post #6061 of 10894 Old 03-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy8 View Post

I still need some help in regards to firmware, is the only way I can get it from HP or can I download it somewhere?

Here are my specs and versions Mac Oracle:
Series: MD5880
Serial: CNK5415273
Maufacturing Date: 2005.10
PW Version: 09Sep2005D23
MTV 512 Version: 05.09.06.00.18
DTV SW Version: 10909
USB Version: 00.10
VGA EDID Version: BLANK (Should I be worried?)
HDMI Version: BLANK (Should I be worried?)

Since I don't have any of the major problems described here (my speakers don't hum in the slightest, and I can't hear the internal fan at all) maybe I should hold off on the firmware upgrade...I was just hoping it would fix the syncing problem I'm having with my HTPC.

About the only major beef I have right now is that the TV takes a significant amount of time to warm up and actually display a picture (approximately 40-60 seconds from a cold start, but when you are waiting it feels like 5 minutes).

The firmware is highly recommended, it will fix your pc connection issues by giving you EDID info that you say you do not have and it will not cause any other problems that you are afraid of. 40-60 seconds to turn on might get fixed by the firmware too but probably not. But that does seem to long for it to start up. Oh yah... and the files for the firmware have been posted a couple times on the thread now but might be taken off by administrators by now, you should call hp for one or send in your registration card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 10894 Old 03-01-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalydimide View Post

All right fellas, here is a new source for the HP firmware (at least until HP finally figures out how to post it on their site!). My package includes an sfv to verify the firmware zip as well as a scan of the original instructions sent by HP.

HP_Firmware.zip

Here, I'll quote myself posting the latest firmware. Have at it.
post #6063 of 10894 Old 03-01-2006, 11:40 PM

Just got my MD5880 today and I am loving the picture. I have been following this post closely before buying and I can report no speaker hum or color wheel noise. I previously had the Sony SXRD with the green glob and am enjoying the HP much more. However I do have two minor issues I was hoping you all could help me out with.

1. Hooking up HDMI Input #1 to my Directv HD-DVR I get video but no audio! I had to connect to HDMI Input #2 for now with the extra audio cable attached. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this an issue with the Directv HD-DVR? Is this something the firmware update may fix?

2. Can't find codes for programming the Directv Remote to control tv or codes for the HP remote to control the box? Is this even possible with this combination or must I look into a harmony remote etc.? Any reccomendations on remotes?

Also just noticed some pincusioning as well but doesn't bother me too much...

thanks for your time and help!!!
post #6064 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonus View Post

OK, after having tested both cable and OTA channel surfing, I have not had the sound cut out when switching between channels using the remote. And sound works fine as well when switching between inputs. So far, everything I have noticed to this point is either the same or improved.

Darkonus, thanks for the report. It brings up another question though... Are you using the TV's speakers? I'm not, I'm using the coax digital out to my lexicon processor...and now I'm wondering if it isn't the *sound* that is cutting out, but the coax digital out that is cutting out.

When I get home tonight I'll turn the speakers back on in addition to the coax out and see if I lose both, or just the coax out. Has anyone else tried this? I'm wondering if I should do a factory reset, and if that fails, maybe try re-doing the firmware upgrade.

Thanks again.
-Kevin
post #6065 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 07:30 AM

Thanks for thje firmware link Thalydimide..I searched through the thread and couldn't find it.

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
post #6066 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 07:54 AM

Look in Thalydimide's quote, there is a link embeded that take you to the download site.

P
post #6067 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 AM

jstepy - I also have the MD5880N and use HDMI1 with the HR10-250 DVR and it worked right from the start. check your audio setup in the DVR, or you may have a bad HDMI cable.

P
post #6068 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post

Darkonus, thanks for the report. It brings up another question though... Are you using the TV's speakers?

I'm wondering if I should do a factory reset, and if that fails, maybe try re-doing the firmware upgrade.

Thanks again.
-Kevin

Correct, I am using only the TV speakers when watching through the internal tuners, as my only other speaker system is for the HTPC that is connected to the TV.

I believe doing a Factory Reset is something that you should definitely try first.

Epox 9NPA Ultra|AMDÂ Athlon 64 3700+|2GB PC3200|ATI X850XT|Audigy 2 ZS|FHDTV 3 Gold-Q|XP Pro SP2|MOT 3416 DVR|Comcast Sellersville area
post #6069 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 09:42 AM

Well, the HP contracted repair guy is putting the TV back together now after replacing one rather large fan the goes a bit to the left of the center of the TV -- that's the left if you are looking from the BACK.

Changing the fan had no effect on the hum problem. The TV is still too noisy for me, and almost certainly beyond the 29dbA maximum output spec that HP publishes.

The repair man recommended putting the TV on a surge protector. Umm hmm.

I'll talk to HP again and see what happens next.

-Casey
post #6070 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstepy View Post

Just got my MD5880 today and I am loving the picture. I have been following this post closely before buying and I can report no speaker hum or color wheel noise. I previously had the Sony SXRD with the green glob and am enjoying the HP much more. However I do have two minor issues I was hoping you all could help me out with.

1. Hooking up HDMI Input #1 to my Directv HD-DVR I get video but no audio! I had to connect to HDMI Input #2 for now with the extra audio cable attached. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this an issue with the Directv HD-DVR? Is this something the firmware update may fix?

2. Can't find codes for programming the Directv Remote to control tv or codes for the HP remote to control the box? Is this even possible with this combination or must I look into a harmony remote etc.? Any reccomendations on remotes?

Also just noticed some pincusioning as well but doesn't bother me too much...

thanks for your time and help!!!

the #1 promplem you wrote will be due to the firmware
its the problem alot are having and updating the firmware will fix this

check in your setting if you have anything beside your hdmi
if its blank this is why you have no sound over hdmi
post #6071 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseystone View Post

Well, the HP contracted repair guy is putting the TV back together now after replacing one rather large fan the goes a bit to the left of the center of the TV -- that's the left if you are looking from the BACK.

Changing the fan had no effect on the hum problem. The TV is still too noisy for me, and almost certainly beyond the 29dbA maximum output spec that HP publishes.

The repair man recommended putting the TV on a surge protector. Umm hmm.

I'll talk to HP again and see what happens next.

-Casey

So, do you believe the majority of the noise you still hear coming from the set is from the speaker hum, or rather from the light-engine?

I was supposed to only have the light-engine replaced tomorrow, but no tech has contacted me over the last week to confirm they even have the part to do the replacement. After just getting off the phone with HP support, it looks like I will be waiting for a call at some future point in time from a tech, as they are still experiencing some BO problems with the part.

I have decided to go out and purchase a sound meter from Radio Shack to record the loudness levels of my md6580n. Even though my scheduled tech visit is to replace the light-engine only, I am going to have them disconnect the speakers so we can really discern fully whether the speakers actually contribute to the very noticeable noise I can hear from over 9ft away from the set, or if it doesn't. I know I can hear the speaker hum from a foot or two, but I don't really believe it is what I am hearing at 9ft. I will have them do this prior to replacing the old light-engine, so I can then get good comparison recording levels of before and after replacing the light-engine, and before and after disconnecting the speakers.

Other than that, I guess it's back to the old waiting game until the tech calls and informs me that they have the replacement part ... I hope it doesn't take as long as the USB flash drive, as I sent my HP registration card into HP way back on Dec 12th ... then followed up with a tech call to open up a ticket on about Jan 16th (and also re-registered AGAIN online as I was informed I should do so by the tech) ... then I called again on about Feb 7th ... still no USB drive came ... finally called and complained again on Feb 22nd, and finally received the flash drive just the other day.

Epox 9NPA Ultra|AMDÂ Athlon 64 3700+|2GB PC3200|ATI X850XT|Audigy 2 ZS|FHDTV 3 Gold-Q|XP Pro SP2|MOT 3416 DVR|Comcast Sellersville area
post #6072 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy8 View Post

I still need some help in regards to firmware, is the only way I can get it from HP or can I download it somewhere?

Here are my specs and versions Mac Oracle:
Series: MD5880
Serial: CNK5415273
Maufacturing Date: 2005.10
PW Version: 09Sep2005D23
MTV 512 Version: 05.09.06.00.18
DTV SW Version: 10909
USB Version: 00.10
VGA EDID Version: BLANK (Should I be worried?)
HDMI Version: BLANK (Should I be worried?)

Since I don't have any of the major problems described here (my speakers don't hum in the slightest, and I can't hear the internal fan at all) maybe I should hold off on the firmware upgrade...I was just hoping it would fix the syncing problem I'm having with my HTPC.

About the only major beef I have right now is that the TV takes a significant amount of time to warm up and actually display a picture (approximately 40-60 seconds from a cold start, but when you are waiting it feels like 5 minutes).

Interestingly, your ser# is only about 25 units diff than mine, so conceivably built same place/shift, everything...mine with buzz, yours without...doesn't look like anything will be learned from the build.

Spoke with HP this morn...this particular rep affirms what others have also indicated A) firmware will NOT remedy the speaker buzz ...and B) techs are not satisfying any service calls to attend to the problem at this time as they have no viable solution (ie they don't know what's wrong)

Sounds like they are prodding away on guinea pigs internally for the moment...

Also, follow up with them (or monitor AVS news) as I am pretty concern that they are not tracking this well enough for there to be any contact back to the owners who have complained once solution is found...similarly, any case# you may have had, might have auto-closed due to inactivity (special)

On a brighter note...they are among us...when I indicated I'd been following an owners forum for current affairs, he immediately knew it was AVS and said that many of the CS and tech reps are regular visitors...I would not be surprised if there were to be an informal announcement HERE, once situation either is resolved or (heaven forbid) worsens !!

guess I'll be cranking up the volume trying to drown out the dog whistle for the next while.

ENJOY...Mike
post #6073 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonus View Post

So, do you believe the majority of the noise you still hear coming from the set is from the speaker hum, or rather from the light-engine?

I was supposed to only have the light-engine replaced tomorrow, but no tech has contacted me over the last week to confirm they even have the part to do the replacement. After just getting off the phone with HP support, it looks like I will be waiting for a call at some future point in time from a tech, as they are still experiencing some BO problems with the part.

I have decided to go out and purchase a sound meter from Radio Shack to record the loudness levels of my md6580n. Even though my scheduled tech visit is to replace the light-engine only, I am going to have them disconnect the speakers so we can really discern fully whether the speakers actually contribute to the very noticeable noise I can hear from over 9ft away from the set, or if it doesn't. I know I can hear the speaker hum from a foot or two, but I don't really believe it is what I am hearing at 9ft. I will have them do this prior to replacing the old light-engine, so I can then get good comparison recording levels of before and after replacing the light-engine, and before and after disconnecting the speakers.

Other than that, I guess it's back to the old waiting game until the tech calls and informs me that they have the replacement part ... I hope it doesn't take as long as the USB flash drive, as I sent my HP registration card into HP way back on Dec 12th ... then followed up with a tech call to open up a ticket on about Jan 16th (and also re-registered AGAIN online as I was informed I should do so by the tech) ... then I called again on about Feb 7th ... still no USB drive came ... finally called and complained again on Feb 22nd, and finally received the flash drive just the other day.

Hello Darkonus:

I'll be very interested to hear if your light engine replacement helps.

I posted this several pages back, but let me mention again that I did a test to determine if the speakers were a main source of the noise. The test is simply to turn off the set and see if the noise continues during the cool-down cycle. The speakers shut off right away when you power off the set, so that noise would stop.

On my set, 95% of the noise continues so I know it's not the speakers. My speakers do hum/buzz when I put my ear up to them, but it's not loud, and it's not what is filling my room with hum. I'd say my set is as loud as a fairly quiet refrigerator.

Also, you may want to check the specs on the sound meter. I have a Radio Shack analog sound meter, but the minimum level it reads is like 50 or 60db. So that wouldn't be too helpful. I was recently working at a studio which had a big old sound meter (looked like a geiger counter) which read down to 20db. Looked expensive though.

Keep posting your findings! Thanks.

-Casey
post #6074 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Has anyone returned a t.v. to TVA for a refund after the 30 day period? I just recently started seeing rainbows on this t.v. and hopefully im not stuck with it. Its in excellent condition no problems at all.
post #6075 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Also, you may want to check the specs on the sound meter. I have a Radio Shack analog sound meter, but the minimum level it reads is like 50 or 60db. So that wouldn't be too helpful. I was recently working at a studio which had a big old sound meter (looked like a geiger counter) which read down to 20db. Looked expensive though.

-Casey

Well, I guess the cheap meter still helps if the noise is > 50db
post #6076 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 12:58 PM

I really doubt the speaker hum would be fixed with a firmware upgrade, from the info I've read on the forum, it sounds more and more like an inconsistent manufacturing defect. I feel fortunate taht I don't have it, and feel bad for all you gents who do. Really puts a damper on this otherwise FANTASTIC diplay.

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
post #6077 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Hello Darkonus:

Keep posting your findings! Thanks.

-Casey

You know, I started thinking the same thing as far as the meter was concerned, but in doing just a little bit of research, all I could find in at least a reasonable price range that looked as though the quality may be decent as well, were meters that would measure only as low as 30dB.

If anyone knows where to get a decent meter that can measure at 20dB, or at least lower than 30dB, please PM me or post here, thanks. I'd be willing to spend as much as $100-$150 if necessary, as I actually had thought of purchasing one many times over for the last few years anyway.

post #6078 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma View Post

I found something pretty odd on my new set that I got in... pretty wierd to say the truth. If ya'll remember I was the one that was having the ghosting problem. So i get my new TV in and it's great... then i see ghosting... I say ****... this has to be something on my end then. So I tried 10 different hdmi cables on ten different sources. All have some ghosting. So I then tried everything I could w/ the setup of the TV. Brightness down up... contrast down up... blah blah blah... until i come to "NOISE REDUCTION" it seems this was doing the ghosting... so if anyone could test this out and see if it is just my 2 tv's which would seem very unlikely, or if it is another fault of the TV. It could be seen on darker objects on white backrounds moving around...

The best place to notice it is in Ice Age on the first chapter when the squirell is chasing the acorn, when he wags his tail everywhere on the snowy white backround... it stays there when the Noise Reduction is set to high... so if you could try this one again Danbw for me plz, thank ya

Interesting. I've got that DVD, and I can test it out with both HDMI and Component (wonder if the noise reduction is different with different inputs). I know so far, I've been happier with the DVD playback out of my hacked Xbox doing 1080i output over component cables than out of my HTPC doing full 1080p upsampling over DVI->HDMI.

-JM
post #6079 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 03:56 PM

Hi everyone. I've been all over the web and have seen about 9 billion different calculations for viewing distance, but I'd like to know what people who own this set actually think.

a) how far do you sit from it?
b) what is the closest you feel comfortable sitting?

Thanks in advance!
post #6080 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

8ft from my 58" and thats the closest i can be comftorably on dvd's... hdtv is like 5ft comfy level. I usaully sit 8-9 ft away and it's awsome.
post #6081 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolala View Post

I'm really not anxious to lose the better part of my 30 day return waiting on my firmware update when most (if not ALL) indications are that it will NOT correct the speaker noise. If a subsequent service appt has any wait time and they in turn happen to try to suggest it's within any tolerable level then where will I be ?!?!

Also, either my problem has worsened or I was not as perceptive initially. I now also hear a fairly loud pop/thud about 12 seconds into power up and again immediately upon power down (this is with internal speakers OFF and no other AV equipment powered up)...same kind of sound you'd hear when you connect spkr/subwoofer cables and didn't turn down the volume low enough.

Mike, firmware will NOT resolve speaker hum/buzz issues.

My second set has the same thump sound just as you describe. I tried sound disabled and turned down and neither had any effect. I am working with an HP case manager who arranged the exchange of my first set for this one and he is now coordinating service. He said he received a return email from a technician who said this problem was probably caused by the mainboard and not the subwoofer. (He was going to replace the sub). They think it is a problem with the board not initializing the speaker system properly. No one else has reported this issue, so I thought mine was an anomoly.
post #6082 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomass View Post

Hi everyone. I've been all over the web and have seen about 9 billion different calculations for viewing distance, but I'd like to know what people who own this set actually think.

Thanks in advance!

10 ft from my 6580. Love it.
post #6083 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

I sit 14 feet back and the 5880 is great. Could not fit a 65 inch in.

Ray
post #6084 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 07:06 PM

Hi all. Have had my 5880 for nearly 3 weeks. Unit is great, however, flashing the firmware on my unit did disable the digital coax output if you turn off the internal speakers. It's no big deal, since you can always keep the internal speakers turned all the way down, but it worked fine until firmware update. The only other thing that I have noticed is that sometimes, after I switch back to either tuner from another input the unit comes onto channel 1 for cable or channel 4 off the antenna, both of which are deleted channels.

Quick other question, my unit didn't come with a warrany card, so I registered online... Will i still get the official HP USB key?

Scott
post #6085 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

I sit 11 feet away from my 65" Much closer and I end up moving my eyes or head to see everything which brings the occasional rainbow.
post #6086 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 09:25 PM

Well my firmware upgrade to .12 went smooth. Didn'ty appear to "break" anything, and fixed my HTPC sync issue.

I sit 9' from my 5880 which is great for HD content, a little too close for extended SD viewing.

post #6087 of 10894 Old 03-02-2006, 09:48 PM

I sit 9' from the 6580. HD content is perfect. SD acceptable. With this set, I think, the minimum distance is governed not by picture resolution, but whether or not you have to pan your head to view it. If you do, then you're probably too close. Anything closer than 8' for the 65" may be tiring after awhile. I'd certainly recommend getting the largest size that will fit your room.

Phil

"Experts ranked in serried rows
Filled the enormous plaza full,
But only one is there who knows
And he's the one who fights the bull."
post #6088 of 10894 Old 03-03-2006, 04:29 AM

I swore that I'd never get a rear projection TV because I never liked the low viewing angles. But the reviews of this set were so great, I had to start thinking about it. My company does a lot of business with HP, so I was eligible for the 20% discount. I just took delivery a few days ago and it looks great. The picture is phenomenal. Even SD looks great. And the viewing angle issue is a non-issue. It looks fine from any angle in my room.

I tried the Harmony 520 but it proved too difficult to program. Even after the HP firmware upgrade, I still couldn't get it to switch to the right input. I don't have the patience for tech support, so I tried a Universal URC-100 that I already had. Within 20 minutes I was able to get it to switch to the proper inputs without using discrete codes. You just have to be willing to keep the remote pointing at the TV for 7 seconds.
post #6089 of 10894 Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 AM

I tried to update the firmware to .12 about a month ago. It flashed for over an hour, so I unplugged the power cord, let the set cool, and plugged it back in again. It would not read my flash drive afterwards.

Now, each time I turn on the TV, it attempts to power up, then the red lights flash on either side. The TV will not turn on. The set would not read the old firmware either.

I've been playing phone and e-mail tag for a month with HP now. I don't know if they will replace the set or send out a tech to fix it. I keep asking and they keep stalling.

Any one have any further suggestions on a solution? I've tried the factory reset...doesn't work. I've re-seated the lamp module...doesn't work.

Thanks for the help...I'd really like my TV to work for March Madness
post #6090 of 10894 Old 03-03-2006, 08:06 AM

First of all, thanks to everyone on this post for educating me. I finally pulled the trigger on the sucker and got it delivered earlier this week. Overall it looks great, but I do have the white line at the top when watching some non-HD stuff and sometimes it creeps in on the right-side as well. No real speaker hum or whining problems (I can somewhat hear it, but it's not distracting at all). The white line is the major thing that bothers me right now.

I know there was a post a while ago about what things to check out for (i.e., sound over HDMI - which I will do today, white line, etc) but I can't remember what else there was. Can someone please post again (or PM me)?

Also, there was no registration card in my box. Is there another way I can register my set? I want to get the new firmware and I'm pretty sure this one still has the old one. By the way, is there a quick way to check for that.

I just want to make sure that everything is cool before my 21-day window just in case there is something that really bothers me that cannot be fixed. But, overall I love the set.

Thanks,
SC
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page