post #451 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk0r View Post

Can someone verify that HP will honor the 20% discount under the Employee Purchase Program specificaly for the MD5880n. Thanks

dk0r: Your signature reads "Pissed @ HP" yet you seem to want to buy their product. Why do you want to buy a product from a company that you're pi**ed at? Not only that, but you're inquiring about their employee purchase program. Are you really an HP employee?

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop View Post

dk0r: Your signature reads "Pissed @ HP" yet you seem to want to buy their product. Why do you want to buy a product from a company that you're pi**ed at? Not only that, but you're inquiring about their employee purchase program. Are you really an HP employee?

He's actually referring to the Government Employee program (20% discount)...not the HP Employee Discount program.
post #453 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 10:45 AM

I'm no photographer by far, and all I have is a pretty basic Sony Cybershot, but for what it's worth here's a pic of my desktop. The wallpaper is from digital blasphemy - it would look better but it's an 1156 X 864 image being stretched.

So for what it's worth, here it is.

Also here's a super close-up pic of a vertical line test pattern - you can easiy make out the diamond-shaped pixels.
LL
LL
post #454 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldan View Post

I'm no photographer by far, and all I have is a pretty basic Sony Cybershot, but for what it's worth here's a pic of my desktop. The wallpaper is from digital blasphemy - it would look better but it's an 1156 X 864 image being stretched.

So for what it's worth, here it is.

Also here's a super close-up pic of a vertical line test pattern - you can easiy make out the diamond-shaped pixels.

Wow! Bad uglee, Dude. Look like any sucka saddled with this set best get out da crying towel. Yecchh
post #455 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammiK View Post

Wow! Bad uglee, Dude. Look like any sucka saddled with this set best get out da crying towel. Yecchh

Please folks, ignore the troll...it will dry up and blow away if it isn't "fed."

Thanks...
post #456 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabillyhop View Post

dk0r: Not only that, but you're inquiring about their employee purchase program. Are you really an HP employee?

The Employee Purchase Program(EPP) is not limited to HP employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldan View Post

HP Desktop.jpg

Where did you get that background? Digital Blasphemy?
post #457 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 01:12 PM

Quote:

The Employee Purchase Program(EPP) is not limited to HP employees.

Correct. I am not an HP employee. My employer is a key partner so we get access to EPP pricing. I wish it was the 30% real employee discount, but 20% is still a great deal in my book. We love you HP!!!
post #458 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

He's actually referring to the Government Employee program (20% discount)...not the HP Employee Discount program.

The Fed employee discount site is also labled EPP.
post #459 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelevitt View Post

The Fed employee discount site is also labled EPP.

Sounds like we've run out of things to talk about. How about some input on what people are doing with the HP, TV set adjustment wise for SD PQ. I'm running coax directlly off splitter into cable jack. Have a Motorola HDTV broadband booster 25ft before input(this improves picture about 40%). Then brough contrast down to 32, raised brightness to 52, color saturation to 53, detail at 2 and turned noise reduction on to low Have done same thing for component input from DVD/HDD recorder for SD material. Produces nice smooth picture. Definately going to investigate video processors on AVS forum.
post #460 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 02:34 PM

Hi all,

As you can see this is my first post here but I have been reading this forum for a few weeks. I am very close to pulling the trigger on the 58" and have a couple of questions. You guys have a ton of useful information here, it's been really helpful.

I have seen this asked several times but haven't seen an answer yet so here we go: Does the digital out on the TV properly pass the 5.1 signal? If so does this mean no lip synch issues when connecting something through HDMI and then connecting the audio through the receiver from the digital out on the TV?

I also have another question. I have a several year old Sony DVD player (DVP-S360). Am I going to see a large improvement from an HDMI DVD player that will upconvert the signal? If so which HDMI DVD player is a good model and what are you owners of the HP using? I know this may be a little off topic for this forum but I am asking specifically to use with the HP 58" TV.

Thanks for all the help. Great forum.
post #461 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb333 View Post

Does the digital out on the TV properly pass the 5.1 signal?

Still waiting on an answer..

Quote:

If so does this mean no lip synch issues when connecting something through HDMI and then connecting the audio through the receiver from the digital out on the TV?

Dont quote me, but I would imagine so. If the digital out(audio) is comming from the TV then it should be sync'd with the video.

Quote:

I have a several year old Sony DVD player (DVP-S360). Am I going to see a large improvement from an HDMI DVD player that will upconvert the signal?

Yes. It will display your movies at 1920x1080 as opposed to the low resolution your current dvd player outputs. something around 470x___ (dont remember specific number)

Quote:

If so which HDMI DVD player is a good model and what are you owners of the HP using?

Dont ask me. You can spend $3-400 on a low grade 1080p DVD player and possiblly run into lip synch issues and have to purchase a device to fix this for $3-400 or you can go with an HTPC (home theater personal computer) which has no issues with DVD lip sync. With HTPC you also get tons of storage for recording shows as opposed to your providers DVR, internet capabilities, killer gaming, burning your recorded shows to DVD, and capabilities of a PC.

On the down side you cannot record HDTV on your HTPC, Only standard definition channels (assuming you have tuner card). The only way to record HDTV to your HTPC is via OTA (Over the Air [wireless HDTV]) which requires an antenna an the service be provided.

For me, HTPC is the way to go. You can spend near $1k on a standalone dvd, which ONLY plays dvds. Or you can spend $1500-2k on a bad ass AMD64 X2 4400+ 1MB CACHE, 7800GT OC in SLI mode HTPC. You're going to have to do some serious eBaying to do that price
Again, I'm going the HTPC route, assuming I get my 20% discount

[apologies for the grammar & sentence structures, im in a rush)
post #462 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx View Post

Could someone with the 1080p version please answer this question.

Does the television digital audio out properly pass 5.1 if present on the HDMI input?

Thanks

Also, As I'm sure you all know by now, I am enrolled in the APP with HPshopping, but how does one apply for EPP? I have a brother whos a State Trooper and family working for the state. I cannot find anyway to apply for EPP on their site. Thanks.
post #463 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I have a 2.66Ghz with 1Gb RAM, ATI X800XT, 350Gb of hard drive and Audigy 2 for sound. Anyone know if this is going to be good enough for an HTPC? How do I run the sound from the PC to the receiver?
post #464 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 02:59 PM

FYI for Miami Members
Brandsmart USA is carrying these sets, I am the proud owner of the 5880n model and will have it by Wednesday. I got it at a unbelieveable price so I would recommend anyone who is interested in this TV to check them out. If you do go there, haggle! You wouldn't believe the price difference from salesperson to salesperson!
post #465 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 04:36 PM

I just completed my first extensive viewing of SD content of svideo on my 5880n. The green tint is definitely still there. Is there an advanced menu we can get into to adjust gray levels perhaps?

I also noticed quite a bit lipsync (video delay) while watching a football game today. I suppose this means that similar to some of the other HDTV sets around (Samsung...) this set won't be a winner for svideo based gaming.

I hooked up my laptop via VGA and the set properly sync'd at both 1280x1024@60Hz and 1024x768@60Hz without issue. This looks every bit as good as the LCD panels on my desk.
post #466 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

Mine is on OOB settings, I think (I may have tweaked the red down slightly, can't remember now...haven't noticed any issues w/color or green specifically at all...

Just to make sure, I had a few people come and watch the set today without mentioned the green thing to them. They noticed fairly quickly also. Hmm .... maybe I just got a lemon.
post #467 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIDAV View Post

Sounds like we've run out of things to talk about. How about some input on what people are doing with the HP, TV set adjustment wise for SD PQ. I'm running coax directlly off splitter into cable jack. Have a Motorola HDTV broadband booster 25ft before input(this improves picture about 40%). Then brough contrast down to 32, raised brightness to 52, color saturation to 53, detail at 2 and turned noise reduction on to low Have done same thing for component input from DVD/HDD recorder for SD material. Produces nice smooth picture. Definately going to investigate video processors on AVS forum.

AVIDAV...good question...I haven't changed much of anything from the defaults.

I'll try your settings tonight and see how it looks, thanks for posting them. I have to say that aside from reds in "The Incredibles" looking a little too red (if you know what I mean) I haven't seen much that needs changing.
post #468 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrando View Post

Just to make sure, I had a few people come and watch the set today without mentioned the green thing to them. They noticed fairly quickly also. Hmm .... maybe I just got a lemon.

Yeah...you could have a lemon, what you're describing sounds a bit odd and hasn't been reported by any other owners of the set that have been posting here.

My wife is famously picky (and unfortunately for me sometimes, very direct). She loves the set, and doesn't see anything wrong w/the color...same w/my kids, the guys who delivered it (and hung out to watch it for a while), my neighbors who came over to see it, and a friend who is a serious home theater geek. I'm sure he wouldn't miss a problem that obvious if it existed, and as I noted I don't see anything like that.

You may want to talk to whomever sold it to you and/or HP support soon.
post #469 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I have a 2.66Ghz with 1Gb RAM, ATI X800XT, 350Gb of hard drive and Audigy 2 for sound. Anyone know if this is going to be good enough for an HTPC? How do I run the sound from the PC to the receiver?

Digital Optical Out or 1/8" Out (w/ adapters)

Read this thread --> CONFUSION HTPC to receiver how to?
post #470 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIDAV View Post

Avidav,

Please tell us more about this Motorola HDTV booster. What is the model #, where did you get it, and how much does it cost?

Thanks!
post #471 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, As I'm sure you all know by now, I am enrolled in the APP with HPshopping, but how does one apply for EPP? I have a brother whos a State Trooper and family working for the state. I cannot find anyway to apply for EPP on their site. Thanks.

DARRELLH: We really should put these links for the various HP discount programs at the front of this thread. I keep posting them but they're quickly buried in the thread:

FEDERAL GOVT:

http://government.hp.com/forms/epp.asp?agencyid=1

STATE & LOCAL GOVT:

http://government.hp.com/forms/epp.asp?agencyid=2

ACADEMIC PURCHASE PROGRAM:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h.../app_start.jsp
post #472 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would recommend you exchange the set ASAP if you're getting a color skew. No one else has reported it so it sounds like a defect. I think if it was inherent with the set, it would have been reported in the S&V technical review.
post #473 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 06:25 PM

dk0r - Yes the background is from Digital Blasphemy. I love their wallpapers.

gb333 - 2.66 Ghz is enough to do some video processing. I'm not sure whether you'll be able to resize to 1920 X 1080 with it, but you should be able to upscale dvd's to 1440 X 960 and get a quite nice picture at least.
post #474 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I just completed my first extensive viewing of SD content

I also noticed quite a bit lipsync (video delay) while watching a football game today. .

How were you getting your SD content - straight from cable or through a DVR?
Are you using an external 5.1 speaker system?
Have you noticed any audio delay on HD channels?
Have you tried any games yourself?
post #475 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 06:40 PM

Quote:

I also noticed quite a bit lipsync (video delay) while watching a football game today. I suppose this means that similar to some of the other HDTV sets around (Samsung...) this set won't be a winner for svideo based gaming.

I watched a very exciting Dallas Seattle game on HD Fox today and had no lip sync issues on my DLP. I was connected to my HD cable box via an HDMI cable.

How was your TV connected? HDMI? Composite cables? Coaxial cable? HD cable box? OTA (Over The Air) antenna? Standard Broadcast cable? Digital cable? Were you hooked up to a receiver?

DID THE TV PASS 5.1 ON TO YOUR RECEIVER????

So many questions. So many possible causes, however, I'm sure if you could tell me if your TV can pass Dolby 5.1 from the TV output to the receiver I can probably solve all the problems you might experience now, and in the future. :-)
post #476 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 06:42 PM

gb333 - 2.66 Ghz is enough to do some video processing. I'm not sure whether you'll be able to resize to 1920 X 1080 with it, but you should be able to upscale dvd's to 1440 X 960 and get a quite nice picture at least.[/quote]

reldan-

Thanks for the info. What software/ process do you use to upscale the picture? Or maybe you can point me to a forum topic where I can find out? I have looked around a bit but haven't seen anything spelling it all out. Unfortunately I have been super-busy with work.

I'm on the fence about whether to go the HTPC route or get an HDMI DVD player when I get the 58" HP. Will the HTPC route give me a better picture?

Thanks
post #477 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 06:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Question regarding the 2 HP models. From the PICs it appears the 5880n comes in all black, while thr 6580n comes with a 2 tone black & sliver color?

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #478 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The 1080p sets (MD6580n and MD5880n) are the same...black/black.

The 720p sets (MD5020n, MD5820n, etc.) are black/silver.

IMHO, the black/black is more aesthetically pleasing. PIctures do not do this set justice...it looks very, very cool in person.
post #479 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 06:49 PM

Danabw-

I'm leaning toward your tv stand solution. Is there a patent fee I'm going to owe you for the design?
post #480 of 10894 Old 10-23-2005, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hooked up my laptop via VGA and the set properly sync'd at both 1280x1024@60Hz and 1024x768@60Hz without issue. This looks every bit as good as the LCD panels on my desk.

Haven't seen any sync issues on any sources (HD, SD, DVD, VCR, VGA). I'm running 108i video from SA8000 DVR into TV via component, and sound from the SA8000 via digital optical to receiver.

When my SA8300 arrives, I'll run video/sound via HDMI to TV from SA8300, and digital audio out from TV to receiver.

Others have reported no delays w/gaming consoles in their testing w/these sets...you'd have to read through the thread to find those posts...

I have an old laptop hooked up to my TV for running iTunes on it...the display w/a "crummy" 1024x768 looks excellent - sharp and easy to read 15' away.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page