The Official HP Pavilion 1080P DLP Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 10931 Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
AVIDAV, if you want to test out whether or not you are getting 1:1 pixel mapping here is an old test pattern that has been used by a lot of AVS members to determine whether a display could do 1:1 pixel mapping. You save the image to your hard drive and than set it as your wallpaper with the tile setting. The test pattern was originally posted here. For anyone curious this relates to AVIDAV's post made in this post, which he asked to be answered in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 10931 Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Other things you might want to know. HDTV PQ is 35mm film like. "LOST" was unbelievable. Audio synch problems almost nonexistent from all sources despite heavy processing. There can't possibly be a better sounding RPTV. Subwoofer has defeat mode. And this is a biggie-you can stretch video that isn't in HDTV at that particular time and will be at least DVD quality.
post #93 of 10931 Old 10-19-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

AVIDAV, if you want to test out whether or not you are getting 1:1 pixel mapping here is an old test pattern that has been used by a lot of AVS members to determine whether a display could do 1:1 pixel mapping. You save the image to your hard drive and than set it as your wallpaper with the tile setting. The test pattern was originally posted here.

Remember there is no 1:1 pixel mapping until TI's next chip in 06', This is a wobulated but better value world.
post #94 of 10931 Old 10-19-2005, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
That is true for moving video but I believe that for stationary video, like an image, you can get 1:1 pixel mapping with a wobulated DLP chip.
post #95 of 10931 Old 10-19-2005, 09:56 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO Perfect HDTV View Post

some other 1080p RPTVs have been able to display excellent 1920x1080 over HDMI with some overscan, but none of them over VGA.
Did you try the VGA port at all? Did the HDMI had any overscan? How did 1600x1200 was even able to be displayed?
Damn your statement raise so many questions

Not really. Samsung 1080p sets do perfect 1:1 pixel mapping with 1920x1080 at 60Hz (1080p) over VGA with no tweaks. It just works even with modest graphics cards, and the picture from HTPC is stunning especially when playing DVD movies. Getting 1080i to work over HDMI on other RPTV sets has been very, very difficult.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...50#post6386350
post #96 of 10931 Old 10-19-2005, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post

Can owners please comment on how loud their fans are? Mine seems silent...

Let me rephrase... if you don't consider your fan silent/unnoticeable, please post or let me know. Thanks.

I haven't even heard mine...I'm sure there is some sound from it, but haven't noticed any. My old Panny had a fan that ran 24/7, and this one is silent after the cool down period.
post #97 of 10931 Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you guys give this a shot and see if you have the same problems? TW Cable is coming Friday to install digital cable/SA 8300 HDVR w/HDMI input, etc., but in the meantime it appears there may be a bug w/the sound when running cable directly into the TV. Also, maybe a problem w/the remote.

Two potential bugs...can you guys check and see if you see these problems:

First issue:
1. Connect cable TV input to RF input on set
2. Tune in digital channel (e.g., NBC HD)
3. Verify sound and picture are normal
4. Turn off set
5. Turn on set

Expected: Picture and sound return normally

Actual: Picture appears, sound does not, until you change channel from digital to non-digital channel. This is with sound output from the set to receiver via stereo RCA outputs.

Second issue:

1. Program remote to operate receiver (in my case, Sony, using 3013 code, I think).
2. Confirm correct operation of power, volume, and mute.
3. Press other keys on remote (number keys, channel keys, etc.
4. Press volume up/down or mute.

Actual: The remote can no longer control the receiver

Expected: The remote can control the receiver volume and mute, no matter what keys you press on the remote (as long as you don't change to another device via the Device key).
post #98 of 10931 Old 10-19-2005, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneen View Post

I was wondering about warranty also - does HP provide an extended warranty or does this have to be purchased through a 3rd party?

I don't remember one...and don't see anything about that on the order pages...to be sure you'd have to call HP and ask, but I don't think they offer one.

You could get one from secondary EW offerers...
post #99 of 10931 Old 10-19-2005, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

With split screen on this set, the two sides aren't as large as they look like they could be...can you guys confirm? I didn't have time to look into it, and on the road now, but is there a way to increase the size of the screens in split-screen mode so that they fill up more of the available space?
post #100 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Another question for fellow 1080p owners...

I was looking into starting to set up my Harmony remote to control the HP last night. Source selection is obviously a critical part of any activity (e.g., Watch TV, Watch DVD)....trouble is, the HP sets don't appear to have a "next input" command. The Source button opens the list of sources...press it again and the thumbnail view appears. But there doesn't appear to be "select and display the next input" command available.

I need that (or a discreet code to go to a specific input, which I doubt exists) in order to use my Harmony to automate changing between activities.

Anyone found a "next input" command? Without that it's going to be impossible to automate source selection...quite a bit bummed if that's the way it is....
post #101 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question about 4:3 material on this set:

Without stretching the material, are the bars on the sides of 4:3 movies black or grey or do you have a choice? (I assume there are no bars on the bottom of 4:3 material, correct?)

Thanks for all the pictures and reports! Great to read what you early adopters are finding.
post #102 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO Perfect HDTV View Post

looking at the design i would say it's an LG

It is not a rebadged unit.
post #103 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneen View Post

I was wondering about warranty also - does HP provide an extended warranty or does this have to be purchased through a 3rd party?

HP does offer an extended warranty. Pricing and purchase can be obtained through technical support at 1-800-474-6836. It will extend by two years out to a full three years.
post #104 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

HP does offer an extended warranty. Pricing and purchase can be obtained through technical support at 1-800-474-6836. It will extend by two years out to a full three years.

Also, if you can, use a credit card that doubles the maufacturer's warranty. This is free and with AMEX, I know it is a painless process if something goes wrong in the "extended" warranty period.
post #105 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post

Also, if you can, use a credit card that doubles the maufacturer's warranty. This is free and with AMEX, I know it is a painless process if something goes wrong in the "extended" warranty period.

None of the cards "double" the warranty period beyond 1 year of extra service. So if the tv is warrantied for a year-- you'll get 1 extra year beyond the "Original Manufacturer's warranty" -- not any extended warrantee period. For AMEX you can call a special number 1-800-225-3750 for more info or to file a claim.
post #106 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 08:46 AM

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster. Just wanted to thank you all for your input. I've been researching HDTV's for over a year now and have finally decided on the HP md6580n over the 60" Sony SXRD, mainly for its 1080p inputs, bigger screen size & better design. I have 2 questions for those who are lucky enough to already have one of these babies in their possession. First, I just purchased an OPPO upconverting DVD player w/ DVI out. Will there be any loss of PQ due to using a DVI-HDMI converter rather than a direct HDMI input that other players support? Second, I will be getting an HD digital cable box w/ HD-DVR. In my neck of the woods (Tampa, FL), the local cable company does not support HDMI & recommended using component for cable. Will there be noticable, if any, loss in PQ and possible audio problems with component rather than HDMI? Thanks for all the help & input.
post #107 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 08:47 AM

I have the 58" and am sitting 8' away. I just got connected with HD cable yesterday and the picture is awesome at 8'. Heck, it is even awesome at 4'. However if you are stuck watching a nonHD channel, then 8' would be the minimum viewing distance and I would actually prefer to be 10' away.

When analyzing viewing distance you should consider the source that you will be watching. The charts are spot on for HD, but NOT for SD. If I could receive more HD channels, I would send the 58" back and upgrade to the 65".
post #108 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

The truck delivered my 6580 today. I had ordered it on 10/11 and they called on Monday, 10/17 to arrange a delivery day-- today was the best one for me.

When they brought it in, it had a hole about 2" square punched in the box on the side which the screen faces. I got pretty nervous about that but we unboxed it to closely examine the screen-- i even went and got a magnifying glass while they were here-- couldn't see any damage fortunately.

Since I have to wait a few weeks for the room to be ready where its going to be set up (and my Bell'o table is still on order)...it will remain semi-packed for now. I'll just have to live with my 4-yr old 50" Toshiba rear-CRT for now.

I have a lot of wiring to pull for speakers, paint the family room, move in new furniture, etc. I wouldn't have ordered it yet but I couldn't be sure HP would continue the 20% off deal when these sold out.

I hope the rest of you are enjoying yours and I'll live vicariously....

BTW-- I called HP Total care and bought the 3 year warranty. Peace of mind, fellows...
post #109 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelevitt View Post

None of the cards "double" the warranty period beyond 1 year of extra service. So if the tv is warrantied for a year-- you'll get 1 extra year beyond the "Original Manufacturer's warranty" -- not any extended warrantee period. For AMEX you can call a special number 1-800-225-3750 for more info or to file a claim.

That is true... I'm saying that you get one year from HP and one from AMEX. Better than nothing if you don't opt for an Extended Warranty from HP.
post #110 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 AM

Hey Darrel,

How about adding a section for problems, issues, general dislikes, etc.? Or do you think we need a separate "Official dislikes of the HP 1080P" post?

I would start by stating that they have a real problem with the packing/shipping of the stand. I think everyone that received one has had damage.

PIP is really weak - single tuner and only able to display 1 HD source

Remote is not illuminated

Channel switching is slow
post #111 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam1901 View Post

Hey guys. Long time reader, first time poster. Just wanted to thank you all for your input. I've been researching HDTV's for over a year now and have finally decided on the HP md6580n over the 60" Sony SXRD, mainly for its 1080p inputs, bigger screen size & better design. I have 2 questions for those who are lucky enough to already have one of these babies in their possession. First, I just purchased an OPPO upconverting DVD player w/ DVI out. Will there be any loss of PQ due to using a DVI-HDMI converter rather than a direct HDMI input that other players support? Second, I will be getting an HD digital cable box w/ HD-DVR. In my neck of the woods (Tampa, FL), the local cable company does not support HDMI & recommended using component for cable. Will there be noticable, if any, loss in PQ and possible audio problems with component rather than HDMI? Thanks for all the help & input.

I think you made the right choice on sets. If you wanted the SXRD, I would have recommended waiting until fall, 2006 when they will probably enable 1080p on their HDMI input.

I would not expect any PQ differences running the HDMI into a DVI converted as the information remains in the digital domain. WHat brand converter are you going to use or is it just built into the cable?

I'm sure you WILL see some softening of the picture from component vs. HDMI. Most of the reviews I have read in magazines generally report that with most sets. Considering the DLPs are pixel-addressable devices unlike a CRT-based set, only a digital signal is going to give the best resolution. Information is always lost when you go Digital to Analog and back to Digital. HOWEVER-- you need to consider the source as to if its really worth agonizing over. Most cable companies and the satellite companies highly compress their signals. Especially-- standard definition channels. They look like crap on these high grade sets-- most of my Comcast "digital" SD channels have terrible PQ-- looking at times almost out of focus. Recently they have begun compressing HD signals as well. With all this compression going on-- you're not going to get a high grade image anyway from those sources. So don't sweat the component lines on the cable box.

If you want top notch picture on a 65" set, you'll get it from the following:

1. Blu-Ray-- when its released (probably 1080P but you never know with Sony)
2. OTA antennae to grab you local TV stations in HD. Typically the OTA stuff is NOT-compressed since there isn't a bandwidth problem with broadcast.
3. Verizon FIOS TV service-- limited release right now-- but the fiber to the home has tremendous bandwidth and the word is that the HD signals are the best they can be.
4. HDMI-enabled DVD player so that the signal stays in the digital domain. (BTW-- I use a Pioneer Elite 59avi player which I bought at a steep discount on the Web because it can output the raw digital DVD signal-- 480i over its HDMI output for input into an external video procesor such as the one below.)

At lot of folks who have the cash are also picking up a video processor that can significantly improve SD signals (and some on HD signals). Most of us are waiting for Calibre's Vantage-HD due out next month. There are a number of threads on this on the Video Processor subforum on avsforum. There is a group buy going on through AVS. Not to sound like a salesperson-but the video processor which outputs 1080P (AND only the HPs can accept 1080P over their HDMI input) will do scaling, delinterlacing and noise reduction. We're all waiting to see what the reviewers have to say about it. Here's the link to the product page and detailed brochure:

http://www.calibreuk.com/home_theater.php
post #112 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngpong View Post

Hey Darrel,

How about adding a section for problems, issues, general dislikes, etc.? Or do you think we need a separate "Official dislikes of the HP 1080P" post?

I would start by stating that they have a real problem with the packing/shipping of the stand. I think everyone that received one has had damage.

PIP is really weak - single tuner and only able to display 1 HD source

Remote is not illuminated

OK, sounds appropriate. Thanks for the feedback...
post #113 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

At lot of folks who have the cash are also picking up a video processor that can significantly improve SD signals (and some on HD signals). Most of us are waiting for Calibre's Vantage-HD due out next month. There are a number of threads on this on the Video Processor subforum on avsforum. There is a group buy going on through AVS. Not to sound like a salesperson-but the video processor which outputs 1080P (AND only the HPs can accept 1080P over their HDMI input) will do scaling, delinterlacing and noise reduction. We're all waiting to see what the reviewers have to say about it.

Very interesting... I'll head over and read about that. Thanks.
post #114 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have not noticed this unless the mode switches. I'm not sure what source you are using but I was able to eliminate this by setting the SA8300HD to fixed 1080i. Can you elaborate?
post #115 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Most of us are waiting for Calibre's Vantage-HD due out next month. There are a number of threads on this on the Video Processor subforum on avsforum. Not to sound like a salesperson-but the video processor which outputs 1080P (AND only the HPs can accept 1080P over their HDMI input) will do scaling, delinterlacing and noise reduction. We're all waiting to see what the reviewers have to say about it.

Now THAT is exactly why I want an HP 6580. Video Nirvanna is within reach, and that's the only way to do it. I can hardly wait.

Nick
post #116 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Darrel,

Done.
post #117 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I will be picking up a PS3 next year (or whenever) for Blu_rayplayback over HDMI. As for the OPPO, I bought directly from their web site so they will include a free DVI-HDMI converter cable. In addition, wanted to let everyone know not to get the extended warranty through HP. HP is charging $500 for 3 years. TVA is offering 4 years at $289. One other question: can the HP connect directly to a 5.1 receiver via optical pr do the components need to be connected seperately? And for the record, I don't know what OTA is!
post #118 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

One other question: can the HP connect directly to a 5.1 receiver via optical pr do the components need to be connected seperately? And for the record, I don't know what OTA is!

There isn't an optical-out on the set. There is a coaxial (RCA) digital-out. Most receivers have both.

OTA means "over-the-air".
post #119 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 09:56 AM

Thanks, Darrell. My receiver does have a co-ax. Does this mean I could just connect the co-ax to the receiver and all my components connected to the TV will play back in 5.1? If so, is there a difference in quality between the co-ax and optical?
post #120 of 10931 Old 10-20-2005, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks, Darrell. My receiver does have a co-ax. Does this mean I could just connect the co-ax to the receiver and all my components connected to the TV will play back in 5.1? If so, is there a difference in quality between the co-ax and optical?

That is how it is supposed to work. I know there have been issues with other sets connected via HDMI losing the 5.1 sound. I haven't experimented with this as yet. It seems like my son has a baseball game every night now that my new toy is here I'll be out of town over the weekend too.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page