The Official HP Pavilion 1080P DLP Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll try to summarize what we know/don't know about the 1080p MD6580n and MD5880n DLP models here. If there is other info you would like to see summarized here, let me know. Thanks.

hp Microdisplay info can be found here:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...dtv&catLevel=2

All models have the following inputs:

2 HDMI (480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p*)
2 Component (480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p**)
1 VGA (480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p***)
1 USB
1 Serial
3 Composite/Svideo
2 Cable
1 CableCard
5 Analog RCA Audio

* Supports 24, 30 and 60fps.
** Supports 24, and 30fps.
*** Supports 24, and 30fps but we have heard that the maximum resolution is 1280x1024p60

All models have the following outputs:
1 Analog RCA Audio out
1 Digital Coaxial Audio out (configurable)

Dimensions:

MD5880N
38.1" High x 60.3" Wide x 19.0" Deep

The front legs (of both sets, actually) are 45" apart (measuring to the outer edge of the feet). There are flanges that extend from the feet about 3 more inches outwards towards the outer edges of the TV. The flanges have about a 1/4" gap beneath them and don't actually touch the surface of a stand the TV sits on, and don't appear to be designed to bear weight.

The foot on the left front is 9.5 inches from the outside left of the tv. The foot on the right front is 7 inches from the outside right of the tv.

The actual footprint of the 58" is only about 12 inches deep, measuring from the front of the front feet, to the rear of the back feet.

The rear feet on the 58" are about 13.5" back from the front edge of the set.

The width of the set at the deepest part of the back is 33".

From the bottom edge of the screen to the top of a stand the TV is sitting on is about 9. Most of that space is taken up by the fold-down front panel that hides the front connections.

The front base of the TV slopes back toward the screen. There is approximately 1.75-2 inches difference between the front of the TV (the hump at the bottom) and the actual screen.

hp stand for MD5880N
60 1/4" L x 21 9/16" W x 19 15/16" H

HP site link-> http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...1A&cross_link=1

The vertical measurements between the shelves: 9 3/8 for the top shelf, and 5 71/6 for the bottom shelf.

Box dimensions for MD5880N
66" Long x 25" Wide x 50" High

MD6580N
41.6" High x 66.3" Wide x 20.9" Deep

The front legs (of both sets, actually) are 45" apart (measuring to the outer edge of the feet). There are flanges that extend from the feet about 3 more inches outwards towards the outer edges of the TV. The flanges have about a 1/4" gap beneath them and don't actually touch the surface of a stand the TV sits on.

The actual footprint of the 65" is only about 12 inches deep, measuring from the front of the front feet, to the rear of the back feet.

The rear feet on the 65" are about 16" back from the front edge of the set.

The width of the set at the deepest part of the back is 36".

From the bottom edge of the screen to the top of a stand the TV is sitting on is about 9. Most of that space is taken up by the fold-down front panel that hides the front connections.

The front base of the TV slopes back toward the screen. There is approximately 1.75 inches difference between the front of the TV (the hump at the bottom) and the actual screen.

hp stand for MD6580N
66 3/8" L x 21 9/16" W x 19 15/16" H.

HP site link->http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...2A&cross_link=1

The vertical measurements between the shelves: 9 3/8 for the top shelf, and 5 71/6 for the bottom shelf.

Box dimensions for MD6580N
72.5" Long x 29.5" Wide x 48" High

Cables:
The cables run from under the set (from the font connects) and can then be run through a hole in the back of the stand to your components. There are no visible wires from the front or the sides. You have to look behind the set along the wall to see wires at all.

There is a depression in the HP stand that mates to the bottom of the TV, and the TV can be screwed into the stand from below.

Heat Venting:
The area on the back of the set where venting occurs is in the lower ΒΌ of the set on both ends and along the back, inset from the outer edge of the set by about 12. If you are worried about venting w/the set in an enclosed space, you'd want air flow clear around the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the set.

Tracking information:
If you order from HP, you will receive 2 emails.
1. order confirmation
2. Shipment confirmation

In your shipment confirmation, you should get a 5-6 digit tracking number. That's the North American tracking number.

Here is where you track it.
http://www.northamericanhomeexpress....ertracking.asp
Enter the tracking and your zip. Leave phone number BLANK!

It would seem they only update it daily like usps. so do it daily. Once they receive your tv from HP (2-3 days), you can call NA and they will forward you to your local facility so you can schedule a delivery.

This might work for East Coast, but I'm on West Coast, and it maybe different.

Customer Support information:
The ONLY support center for these TVs is located in Ontario, Canada. It is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you ended up offshore then somehow the phone system misdirected you.

For people calling in, it is recommended that when prompted for the product you're calling in about, say "Digital Television". That *should* get you through to the correct department.

Other threads discussing hp sets:

720P owners->http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=591737

Calibration->http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=595889

Professional Reviews->http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=592075

HTPC 1080p setup->http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=597362

S&V Editors Choice Award->http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...rticle_id=1152

Hewlett-Packard Discount programs:

FEDERAL GOVT:

http://government.hp.com/forms/epp.asp?agencyid=1

STATE & LOCAL GOVT:

http://government.hp.com/forms/epp.asp?agencyid=2

ACADEMIC PURCHASE PROGRAM:

https://eclipse.ebus.hp.com/dn/jsp/products_you.jsp

Questions to answer:

1) Do the HDMI inputs actually support 1080p as documented?
We have confirmation that the ATI 9800 All-in-Wonder will display 1080p at 60 fps to the set.

2) Do the Component inputs actually support 1080p as documented?

3) Does the VGA input do 1080p?
No. It has been confirmed the max resolution is 1280x1024 @60hz

4) What is the serial input for?

5) Does the digital-audio-out properly pass 5.1 if present on the HDMI input?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

Okay, here's what I've been able to find out:
The Digital output will pass 5.1 audio only from CableCARD, Clear QAM cable, or OTA HDTV inputs (eg. Digital tuner inputs). It will only pass 2.0 audio from an HDMI input. Users that wish to obtain full 5.1 audio from a DVD player with HDMI should connect their DVD player 5.1 digital audio output directly to their audio receiver, bypassing the TV.

Hopefully this puts a rest to the 5.1 debate Now, onto more important debates: nachos or cheesypoofs for the football party!

6) How does the USB firmware upgrade work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoods24 View Post

Procedure For USB Firmware Upgrade
(For HP MDTV's (MD5020, MD5820, MD5880, MD6580)
Rev. 11/7/05

As of this FW revision, one set of FW will upgrade all types and sizes of HP MDTV's to run properly.

Be sure to read all the instructions before attempting to load firmware.

Upgrading to New FW with USB Memory Stick

Turn TV OFF.
Remove cableCARD
Remove input cables (HDMI and VGA connections)
Unplug TV AC cord for 10 seconds. This is done to put the TV into a known state.
Insert USB stick drive into USB port. NOTE: USB drive can take up to 20 seconds before it starts loading.
Plug AC cord back in. DO NOT TURN TV ON! Tunring TV on during upgrade process will corrupt files in the TV!

Firmware loads automatically. This upgrade process is indicated by three LED's on the front panel that flash sequentially from Left to Right. The process will take about 30 minutes. Sometimes the sequential flashing will stop momentarily, but should re-start automatically.
Firmware loading is completed successfully when center blue LED flashes repeatedly ON and OFF (without any red lights).
Do not pull USB drive out of port until the FW loading process has completed. Unplugging USB stick may damage TV!
Note: If sequential flashing of red-blue-red LED lights continue for more then 60 minutes, REMOVE USB drive and restart process by starting at Unplug TV AC cord for 10 seconds.
Wait 15 seconds.
Remove USB drive from TV.
Unplug TV AC cord. Wait 10 seconds.
Plug AC cord back in.

After USB Process Completion
Turn-ON TV. The firmware update screen should appear and indicate that your new FW was loaded with Success. Check for the correct firmware version.
If everything has updated correctly, follow the on screen display instructions to return the TV to normal use.

NOTE: If you are using a cable or antenna direct input, after a FW upgrade you will need to redo a Cable Scan to automatically find cable channels since all settings return to Factory settings during the FW upgrade. This is done by using the Set-up mode in Settings.

7) Is it a problem that 1080i/p over the component cables are only 24 or 30fps instead of 60? Is the difference noticeable?

Answers to common questions:

1) How is the fan noise? Most common answer: audible in a slient room but not at normal listening volume. Some have reported louder noise but this has been attributed to a noisy color wheel. Those with noisy color wheels have had their light engine replaced.

2) How is the black level? Most common answer: Excellent

3) How is the black detail? Most common answer: Excellent

4) Is there artifacting with fast motion video? Most common answer: Not detected as yet

5) SDE? Most common answer: None. Even up close.

6) SSE? Most common answer: None detected so far.
Update on a report being investigated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondToughest View Post

[*]Navy NCIS on CBS OTA in 1080i was mixed. Sometimes (usually darker or far-away shots) looked excellent. But broad expanses of lighter colors (like faces) tended to have a "grainy" or "noisy" texture to them. Almost like someone had sprinkled a fine sand over the screen in those areas. The "specks" were static relative to the screen, so it was somewhat similar to SDE. Given that other 1080i sources looked so good, I'm assuming this has more to do with the signal than the TV, but it was a bit discouraging. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Second update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondToughest View Post

Just to set everyone's mind at ease, I've been watching several HD channels tonight vi the cable connection (as opposed to OTA antenna) and I'm happy to say that they look *gorgeous*. No more "speckles". Much better.

The POS antenna is going straight back to into the hellmouth from whence it came tomorrow.

7) How is the OOB calibration? Most common answer: Good

8) How does SD look? Most common answer: Varies from quite good to pretty dismal depending on how bad the "garbage-in" is.

9) Do the sets do 3:2 pulldown on 480i and 1080i? Yes

10) Where can these sets be purchased?
Good Guys
J&R Music Store
Nebraska Furniture Mart
BrandsMart USA
PC Richard
tvauthority.com [AVS Forum members click here]->http://www.tvauthority.com/avs-members-only.asp
Crutchfield.com
hpshopping.com

11) Is the hp stand required to conceal the wires coming from the flip-down, lit, front connection area? No. Any stand will work. The wires pass through the set out the back.

12) Does hp offer an Extended Warranty? Yes. HP 3-year, in-home extended warranty: $ 499. You can get one by calling in with a credit card, tv serial number, and date & location of purchase to HP Total Care Extended Service Plan 1-866-234-1377. NOTE: The warranty does not cover the bulb.

13) Does the set use discrete remote control codes for device selection, etc?
No. But this feature is expected in the first firmware update.

14) How would you describe the appearance of these sets? WAF? Most common answers: "The best I've seen." "Even the wife loves it." "Completely non refelective." "Blends beautifully with traditonal or contemporary decor."

15) What was fixed/changed in firmware revision .12 (base was .10)?
- Channel switching is much improved.
- HDMI audio issues are fixed.
- Custom RGB settings are retained.
- Sharpness default is now 5.
- Volume leveling is fixed.
- Computer connection issues are resolved (EDID).
- Iris settings are more aggressive.

Device compatibility over HDMI:

SA8300HD Cable/DVR STB: works and produces a great picture but there are reports that some Time Warner customers in some regions will have problems.

Hughes HR10-250 DirecTV/DVR: reportedly has PQ issues over HDMI. Component works great. Being investigated. Update: this turned out to be a bad STB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertam View Post

The HD Tivo settings must be changed. The user must change the Video output to 1080i, After that, the PQ is amazing. If you do not, the picture will display at 720.
HDMI connection to the TV is crisper than using component.
Component showed slight signs of grain at 8' distance as opposed to using HDMI connection though both look overall better than my Samsung 720P which i still have side by side w/ my HP. Color and contrast seem to be amazing and sharp.
I used the World Series via OTA to test the above.

ATI 9800 All-in-Wonder: displays 1080p 60 over HDMI to the set. Here is a quote describing the PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pngpong View Post

I watched a bit of the T2 Extreme DVD (at 1920x1200) If this is what we will get with Blu-ray or HD-DVD then it's going to be awesome! Screen shot attached. The darks were perfect - blacks were just as black as the TV case. I'm "extremely" happy

Sony DVP-NS70H DVD: displays 1080i over HDMI with no shifting issues. The PQ is outstanding!

ATI x800 Pro graphics card:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reldan View Post

I just got my HP md6580n last night. I could not possibly ask for more out of a HTPC TV than this.

I'm connecting via DVI-HDMI out of my ATI x800 Pro video card. I go into the Catalyst Control Center and choose 1080p mode out of the HDTV Support tab, then set the resolution to 1920 X 1080 60 Hz in the Display Manager.

I wind up getting some overscan, maybe 5-8% and the picture isn't that great, but the set tells me in the info that it's getting a 1080p signal. I try using some slightly lower resolutions to fix this, and it shrinks the desktop down and says it's getting 1280X1024 60Hz.

This is bad, I think, so I put it back on 1920 X 1080 60 Hz and go into the TV user menu. Under Advanced Picture I look at the Aspect setting, and sure enough there's one labelled "PC". I select that and WHAM, perfect fit with no over/underscan. I then grab a calibration image with alternating black and white lines and tile that as my background, and the lines appear distinctly when viewed up close. 1:1 pixel mapping even.

On top of that, there is another setting in Advanced Color called DVI Color, with a setting called PC and a setting called Default. This toggle switch changes the TV between video grayscale (16-239) and PC grayscale (1-255) instantly.

Oh, and the picture is nuts for both Battlefield 2 at 1920X1080 and Zoomplayer/DScaler/FFDShow upscaling to 1080p.

Universal Remote Compatiblity:
Harmony 360 (aka Harmony Xbox remote)
Harmony 520
Harmony 880
Harmony 890

Problems reported:

1) Apparently, the HP stands are not being packed/shipped very well. Most are arriving damaged! Update: This issue has apparently been addressed by hp.

2) PIP functionality is not on-par with competitors. Only 1 HD source available.
Update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

I just tried putting an OTA HD signal in one window, and my 1080p PC desktop in another windows, and it works fine for both POP and PIP. I do have the limitation that one window must be from the internal tuner while the other widows must come from one of the non-RF inputs. However, it appears that both can be HD.

3) Remote is not backlit.
Update: hp did not say it would be backlit. They said it would been illuminated (which it is, sorta). I'm not overly pleased with this response but I guess it is accurate

4) There have been some reports of noticable fan noise. The suggestion has been to contact hp support as most owners do not hear the fan at normal listening levels.

5) Most owners are reporting minor tilting of the display image with some devices. There have been some more extreme cases as well but the thought is that those sets were damaged during delivery.
Update: a technician can correct this issue with a simple adjustment.

6) Some owners are reporting pincushioning of 4:3 images.

7) Certain ATI Graphics devices are not working when connected to an HDMI port at 1080p.
Update: This problem was solved with the .12 firmware release.

8) There are intermittent reports of audio problems over HDMI.

9) Some owners have reported a white line across the top of the screen when connected over component. Update: This problem was solved with the .12 firmware release.

10) Volume leveling does not work.

11) There have been reports of noisy color wheels. hp has been replacing light engines to address this concern.

12) Some owners are experiencing speaker hum to various degrees. Some owners were able to correct the problem by having the cable company install a noise filter on the cable drop coming in to the house. Others have resorted to disconnecting the internal speaker wires. Others have had the hp noise cancellation filter installed.

Things we'd like to see fixed:

1) Channel switching can be slow with certain sources. This is supposedly being addressed in the upgrade available with the free 128MB USB drive.

2) Panorama stretch mode is not working quite right. It seems to be throwing away data from the top and bottom of the picture. Update: quite a few people seem to like this stretch mode as is. There is no consensus on this!

3) If different RGB settings are created for HDMI1 and HDMI2, when you switch between the HDMI inputs, the RGB values shown in the user menu are correct but the settings are not applied to the screen unless you change an RGB setting again in the user menu.

4) In windows, when connected to a 1080p model, the monitor is displayed as MD5020N.

Enhancements we'd like to see added:

1) Add an EPG. Please. Pretty please!

2) Update the "Info" display so that it displays info on the second window in PIP and split sreen modes - at a minimum identify the source of the secondary window and report the current Aspect setting (panorama, zoomed, etc).

3) Update the "Info" function so that it clears any channel commands entered but not executed by the set...e.g., if I am changing channels and hit 55 instead of 57, hitting the "Info" button should cancel the channel command so I can start over and not have the set switch to the wrong channel.

4) Allow the HDMI audio input to work with either HDMI1 or HDMI2. I believe the function of this audio input is for those that are using a DVI to HDMI cable for video that want to pipe in an audio signal as well (i.e. HTPC users that have DVI-out video cards).

5) Add the ability to control the behavior of the aperture on the iris.
Update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

I was experimenting a with the different picture modes tonight. When I reported seeing the affect of the aperture, I was using Movie mode. However, in Studio mode, the I can't see the affect.

It appears that the aperture functions differently based on the picture mode. Well I have not tested this extensively, my quess is that the sensitivity of the aperture is highest in Movie mode, and lowest in Vivid mode.

6) Greatly enhance the help text to better explain the available user menu settings!!!

Darrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 AM

Hurry, hurry!
post #3 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes please hurry up we need info!!!
post #4 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 AM

and pics!!
post #5 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Pictures please!

Joe V.
post #6 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Well it looks like you have everyone's attention now. Do you have a computer that you can hook up to it? I think everyone would like to know what 1080p capabilities this TV has. Enjoy your new set!
post #7 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
also please report on any lip sync issues you may notice
post #8 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

I'm trying... I'm trying... This thing is a beast. I haven't even unwrapped the cords yet. Here is a teaser picture
LL
post #9 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Whoever designed the front wire access deserves a raise. That is truly awesome.
LL
post #10 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 09:14 AM

Does anyone know who actually makes the TV? Is is a rebadged unit or did HP actually design this one?
post #11 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomarian View Post

Does anyone know who actually makes the TV? Is is a rebadged unit or did HP actually design this one?

I was told it was 100% designed in house. It was built overseas I believe.
post #12 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

DarellH thanks for the pics I have to admit if I were in your shoes I wouldn't be worrying about AVS right this second. I can't wait to hear your report on PQ
post #13 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Beautiful stand, Darrell...that's the one from Africa, correct? you chose well...

Appreciate you taking the time to post pics during you hook up, and thanks for starting the 1080p thread.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes and what you think of the set.
post #14 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Danabw,

Don't you have one on the way?
post #15 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it is the "Africa Stand". Solid (oh, my back) rosewood

Anyway, my ultra-preliminary review:

INHD2 HDMI (1080i source): Zero SDE. Zero SSE. Incredible detail. Excellent black level/detail. I see no crush on this display. There is this one show on INHD where a bunch of guys are fishing in a fast moving river on a bright sunny day... I saw major artifacting in the water ripples/whitecaps on an HLR5078. On this TV, it was perfect. I'll watch some hockey tonight to check for motion artifacting more closely.

SD Cable (upconvert 1080i): Very, very good. I can tell you I was surprised. This is much better than our Sony. Not much time spent playing here though. Just a quick scan.

DVD Component (480p): I see no artifacting at all. I only watched 15 minutes of LOTR: Two Towers though. The detail was quite good but not a huge improvement over our Sony HD RPCRT though. I'm looking for an upconverting HDMI player and I am leaning toward the Oppo. I'll report back when I have that to test with.

I realize there isn't a ton of tangible data here but I just haven't had much time. I'll take more pictures and bust out Avia and DVE soon.

As far as esthetics go, I'll place this TV up there with the nicest I've ever seen. My wife and I love it. The screen and cabinet are completely non-reflective. Not even my reef tank lights cause reflection. On our Sony, this was horrible.

I'm not ready to say this TV is on par with the Qualia quite yet but I've not even found a minor negative yet.

That's it for now. More to come...

Darrell
post #16 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

Danabw,

Don't you have one on the way?

Yeah...I have a 65" that should arrive this week. I'm living vicariously so far, and dying quietly inside while I wait. h
post #17 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Do you have a computer that you can hook up to it? I think everyone would like to know what 1080p capabilities this TV has. Enjoy your new set!

Yes, but I'm waiting on a video card that can do 1920x1080. I'm currently limited to 1600x1200.
post #18 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post

Yeah, it is the "Africa Stand". Solid (oh, my back) rosewood

Anyway, my ultra-preliminary review:

INHD2 HDMI (1080i source): Zero SDE. Zero SSE. Incredible detail. Excellent black level/detail. I see no crush on this display. There is this one show on INHD where a bunch of guys are fishing in a fast moving river on a bright sunny day... I saw major artifacting in the water ripples/whitecaps on an HLR5078. On this TV, it was perfect. I'll watch some hockey tonight to check for motion artifacting more closely.

SD Cable (upconvert 1080i): Very, very good. I can tell you I was surprised. This is much better than our Sony. Not much time spent playing here though. Just a quick scan.

DVD Component (480p): I see no artifacting at all. I only watched 15 minutes of LOTR: Two Towers though. The detail was quite good but not a huge improvement over our Sony HD RPCRT though. I'm looking for an upconverting HDMI player and I am leaning toward the Oppo. I'll report back when I have that to test with.

I realize there isn't a ton of tangible data here but I just haven't had much time. I'll take more pictures and bust out Avia and DVE soon.

As far as esthetics go, I'll place this TV up there with the nicest I've ever seen. My wife and I love it. The screen and cabinet are completely non-reflective. Not even my reef tank lights cause reflection. On our Sony, this was horrible.

I'm not ready to say this TV is on par with the Qualia quite yet but I've not even found a minor negative yet.

That's it for now. More to come...

Darrell

Thanks for the quick review, Darrell. Sounds great! I'm particularly happy to hear about the lack of artifacts and crush. Interested in your results w/the Oppo...a friend is thinking about that unit as well.
post #19 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

also please report on any lip sync issues you may notice

Nothing to report as yet with the sa8300 connected via optical. I haven't seen a lip sync issue. I will keep you posted.
post #20 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

How's channel to channel speed w/the 8300...I'm getting one installed this week to go w/the new set....
post #21 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the updates maybe we have found the perfect TV !!!! I doubt it.
post #22 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 12:55 PM

Got my set in this morning too.. All I can say is "Wow"..

I love the front panel inputs, looks like they have a white LED in there to light it up when the front flips down..

I also have the Hp stand as well, and the set looks really well on it. More info later, as I had to get to work..

One question, whats the best format to feed into this unit for DVD's.. Should I go the 480i route and have the TV upsample it, or get a upsampling player to feed something else like 1080i into the TV?
post #23 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

How's channel to channel speed w/the 8300...I'm getting one installed this week to go w/the new set....

Channel switching is very fast unless the set detects a need to change modes. If it needs to switch resolutions (i.e. 1080i to 720p, etc), it take a few seconds. You can tell the DVR which settings to use for HDMI or fix the resolution at whatever you want. I'm currently using the auto-hdmi setting but I may switch to fixed 1080i. I'm not sure if that is clear... here is an example.

On auto, if you are watching NBC, the set/DVR chooses 1080i. If you switch to ABC, the set/DVR chooses 720P. This causes a few seconds to switch. If you fix the display at 1080i HDMI on the DVR, all channel switches are instant.

I'm going to experiment but my guess is that fixing the display at 1080i will be best. The auto setting works great when you have a 4:3 TV. On a 16:9, it probably doesn't make much sense.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Darrell
post #24 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

Thanks for the updates maybe we have found the perfect TV !!!! I doubt it.

I'm sorry if I seem overly enthusiastic. I think it is only human when you first get a new toy. I'm sure my opinion will soften as I have more time to play with the set. But who knows... so far so good!
post #25 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and the quick review!

It is much appreciated at this stage in the game when so many sets are coming out. The only negative I've heard about the set so far is the slight rainbows reported by "Sound & Vision". Have you experienced any rainbows on the set? Try out some black and white material if you get a chance. Thanks again.
post #26 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 01:05 PM

Could one of you who have an xbox or video game system play around with that and see if there are any lag or lip sync issues with it? I have been searching around for months for a new tv and I wanted something that could actually receive 1080p so this set looks like it's gonna be the winner, especially if all the great reviews keep comin in.

Hi-Def is where it's at
post #27 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool JAWA View Post

Could one of you who have an xbox or video game system play around with that and see if there are any lag or lip sync issues with it? I have been searching around for months for a new tv and I wanted something that could actually receive 1080p so this set looks like it's gonna be the winner, especially if all the great reviews keep comin in.

My kids have a PS2. Will that prove anything? I really don't play games very often but my kids do. If this will help, I'll let them connect the PS2 for a few seconds
post #28 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and the quick review!

It is much appreciated at this stage in the game when so many sets are coming out. The only negative I've heard about the set so far is the slight rainbows reported by "Sound & Vision". Have you experienced any rainbows on the set? Try out some black and white material if you get a chance. Thanks again.

My wife and I have not seen any rainbows... neither of us ever saw any on DLPs in the store either. I suspect we are not sensitive to them.
post #29 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

No rainbows here either. Will try some more material tonight..
post #30 of 10904 Old 10-18-2005, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Posted on the original HP 1080p thread as well, but gotta shout it out here as well:

IT IS HERE!!!!!!!!! 65" arrived and set up today.

Came home at noon to see if the delivery service had left a message and YES! Delivery company was just 15 minutes away, talked 'em into bringing it out right away (they were VERY nice) and they just dropped it off and helped me set it up. The delivery guys were awed by the TV...lots of "Wow" and "Cool" comments throughout.

Picture is awesome...haven't done much except watch few minutes of LOTR Two Towers and a short scene from "Finding Nemo" but I think I'm in love...

Looks perfect on the stand I made...pic coming in a moment or two...cable insertion and connection was a breeze.

No rainbows so far...incrediby wide usable field of view compared to my 60" Panny LCD...both vertical and horizontal range is huge, and the drop off almost insignificant.

Beautiful blacks and detail...

The set is a thing of beauty...classiest looking HDTV set I've seen. Looks MUCH better in person than in pictures. Hard to explain, but nothing you see online will do justice to seeing this set in your house. The dark color of the TV provides a great "frame" for the movie and the light-absorbing matte black color means no distraction from the action on the screen....

The source select option is a cool looking feature, but not sure I'll use it too much. But it is really cool.

Oops...I'm gushing.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page