The Official HP Pavilion 1080P DLP Owner's Thread - Page 313 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9361 of 10929 Old 01-08-2008, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With all this "heat and air circulation" discussion, thought I'd pass on my experience with the 6580 I've had for over two years now.

Other than a minor speaker buzz repair made under warranty, my TV has run flawlessly. It is on daily, and is still on the original bulb.

I am connected to an SA8300HD cable box set to 1080i via an HDMI cable. I never change the resolution, and do not have any game consoles connected.

Our house has forced air heating and air conditioning, and just by luck, the TV happens to sit just in front of a very large return air vent' at floor level. Air constantly flows over the TV as it heads for this return air vent (very close by), and I'm sure takes some of the TV heat with it. Not sure if you can make a direct connection between my good luck and the extra air flow around the TV, but evidence seems to be building in that direction.

I do have a heat problem on a computer that runs very hot, streaming internet content. (The computer would shut down on its own). I removed one of the side panels from the computer box and added a six inch fan, powered from the extra fan connection on the mother board. The heat dropped dramatically, and solved my problem. If I encounter any of the problems described in this forum I'd have no hesitation in adding a fan or two to the 6580, even if it involved cutting an extra hole in the plastic TV backing. Fans are inexpensive and some are specifically designed to run quietly.

Anyway, my observations. Love this TV by the way. Have yet to see anything in the stores more impressive.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 10929 Old 01-08-2008, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctomguy View Post

Well, I just got a voicemail saying that "due to a backorder situation, [my] delivery will have to be rescheduled," so I won't be getting my new TV Wednesday after all.

I'm going to call them back after work tonight and see if they can replace the main board / power supply more quickly than they can replace the entire TV, because I don't know how long this backorder situation will last.

Very frustrating.

Heh, I don't know why they called me telling me they couldn't ship my replacement, because when I called them back asking about the voicemail they left me, the rep told me that the TV had already been picked up by the shipping company. Unfortunately I found out today that HP somehow provided the wrong address (in fact, an address that doesn't even exist) to the shipper, so I had to sit on the phone for 45 minutes being sent from department to department before finally getting someone who could change the address. He couldn't figure out how the wrong address got in there either, since there's apparently no other mention of it on my account.

At this point I'm hoping for delivery by Friday.
post #9363 of 10929 Old 01-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadano View Post

I have not visited this site for a little while, but have come to some of the same conclusions that you all have. I have decided that there is a heat issue. I have expirimented with the optional fans also. Another thing I found out was this: When the posterization occurs at let's say the zero setting on the color wheel, I "exercise" the wheel setting by taking it up to around 500 and letting it sit like that for a while. then I take it back down to zero, and I have a great picture for a while, sometimes days.

Wow, didn't anticipate hysteresis on the CWI. Not that I understand what circuits are involved... I'll have to play with that one. Thanks for the tip.
post #9364 of 10929 Old 01-08-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx View Post

With all this "heat and air circulation" discussion, thought I'd pass on my experience with the 6580 I've had for over two years now.

Other than a minor speaker buzz repair made under warranty, my TV has run flawlessly. It is on daily, and is still on the original bulb.

I am connected to an SA8300HD cable box set to 1080i via an HDMI cable. I never change the resolution, and do not have any game consoles connected.

Our house has forced air heating and air conditioning, and just by luck, the TV happens to sit just in front of a very large return air vent' at floor level. Air constantly flows over the TV as it heads for this return air vent (very close by), and I'm sure takes some of the TV heat with it. Not sure if you can make a direct connection between my good luck and the extra air flow around the TV, but evidence seems to be building in that direction.

I do have a heat problem on a computer that runs very hot, streaming internet content. (The computer would shut down on its own). I removed one of the side panels from the computer box and added a six inch fan, powered from the extra fan connection on the mother board. The heat dropped dramatically, and solved my problem. If I encounter any of the problems described in this forum I'd have no hesitation in adding a fan or two to the 6580, even if it involved cutting an extra hole in the plastic TV backing. Fans are inexpensive and some are specifically designed to run quietly.

Anyway, my observations. Love this TV by the way. Have yet to see anything in the stores more impressive.

Cheers

Lexx,
Thanks for sharing. I have the same cable box. Time Warner uses the component cable for their hgih def install in my neighborhood. I might dig up another HDMI cable and try it. Curious, is your box set to "fixed", "up-convert 1" or some other setting on video out format?

My problems started some time after my kid started using his x-box 360, but I don't think the xbox is root cause.

For now, I'm just using an external fan that is handy. Kind of a pain to remember to turn it on and off, but nice to have a working picture again. I wonder if there is an "extra fan" connection on a board inside this TV - that would be too easy. Otherwise, I would be forced to guess at a good location to pull juice from the pwr supply module.
post #9365 of 10929 Old 01-08-2008, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronawc View Post

... I would be forced to guess at a good location to pull juice from the pwr supply module.

Sounds like a bad idea. What I would do is look at the left fan, since its the easiest to access, and see what voltage it uses. Then, find a low power relay to put in parallel with the fan, and use that relay to switch a 120 volt AC fan. If the HP uses PWM to do fan speed control, then this idea would fail, but I think the fans are always full on.
post #9366 of 10929 Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvoid View Post

Sounds like a bad idea. What I would do is look at the left fan, since its the easiest to access, and see what voltage it uses. Then, find a low power relay to put in parallel with the fan, and use that relay to switch a 120 volt AC fan. If the HP uses PWM to do fan speed control, then this idea would fail, but I think the fans are always full on.

If someone gets serious enough to actually think their way thru a full solution, buy the parts and heat their solder iron, please do share the saga.

I'm in a holding pattern to see if the current external fan fix holds. The good news is that the picture quality with the auxillary fan in place is once again far too good to push this unit to the curb ;0)
post #9367 of 10929 Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx View Post

Our house has forced air heating and air conditioning, and just by luck, the TV happens to sit just in front of a very large ‘return air vent’ at floor level. Air constantly flows over the TV as it heads for this return air vent (very close by), and I’m sure takes some of the TV heat with it. Not sure if you can make a direct connection between my good luck and the extra air flow around the TV, but evidence seems to be building in that direction.

I do have a heat problem on a computer that runs very hot, streaming internet content. (The computer would shut down on its own). I removed one of the side panels from the computer box and added a six inch fan, powered from the extra fan connection on the mother board. The heat dropped dramatically, and solved my problem. If I encounter any of the problems described in this forum I’d have no hesitation in adding a fan or two to the 6580, even if it involved cutting an extra hole in the plastic TV backing. Fans are inexpensive and some are specifically designed to run quietly.

Cheers

Same with me. I'm on 21 months with the original bulb and not a single problem. I have purchased a spare bulb though so I'm ready to continue with the great picture whenever needed.
post #9368 of 10929 Old 01-09-2008, 04:16 AM

Same here. Two years on the original bulb with no problems. My spare bulb is waiting.
post #9369 of 10929 Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 AM

It doesn't hurt to be reminded that there are surely lots more HPTV out there without issues than with issues.

Those of us that got the short straws are just trying to help each other find solutions so we can retain our investment and return our previously terriffic picture quality. The exciting news is that some of the issues might be as simple to correct as supplimenting air flow. This is especially good news when the alternatives are $350 service fees, $2000 light engines and $1000 main control modules, along with long delays to get the parts in and the repairs completed.
post #9370 of 10929 Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 AM

My 6580 has been working flawlessly for over 2 years now (with homebrew speaker buzz fix) and still on the original bulb. Just a fabulous TV!

I should order a spare bulb.
post #9371 of 10929 Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 PM

Well my HP MD6580n light engine failed. . Luckily, it was under warranty, and the tv was replaced with another set.

.......so now I have an Official MD6580n Black Wood stand (in Mint condition) and a used bulb (dont know how many hours are left on it) for sale as a package to anyone local to me with this tv set. I am in Ontario, Canada and can meet up anywhere in the GTA. Just PM me if intersted as I really need to free up the space

This was a fantastic set while it lasted .
post #9372 of 10929 Old 01-12-2008, 02:30 PM

Hey everyone. I know this isn't the right forum for this but I was hoping some kind person can point me in the right direction.

I have an HP LCD tv that I turned off one night and the next day.. turned it on...get the white screen with the HP logo then goes black. TV is still on.. I have searched the forums but am missing something...
post #9373 of 10929 Old 01-12-2008, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby61 View Post

Hey everyone. I know this isn't the right forum for this but I was hoping some kind person can point me in the right direction.

I have an HP LCD tv that I turned off one night and the next day.. turned it on...get the white screen with the HP logo then goes black. TV is still on.. I have searched the forums but am missing something...

You can probably find some people that own your TV in the LCD Flat Panel Forum. Here is a search in that forum showing threads that have "HP" in the title:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...archid=8780998

-Dave
post #9374 of 10929 Old 01-12-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

You can probably find some people that own your TV in the LCD Flat Panel Forum. Here is a search in that forum showing threads that have "HP" in the title:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...archid=8780998

-Dave

Thank you
post #9375 of 10929 Old 01-12-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like those search IDs expire. The link worked when I posted it, but now it doesn't. If it expired before you clicked on it, just use the site search tools in that forum.

-Dave
post #9376 of 10929 Old 01-13-2008, 01:15 PM

hi, i'm new here. i own the md5880n for almost two years now and i've noticed a problem as of late.
i notice my tv flickers in brightness and then turns off. maybe happened two or three times over the last two months or so. what i did to reset this was pull the power plug and wait a bit and plug it back in. today, i noticed flickering again but hasnt turned off yet. i was thinking it might be a small power spike because i have a meter and its telling my input power is fluctuating at around 128V which is higher than normal. but i'm now starting to think my bulb is going. anyone with ideas?
also, whats the difference between normal bulb life ending and light engine going. how do you know which one?
one final question. i've noticed this periodically with my tv over the last year or so. the tv is running fine but i notice the blue light is flashing (2secs on, 2 secs off). i looked in the manual on that and it say nothing about a flashing blue light? any ideas?

tia swampster
post #9377 of 10929 Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampster View Post

hi, i'm new here. i own the md5880n for almost two years now and i've noticed a problem as of late.
i notice my tv flickers in brightness and then turns off. maybe happened two or three times over the last two months or so. what i did to reset this was pull the power plug and wait a bit and plug it back in. today, i noticed flickering again but hasnt turned off yet. i was thinking it might be a small power spike because i have a meter and its telling my input power is fluctuating at around 128V which is higher than normal. but i'm now starting to think my bulb is going. anyone with ideas?
also, whats the difference between normal bulb life ending and light engine going. how do you know which one?
one final question. i've noticed this periodically with my tv over the last year or so. the tv is running fine but i notice the blue light is flashing (2secs on, 2 secs off). i looked in the manual on that and it say nothing about a flashing blue light? any ideas?

tia swampster

Email or chat with HP even without warrenty, they answer in a short time.

http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

Ray
post #9378 of 10929 Old 01-13-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I would certainly follow Rayme's suggestion and call HP. It won't cost anything to talk to them.

It could be the lamp. These TVs use an arc lamp. My guess is that as the lamp ages, the gap between the electrodes increases, which might cause flickering. However, most people just observe that the bulb gets dimmer until the picture dies and the red lamp LED (to the left of the blue LED) turns on.

The problem is that buying a new lamp is pretty expensive just to test this theory, especially if your set is dying. On the other hand, you could probably unload it here for for at least $150 (maybe more), especially if you sell at a time when HP is out of stock. If you search this thread, there was a guy named Travis Rule that was selling the lamps for less. I guess if I were you, I would try a new lamp.

Regarding the blue LED flashing, is it flashing between on and off, or bright and dim? The blue light flashes bright whenever it received an IR signal. It is possible that some other device or remote is sending a signal that is causes the light to flash. IIRC, people with MCE PCs with IR transmitters had some issues with the PC sending IR codes to the TV.

-Dave
post #9379 of 10929 Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 PM

i've sent an email to HP.

as for the flashing light problem, its probably more like 3 secs on and 3 secs off but its consistent, dont think its caused by other IR devices. but what i do is turn off the tv for the night and then the next day its back to normal. this problem hasnt happened often and the operation of the tv is normal even when its flashing, i just dont know why its flashing. next time it happens, i'll check to see if other devices are operating in my house. anyone know if that may happen if your TV is on all day. i think the days i have seen it, the TV was on a lot that day.

as for the flickering problem, i put a voltage regulator (rather than meter) on the power today and did notice a bit of flickering still. i'm sort of thinking this is the early stages of my lamp going. i guess i'm hoping for that so its not some other more expensive problem.

swampster
post #9380 of 10929 Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampster View Post

tia swampster

I think this is probably the bulb. I remember the tv acting strange before the bulb completely died. Two years sounds about normal for bulb life. A lot of us have gone through them much faster than that.

Jim
post #9381 of 10929 Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM

Here is HP's response to my query email:

"You may be experiencing a a light engine issue or your lamp module may need replacing. Please try the following steps before trying to get the TV repaired. Unplug the TV and disconnect all peripheral devices. Press and hold the power button on the TV itself for approximately 1 minute. Release the power button and plug the TV back in. Monitor the situation after this step. If you are still experiencing the issue; try reseating the lamp. Directions on how to take the lamp out and put it back in can be located in the user's guide on pages 55, 56, and 57."

I then asked for a bit more detail on what they said and they responded back with:

"Pressing and holding down the power button while the TV is unplugged forces the power to drain from the internal capacitors, which in turn forces some internal settings to reset. The firmware, however, is not altered by this.
Regarding the reseating of the lamp module, it is generally done in these situations not because there is something wrong with the bulb itself, but rather because there are several electronic connections which run through the module and the heating and cooling of the lamp can, over time, disconnect them. By removing the lamp and putting it back in, you reseat those connections so if they were out of place before, they aren't anymore.
A good way of checking if the issue is with the lamp module is simply to examine the module itself- usually lamp modules manifest visible issues if there is something wrong. If you see any melting, broken glass, cracks or dark marks, then it's most likely the lamp. If the lamp looks fine, then while it is still very possible, it's more likely to be the light engine."

i'll try it tonight and give an update

swampster
post #9382 of 10929 Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Not a bad response for an email inquiry. I have seen much worse "scripted" responses. It seems similar to the kind of info you get here, but at least they suggested a few things to try that nobody else suggested.

If you search this forum, there is also a sequence for a master reset. IIRC, it involved holding down two buttons on the TV. It will wipe out all your custom settings, but it can't hurt to give it a try.

-Dave
post #9383 of 10929 Old 01-14-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

Not a bad response for an email inquiry. I have seen much worse "scripted" responses. It seems similar to the kind of info you get here, but at least they suggested a few things to try that nobody else suggested.

If you search this forum, there is also a sequence for a master reset. IIRC, it involved holding down two buttons on the TV. It will wipe out all your custom settings, but it can't hurt to give it a try.

-Dave

Yeah, they were pretty fast with the responses, the only thing that worries me is that i had the responses from two different people (and both women at that) so i'm thinking these are just standard responses and not something tailored to my problem. (not to knock women but they dont know as much about electronics than guys do!)

As for the master reset, i dont mind trying that because i dont really think i have done any custom settings. BUT when i got the TV i noticed a white hew across the top which HP sent me a firmware upgrade to fix and it did it. Will the master reset, also reset my firmware to its original version?

swampster
post #9384 of 10929 Old 01-14-2008, 06:33 PM

I've had a great resolution for over a week now without any problems. I have a fan blowing in the left side. Every time I turn on my 6580 it works until I turn it off. Jeeeeez I wish I didn't just put that in writing. I hope this thing doesn't make a fool out of me.
post #9385 of 10929 Old 01-14-2008, 10:51 PM

Correction, I have a fan blowing on the right side of the TV, not the left. So, after I wrote that I haven't had a problem for a week, I went out to find a slight posterization problem on my TV. I ran the wheel up to 400 and left it there for about 10 minutes and put it back to zero and its been good for hours again.
post #9386 of 10929 Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadano View Post

Correction, I have a fan blowing on the right side of the TV, not the left. So, after I wrote that I haven't had a problem for a week, I went out to find a slight posterization problem on my TV. I ran the wheel up to 400 and left it there for about 10 minutes and put it back to zero and its been good for hours again.

I started with a fan on both sides (intentional overkill). Once that proved to work, I removed the one on the right. Really a random choice, but I was slightly more suspicious of the power supply and lamp zone. So your fan blows from the right and mine blows from the left - so I doubt it really matters which side as long as there is improved air movement across the back of the TV. I have noticed a little posterization on certain scenes until the TV warms up (about 5 minutes), then it goes away. So I haven't tried running up the CWI, letting it sit, and then putting it back down. The increased airflow seems to have stabilized the situation.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I purchased a new bulb and a new control module from a fellow member back in mid December. They seem to be lost/delayed in shipping. If/when they arrive, I will do a bit more troubleshooting and share the findings. I'm curious if either impacts the posterization and/or CWI settings.
post #9387 of 10929 Old 01-16-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Just sharing in hopes it will help others experiencing "light engine" trouble.

My 6580 developed posterization issue that is corrected by adjusting the color wheel index - as explained in detail in earlier post. This posterization used to begin only after about 30 minutes of TV on. Adjusting index worked fine for a few months, without further problem.

Recently, new picture issues have surfaced. Posterization is almost immediate, unless index is set very low. Even with setting low, after about 2 hours of TV on, posterization begins followed by flashing blue in the background followed within a couple of minutes by an unwatchable mess. After turning off the TV from this messy state, the screen continues to flash occasionally for a minute or two. Quickly cycling power does not correct the problem, but leaving the TV off for about 10 minutes results in about 20 more minutes of excellent picture again before symptoms reappear. Longer time off approaches the 2hr limit.

The above led me to conclude the observable pq symptoms are heat related. I removed the back cover and positioned a portable room fan behind the TV to blow across the electronics. In this config, the TV runs all day now without problem.

Not knowing root cause, I plan to wait and see if the room fan fix holds. If it continues to work, I will probably add a box fan inside the TV and replace the back cover. I'm starting to wonder if the root cause may be as simple as one or both of the little box fans inside the TV is slowing down.

I have on many earlier occasions mentioned my concerns about the heat buildup within these sets for over two years and always been dismissed. The first thing I did when I purchased my 6580 was to take the back cover off and carve out half the vent louvers out and then place a small 6" fan blowing on the back of the set except the vent where the heat is blown out for the lamp. I strongly encourage this practice with any manufacturer's set where heat is felt to be excessive. I don't encourage connecting a fan inside the unit unless you supply a separate power source for the fan.

It's like the manufacturers plan the heat facor to wear out the set's circuits to encourage continual purchases.

"It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!!!"

Vinny
post #9388 of 10929 Old 01-17-2008, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyboy View Post

..........and then place a small 6" fan blowing on the back of the set except the vent where the heat is blown out for the lamp. I strongly encourage this practice with any manufacturer's set where heat is felt to be excessive................. Vinny

And have you had any problems with your set, or has it been virtually trouble free?

Thanks
post #9389 of 10929 Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Just want to pass the word on- I have an ad in the classifieds here listing the parts up for auction on eBay. Prices are cheap for working parts and I've got perfect feedback, with lots of seller transaction. thanks - rob
post #9390 of 10929 Old 01-17-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:

I started with a fan on both sides (intentional overkill). Once that proved to work, I removed the one on the right. Really a random choice, but I was slightly more suspicious of the power supply and lamp zone. So your fan blows from the right and mine blows from the left - so I doubt it really matters which side as long as there is improved air movement across the back of the TV. I have noticed a little posterization on certain scenes until the TV warms up (about 5 minutes), then it goes away. So I haven't tried running up the CWI, letting it sit, and then putting it back down. The increased airflow seems to have stabilized the situation.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I purchased a new bulb and a new control module from a fellow member back in mid December. They seem to be lost/delayed in shipping. If/when they arrive, I will do a bit more troubleshooting and share the findings. I'm curious if either impacts the posterization and/or CWI settings.

I think there is some confusion with what is the left and right side of the TV in recent discussions. Please specify from what perspective you are taking. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the standard is to take the perspective of a viewer. So what is on your left as you watch the tv is the left side of the tv. On our sets, this would also be the side that has the bulb on it.

Anyway, are those of you that are buying fans to reduce posterization using a PC style fan (if so, what power source do you use) or just a small general home fan. If you have any pics of your setup, I would love to see it. My posterization is starting to get very noticeable and I am going to do something soon.

Jim
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page