The Official HP Pavilion 1080P DLP Owner's Thread - Page 355 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10621 of 10890 Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, sorry to say I have joined the ranks of Ex HP owners.

I had the 65" version for a little over 5 years, and loved the thing. There was the problem of heat and the posterization appearance after a few years of ownership, but I did solve that problem with additional air flow. Until the end, the TV provided an excellent picture.

In my case I had a five year extended warranty with Best Buy here in Canada. As the end of the warranty period approached, I decided it was best to exercise my option to get a full monetary refund for a flawed TV. I removed the additional TV cooling and arranged for a Best Buy tech to confirm the TV was bad'. The posterization appeared on cue and the tech said It's toast, and not repairable since parts are not available

The issue for many owners is clearly heat, and a mechanism for heat dissipation from the TV. Here's a photo of what I did.

I pumped air into the cardboard shroud using my basement bathroom fan. The fan power came from the switched outlet on my PVR, so that when the PVR was turned on, on came the fan. I added a dimmer switch to allow the fan speed to be adjusted (less air needed in the winter).

I did create a little web site about 5 years ago that included a link to the Service Manual for this DLP TV. I'll leave this up for those interested. http://www.cykf.net/hp_stuff.htm

I also have a brand new unused bulb, a bulb with a year and a half of use, and the remote control. I'll probably try to sell these on Ebay, but offer them here first. If anyone is interested, I'd be looking to sell these 3 items as a package for $200 plus postage.

Finally, many thanks to DarrellH for starting this entire thread, and to all the other contributors, who in my case, helped me solve my posterization issue, and allowed me to enjoy this TV as long as possible.

Cheers,
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 10890 Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

At this point, I think there is a lot of anecdotal evidence the providing additional cooling can greatly extend the life. One of the first sets to go was from an owner in Hawaii where average highs are above 80F all year long. The owner did not have air conditioning. My house tends to be cool, and my TV has been fine with the back off. I know another owner that has had no problems with his TV in a cool basement, and another owner that had his TV in a west-facing family room that would often get hot near the end of the day when people would watch TV, and he had problems after only two years of ownership.

However, back in 2006 I think the pattern was less clear.

-Dave
post #10623 of 10890 Old 06-26-2011, 01:45 PM

I've got these horizontal lines blinking at such a rapid rate that you can't tell it's blinking (you just see the lines). The only way you can tell it's blinking is by taking a picture JUST at the right time.

What's causing it?
Color wheel or Mainboard or Something else?

Thanks

post #10624 of 10890 Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Liked: 13
My fans can't keep the set cool any longer, and the set never lasts longer than 15 minutes before turning purple. Time to move on.
post #10625 of 10890 Old 07-03-2011, 12:11 PM

I have now joined the ranks of the ex-owners of this once fine machine. Anyone who needs a 65" stand in the bay area for close to nothing, let me know.
post #10626 of 10890 Old 07-04-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm moving to a smaller place and have to get rid of my MD5880 + HP stand.
My TV never had any overheating issues. A few years ago it developed a thin purple line down the left edge and has some input switching issues. Any ideas what I can expect to get for this TV? (LOL)

"Your Karma ran over my Dogma"
post #10627 of 10890 Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 PM

You can get it a coffin! Hah!
post #10628 of 10890 Old 07-12-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
You can get it a coffin! Hah!
You must be a prophet! My MD5880 light engine finally gave up the ghost today.

R.I.P Nov 2005 - July 2011

I too join the growing ranks of former HP Pavilion HDTV owners.

I'm very curious to know how many functioning sets are out there? 10?
2011 seems to be a big year for these TVs expiring.

This thread and the helpful folks posting in it have really added value to my purchase. Thanks and Take care!!

"Your Karma ran over my Dogma"
post #10629 of 10890 Old 07-12-2011, 05:32 PM

My MD65 just made a pop and picture went out. Blue light flashes. I don't think that's the light assembly but I'm not spending the $$ to find out. If anybody wants it for parts as well as the stand for free just send an email to me at: manyfacets@msn.com. I'm in Minneapolis and you'd have to arrange getting it. They'll be here for about a week then it all goes into the dumpster.

I am now too a former HP owner
post #10630 of 10890 Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyfacets View Post
My MD65 just made a pop and picture went out.
That sure sounds like a lamp going to me. Does the lamp look OK? If you still like the TV and are not having any other issues, perhaps one of the "soon to be" former owners above would sell you a used lamp for cheap.

My TV is still going strong. It will be six years this Fall. However, when it finally dies I will be happy to move on. There have been a lot of advances over the last six years.

The picture still looks fantastic. It's probably not that different from the day I got the TV.

-Dave
post #10631 of 10890 Old 07-13-2011, 05:46 AM

I still have one of the 10 left. Went through a light engine replacement in 2009. The picture is still great and I haven't had to make any cooling modifications.
post #10632 of 10890 Old 07-13-2011, 06:06 AM

My set was manufactured in Nov 2005 and purchased in March 2006. It is still going strong, on the second bulb.

I had the light engine replaced within the first year (noisy). It still looks as good as it did then. The set sees light duty - that's the only reason I think it has lasted this long.

My only issue is that I can't use the tuning functions without locking up the controls - and occasionally, after heavy use, it won't turn off from the remote control.

I have the set on a large UPS - my fear is that the power will go out while in use and the bulb will be damaged. I hope to keep it going for another year or two and then I look forward to replacing it with a 65" 3D LCD...
post #10633 of 10890 Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
My 6580 is still going strong *knocks on wood*. I am on my third bulb, and have a spare waiting! We use our TV quite a lot, and frankly I am surprised it is still going based on what I have read here. Picture is still really great, although I had the 'purple line', which I had to get rid of by pushing on that metal plate as described way back.
post #10634 of 10890 Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 AM

My 5880 is still going good-as-new (since 2006) on it's second bulb...I've got third (used) as a backup. I credit its "longevity" and rare issues to being in my nice cool basement setup. I'm not sure what would be characterized as heavy usage, but I suspect I'm below average.

I've never had any heat-related issue so haven't felt the need for any of the extraordinary measures that many have tried to mitigate their issues. If anything happens, however, I will be moving on...perhaps to a projector.

Here's to hoping for another few years out the bulbs I have on hand!
post #10635 of 10890 Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine_slayer View Post

The picture is still great and I haven't had to make any cooling modifications.

IMO, by the time you need to make cooling modifications it is probably too late.

I did not do anything extraordinary, I just removed the back panel and the panels behind the front door, and I use a Popsicle stick to activate the lamp safety switch. So far this has been enough.

-Dave
post #10636 of 10890 Old 07-15-2011, 06:06 PM

I have two new bulbs for HP MD5880n DLP and would like to sell both as my light engine is now pooched. pmurtha@wilkinsonsteel.com
post #10637 of 10890 Old 07-20-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

If anyone in the Houston area would like a 65, come get it.

The light engine is posterizing pretty bad after 20 minutes or so. The bulb is 8 months old. Everything else seems to be working.

It goes to the dump Saturday!
post #10638 of 10890 Old 07-22-2011, 05:27 AM

Sorry to see you go DH. Thanks for starting this thread. The information in here was the only way many of us could keep these sets going. 355 pages and almost 6 years. Impressive. Most impressive.
post #10639 of 10890 Old 07-23-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine_slayer View Post
Sorry to see you go DH. Thanks for starting this thread. The information in here was the only way many of us could keep these sets going. 355 pages and almost 6 years. Impressive. Most impressive.
It was a pleasure. This thread had some amazing contributers. I just wish the sets lasted as long as the thread
post #10640 of 10890 Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 PM

If anyone needs a bulb, mine is not old with light use. $60 shipped.

I'm going to remove the bulb and speakers and kill the rest.
post #10641 of 10890 Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 PM

Hey everyone, I'm a long time lurker of this thread and I've known for a long time that one day my own Pavilion would fail as well one day... and the time has finally come. But luckily my problem is a little different than most, my bulb is fine, the fans work and the color wheel is still running... This is my problem in case anyone recognizes it:

The TV will turn on and work for maybe ~8 minutes before the power gets cut entirely and it's shut down. Then you can pull the plug out and re-plug it back in and it'll only go for maybe 1-2 minutes before the power dies again. My thoughts right now are that it's either a problem with the ballast or one of the sensors is tripping in correctly. This problem began after a bulb blew and a replacement was put in so there may be some correlation. The fans are running and the bulb and the parts aren't particularly hot after it cuts its power.

So now I'm trying to fix it because I'm sure it can be fixed. Right now I'm looking for an entire power brick & the wires attached (the entire part inside the yellow square in my picture) in the back where the power cord plugs in. If anyone has one would it be possible for you to send it to me? I could send you money through PayPal to pay for shipping and your time; if anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Edit1: As of today 9/3/11 I've been able to repair my tv. It was a problem with the power supply or the bottom third of the power brick image that I posted. Let's see how long it works!
LL
post #10642 of 10890 Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 PM

As much as it pains me to do so, I'm selling my 65" MD6580N.

The unit works perfectly. I've had it about 6 years now and have had no issues whatsoever (*knocks on wood*) I also have the HP stand and a HP OEM spare bulb, which I just checked the other day to make sure it works.

I would also consider parting it out for the light engine if the price were right...

PM me for more info

I'm in the phoenix, AZ area. looking for $500 for the package

SOLD!
post #10643 of 10890 Old 08-09-2011, 05:04 AM

I hate to say it, but I'm now an unhappy member of the ex-HP crowd. I had one warranty service, two non-warranty services (one incident, had to come back to re-aim the screen), two bulbs, and a light engine. Mine ran hot throughout its lifetime, and would occasionally go to red light and have be cooled off before using again. Mine had pretty heavy use in the Northeast US, not tropical.

Loved it when it worked, left it posterized long enough for the wife to finally give up and tell me to go get another TV. Picked up a Panasonic GT30 plasma, HP is under a sheet until I figure out what to do with it. Got a fairly new bulb and a spare too, but this set is toast so I wouldn't give it to anyone I like...

----------

"If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
post #10644 of 10890 Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 PM

I have a 5880n. Going good after light engine replacement.
However, my HDMI inputs are no longer working (tried multiple sources).
Looking for a mainboard from anyone whose parting out their TV.
I'm in Phoenix area.
post #10645 of 10890 Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Just found this forum. I have had a MD5880 for several years, Not sure how many but it was just before HP went out of the DLP and TV business all together. Any way it has worked fine until a few months ago. Then it started having picture problems and occasionally posted a message on the screen that the Lamp needed replacing.

Well the picture problems were what I would call saturation especially in the faces. It would lack contrast and saturate to one color. I replaced the bulb and it did not help. (I have heard the term posturizing in the forum and not sure if that is the same thing.)

Now recently while switching back to the original bulb it quite working completely. It won't turn on either bulb. I don't think the bulb was the problem. Looking for any thoughts. I am wondering if it is the ballast for the light that has gone. Where would I get replacements. Or I part with it.

Any thoughts.
post #10646 of 10890 Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 PM

Thank you everyone who has posted in this thread these past 5 years. I'm disappointed that HP bailed on a fantastic tv, but it was great while it lasted.

So, where to go next? A year ago I would have gotten a 65" Mits DLP, but now I'm not so sure. I like brightness of the Plasma & LED/LCD sets, but my budget is $1500 which limits me to 60" or so. The reviews for the Mitsubishi DLP sets compain about the images being dim, which was my complaint for the HP. Any thoughts? I'm definitely going to be researching the current sets on avsforum this next week, but with Labor Day coming I'd like to have a head start. I don't want to wait until Black Friday.

Lastly, if anyone needs a bulb, you can have mine for $40 shipped. Installed in March of this year and barely used. PM me if interested.

Thanks again everyone!
post #10647 of 10890 Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post

Thank you everyone who has posted in this thread these past 5 years. I'm disappointed that HP bailed on a fantastic tv, but it was great while it lasted.

So, where to go next? A year ago I would have gotten a 65" Mits DLP, but now I'm not so sure. I like brightness of the Plasma & LED/LCD sets, but my budget is $1500 which limits me to 60" or so. The reviews for the Mitsubishi DLP sets compain about the images being dim, which was my complaint for the HP. Any thoughts? I'm definitely going to be researching the current sets on avsforum this next week, but with Labor Day coming I'd like to have a head start. I don't want to wait until Black Friday.

Lastly, if anyone needs a bulb, you can have mine for $40 shipped. Installed in March of this year and barely used. PM me if interested.

Thanks again everyone!

I know someone that replaced an HP DLP with an inexpensive Mitsubishi DLP, and in my opinion, the HP DLP looked better.

I prefer the PQ of plasma sets, but they are energy hogs. Once I calculated that the extra energy required to power a 65" plasma compared to a 65" HP DLP over the average life of an HP lamp would cost enough to more than pay for a new HP lamp. Of course, lamps are cheaper now.

I guess I would get the nicest LCD with LED backlighting that you can afford. With LED backlighting, the set should last a long time and be efficient to operate.

-Dave
post #10648 of 10890 Old 08-27-2011, 01:25 PM

I chose the 70" 4 color LED/LCD at $3k, unfortunately - so I went instead with a 720p 3d projector! Can't beat 120" diagonal at night! This'll keep me happy for a year.
post #10649 of 10890 Old 09-01-2011, 05:54 PM

My MD5880n is now exhibiting what I believe is called posterization (extra color in a shadow pattern, and color smearing including color blotches and streaks. However, it's only one color (red) -- I'd heard it usually affects all colors, and if I turn the R Gain down to zero in the Advanced color settings, the effect mostly goes away (replaced with mostly clear picture which has a serious green/blue tint).

It's not heat sensitive (starts as soon as the TV is turned on). Changing the color wheel changes the color of the effect, but doesn't eliminate it.

Has anybody seen/fixed this before? I have a hypothesis as to what's wrong, but would like to know if anyone can confirm.

Thanks,
John
post #10650 of 10890 Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 PM

My set decided to start doing the bleeding blue across the screen tonight while watching Up with the kids. Going to have to try and clean it out and see if it's a problem with overheating.

LG55LV5500
Sony Onkyo SR503 Receiver
Athena AS-B1/C1 Front/Center/Rear
Dayton 12" Sub
Sony NS70H DVD player
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page