Forum Jump: 

post #9061 of 10890 Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalin59 View Post

I am not an expert on these kind of things but the screw is 2" long, 3/16" in diameter (thread to thread) and the thread pitch is 3/32". Very similar to a drywall screw except it is 3/16" in diameter and has a flat head. You will also need a 1" washer.

catalin59

Thank you for the information! I appreciate it. I found suitable screws and washers recently and was able to secure the TV to the stand.

Regards,

cwrea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 10890 Old 07-14-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

Bickity,

Your first timing recommendation is 1920x540 at 60Hz, which is what it should be. This recommendation is the same as 1080i.

Keep in mind that when the HP DLP was introduced in the fall of 2005, and the only people using 1080p were HTPC users, and a few people using expensive scalers. So a "first" recommendation of 1080i made sense.

Once a PC boots, it will use whatever resolution and timing you select. However, doing the boot process, your video card will use the first recommendation from the EDID data. In my case, my 6600GT (which is what I was using at the time), could not handle 1920x540 at 60Hz, but it could handle 1280x720 at 60Hz, so I customized my firmware as I described in the post I mentioned above.

I customized my firmware by using the firmware for the 720p HP DLP models, and I used a HEX editor to change the TV model. You could probably patch the firmware to have 1080p be the first recommendation. However, be careful. If you mess up the firmware, you might screw up your set.

-Dave

Thanks for the reply...

Never had a single problem with XP. And I really do want to make this work with Vista.

nVidia is about useless for driver support right now. Vista syncs fine during boot to 720P, but nothing I have tried will get this card to sync at anything above 1080P, 50Hz. DVD playback at that setting looks ok, but it can be a little jittery at times.

If anyone out there has any spare time, and doesn't mind, I would love to see if anyone else with one of these HP DLP sets gets the same results. nVidia, and Vista of course...

Thanks.

HTPC Specs
Windows Vista 32Bit
ASUS A8NE
2GB Mem
AMD 64 X2 4200+
ASUS 7600 GT - Lateset Drivers

Bob Jones
HP MD6580N
post #9063 of 10890 Old 07-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

I am in a similar position with the 8800 GTS. The issue is not just with the HP Pavillion however as I tried it with several other HDTV's at the retailer and I got the same result.

To be 100% accurate, I had initially tried the ATI 2900xt card and it is the one I tried at the retailer with my PC. The 8800GTS exhibits the exact same issues with the addition of the boot sequence mess.

I got a tip on another forum to check out the DVI Detective from Gefen which basically holds in state an EDID (config for lack of a better word as I am now to this part of the HDMI lingo). http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378

Basically you attach it to you TV and turn the TV on. It copies the EDID signal and stores it. You then attach the PC to the other end and this this device between the two regardless of turning off the TV, switching inputs etc the PC still thinks it is connected at the EDID you want and all should be good.

Been trying to order on through a local dealer and they are very responsive however. I may have to go direct. Not even sure if it will fix the problem ,but hex editors and messing with the firmware are probably a little beyond me at this point.

I am not as worried about the boot sequence as I am about the windows Vista desktop. It will not sync at 1920 x 1080p @ 60hz. I think others are saying that they have gotten this to work. Is that true? If I use the HDMI 1 with "PC" mode I get a windowed image with a 6-8 inch black border around it. If I go with the "normal" input mode I get closer to filling the screen, but still with a 1-2 inch black border.

I can get a signal with 1920 x 1080 @ 59hz and 30hz, but they each have varying degrees of overscan where the image spills over the edges of the screen border.

If I could get either 1920 x 1080p @60hz or 1920 x 540i 60z (or would that be 30hz) out of the card I would probably be fine as possible either the TV directly or routing the signal through my Anthem Statement D2 would allow for a clean signal.

In either case, my experimentations either direct of through the D2 have so far given the same disappointing results. I need more time playing around I guess.

It is very frustrating when I used to use a ATI Radeon 256mb card at a fraction of the price and it worked fine. Pixel mapped perfectly out of the box in Win XP to the HDMI 1 "PC" mode.

I keep coming back to Vista being the issue or the NVidia Drivers for Vista. It just doesn't make any sense that the card wouldn't work.

Anyway, any suggesting would be helpful. Lots of info here, and I have another thread going on the HTPC side trying to troubleshoot this.

Cheers,

Richard
post #9064 of 10890 Old 07-19-2007, 05:09 PM

Liked: 11
I have a laptop working with my HP MD5880 and I'm able to run it at 1920x1080 60Hz via a DVI-HDMI cable. The TV reports this as 1080P. I'm running Vista, but I'm not sure which video card the laptop has. Everything seems to be running fine displaying SD recorded TV shows. Haven't tried HD recorded shows yet. I'll try to get the adapter info if you think it would help.

Phil
post #9065 of 10890 Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks it couldn't hurt.

I will be reinstalling Vista tonight (Yeah the raid is done apparently... Good times)

Then I can play with it fresh. If I cannot get it working with Vista I will install XP and try that out.

It is good news that at least with "a" card, vista and the TV can get along at 19020 x 1080p @60 ;-)

There is hope. Thanks for the response.

Cheers,

Richard
post #9066 of 10890 Old 07-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROSEN View Post

Thanks it couldn't hurt.

I will be reinstalling Vista tonight (Yeah the raid is done apparently... Good times)

Then I can play with it fresh. If I cannot get it working with Vista I will install XP and try that out.

It is good news that at least with "a" card, vista and the TV can get along at 19020 x 1080p @60 ;-)

There is hope. Thanks for the response.

Cheers,

Richard

Glad to know it's not just me... Misery loves company...

I have a GeForce GO 7900GS is my laptop running Vista. I will check it out later to see if it will sync 1080P @ 60Hz. Thing to remember, is that a lot of OEM's that use these mobile cards are in charge of thier own driver updates. nVidia does not offer driver support for the GO series mobile cards.

Bob Jones
HP MD6580N
post #9067 of 10890 Old 07-22-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROSEN View Post

I got a tip on another forum to check out the DVI Detective from Gefen which basically holds in state an EDID (config for lack of a better word as I am now to this part of the HDMI lingo). http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378

I'm not sure how this device would help us... Since essentially, our TV's are giving the proper EDID information to the PC. Vista/Video drivers just refuse to sync to it.

Bob Jones
HP MD6580N
post #9068 of 10890 Old 07-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Seastrand View Post

I have a laptop working with my HP MD5880 and I'm able to run it at 1920x1080 60Hz via a DVI-HDMI cable. The TV reports this as 1080P. I'm running Vista, but I'm not sure which video card the laptop has. Everything seems to be running fine displaying SD recorded TV shows. Haven't tried HD recorded shows yet. I'll try to get the adapter info if you think it would help.

Phil

Video adapter: ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 - 128 MB. I'm running Vista Home Premium and using the Setup TV wizard, I was forced to choose "Show all options" in order to see the 1920x1080 60 Hz option. Once set, it works fine.

Note: I run my desktop at 1280x1024 so that there is no overscan problems.
post #9069 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 07:31 AM

HI Folks:

I was messing around in the service menu and clicked okay to 'ADC Calibration' by accident and now the image on component 1 (which happens to be my Xbox 360) is not as good as it once was. The image seems darker. No matter how I change the settings, I can't seem to get it back to the great PQ I once had. I tried doing a factory reset, and a hard reset (holding down power and volume up channel down) and nothing seems to help.

What does this ADC calibration supposed to do, and is there any way to recover from it? Please help!
post #9070 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjahadi View Post

HI Folks:

I was messing around in the service menu and clicked okay to 'ADC Calibration' by accident and now the image on component 1 (which happens to be my Xbox 360) is not as good as it once was. The image seems darker. No matter how I change the settings, I can't seem to get it back to the great PQ I once had. I tried doing a factory reset, and a hard reset (holding down power and volume up channel down) and nothing seems to help.

What does this ADC calibration supposed to do, and is there any way to recover from it? Please help!

I seem to remember that UMR stated you could screw up the component input from the service menu if you did not apply the proper test single to the component input while selecting one of the calibration options from the service menu. Perhaps that is what you did.

I would send a PM to UMR and see what he thinks. My guess is that it will take a visit from a professional calibrator to fix this, and I would probably select UMR.

Alternatively, you could just get an Xbox 360 Elite and use HDMI. You can always get an HDMI switcher if you need more inputs. The cost of a professional calibrator visit would go a long way toward paying for a new Xbox. On the other hand, a professional calibration would also make your TV look a lot nicer .

-Dave
post #9071 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 09:25 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

HI Folks:

You just recalibrated your analog to digital converter (ADC). This needs to be redone with the proper test signal to fix it. There is no reason to enter the service mode on this product.
post #9072 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HI Folks:

Buy the way, here is a post from a guy whose "neighbor" did the same thing.

From the HP Service Manual:

ADC - YPbPr Calibration

1. Input SMPTE Test pattern (Figure 1) from generator to TV component port. (component 1 or 2 is ok)

2. TV set to Factory Menu. Use cursor on the remote to move to ADC Calibration setting. Like Figure 2.

3. Press OK on the remote.

Sounds pretty simple if you have a signal generator that can output the SMPTE test pattern.

-Dave
post #9073 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 10:57 AM

Awww man, i really screwed it up then. Dang it! Okay, well since the tv is going to be replaced by HP eventually (i have an issue with the slight blue bar across the top of the screen), I'm not going to get it professionally calibrated at this time. But, unfortunately the replacement unit is on back order and who knows when I'm going to get it. Since I'm taking a vacation in the middle of August, I just told HP that I would call afterwards to get it replaced.

In the meantime, I would love to fix this little problem I'm having. The question is, is the signal generator some sort of device, or is it a calibration DVD or something? And how would I get one? I'd really appreciate if anyone knew how I could fix this problem so that I can enjoy the image for the time being. You guys always come through for me with info... so please help if you can!

I feel really stupid for messing with it to begin with!

Thanks again
post #9074 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

You can probably make it better.

Take a look at this pattern:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_color_bars

That is the same pattern shown in the HP service manual. So all you need to do is find a calibration DVD with the SMPTE color bars, stick it in your Xbox, send it to the TV over component, and do the ADC calibration.

Your Xbox is no replacement for a signal generator. However, since you are replacing the TV anyway, you don't have much to lose.

By the way, I had the blue line accross the top of my HP DLP, and I only got a new light engine. Are you sure you are getting a new TV?
post #9075 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Buy the way, here is a post from a guy whose "neighbor" did the same thing.

From the HP Service Manual:

ADC - YPbPr Calibration

1. Input SMPTE Test pattern (Figure 1) from generator to TV component port. (component 1 or 2 is ok)

2. TV set to Factory Menu. Use cursor on the remote to move to ADC Calibration setting. Like Figure 2.

3. Press OK on the remote.

Sounds pretty simple if you have a signal generator that can output the SMPTE test pattern.

-Dave

I did this with a SMPTE Signal generator connected, and it still fubar'd it. The way I ended up recovering was getting an HP tech to give me the values in the service menu to get it close to default. Then had the set Calibrated by Avical. It was lets say a fun lesson to learn...

I'll have to see if I can dig those pictures up that HP sent me.

Bob Jones
HP MD6580N
post #9076 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 05:11 PM

Ok... I found the info, and the picture of a 6580N that HP sent me to go off of to set color gains back to "close to default".

Go into your Factory Color Adjust menu. Check to see if your values are way off from this picture. If they are reset them in each column.

Hope this helps...
LL

Bob Jones
HP MD6580N
post #9077 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 PM

you guys are awesome. Thanks alot for all the help. I went out and bought digital video essentials then ran the SMPTE test pattern and ran the calibration again. It definitely helped, although its not as good as factory default. Oh well, it will do until I get my replacement. I might try to manually adjust the settings... thanks Bickity!

Since this is not the first issue i've had with this TV recently, I was able to escalate to a case manager who authorized the replacement. The only thing i'm afraid of is what issues the refurb unit they send me might have but since they don't seem to have a qualified tech in my area, that is a way better option than a light engine replacement.

We'll see... I'm hoping that they fully test the unit before sending it to me. I wonder if they will let me keep the lamp on my unit, so i have a spare. Its the least they can do for me!
post #9078 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Seastrand View Post

Video adapter: ATI Mobility FireGL V5000 - 128 MB. I'm running Vista Home Premium and using the Setup TV wizard, I was forced to choose "Show all options" in order to see the 1920x1080 60 Hz option. Once set, it works fine.

Note: I run my desktop at 1280x1024 so that there is no overscan problems.

Thanks for that update! When I get a chance to try my laptop with the nVidia 7900, I will report back.

Bob Jones
HP MD6580N
post #9079 of 10890 Old 07-24-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickity View Post

Thanks for that update! When I get a chance to try my laptop with the nVidia 7900, I will report back.

Same issue as before using the Vista Laptop DVI to HDMI. Can only sync 1920X1080 @ 50hz, 60Hz goes crazy.

This has to be a driver problem.

Bob Jones
HP MD6580N
post #9080 of 10890 Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not using Vista now, but I tested the betas. I have a 7600GT AGP. Hopefully the drivers have come a long ways since then. However, at the time, I could only get 1920x1080 at 60Hz to work on my 5880 when I used the MS driver provided with Vista. If you use the driver provided with Vista, does it work?

I realize that you do not want to use this driver, but it is worth testing just to verify that the hardware can do it.

-Dave
post #9081 of 10890 Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:

I am not using Vista now, but I tested the betas. I have a 7600GT AGP. Hopefully the drivers have come a long ways since then. However, at the time, I could only get 1920x1080 at 60Hz to work on my 5880 when I used the MS driver provided with Vista. If you use the driver provided with Vista, does it work?

I realize that you do not want to use this driver, but it is worth testing just to verify that the hardware can do it.

-Dave

The Native Vista Driver does work. But of course there is so much functionality missing...

Bob Jones
HP MD6580N
post #9082 of 10890 Old 07-26-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickity View Post

The Native Vista Driver does work. But of course there is so much functionality missing...

Thanks for letting me know. I plan to build a Vista HTPC in the fall. Everything works so well right now with my MD5880n and 7600GT using XP, so I really do not want to switch until the drivers are right.

-Dave
post #9083 of 10890 Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 PM

Anyone know if HP is making any progress on the HDMI handshake issue with 360s? Thanks.
post #9084 of 10890 Old 07-26-2007, 06:00 PM

Very strange behavior after a relamp...

Relamp service was very fast actually, but now that I've had it for a few days I'm getting very aggravated. Worked great the first time, and then powered down with no problems. But now every time I try to power up the TV, the fan comes on and I get a slowly blinking LED, but no picture. The TV then won't respond to the power button, so I have to pull the plug to kill it.

It is usually resolved after that, but it's a vicious cycle now. If I want to watch TV I essentially have to first unplug the TV, and then plug it back in. So much for my brilliant plan of selling it now. Jesus christ.

I'll be calling the relamp place to see if they can explain this. For the one or two of you that still view this thread I'll post my findings.

T
post #9085 of 10890 Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks for letting me know. I plan to build a Vista HTPC in the fall. Everything works so well right now with my MD5880n and 7600GT using XP, so I really do not want to switch until the drivers are right.

-Dave

Save yourself a lot of pain and suffering. Do what I didn't do in the beginning, and make a image type backup of your XP machine. If you don't like the Vista build, it takes 20-30 min to roll back with a bootable image DVD. I recommend Acronis, pretty cheap, pretty easy to use.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Bob Jones
HP MD6580N
post #9086 of 10890 Old 07-28-2007, 11:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigger View Post

Anyone know if HP is making any progress on the HDMI handshake issue with 360s? Thanks.

I was just getting ready to pick up an Elite... I didn't know there were problems with the Elites and the HP's. So the Elites don't work with these TV's ? (via HDMI)
post #9087 of 10890 Old 07-28-2007, 12:03 PM

They work, I just need to turn my cable box off before changing the HDMI input to the cable box after playing the Elite.
post #9088 of 10890 Old 07-28-2007, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow. I haven't bothered to stop by this thread in a long time (since everything has been fine with my set for quite a while.) But I just noticed a 1.5 to 2 inch blue/purple/dark line across the top of my 65" screen...looks like I'm not the only one with this problem!

I MUST be out of warranty by now, and so must most of you, since I think they haven't been making these sets for some time now... How is HP dealing with this?

Thanks for the help (I plan to call them on Monday)

-Kevin
post #9089 of 10890 Old 07-31-2007, 03:12 PM

I have a problem with my HP MD5880N. I just got a PS3 today and picked up the Blu-Ray of "300". Everything plays fine, the problem is I get "horizontal tearing" while watching the movie. I've tried adjusting every setting, but it won't go away.

During some scenes it doesn't tear at all, and with others it tears terribly. Any ideas?
post #9090 of 10890 Old 08-01-2007, 07:26 AM

I had the same problem with tearing and the only thing I found to fix it was to make sure the Ps3 is not set to output 24 frames under the blu-ray menu. I don't even leave it set to auto, I had to turn off 24 frame output. Hope this helps.

Adam
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page