The Official HP Pavilion 1080P DLP Owner's Thread - Page 316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9451 of 10924 Old 02-08-2008, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunately, I had bad success with relampit. I sent my bulb to relampit, and received it in what appeared to be good working order. Within three weeks, the bulb had become very dim...the only way to watch anything was with brightness set to 90% (instead of 50%), and this meant that the picture was terrible (bad contrast, etc). I sent the bulb back (relampit was very accommodating and coureous throughout the entire experience), and they re-repaired it and sent it back, at no charge. It again worked well for a few weeks, and then started dimming rapidly. I again contacted relampit, and they promised a refund if I sent them back the bulb for analysis, because they didn't know why it was dimming. I returned the bulb, and received my refund (again, great co-operation, with relampit paying for the shipment). I then ordered an HP bulb, and it has been working flawlessly for 3 months- no degradation or dimming. Therefore, with all respect to the company (with their very good customer service) there appears to be an unknown reason why the repair (at least, in my case) didn't work out. Therefore, I would not recommend sending HP bulbs for these sets to relampit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 10924 Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Patrick,

Thanks for the heads up on relamp I was looking at them myself
post #9453 of 10924 Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronawc View Post

Hi all,

Warning for all those needing a new bulb or other parts. I ordered bulb and control module from Anthony Abdul in the mid December time frame. I allowed standard shipping method (estimated 10-15 days), as there was no super hurry for them. However; the parts never arrived and Anthony contends he shipped them so they are "lost in the mail." While his story of mailing them is plausible, I understand that other members have also ordered parts from Anthony that were "lost in the mail."

If you have had a similar experience, please either PM me or openly respond if you prefer. It would like to have a better understanding of how often items orderd from Anthony get "lost in the mail."

If anyone has advice on actions I can take, I would welcome them as well. At this point, I have no proof that he mailed the items or didn't. Only that I paid him, the parts never arrived, and others claim to have had a similar experience.

Ordered a bulb and main board from Anthony Abdul in August 2007 and never received anything other than the "lost in the mail" excuse.

Jeremy
post #9454 of 10924 Old 02-09-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milbuje View Post

Ordered a bulb and main board from Anthony Abdul in August 2007 and never received anything other than the "lost in the mail" excuse.

Jeremy

I would get a hold of him to get your money back I did
post #9455 of 10924 Old 02-10-2008, 06:42 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Hi all,

Warning for all those needing a new bulb or other parts. I ordered bulb and control module from Anthony Abdul in the mid December time frame. I allowed standard shipping method (estimated 10-15 days), as there was no super hurry for them. However; the parts never arrived and Anthony contends he shipped them so they are "lost in the mail." While his story of mailing them is plausible, I understand that other members have also ordered parts from Anthony that were "lost in the mail."

If you have had a similar experience, please either PM me or openly respond if you prefer. It would like to have a better understanding of how often items orderd from Anthony get "lost in the mail."

If anyone has advice on actions I can take, I would welcome them as well. At this point, I have no proof that he mailed the items or didn't. Only that I paid him, the parts never arrived, and others claim to have had a similar experience.

If you used your credit card (or if you used paypal and you have it set up for them to bill your credit card), go to your bank and tell them to reverse the payment because of non receipt.
post #9456 of 10924 Old 02-10-2008, 02:58 PM

My relampit bulb is just over 3 months old. It has dimmed slightly from initial installed settings. Started with brightness at 47 currently at 57. The TV is on for about 4-5 hours a day. It should be noted that the bulb I received was stamped with a rating of 135 watts. The original bulb is rated for 150w, so I am not concerned about the difference in the settings from the original bulb. I don't know how long HP will continue to supply bulbs. I went with relampit because of the outrageous price for bulbs from HP Canada. Its now at $477 unbelievable when the our dollar is now very close to the American dollar.
post #9457 of 10924 Old 02-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Jeremy,

Anthony absolutely contends he shipped my parts and promises he will "make good" on any/all the folks that have had items "lost in the mail." In my example, his definition of making good was to make a partial reimbursement ($400 of $550) under the threat of fraud charges from several of us that banded together. I understand he made full reimbursements to others. I recommend you try to get your money back and that you publish your results on this forum and a couple of other sites as well. Note that Anthony will likely try to get you to agree to remove any references to the incident. I would not do that and suggest that you do not either. I view that action as selling out the good folks on this forum.

RLB,

Thanks for the suggestion with regards to credit cards or paypal. If I had, I be more likely to either have the parts or gotten all my money back. I don't regret the EMT process for use with most folks. I will require tracking on all future deliveries simply because tracking allows us to know what happened.

In restrospect, I've benefited much by treating others with a high degree of trust and respect. Unfortunately, not all people warrant that level trust and respect. Luckily, those that do far out number those that don't.

I do feel an obligation to my fellow forum members to point out the results of my effort to take a trusting approach with this individual. If others with similar experiences likewise document them, the problem will hopefully self-correct without the need for legal action or the negative consequences to all involved.

Best regards.
Ron
post #9458 of 10924 Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM

Just thought I would ask the experts about what might prove to be a completely silly idea...

Anyone suggest a best approach to using this 65" TV as a PC monitor? The resulting resolution and screen size seems to change dramatically depending on settings/inputs used. What input is better - VGA or HDMI (via DVI-D cable converter)? Are there particular settings that should work better than others?

I'm not yet attempting movies or games or other PC based activities, just trying to play with the concept of a mega monitor for basic activities such as email, Word, Excel, etc.

During my initial trial and error expermintation, it seems the VGA input produces much more readible print characters. I also noticed that if I use an additional monitor as an extension, it seemed to impact the image displayed depending on which monitor was designated primary. I was using an 24" Acer as the second monitor.

FYI, I'm using ATI Catalyst Control for ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 adapter within a Compaq nc8430 laptop and associated docking station.
post #9459 of 10924 Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Just thought I would ask the experts about what might prove to be a completely silly idea...

Anyone suggest a best approach to using this 65" TV as a PC monitor? The resulting resolution and screen size seems to change dramatically depending on settings/inputs used. What input is better - VGA or HDMI (via DVI-D cable converter)? Are there particular settings that should work better than others?

I'm not yet attempting movies or games or other PC based activities, just trying to play with the concept of a mega monitor for basic activities such as email, Word, Excel, etc.

During my initial trial and error expermintation, it seems the VGA input produces much more readible print characters. I also noticed that if I use an additional monitor as an extension, it seemed to impact the image displayed depending on which monitor was designated primary. I was using an 24" Acer as the second monitor.

FYI, I'm using ATI Catalyst Control for ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 adapter within a Compaq nc8430 laptop and associated docking station.

I use my 65" as a monitor on a daily basis. I have a Sapphire Radeon 3450 HD on my system. I drive the HP at either 1280x720x60hz (720p) or 1920x1080x60hz (1080p) via the HDMI input port on the 6580n.

But, when driving at 1080p, you need to change the 'aspect' (on your HP remote) so that the TV will overscan. If not, text will appeared blurred. The idea is to do 1:1 pixel displaying. However, once you overscan, the outer edge of the Desktop (assuming your running Windows) will be under the TV's mask. So, you need to resize your desktop so that it 'fits' into the display area. I was told that there is a way of doing this using ATI's Catalyst Control by using the desktop area setting.
post #9460 of 10924 Old 02-12-2008, 06:30 AM

Thanks! I will attempt your suggestions. You give me renewed hope of improved performance.
post #9461 of 10924 Old 02-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

I would get a hold of him to get your money back I did

Contacted Anthony Abdul and was offered 20% of what I paid.
post #9462 of 10924 Old 02-14-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:

How many people did Anthony fleece? BTW, this is by definition wire fraud.

"Wire fraud is a legal concept in the United States Code which provides for enhanced penalty of any criminally fraudulent activity if it is determined that the activity involved electronic communications of any kind, at any phase of the event. As in the case of mail fraud, this statute is often used as a basis for a separate federal prosecution of what would otherwise have been only a violation of a state law."
post #9463 of 10924 Old 02-14-2008, 09:38 AM

ok guys while my set has been perfect since i got it, i think the bulb blew out on my last night, not sure. but where can i get a replacement from? i remember way back when that someone was seeling them on ebay for a good price but cant find it any more, so any advise on where to get a replacement bulb.
post #9464 of 10924 Old 02-14-2008, 10:04 AM

I ordered from the HP website and got free shipping and it arrived in about 3 days. Here is the url:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/e...ssories/L2114A

take care,

Terry
post #9465 of 10924 Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 AM

Buy it from HP and be done with it... You will pay more, but you will get it and it will work. The only alternatives I know about are discussed on the last few pages of the forum. I will summarize as:

Anthony - offers lowest cost alternative but seems to have an alarming "lost in the mail" rate. If you want to swim in that pool, be sure to use shipment method that requires tracking capability and use payment method that puts you in control of your money should a problem arise (such as doesn't arrive or arrives broken).

Relampit - send your bulb in for remanufacture, offers lower cost but folks are reporting problems with reliability and brightness.

HP - direct order off website. Fast (overnight if you like), easy, effective, most expensive.
post #9466 of 10924 Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Buy it from HP and be done with it... You will pay more, but you will get it and it will work. The only alternatives I know about are discussed on the last few pages of the forum. I will summarize as:

Anthony - offers lowest cost alternative but seems to have an alarming "lost in the mail" rate. If you want to swim in that pool, be sure to use shipment method that requires tracking capability and use payment method that puts you in control of your money should a problem arise (such as doesn't arrive or arrives broken).

Relampit - send your bulb in for remanufacture, offers lower cost but folks are reporting problems with reliability and brightness.

HP - direct order off website. Fast (overnight if you like), easy, effective, most expensive.

Good advice that is exactly what I did
post #9467 of 10924 Old 02-15-2008, 02:30 PM

Liked: 12
Don't know him and have never dealt with him. But others have...

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=547074
post #9468 of 10924 Old 02-16-2008, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrhall View Post

Don't know him and have never dealt with him. But others have...

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=547074

Wow that is F'N amazing.
post #9469 of 10924 Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 AM

Clearly a pattern has emerged and prosecution is clearly warranted. At least we have finally shined a little light on his criminal activities.

He first stole $550 from me, then returned $400 of it. Had the items actually been lost in the mail, I would have accepted that as an acceptable settlement. Given his clear pattern of lost items, I now see it as successful theft of $150. I'm supposed to feel good about letting him steal from me and other members of the forum???

I think we should ecourage authorities to investigate how he is obtaining his bulbs in the first place. Given his track record of lost items, I now suspect he may be obtaining the bulbs illegally in the first place. I think keeping things in the PM space helped keep more of us as potential victims. Now he must hope that we don't band together to bring fraud charges, and that agreements made to get some of our money back is helping to protect him from prosecution.

Perhaps we should attempt to expose his method of obtaining the bulbs could produce some additional pressure for him to return the rest of our money.

Meanwhile he keeps spinning cover stories. You will love the latest BS message I received from Anthony appended below... Of course, I never receive copies of any of the materials that would support any of his stories.

"I was recently notified that electronics shipped with my name on it may have been held up in customs or destroyed. I am not sure what to say other then I have contacted customs and they do not have anything held with my name as the shipper. With a name like abdul they are stating that packages may be opened, destroyed or returned to sender when crossing the border. Seems that this may be a reason that I need to investigate futher, however thus far my search has yielded no results."
post #9470 of 10924 Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:

UPDATE - Anthony has now offered a 40% settlement. I will not accept a settlement agreement.

Per the instructions from the RCMP, have reported this incident (and this thread) on ic3.gov
post #9471 of 10924 Old 02-18-2008, 08:12 PM

I personally have offered to work things out for the buyers who claim that the goods were not received.

I have given refunds to those that have had issues - and in turn have received PM's and emails confirming that this was suffice and no other payment is required and there would be no complaints or other issues. I have no way of knowing who has actually received there packages and who has not - other then those shipped with full insurance and tracking.

ISSUES ARE: Ron = $425 paid (as he requested) out of $550 and Jeremy = $0 paid (requested $250 but decided to file a report instead) out of $500

anthonyabdul.com shows my feedback and this can be researched and reviewed to show that all listed are true and accurate and the words of the actual buyer. I also have a complete file with receipts, custom forms, and other information for proof.

I offered the refunds as if I did not receive something I had ordered, I would have been upset. Now I do feel as if I was taken for a ride, as if 1 or 2 people claim to not receive and disclose the information to the forum, then others may follow even if they had received there packages. It makes me out to look wrong, but there is no proof that the 'claims' of non receipt are true.

I have outstanding issues with Jeremy who had requested $250 to close this issue via email and with Ron who requested a total refund $425, which I sent, and he stated this was a done deal - however he has chosen to reopen it. I should have never sent that refund on good faith and belief of non receipt. The way it seems is he took advantage of me and it was easy - and now wants more, even though we had an agreement. Now he has filed a claim anyways, even after 'closing this issue' If Jeremy had worked this out as I had tried to on several attempts, and if Ron had stuck by his word, then there would be no issues. I would have sent the refunds to make the buyers pleased, and taken this as a loss.

Jeremy (milbuje) - based on his situation I made an offer of what would have been covered had he purchased insurance and he declined and then requested $250 to close this issue which I countered with $200 as I felt that was more then fair. He then replied stating he would escalate this to the RCMP. I would much rather not take this to court as the time and money on the buyers part is not worth it + I am more then willing to work things out in a civil manner. I have a MD5880N stand left but no other parts - if I did, they would be out with tracking and insurance to replace the parts.

Ron (ronawx) - he had requested $400 + $25 in fees (actual fees were less then that) to be paid to close the matter. I accepted this offer and made the refund and was guaranteed no other claims / reports / threats would be made after this payment was received and no reports to ruin my name, and that this would be closed. As I now see - this has changed even after we closed and he has filed a formal report on me. I guess he went against his word - I never did and worked with him to resolve this on his terms.

So with that, I have lost a fair deal with this. I have in turn lost money, rather then make money off the sale of these parts. I sold them to help the owners of the HP MDTV's as HP had turned there backs on the customers (in terms of support and parts) - and felt I was doing right by selling for less then retail pricing. In my feedback you can even see return customers. Now yes - it looks bad that I have had a few lost/stolen/destroyed or whatever, but I kept in contact and tried my best to resolve them as best as I could.

I most recently sold a $600 Blu Ray Player and the buyer had no issues. I sell many high value items with no issues, but then these ones where I am haggled on the price, and negotiated to include shipping etc... seem to have put me in a bad position.

As for this site: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=547074

I had sold a V3i to bubble.tea - prior to shipping I declared the phone had an issue - I offered a full refund prior to shipping, but the buyer said to ship it anyways and refund $35 which I did. He accepted the phone to be sold 'as is' and I shipped it to him. Immediately after shipping the phone I noticed I had forgot to ship the charger, and packaged and shipped that out immediately. He then complained about the phone being water damaged and showed me pictures. I was not sure if I should take it back as he had taken the phone apart but I asked for him to return it for a full refund, and he declined and asked for a partial refund which I agreed to. He stated that someone tried to buy the phone off him and claims it was me - but it was not. He has had it out for me ever since and is dragging my name in the dirt. I have full records for this conversation / deal and agreement.

There is another member JAC - that also has had it out for me since I listed Louis Vuitton purses for sale - which I then learned were fake and removed my ad. That post is showing up and causing me a lot of pain. I try to buy things and when people see that, they don't want to deal with me. They even try to tie other people / user names to me (luvmeright / cellphonelove / ubuywesell / mr.dvdz@gmail / paypal id is cellphoneman2004@hotmail / eggie - that have NOTHING to do with me (AUTHORITIES can easily investigate and prove these are not me) They are confused or just don't care that they are attaching problems to be that have nothing to do with me and making me out to be the bad person and to look like a scammer. The thread they have on me actually has an actual scammer (samolin2) posting that I was interested in something he was selling - and he turned out to be the scammer and posted in that thread and is now banned - and there is a HUGE thread on his actions and countless user names. http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=548866 - now that is a scammer. Authorities should take him down - people should file reports and claims on him.

My name is my user name, my email and my website. Its as simple as that. This can all be traced / used to determine they are true / etc...

BubbleTea is also posting that I am a scammer, my wife, and my son - his is outrageous and not right to say. I did nothing wrong, and my wife and son did nothing at all. I have asked Ron to send him a PM since they are in contact, and request him to remove this. I thought Ron and I were working things out and had resolved them, but now he has posted on that site as well trying to ruin me.

I have used my real name and information and have been in constant communication with the buyers that have emailed me with issues.

So yes - I do agree that reading all this seems terrible. What about the good transactions and happy customers? What about me working with the buyers to fix the problems? The only way I could deal with this, given a bad name, was to work out an agreement with the buyers, make the refund and never to ship again without full insurance (not the minimum). This will never happen to me again - if there is any issue, the buyer will be reimbursed in full at no expense to me - but I will help if required.
post #9472 of 10924 Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Abdul no offense, but you seem shady. You might want to freshen up your business tatics to further avoid issues, it's obvious your current method has flaws for both yourself & customers.

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #9473 of 10924 Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 AM

Hello,

I am considering selling my HP 5880N TV and I was wondering how much I could sell it for. I also have a spare bulb with one year time on it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
post #9474 of 10924 Old 02-19-2008, 05:24 PM

Milbuje - Great Idea!!! I have followed your lead. It is quite easy/quick to file a complaint at www.ic3.gov. For those that might not know about IC#, it is a joint enforcement effort of Candian Royal Mounted Police and the FBI.

I encourage and recommend all those with lost in the mail items also take the time and effort to file. A higher number of complaints will likely improve the odds of official action.
post #9475 of 10924 Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Growler,

Thanks for the tip. Seems to work OK per your instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler13 View Post

I use my 65" as a monitor on a daily basis. I have a Sapphire Radeon 3450 HD on my system. I drive the HP at either 1280x720x60hz (720p) or 1920x1080x60hz (1080p) via the HDMI input port on the 6580n.

But, when driving at 1080p, you need to change the 'aspect' (on your HP remote) so that the TV will overscan. If not, text will appeared blurred. The idea is to do 1:1 pixel displaying. However, once you overscan, the outer edge of the Desktop (assuming your running Windows) will be under the TV's mask. So, you need to resize your desktop so that it 'fits' into the display area. I was told that there is a way of doing this using ATI's Catalyst Control by using the desktop area setting.

post #9476 of 10924 Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeD View Post

Hello,

I am considering selling my HP 5880N TV and I was wondering how much I could sell it for. I also have a spare bulb with one year time on it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

About a month ago I saw a new Toshiba 65" DLP on sale at Fry's for $999.99. I thought it had a great picture, but I did not spend too much time looking at it.

Personally, I don't think I would buy a used 5880n for $500 when I could buy a new Toshiba for $1000. Maybe if you have a transferable extended warranty, it would help.

On the other hand, it would make a nice gift for a friend or family member that still has an SD CRT.

-Dave
post #9477 of 10924 Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 PM

Anyone have any advice on how to handle the tv when moving? I have movers coming, but was wondering if it would make sense to take the bulb out or there were any other precautions to take?

Thanks

Jim
post #9478 of 10924 Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzo View Post

Anyone have any advice on how to handle the tv when moving? I have movers coming, but was wondering if it would make sense to take the bulb out or there were any other precautions to take?
Jim

Don't take out the bulb. These TVs are normally shipped with the bulb inside. Besides, any jolt big enough to the TV to cause the bulb inside to get damaged will most certainly destroy the TV anyway!

If you kept the original box, that would be the ideal way to ship. If not, make sure the movers know how to properly pack up a big screen TV, and that there is some sort of insurance included in the moving costs.

"Your Karma ran over my Dogma"
post #9479 of 10924 Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 AM

Hi All,

Time for some custom resolutions!

Nvidia has just released the 174.16 drivers, and the folks on Guru3D have moded it to work on the 8800 series nvidia cards.

What's awesome about the 174's is that they finally enable the ability to create custom resolutions, which it seems are necessary to get a good desktop experience out of my HTPC, due to overscan.

I tried going through the 9000 messages here, but haven't seen what I need. I'm trying to understand the appropriate timings and resolutions to output to my md5880n. The custom-resolutions interface has a LOT of features on it regarding verticle, horizontal refresh rates, encoding types, etc. Are the appropriate input timings, and such for the documented anywhere for our sets?
post #9480 of 10924 Old 02-27-2008, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbramlet View Post

Hi All,

Time for some custom resolutions!

Nvidia has just released the 174.16 drivers, and the folks on Guru3D have moded it to work on the 8800 series nvidia cards.

What's awesome about the 174's is that they finally enable the ability to create custom resolutions, which it seems are necessary to get a good desktop experience out of my HTPC, due to overscan.

I tried going through the 9000 messages here, but haven't seen what I need. I'm trying to understand the appropriate timings and resolutions to output to my md5880n. The custom-resolutions interface has a LOT of features on it regarding verticle, horizontal refresh rates, encoding types, etc. Are the appropriate input timings, and such for the documented anywhere for our sets?

so do you have this version running? which card? which OS?

Just another blank signature.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page