The Official HP Pavilion 1080P DLP Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HaloBox,

Half Life 2 on the HP sounds like gaming nirvana, I can only imagine what a 65" deathmatch would be like. I am looking to upgrade from my Mits 55" RPTV that only supports HD (1080i) via component or RGBH/V (only one input) and these HP's have REALLY got my interest with their friendliness for gamers and of course the incredibly beautiful pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

Very successful, but I'm sure they'd prefer to have it in more stores as well...likely they released it a bit too late to make the fall retail purchase period....

You'd be surprised... Most direct sales models are hindered by independent vendors. I think you are right that hp would love to these in the big stores though. I don't think the direct sales model works as well with large items that are expensive to ship! Especially when there are more moving parts than, say, a laptop
post #723 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Regarding HD content...if you have basic cable you should already have local HD channels...ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and PBS...cable companies are required to carry them unencrypted w/their basic cable package...a page or so back in this thread someone quoted a post of mine on this subject from another thread.

Charter Communications isn't doing it here. Do you have a link to the FCC rule. I'll be happy to report them.
post #724 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I think the biggest problem faced by HP as far as selling the new 1080p will be the lack of dealers carrying the product, at least out here in the western states. Can anybody list the major B&M,s where this set can be seen in Phoenix for instance?

I posted this earlier in the thread but I'll repeat it here. Maybe we should put this info in the first post in the thread as useful to everyone.

"HP took out a new full-page ad for the 65" set in the November Sound & Vision. At the bottom of the ad, its says you can see (buy?) the set at these retailers:

Good Guys
J&R Music Store
Nebraska Furniture Mart
BrandsMart USA
PC Richard
HPShopping.Com"
post #725 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:19 PM

wow this thread has grown so long, but these HP sets are STILL not available in Canada yet, sigh.
post #726 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post

Actually, I think the direct sales approach has been proven to be very successful. This is a computer company trying to make in-roads into the entertainment market. Look how well Dell does with direct sales.

hp is attempting to overcome the problem of "sight unseen" by offering a 21 day satisfaction return policy where they pick up the tab on shipping. I saw no downside to ordering the set. They even shipped it to me for free

Oh, and, I've never seen a set at a B&M that looked worth a damn anyway. I have to go to a HT specialty store to appraise a set.

I would concur on the fact that most B&M's have their sets set up like crap. Frequently you can't put in a DVD that you bring in to watch some material you are familiar with-- only at the high-end speciality stores. The only benefit of the B&M's is if they have the item on sale or you want to see the general physical appearance of the tv body. A few friends have come over to my house to look at the HP even though its not hooked up and they're waiting to buy as soon as the product appears on the HP site. To me the only accurate way to judge the product is through professional reviews and then user-owner comments.
post #727 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Added retailers selling hp sets as found in the hp ad in Sound and Vision Magazine.
post #728 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldan View Post

The beauty of this set is that you can go into the user settings Picture->Advanced Color->DVI Color and toggle between Default (16-239) and PC (0-255). No muss, no fuss, works perfectly.

Finally someone understands what users need.

Looking for these in Canada.

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #729 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Added retailers selling hp sets as found in the hp ad in Sound and Vision Magazine.

Darrell-- while they weren't listed in the ad, you should also add to your front post Crutchfield-- http://www.crutchfield.com

I just checked their site and the sets are in stock (no discount though).
post #730 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT View Post

I think Crutchfield would ship to Canada.
post #731 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelevitt View Post

Darrell-- while they weren't listed in the ad, you should also add to your front post Crutchfield-- http://www.crutchfield.com

I just checked their site and the sets are in stock (no discount though).

I must be 1/2 asleep tonight-- you should add TV Authority as well-- http://www.tvauthority.com as a supplier of these sets. They usually do an AVS Group Buy discount.
post #732 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT View Post

I looked on http://www.hp.ca/ and you are right that it appears they aren't available in Canada. I wonder why? Did you call?
post #733 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloBox View Post

Charter Communications isn't doing it here. Do you have a link to the FCC rule. I'll be happy to report them.

Actually, I believe I do...I'll find and post more information here later.

Are you sure they aren't doing it? I assume you've scanned for digital channels and not found them, and your set has ATSC/QAM tuners built in?
post #734 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloBox View Post

Copied this from ? this thread? ? a few weeks ago?? Sorry best I have.

Quote:
Federal regulations require them to place all over-the-air television which they rebroadcast in their basic services tier and prohibit them from encrypting anything in their basic services tier. This is to allow people buy equipment to tune basic cable without leasing anything from the cable company.

If Charter also encrypts in my Hollis NH area will write Charter CEO and ask if he wishes to follow FCC or should I write letter to editor for Hollis/Brookline Broadcaster?
post #735 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Remember when we were talking about a problem reported by....(hmmmm....was it xxrando or someting like that?) related to green tint on SVIDEO inputs? Tried it today...all I have that will do SVIDEO is my DVD player...attached the cable, switched output on the player to SVIDEO port, and watched it (various previews on a Pirates of the Carribean DVD)...I'm trying to see it, but am not seeing a green tinge/push...certainly nothing here that would lead anyone to say "Wow, that looks green." Anyone else try this yet?

Thanks Danabw, your report helps confirm my suspicion that my set probably just came with poor color reproduction at the factory default settings instead of the generally good OOB color suggested by others here.

I've had a few more nights to play with it now and am discovering (in my case) that the green is there on pretty much there on SVIDEO, component, and even OTA signals though it's leess noticeable with higher quality content. If I reduce the green gain for each combination of source, preset display mode (normal, vivid, movie, studio) and color temp setting then I can improve things a bit but there doesn't appear to be a single combination that works well for the majority of material. I'm sure a professional calibration could probably fix this but ultimately I'd still be happier with a set that looks 'reasonable' right out of the box.

My HD STB (HR10-250) will arrive tomorrow AM and provide the final verdict. More than likely I will elect to exchange the set for another. Of course I'll provide an update on what happens. The OP mentioned something about PQ issues with my STB but I must have missed the actual post where that was reported.

I had a chance to play xbox Halo2 and Doom3 today (svideo again sorry) and didn't notice any apparent lag issues -- though I'm not a hard core gamer so it's possible I wouldn't even notice. Also I did a more careful check of the DTIVO content and didn't notice any further lag there either. Apparently the football game lag I reported earlier might have been caused by the TIVO itself or something else up stream (not an uncommon problem).
post #736 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Darrell...thanks for the work to keep us organized!

One additional important thread...braggin' rights!!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=592075
post #737 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelevitt View Post

Actually Pioneer has already announced their Blu-Ray player for computers (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000500056429/) and it doesn't matter one iota what MS & Intel think-- its up to the vendor to write the 32 & 64-bit device drivers for these units. I am sure that Nero and the other CD/DVD writing programs will be ready as soon as these players are released (an oppotunity to charge us an upgrade fee!)

I'll do some digging but I've read technical comparisons of direct digital to VGA and there were noticable differences. If everyone is arguing about best quality of images (SXRD vs. DLP; Samsung vs. HP, etc) -- I just don't see sacrificing quality for DAC and ADC. But if you're happy with conversions then it works for you.

BTW-- There is an outstanding article on Video Processing by Greg Rogers (p. 48) in the November issue of Widescreen Review. You can download it online if you have a magazine subscription or pick it up at the store. Definitely a worthy read for those on this forum concerned about the 1080P HDMI issue.

In the meantime check out this article but keep in mind its written by the REALTA chip manufacturer:

http://www.hqv.com/technology/index1/deinterlacing

Nero just announce Blu-Ray support in their new version 7 being released next week:

http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Products.html

HD-DVD is just "blowing in the wind..."
post #738 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Halobox....

I think the rules are here:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/digital.html

But you have to be able to translate legalese and tech talk....

The basic summary is (from a guy who follows these things closely):

Quote:

OTA DTV (e.g., local HD channels) rebroadcast by cable providers must be carried in their basic tier and there is a long standing regulation which prohibits "scrambling or otherwise encrypting" anything in the basic tier, or charging extra for any part of it.

Quote:

The combination of the FCC's order that OTA DTV rebroadcasts be provided in the basic cable tier and Title 47, Section 76.630's assertion that nothing in the basic tier can be scrambled means that you can't charge extra for OTA DTV on cable and that it can't be scrambled. Cox is doing both.

At its most basic, the rule is that if a cable system carries an OTA DTV station, it must be carried in its basic services tier, unencrypted.

He also said that:

Quote:

...it turns out to be not all that easy to do (make a formal complaint). I thought that there might be a central FCC address to send a complaint to, but there's some local authority which you have to identify and go through.

However, just waving the regs in front of your cable provider might make some difference...don't bother talking to a CSR on the phone...you'll need manager level or above...

Hope that helps...
post #739 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 10:07 PM

Quote:

I looked on http://www.hp.ca/ and you are right that it appears they aren't available in Canada. I wonder why? Did you call?

Yep I did call and they told me it will be available at Bestbuy. I called Bestbuy and of course they have no clue what HP I was talking about. sigh..
post #740 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 11:00 PM

I've been following this thread for a few days and am very anxious about the 65 HP. I have a 61inch Sammy 720p that i have hooked to a HTPC. Its awesome as a dvd player. After reading all the stuff about 1080p i dont know what to do with my 61 Sammy, I want one of these HP's. I just called HP and asked about the discount. At first they said that there was never a 20% discount on the 65 inch. But after telling them i knew other people who had bought them with 20% discounts i knew that was not correct could he please verify if there's a discount for military. He came back and said that there is a 20% discount for military, but they had none in stock and there was no way to guarantee that the 20% would be there when they had some. I insisted on allowing me to lock in on it now but he could not. Didnt make sense. Anyway I am in Alaska and he said that they cant ship to me anyway. What are my alternatives? Whats TVA? Id appreciate any responses. Thanks

HLR-6168
Onkyo 670 HTIB
Moto 6208 STB
HTPC
post #741 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 11:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

So can these HP 1080p TVs be calibrated by ISF pros or not?

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #742 of 10924 Old 10-26-2005, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

UMR...a pro calibrator who posts a lot on AVS forum, believes they can be, via controls available in the standard menus.
post #743 of 10924 Old 10-27-2005, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime9us View Post

I've been following this thread for a few days and am very anxious about the 65 HP. I have a 61inch Sammy 720p that i have hooked to a HTPC. Its awesome as a dvd player. After reading all the stuff about 1080p i dont know what to do with my 61 Sammy, I want one of these HP's. I just called HP and asked about the discount. At first they said that there was never a 20% discount on the 65 inch. But after telling them i knew other people who had bought them with 20% discounts i knew that was not correct could he please verify if there's a discount for military. He came back and said that there is a 20% discount for military, but they had none in stock and there was no way to guarantee that the 20% would be there when they had some. I insisted on allowing me to lock in on it now but he could not. Didnt make sense. Anyway I am in Alaska and he said that they cant ship to me anyway. What are my alternatives? Whats TVA? Id appreciate any responses. Thanks

Some of the alternate sources should ship to Alaska. TVA is www.tvauthority.com . My guess is they would ship and discount the set. The set can also be ordered online from J&R music -- www.jr.com as well as from Crutchfield -- www.crutchfield.com . Crutchfield unfortunately virtually NEVER discounts - they're an MSRP front for many manufacturers -- like Onkyo, Denon, Sony, etc.

You should check on shipping costs from the 48 states to Canada. If you're military, you would get the 20% discount ($ 1000) and free shipping to down here. If you have friends or family in the 48 states-- it could be cheaper to ship it to them and then pay them to ship it to you in Alaska.
post #744 of 10924 Old 10-27-2005, 04:32 AM

I have been in the shadows and I am looking at the 65" hp, 67" samsung and the 62" mits. With everything I have read in these forums and possibly a 20% epp discount The HP seems to meet my needs better than the others. However does anyone have one in a 50 mile radius of Springfield, MA who would not mind showing it off? If not the 21 day free shipping deal\ rial will be the way I have to go. Thanks in advance.
post #745 of 10924 Old 10-27-2005, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C. View Post

Using the above code I can access Dish menus, etc. on my 942, but DVR functions do not work. Any suggestions?

Sorry about that, I just tried it again. I jumped the gun when I saw the record menu come up. The only DVR key that works is the record key. Hitting it and then the return will record the current program. The guide and channel selection appear to work OK with this code which might save a little couch diving when the dish remote goes on a walkabout.

Can you harmony users identify which model you are using and keep us up to date on the progress? I hope some of you are using the $100 models and I don't need the $250 list model 880 to rich remote nirvana.
post #746 of 10924 Old 10-27-2005, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngpong View Post

Follow this link to see an example of how our brains process visual information.

http://www.patmedia.net/marklevinson..._illusion.html

(slightly off topic, but very interesting)

Amazing
post #747 of 10924 Old 10-27-2005, 05:20 AM

My HP 5880n connected to my dish 942 HD-DVR takes a very long time to become active when I first turn them both on. This seems to happens when the 942 has been powered off for a while. The 942 has an inactivity sensor and powers itself off even if the kids don't turn it off. The HDMI 1 bottom info banner appears after 10-20 seconds but the HDMI picture takes over a minute to show up.

Any body else have slow HDMI start up issues? I suspect the 942 HDMI just takes a long time to wake up. I was starting to worry that the $7.49 6 foot HDMI to HDMI cables I bought from computertechnet.com might be the problem, but I see no issues once everything is going.

My kids get impatient and switch the 942 into dual mode and watch the 942's TV2 s-video input I left connected to the HP video 1. Needless to say I freak out everytime I find them watching s-video when hdmi 1080i is available. Not to mention this disables the dish PIP which really helps compensate for HP PIP weakness. The final insult is they bring the second dish remote over bringing the remote count to 4 (HP, 2 dish and DVD). My wife looks at the remote pile and goes to watch another TV. I just asked the group which harmony remote does the job hoping I don't have spend my sub-woofer budget on a $250 remote.
post #748 of 10924 Old 10-27-2005, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a question for people that have this tv with the HP standand that is how goode do the wires get burried? My wife is always bugging me about this so I thought I would ask as she really isn't crazy about the HP stand.
post #749 of 10924 Old 10-27-2005, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

I have a question for people that have this tv with the HP standand that is how goode do the wires get burried? My wife is always bugging me about this so I thought I would ask as she really isn't crazy about the HP stand.

I don't see how the stand matters a lick for hiding the wires. There is a passage through the SET for the wires. The stand appears irrelevent. There is no way to see wires.
post #750 of 10924 Old 10-27-2005, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't see how the stand matters a lick for hiding the wires. There is a passage through the SET for the wires. The stand appears irrelevent. There is no way to see wires.

Ok great I thought the wires some how snaked through the stand under the TV
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page