Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

Luckily my wife thinks the big, black, 65" behemoth is classy looking...

There's a comment I really want to make but I don't want to get banned so early in my posting career

Seriously though, just how bad is SD material on the HP?

I saw an early post that it looked surprisingly good but others that said it's not so good. Obviously it's not going to compare to HD material but it is a reality for some people and for some content that isn't in HD yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb333 View Post

Seriously though, just how bad is SD material on the HP?

I saw an early post that it looked surprisingly good but others that said it's not so good. Obviously it's not going to compare to HD material but it is a reality for some people and for some content that isn't in HD yet.

I'll let you know in less that 30 hours. I have Charter Communications and the HD service they offer. Obviously most of the channels on the 8300 DVR are actually SD channels and many of them suck even on a regular analog TV.
post #543 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 AM

My setup:

Everything's directly plugged into the TV, both video and audio, since I have no receiver.

HTPC (DVI-HDMI cable)
Cox Cable set-top (DVI-HDMI cable)
DVD (YPbPr component)
Xbox (YPbPr component)
VCR (basic analog)

Two things:

1. I've watched sports on ESPN HD, I've watched DVDs on my DVD player, played games on my Xbox, and played games on my HTPC, and I have noticed -zero- audio lag. On the Xbox, I pull the trigger, and the gun fires audibly like I expect it to. Please note that I mentioned that I do not currently own a receiver. However, I have my HTPC sending sound to external speakers and video to the TV and I'm not noticing lag there either; the feel of an intense action game on the HTPC is just as liquid and synchronized as it is for the Xbox.

2. SD material really, really varies depending on the channel and even the TV show. Some channels/programs are virtually indistinguishable from DVD output. I was watching the Biography channel; they were playing a Sherlock Holmes marathon (the "good" series... you know, the one with Jeremy Brett in the lead role. Accept no substitutes). Even for SD, it was very, very good. Others, however, are far inferior. EWTN (the Catholic channel), for example, is absolutely atrocious. The quality of the source material is such a huge variable.

The HP displays do have a noise reduction feature and other settings that might help improve the picture, but to tell you the truth, I haven't been bothered enough by the bad quality of only *some* channels to want to spend a lot of time fine-tuning the set for watching SD.

To be honest, I'm more perturbed with ABC-HD, CBS-HD, NBC-HD, and Fox-HD broadcasting more SD content than HD content than I am with certain SD channels looking like crap.

I'm also getting tired of the endless reruns of Erin Brokovich.

HP MD5880n (58" 1080p DLP) HDTV
post #544 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 12:03 PM

Thanks Steve-

You answered many of my questions. I'm not sure if I'm going to hook up my PC to the 58" when I get it but I will be getting an Xbox 360 and would hate to get it home and find it lags badly. It should be the same as regular Xbox since they will be both us 720p and 1080i. Sorry to hear about the Erin Brokovich...
post #545 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

In the Notes section at the bottom of the page:

- The digital audio output on the TV sends Dolby Digital surround sound only when you are viewing a source connected to an antenna, cable, or HDMI input and only if the program contains surround sound. Otherwise the digital audio output sends digital stereo sound.

So the explicit statement is there in the docs. I know we're a "trust no-one" group a lot of the time, however.

Thank you much.
post #546 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the HP 1080p sets are HDCP compliant? Apparently that's the HDMI copy protection that the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players will use. Thanks.

Yes all HDMI is HDCP compliant--the old sets with just DVI could be either compliant or not.

Roy

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home---Navigator ver.-- 6.1.0_5
Desert Cities CA

post #547 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve's assessement of SD matches mine...ranges widely depending on the source, from surprisingly good to a bit icky. Luckily the channels where it's icky for me aren't ones I really watch. Overall, I'm fine w/the SD display on this set. It's a just a tick below the SD display on my last set (Panny 60" RP LCD), but RP LCDs are known for superior SD display.

I can't do a side-by-side, but I have a friend w/a recent Sammy DLP, and SD on my HP appears superior to his.

I also haven't played w/the noise reduction for the same reasons Steve notes.
post #548 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Thanks Steve-

You answered many of my questions. I'm not sure if I'm going to hook up my PC to the 58" when I get it but I will be getting an Xbox 360 and would hate to get it home and find it lags badly. It should be the same as regular Xbox since they will be both us 720p and 1080i. Sorry to hear about the Erin Brokovich...

In the Xbox control panel, it asks whether your TV supports 720p and 1080i. Odd, seeing how I've never seen any games for the (original) Xbox that fit either of these formats.

Is it because I don't play sports games or racing games?

post #549 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john stephens View Post

xxrand,

Are you trolling? So far there has been quite a bit of useful information shared on this thread by experienced members. You, meanwhile, are causing a lot of useless distractions. Quite an achievement for someone with a mere 14 posts. I don't think anyone here can learn anything useful from someone who buys a big screen HDTV and focuses on S/video performance. If you are not satisfied with the TV, why don't you return it for a new set or another technology?

1) Are you for real? S video is a very commonly used input (especially playstion 2 users) and color tint on that input is an important trait for many, don't be a video snob. I for one am glad to hear his updates since I have a couple of devices which use S Video

2) A person's post total has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the value of that person's posts. In fact, many times the people with 1000's of posts make the worst comments.

3) Finally, just because a person is negative does not mean they are trolling, yes even if they are posting something negative about a product you are drooling over. Trolling is when a person makes a post meant to only stir up worthless arguments. XXrandos posts were all objective and helpful despite being negative, and not trolling. In fact your post is the one that looks like a troll posted it.

Sorry, but someone needs to stand up for the new posters. Just because a person has fewer posts or joined recently, does not on its face make their contributions less valuable.
post #550 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTiilikainen View Post

In the Xbox control panel, it asks whether your TV supports 720p and 1080i. Odd, seeing how I've never seen any games for the (original) Xbox that fit either of these formats.

Is it because I don't play sports games or racing games?

Yeah, there are quite a few games that support 720p and 1080i. Many are sports games though like you said. Many others also support widescreen.
post #551 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 12:57 PM

Fortunately the Xbox 360 will be all widescreen and all either 720p or 1080i. Should look real nice on the HP.
post #552 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgordon333 View Post

1) Are you for real? S video is a very commonly used input (especially playstion 2 users) and color tint on that input is an important trait for many, don't be a video snob.

Playstation2 users need to get http://www.us.playstation.com/periph...id=SCPH-10100U. It's a $20 upgrade for a $3000+ HDTV.

I can't imagine SOCOM 3 without it.
post #553 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelevitt View Post

Actually, I looked at those pages again. The items unfortunately are listed in order of MSRP pricing not quality rating. So the HP is listed higher than the SXRD because it costs more. (Doesn't mean its not better-- but that's not the focus of these pages.)

Forget the Qualia for a moment(unquestionably best PQ especially if you take 70in screen into account). The 65" HP has a screen 80%+ bigger than SXRD and w/discounts can also be had for $4k. If you read full review you'll see that reviewer at least as enthusiastic about HP as SXRD(and in fact compares HP directly to Qualia PQ directly) Additionaly, anybody looking to future, the SXRD's minuses can be pretty large(and whats w/no strength meter).
post #554 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

Mine as well. Does this TV really sound that good?

Yes it does< I'm using music mode for all but heasvy action thing then using movie mode which uses surround fully.
post #555 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Since this sounds so good ...

Is there a way to assign the internal speakers as an "input" from your receiver to use them as a "center" channel? It would be GREAT not to have a huge center channel.
post #556 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 02:38 PM

Does anyone else note that Windows XP detects the 5880 as a 5020?

DarrellH, it's a small thing, but you might want to add this to the issues list.

Also, does anyone know which models come with CableCARD slots built-in and which do not? How do I tell?

Thanks!

post #557 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

Is there a way to assign the internal speakers as an "input" from your receiver to use them as a "center" channel? It would be GREAT not to have a huge center channel.

I don't see why you couldn't just connect the center channel of your receiver to the audio input for the TV, and set your TV to mono mode. Disclaimer: I am not a TV tech-head; computers, on the other hand...

post #558 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:

If you have a pre-out on your receiver (otherwise the signal would be amplified twice) then that should work. It would make it a little harder to set all the speaker levels and it wouldn't timbre match your other speakers but it should be okay. Wonder if setting the TV speakers to mono would cut the subwoofer in the TV off or not?
post #559 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

YOu could make it mono with one of those reverse Y cables
post #560 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

YOu could make it mono with one of those reverse Y cables

Now there's a man who knows how to wire!
post #561 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Any progress on this issue?

Hughes HR10-250 DirecTV/DVR: reportedly has PQ issues over HDMI. Component works great. Being investigated.

I am curious to see what issues have been experienced with the HR-10 250 and whether or not they are isolated cases or something more?

Thank you!
post #562 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 04:18 PM

Ken Cranes in Westminister CA have the 58 and 65 inch in today. Will visit tomorrow.

They ran a full page add in todays LA Times, showing the Display. They are the only ones in this area that will carry HP and listed HpShopping also.Dont know how long they will be the only retailer.

Ray
post #563 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 PM

Just want to say a buddy of mine came over to watch football yesterday and he was completely floored by the PQ. He said "wow, it almost looks 3D". The HD picture is absolutely stunning.
post #564 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 04:41 PM

FYI, the HP 1080p sets are in stock at Crutchfield now. I know because I just bought one

ST
post #565 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Does the digital-audio-out properly pass 5.1 if present on the HDMI input?

Unfortunately, I could not get this to work. I tried both HDMI on the STB playing a movie that was supposedly 5.1 and I could only get PCM 2 channel.

Same with an HDMI connected DVD player... I hope I did something wrong but in the case of the DVD player, I can't see how I could have

I'll keep poking around but I'm a little discouraged at this point.
post #566 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

flashgordon333

There is no shortage of of monitors and ollder TVs that do an excellent job with S Video. Again if that's the universe of your future usage, then why upgrade? As to the trolling, I made no accusation, I asked a simple question.
Again I say, there is a long list of useful stuff to be learned on this thread. S video behavior is not high on that list.
post #567 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTiilikainen View Post

Does anyone else note that Windows XP detects the 5880 as a 5020?

DarrellH, it's a small thing, but you might want to add this to the issues list.

Also, does anyone know which models come with CableCARD slots built-in and which do not? How do I tell?

Thanks!

I think this is a Windows issue. I should load up a copy of Windows VISTA that I'm betatesting on a laptop and connect it to the set and see if it knows what it is. But I'm not yet ready to connect.
post #568 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:

gb333 - 2.66 Ghz is enough to do some video processing. I'm not sure whether you'll be able to resize to 1920 X 1080 with it, but you should be able to upscale dvd's to 1440 X 960 and get a quite nice picture at least.

reldan-

Thanks for the info. What software/ process do you use to upscale the picture? Or maybe you can point me to a forum topic where I can find out? I have looked around a bit but haven't seen anything spelling it all out. Unfortunately I have been super-busy with work.

I'm on the fence about whether to go the HTPC route or get an HDMI DVD player when I get the 58" HP. Will the HTPC route give me a better picture?

Thanks[/quote]

Received this post elsewhere ? on this thread?.
Zoomplayer is shareware which costs $20 for a full license. DScaler is a free DVD decoder which is considered by many to have the best quality of any out there, free or not. FFDShow is a magical program which is also free and allows users to do amazing amounts of real-time post-processing on video - such as upscaling, sharpening, and noise reduction.
Have not had time to study or learn where to get software.
post #569 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx View Post

An expensive High Def DVD player (when they're ever released) will only do 1080i. Your TV will still have to convert that signal to 1080p.

Just to share;
NeuNeo HVD2085 High Definition DVD Player has 1080p and HDMI interface for $245.

Have no idea how it compares to DVD via PC w. proper software.
post #570 of 10889 Old 10-24-2005, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post

Does the digital-audio-out properly pass 5.1 if present on the HDMI input?

Unfortunately, I could not get this to work. I tried both HDMI on the STB playing a movie that was supposedly 5.1 and I could only get PCM 2 channel.

Same with an HDMI connected DVD player... I hope I did something wrong but in the case of the DVD player, I can't see how I could have

I'll keep poking around but I'm a little discouraged at this point.

That's not good to hear Is this really a big issue though if you could hook up the sound direct through a receiver instead of the TV to the receiver? Or would that route maybe introduce some lip synch issues?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page