's and see if I can find any rainbows.

Which Ken Cranes has it? I called Westminister on Thur, was not in.

Ray
post #374 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 11:44 AM

I was watching a dvd on my 5880n last night. The picture was good, but nothing like the HD stations. I think my dvd player only supports resolution up to 480p. Do I just have a crappy DVD player? Is that why the picture wasn't "phenomenal"?
post #375 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdog View Post

All right, so Ive been learning so much from this forum and finally pulled the trigger on one of these, need a replacement after damage from the katrina hurricane.... anyways, I wanted one of the 1080 models but as you guys know they didn't have any left and I don't have any patience. so I picked up the 5820 instead which is supposed to be the exact same tv except for the resolution - I know there will be a difference in picture quality but will there be a significant one - I got the discount and am excited. but can anyone comment if they think I just should have waited for the 1080 model.
anyways, congrats to those that got in on one of these.
prdog.

Main problem with this is that your getting a 2000:1 contrast ratio in 20n's and upwards of 10000:1 in the 80n's
post #376 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john stephens View Post

Kabillyhop,

I agree with your comments and suggestions on the Panorama mode. It's not broken and should not be liste as needing to be fixed.

AviDav,

Your comparision between the SD performance of a 58" TV and a 50" TV is not apples to apples as you well know. The resolution goes down with the square of the magnification, as can be easily seen by using a PC based image editing program(Photoshop, say) and zooming in on a low resolution image. Pretty soon you see the pixellation. To me, this means that your comment on this aspect is misleading.

I love this HP it's not going anywhere. But even at 4:3 on HP and fully stretched on Sammy(which makes sq in area approximately same) the picture quality is not as good. However. I'm working on it(believe hight contrast introducing noise) and will buy video processor if I have to.
post #377 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigger View Post

I was watching a dvd on my 5880n last night. The picture was good, but nothing like the HD stations. I think my dvd player only supports resolution up to 480p. Do I just have a crappy DVD player? Is that why the picture wasn't "phenomenal"?

Also have 5880 and have been doing these same comparisons. Spiderman2 was on HD this morning, also have DVD so compared the two. Believe it or not but at 480P wasn't close but at 480i output most people would be hardpressed to tell difference. My DVD recorder is a 2yr old Panasonic. HP line doubling obviously better was same thing w/my 3yr old Sammy. I think what we'll find over time is that DVD player outputting 1080i/p is best(close to or native resolution).
post #378 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIDAV View Post

After watcing mine I'm am beginning to reconsider(certainly don't miss all the people w/one skinny arm and one fat one plus wavy football yard markers) but there should be a way to temporarily move picture down. And I have a Panasonic plasma that has panorana done remarkably well w/out clipping top and bottom. What bothers me most is SD PQ-had to turn down contrast to 32 to remove noise. My Samsung DLP SD on same cable looks like 350-375P(HP screen 40% bigger though)

Avidav,

The vertical position can sometimes be adjusted using Settings\\Advanced Picture\\Vertical Position. This does not work for all inputs, but it does on the Components. (My Moxi is connected through Component Inputs)
post #379 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 12:50 PM

I spoke with HPshopping and asked them about the "Illuminated Remote". They responded that the remote is illuminated - when you press the device selection. I wasn't using this function because I could not program any of my other devices into the HP remote, but it does illuminate. I guess we were expecting better.

Has anyone had any success with using the HP remote as a "universal remote" for other devices? What about the other way around? My Onkyo receiver's remote could not learn the HP functions either. I may have to look into the Harmony's.
post #380 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Also have 5880 and have been doing these same comparisons. Spiderman2 was on HD this morning, also have DVD so compared the two. Believe it or not but at 480P wasn't close but at 480i output most people would be hardpressed to tell difference. My DVD recorder is a 2yr old Panasonic. HP line doubling obviously better was same thing w/my 3yr old Sammy. I think what we'll find over time is that DVD player outputting 1080i/p is best(close to or native resolution).

I was wondering the same thing - are HD broadcast movies (HBO-HD) better quality than watching the same movie through DVD (480x)? I have my DVD player connected through the Component inputs (480i) and really like the PQ. I did run through the DVD player setup and changed it's configuration to match the new TV - (16x9 display, component output, etc.)

I really didn't want to invest in a new DVD player when BluRay/HDdvd is just around the corner; and I don't think I have to. I'm very happy with the PQ from my ancient 480i DVD player (for now).
post #381 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayme View Post

Which Ken Cranes has it? I called Westminister on Thur, was not in.

Ray

I called the Buena Park Ken Cranes on Beach Blvd a couple of hours ago. They report having 4-8 sets just received in their warehouse but would not commit to when they would be set up and running. The sales guy told me that HP had put on a show for the Ken Crane people a few days ago so he was familiar with the sets. He also said that Ken Crane has an exclusive with HP and the CC and BB won't be carrying them.

I'd sure be willing to drive anywhere in Orange County to see the new HP sets so I hope people will take the time to post Southern California HP 1080p sightings.
post #382 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I love this HP it's not going anywhere. But even at 4:3 on HP and fully stretched on Sammy(which makes sq in area approximately same) the picture quality is not as good. However. I'm working on it(believe hight contrast introducing noise) and will buy video processor if I have to.

Just run all your inputs into the Calibre Vantage-HD video processor and output 1080p60 Nirvana....

(Athough you'll probably have to play with the settings on the Vantage-HD)
post #383 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:

I have the HP 5880n(1080P) and I've had the Samsung HLM507w(720P) since 8/02, light engine went bad and replaced w/latest this past March.

So you're comparing an old Samsung (HLM 720p model) to the new 1080p HP and saying the picture is better on the HP under some conditions? Not a resounding endorsement.

Then you go on to say this 1080p HP needs a video processor for 4:3 formats.

Please tell me I'm wrong, and convince me to return my Samsung for this HP.

From the sounds of it I should be keeping the 1080p Samsung. Is the picture really that bad on the HP? The Samsung 1080p blows the doors off the HLM Samsung series.

I kinda want the 1080p HDMI input for my computer.

Someone please tell me Avidav is somewhat off base with his assessment.

Thanks
post #384 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 02:09 PM

I was granted 20% off the MD5880N through the Academic Purchase Program on HPshopping.com. The website actually applied the discount dropping the price to $3199.99

I then call HPshopping.com to place the order at 5:00pm EST & am told the units are no longer in stock. The displays are produced 10 at a time and are selling like hot cakes and HPshopping is no longering honoring the 20% discounts for the 1080p (they do honor it for the 720p) even though their websitefor is still advertising it 20% 1080p. One salesman told to check back in a week for a restock, another salesman told me tomorow.

I am.... EXTREMELY disappointed.

Is this not fraud/bait and switch?!?! Arrgh!
post #385 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was granted 20% off the MD5880N through the Academic Purchase Program on HPshopping.com. The website actually applied the discount dropping the price to $3199.99

I then call HPshopping.com to place the order at 5:00pm EST & am told the units are no longer in stock. The displays are produced 10 at a time and are selling like hot cakes and HPshopping is no longering honoring the 20% discounts even though their website is still advertising it. The salesmen also told me the units will not be in stock for at LEAST another month or two.

I am.... EXTREMELY disappointed.

HP Shopping had previously posted that they will offer discounts on the units when they come back into stock in November. There has been sporatic changes in honoring and not honoring discounts in the past week. Some folks have called back HP Shopping at different times and found that they could order at a discount when a call a few days earlier could not. I would suggest some patience as HP was stunned at the demand that their discount programs would provide---and I guess it shows just how popular avsforum.com is since I was the one who first posted about the 20% fed employee discount and later the other discounts.

HP sells the sets to their employees at a 30% discount. Thus there is still sufficient profit margin in the sets at the other discounts (even with free shipping) to make a profit. I think HP would be very narrow-minded to have discount programs but cut off items permanently when they are popular. For HP to sell every set they can make-- even at a discount-- allows them to penetrate the home entertainment market much faster than they would have. That penetration alone has substantial future value to the company to sell additional products such as Blu-ray players or HTPC's in the coming year. Once they establish with the home-user community the quality and value of their product-- such as with these 1080p sets--many folks will not be concerned that their next home entertainment purchase is HP rather than Sony, JVC, Samsung, etc.

I hope HP will have the marketing sense to look long term at the value of gaining a rapid foothold-- especially among the MOST knowledgable consumers such as those that read this forum-- to keep their discount programs in place for valid purchasers.
post #386 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelevitt View Post

HP Shopping had previously posted that they will offer discounts on the units when they come back into stock in November.

Can you provide a link, please?
post #387 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx View Post

So you're comparing an old Samsung (HLM 720p model) to the new 1080p HP and saying the picture is better on the HP under some conditions? Not a resounding endorsement.

Then you go on to say this 1080p HP needs a video processor for 4:3 formats.

Please tell me I'm wrong, and convince me to return my Samsung for this HP.

From the sounds of it I should be keeping the 1080p Samsung. Is the picture really that bad on the HP? The Samsung 1080p blows the doors off the HLM Samsung series.

I kinda want the 1080p HDMI input for my computer.

Someone please tell me Avidav is somewhat off base with his assessment.

Thanks

You're not reading all the threads. HP blows the Sammy away in 90% of PQ comparisons. It's only on the SD that I had higher expectations. The Sound and Vision I recieved yesterday rate s the Sony Quallia 1st, HP Mdxx80n's 2nd and SXRD 3rd. I wholeheartedly agree. Plus you can't minimize the value of 10,000+:1 contrast ratio on HP. Best value in a TV in 10yrs.
post #388 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 02:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv4 View Post

What ISF guy if you don't mind me asking?

"UMR",
He posts here in the AVS forums. Friendly guy & very patient when taking & answering questions from n0obs like me.

I hope to setup an appointment with him whenver he's back in the NYC area since he's from TX. He does AUDIO & VIDEO calibrations, so I will be having both calibrations done.

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #389 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelevitt View Post

HP Shopping had previously posted that they will offer discounts on the units when they come back into stock in November.

post #390 of 10898 Old 10-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just logged into the EPP site and they have removed the text that you have to wait until November to purchase the set. Here is an image of the top half of the page when logged into EPP. They are still advertising 20% off on the fed discount page so I can't imagine them cutting off the other groups. I think the tv's are just out of stock.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page