The OFFICIAL Toshiba 56MX195/62MX195/72MX195 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 1334 Old 03-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Newbie
 
toaterbeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Oregon Coast
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

Well I'll be meeting with the service tech this afternoon, but based on my research this may be a waste of time. The "upgrade kit" he's bringing is actually the 1.3.1 S/W. I've spoken to Toshiba several times in the past week as well as since January and they did not correlate my issue to this software. I was expecting the tech to at least perform some diagnostics, but he's claiming Toshiba told him to perform the S/W upgrade and THEN if the problem occurs to further diagnose. The basic "bring it up to the latest S/W baseline then let's see what it does" approach, which will be obsolete as soon as 1.3.1+ is out.

As I previously noted, the problem only occurs after 4-5 weeks after a reset, so obviously he won't see the problem while he's here. Also, I can't believe Toshiba Tech Support would have the service tech come out to do something they could have just mailed to me IF it was a potential solution to my problem, so now I need to leave work to deal with this minor update that I don't believe will fix my issue. But I'll follow the recommended plan. I do think the issue is S/W related, but no one can confirm that they've seen this specific issue and know what the fix is.

The other kicker is when I spoke to Toshiba yesterday and explained the problem, and indicated that the only way to fix the issue is to power cycle the TV, he says "You Shouldn't Do That! It will harm the TV!" I clarified that I first shut the TV off then power cycle, because if I don't I can't watch the TV! He continued to insist that it harms the TV since the fans need to continue running. WTF? Why does there own manual recommend unplugging the TV in their troubleshooting section? Clueless. I'll clarify that this is the first Toshiba rep that sounded like a bonehead and everyone else has been great.

Also, I had asked to speak to someone at Toshiba Tech Support, and the first guy gave me the number and insisted that they will talk to me directly, but of course when I called that number only authorized service techs with an account code can get a live person and all others need to send a fax. When I then spoke to Bonehead above, he claimed there's no way I can speak to Tech Support directly. Can anyone tell me how you were able to do that? I believe I may need to start doing that if this issue continues.

I'm starting to feel less than confident about getting this resolved in a timely manner, but at some point I can guarantee that it will.

does your Tvguide feature work properly?

Toshiba 72MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Charter cable of Oregon
toaterbeans is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 1334 Old 03-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
magredc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaterbeans View Post

does your Tvguide feature work properly?

Yes, it works flawlessly. It took me about 2 weeks to get it setup but for the past 5 months it's been fine. Even after the last S/W upgrade and a full factory reset requiring me to re-initialize the TVGOS app, it's been flawless.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
magredc5 is offline  
post #453 of 1334 Old 03-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
magredc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tech left and TV is now on 1.3.1. I definitely have some S/W gremlins prior to this upgrade. In fact, when we put the SD card in the slot to start the upgrade, it wouldn't register. I even tried my old card with 1.2.8 to see if the TV would recognize it, but it wouldn't. We had to power cycle the TV, and then it read the SD card right away. The tech told me there were 2 files on the card which indicated 2 processors were being upgraded.

I'm still not convinced that will fix my problem, but the tech and I are in agreement that the problem is S/W related.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
magredc5 is offline  
post #454 of 1334 Old 03-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Member
 
vronp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

Note: TV Guide On Screen program data is available through the ANT-1 and ANT-2 antenna inputs and also through the VIDEO 1 inputs if you
have a cable box connected to VIDEO 1. TV Guide On Screen program data is not available through any other inputs on this TV. See the
connection information on pages 13-25.


So, does this exclude a cable card connection? I have Insight coming tomorrow and I assumed they would just plug a cable card into my 56MX195 and that would do it all.

How do I get TV Guide with a Cable Card?
vronp is offline  
post #455 of 1334 Old 03-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
magredc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronp View Post

So, does this exclude a cable card connection? I have Insight coming tomorrow and I assumed they would just plug a cable card into my 56MX195 and that would do it all.

How do I get TV Guide with a Cable Card?

TVGOS will work with a CableCard (Cable on ANT-1). Once the Cablecard is installed and working, when you run the setup for TVGOS, you simply select the correct input config, i.e. ANT1, CABLE = YES, CABLEBOX = NO. Of course, there're still issues with getting the TVGOS data to download properly, but let us know when you at least get the setup done and have the clock correctly setting automatically and we can help with any further problems from there.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
magredc5 is offline  
post #456 of 1334 Old 03-29-2006, 04:36 AM
Member
 
vronp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm wondering how Symbio is working out for people as I am considering a purchase. It seems quite inexpensive but what is the hot setup in terms of a DVR for these sets?

Is there something on the not too distant horizon that folks are waiting for?

Thanks,
Dave
56MX195
vronp is offline  
post #457 of 1334 Old 03-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Member
 
cicc85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought my 56HM195 about 2 months ago. Initially I was a bit disappointed in the noise generated by the fan that runs when the TV is on. I had read previous posts where people had commented on whether or not they heard it. It always seemed to be either personal sensitivity to it or maybe the setup of the equipment and room size that determined whether it was audible or not.

I can now say that it definitely varies from TV to TV. When I got my first Tosh56 it had a smudge on the screen that couldn't be cleaned. The fan in this TV was very noticeable. I returned it for a new one as I didn't want a tech to take apart a brand new TV. The second one had the same screen problem but in a different location. The fan in this TV was considerably quieter and barely noticeable. Once again, I returned this TV and now finally have a TV without any screen defects. However, this TV definitely has a louder fan. I thought maybe I had just become desensitized to it when the second TV was installed, but now that the new one is in, there is definitely a difference.

Just an observation....
cicc85 is offline  
post #458 of 1334 Old 03-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Member
 
GT1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
vronp, if you haven't done so already I'd suggest checking out dnahas's and my posts on page 13 in the AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > Indigita AVHD IEEE 1394 Hard Disc Drive thread. (Sorry I haven't posted 5 times yet to do a direct link.)

I purchased an RCA DVR2160 AVHD (same device as the Toshiba Symbio) to use with my 56MX195 and ran into some serious limitations with it. I love that I can use it to record OTA HD but it, in no way, comes close to the functionality of a DVR like a TiVo. I now use it to supplement my TiVo and use it record shows when the TV itself is not being used or to pause the current show that I'm watching but that's it. If you can live with the limitations, I'd say it's still worth the ~$130 I paid for it.

As for something in the near distant future, it's got to be a TiVo Series 3. I'm strictly OTA (no cable/sat) and the TiVo Series 3 will be the answer for me.
GT1Boy is offline  
post #459 of 1334 Old 03-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Member
 
vronp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. Regarding TiVo.... I was a TiVo "early adoptor" and like it a lot. But I am no longer interested in TiVo because they dropped their lifetime service program and I don't want to be tied into a monthly fee. I understand that I cannot transfer my current lifetime from my Series 2 to a Series 3.

So, I am looking for a TiVo competitor at this point and I was hoping Symbio was it.

Dave


Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post

As for something in the near distant future, it's got to be a TiVo Series 3. I'm strictly OTA (no cable/sat) and the TiVo Series 3 will be the answer for me.

vronp is offline  
post #460 of 1334 Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
magredc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronp View Post

Hi all,

I'm wondering how Symbio is working out for people as I am considering a purchase. It seems quite inexpensive but what is the hot setup in terms of a DVR for these sets?

Is there something on the not too distant horizon that folks are waiting for?

Thanks,
Dave
56MX195

As GT1Boy posted, you can get the RCA version of the Symbio (the same exact thing) for a lot less. It's $99 at HDToystore.

The are some limitations. You can only record what you're watching since it uses the TV's tuner to record. There is some flexibility in this where if you're recording off the one tuner (i.e. Digital), you can still watch programs on the other tuner (i.e. Analog), but the results will vary depending on your input and area.

The ultimate DVR would have it's own tuner and cablecard slot so you could use it independently from your TV and still record all the HD programming, but those units on the horizon will be pricey. The RCA unit is a good deal at it's current price. I'm debating whether to get one myself.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
magredc5 is offline  
post #461 of 1334 Old 03-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Member
 
hss_rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hss_rao View Post

Good for you, for me Toshiba directly said you lamp is ok, but some thing else is faulty, and gave couple of phone numbers to call. let us know how it goes after you receive the lamp.

Guys, the technician visited, could not believe the technicians are so bad, in knowledge. Trial and error method. Came and replaced the lamp. It became worser. My original lamp ran for 10 minutes, the new lamp runs only 2 minutes. So again replaces the old one and waits 10 minutes for the TV to turn off. TV turns off. Then he has no clue what is happening. Next thing. Asks for the manual to find out what the manual says if blue light blinks 3 times. Then, after that he calls the Toshiba Tech dept and they raise a work order and after the technician gets off the phone, tells me that, Toshiba will ship a new light engine, which will take 7-10 days, after which they will come and replace the part in my TV. HHaaaaaaa!!!!!.
hss_rao is offline  
post #462 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 04:03 AM
Member
 
rx_menon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rocky Point, NY
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, sorry to hear that Toshiba sends such incompetent people. It must be frustrating but atleast they seem to be responsive .... I have an experience with my SONY once in the past and almost got close to fist-cuffs with the technician .. not for ignorance but attitude.... Pls continue posting .. Rgds,
Rajiv

72MX195, Pio Elite 74TXVi, Pio Elite 79AVi, Ascend SE/HSU 7.2, Dish Vip211
rx_menon is offline  
post #463 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 04:15 AM
Member
 
vronp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I think I am at this point. I was hoping this morning that TVGOS would be working after leaving the set off overnight. No such luck. There is no program data at all.

So, what are the tricks to get this working? Oh, it's Insight cable btw.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

TVGOS will work with a CableCard (Cable on ANT-1). Once the Cablecard is installed and working, when you run the setup for TVGOS, you simply select the correct input config, i.e. ANT1, CABLE = YES, CABLEBOX = NO. Of course, there're still issues with getting the TVGOS data to download properly, but let us know when you at least get the setup done and have the clock correctly setting automatically and we can help with any further problems from there.

vronp is offline  
post #464 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 06:13 AM
Newbie
 
Videoshielded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies if this is old news on the forum.

The bulb in my 2005 56MX195 blew in February, after a couple months of use, so I called Toshiba for a replacement and they shipped it to me. Today, I finally got around to calling FedEx to get them to pick up the old bulb.

Anyway, I just got a letter dated March 23 from Toshiba. It says my TV is in the 2005 group with a bulb problem, and they've already replaced the bulb once, but they'll be sending me a new and improved bulb no later than May 31, 2006.

On the replacement lamp, they say "In the time since you received your replacement lamp, Toshiba has been advised by the lamp manufacturer that a new and improved lamp will soon be available. Our expectation is that the new and improved lamp will help optimize lamp life and performance."
Videoshielded is offline  
post #465 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
magredc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronp View Post

Well, I think I am at this point. I was hoping this morning that TVGOS would be working after leaving the set off overnight. No such luck. There is no program data at all.

So, what are the tricks to get this working? Oh, it's Insight cable btw.

Dave

With the new 1.3.1 S/W, I haven't even gotten the clock to set yet. I waited over 24 hours and nothing, no clock, hence no TVGOS data.

So yesterday evening I decided to start clean and performed a full factory reset. Last time I did that it actually worked well. So far this morning, there is still no clock. If it doesn't show signs of life by tonight when I get home I'm calling Toshiba.

Recall that I didn't appear to need 1.3.1 and I raised my concern to them about TVGOS problems with 1.3.1 which they denied. I love this TV, but starting to get tired of the ongoing glitches.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
magredc5 is offline  
post #466 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Member
 
vronp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 1.3.0 firmware. And, although I have looked through the manual, I am afraid to say that I don't know how to tell if my clock is set.

I guess I will call Toshiba as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

With the new 1.3.1 S/W, I haven't even gotten the clock to set yet. I waited over 24 hours and nothing, no clock, hence no TVGOS data.

So yesterday evening I decided to start clean and performed a full factory reset. Last time I did that it actually worked well. So far this morning, there is still no clock. If it doesn't show signs of life by tonight when I get home I'm calling Toshiba.

Recall that I didn't appear to need 1.3.1 and I raised my concern to them about TVGOS problems with 1.3.1 which they denied. I love this TV, but starting to get tired of the ongoing glitches.

vronp is offline  
post #467 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
magredc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronp View Post

I have 1.3.0 firmware. And, although I have looked through the manual, I am afraid to say that I don't know how to tell if my clock is set.

I guess I will call Toshiba as well.

When you go into TVGOS, the clock will be displayed on the upper left of the screen. If it's not set, you'll just see --:--.

Also, if you hit the RECALL button on the remote (next to the MUTE button), the info that comes up on the screen (Channel, etc.) should include the time if the clock is set.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
magredc5 is offline  
post #468 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Member
 
vronp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for that info. My clock is indeed not set.

Well, I talked to Toshiba today. After going over a few things, I was informed that a TV Guide specialist would call me back and it could take up to 3 days.

Also, you may find this interesting. I told the guy that I read online that this clock needs to be set for TVGOS to work. He said: "definately not the case". Later in the conversation I asked him if he was absolutely sure about the clock. He then said he was 90% sure.

So, for what it's worth. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he didn't know what he was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

When you go into TVGOS, the clock will be displayed on the upper left of the screen. If it's not set, you'll just see --:--.

Also, if you hit the RECALL button on the remote (next to the MUTE button), the info that comes up on the screen (Channel, etc.) should include the time if the clock is set.

vronp is offline  
post #469 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Member
 
stoneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Concord, Mass.
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronp View Post

Thanks for that info. My clock is indeed not set.
...
Also, you may find this interesting. I told the guy that I read online that this clock needs to be set for TVGOS to work. He said: "definately not the case". Later in the conversation I asked him if he was absolutely sure about the clock. He then said he was 90% sure.
...

"theabsolutenuts" site has lots of good info on TVGOS. This forum won't let me add URLs yet, but the link is on their home page.

The TVGOS diagnostic screen showed that it's not finding the channel broadcasting the data. It appears at though v1.3.1 isn't scanning the channels for data, since the "last channel scanned" was 1.
----------
72MX195, Cablecard, Comcast of Mass.
stoneyb is offline  
post #470 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Member
 
vronp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The manual doesn't specify how to view the diagnostic screen. What's the trick ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyb View Post

"theabsolutenuts" site has lots of good info on TVGOS. This forum won't let me add URLs yet, but the link is on their home page.

The TVGOS diagnostic screen showed that it's not finding the channel broadcasting the data. It appears at though v1.3.1 isn't scanning the channels for data, since the "last channel scanned" was 1.
----------
72MX195, Cablecard, Comcast of Mass.

vronp is offline  
post #471 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Member
 
stoneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Concord, Mass.
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronp View Post

The manual doesn't specify how to view the diagnostic screen. What's the trick ?

The "theabsolutenuts" site has the info on getting into and interpreting much of the diagnostic data. There's quite a lot of info there, so I won't try to repeat it here.
stoneyb is offline  
post #472 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Member
 
vronp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My "VBI Chan" was 1:0-52 which sounds like what you show.

I had a rather depressing series of conversation with Insight Cable. I got the tech support supervisory level (after talking to 3 others) and the supervisor didn't really know what TVGOS was.

If I can get a TVGOS feed off a set of rabbit ears, would that be enough? Would that feed carry all of the channels available on the local cable company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyb View Post

The "theabsolutenuts" site has the info on getting into and interpreting much of the diagnostic data. There's quite a lot of info there, so I won't try to repeat it here.

vronp is offline  
post #473 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Member
 
stoneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Concord, Mass.
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronp View Post

My "VBI Chan" was 1:0-52 which sounds like what you show.

Mine showed 1:0-4 (if I recall correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vronp View Post

I had a rather depressing series of conversation with Insight Cable. I got the tech support supervisory level (after talking to 3 others) and the supervisor didn't really know what TVGOS was.

As I understand it, the cable company has very little to do with TVGOS, other than providing the channel mappings. It's really between Toshiba and Gemstar. I was told to expect a call from TVGOS support in 7-10 working days. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vronp View Post

If I can get a TVGOS feed off a set of rabbit ears, would that be enough? Would that feed carry all of the channels available on the local cable company?

It seems possible to me, but I don't know.
stoneyb is offline  
post #474 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
magredc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyb View Post

"theabsolutenuts" site has lots of good info on TVGOS. This forum won't let me add URLs yet, but the link is on their home page.

The TVGOS diagnostic screen showed that it's not finding the channel broadcasting the data. It appears at though v1.3.1 isn't scanning the channels for data, since the "last channel scanned" was 1.
----------
72MX195, Cablecard, Comcast of Mass.


Just to clarify what you mean by your last sentence, are you looking at the HOST CHANNEL (last channel scanned was 1). Your latter post says it was 1:0-4 (Input 1, channel 4). Host Channel will display the last channel it searched for valid info, so if it is incrementing every time you turn the TV on then it is searching.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
magredc5 is offline  
post #475 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Newbie
 
toaterbeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Oregon Coast
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hss_rao View Post

Good for you, for me Toshiba directly said you lamp is ok, but some thing else is faulty, and gave couple of phone numbers to call. let us know how it goes after you receive the lamp.

Received the lamp today from Toshiba and works great. Talked to a rep and he said my spare blub will be sent in aprox 6 weeks at no charge. If they can only get the others stuff fixed I would be happy.

Toshiba 72MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Charter cable of Oregon
toaterbeans is offline  
post #476 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Member
 
stoneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Concord, Mass.
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

Just to clarify what you mean by your last sentence, are you looking at the HOST CHANNEL (last channel scanned was 1). Your latter post says it was 1:0-4 (Input 1, channel 4). Host Channel will display the last channel it searched for valid info, so if it is incrementing every time you turn the TV on then it is searching.

The HOST CHANNEL is blank. This is the VBI CHANNEL. The doc says that the HOST contains the channel where it found data, and the VBI has the channel where it last looked for data.

I believe that I misinterpreted the "1" as being a channel, when it's really the input number. The "0-4" must be the channel. I just checked the TV, and that's still what it says. My channel enable display shows that 97, which is where Comcast says the TVGOS data is sent, is the only analog channel. There doesn't seem to be any way to force the TV to use that channel for the TVGOS.
stoneyb is offline  
post #477 of 1334 Old 03-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Deja-vue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As i mentioned, i tried to order a replacement lamp for my Toshiba, just in case

Here is the E-mail i just got from Partstore.com:

=========================================================
Dear Frank,

We have your part(s) on order, so you are in line to receive it as soon as it becomes available. Unfortunately, it is not in current stock. We apologize for the delay, but the part(s) you ordered is in high demand. We
do our best to make sure that all orders are filled promptly. We will
update you as soon as we receive more information.

You will not be charged for this order until the part is shipped.

For your convenience, we have listed the details of your order below:

Order Number: 2333458

Manufacturer: Toshiba
Part Description: Projection TV L
Part Number: 23311153
Status: Back Ordered
Est. Ship Date: 3/31/2006

=========================================================
Deja-vue is offline  
post #478 of 1334 Old 03-31-2006, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kdog044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyb View Post

The HOST CHANNEL is blank. This is the VBI CHANNEL. The doc says that the HOST contains the channel where it found data, and the VBI has the channel where it last looked for data.

I believe that I misinterpreted the "1" as being a channel, when it's really the input number. The "0-4" must be the channel. I just checked the TV, and that's still what it says. My channel enable display shows that 97, which is where Comcast says the TVGOS data is sent, is the only analog channel. There doesn't seem to be any way to force the TV to use that channel for the TVGOS.

I had problems with TVGOS when Comcast switched the PBS analog channel to digital (channel 6)and added channel 97. I removed channel 6 from the edit channel menu on the TV and it solved my problem. My host channel is identified as channel 3 which is the digital WB channel but TVGOS still works. The only place it is correct is in the Clock Set Chan. The VBI channel changes and I think only indicates the last channel it searched for data on. Until TVGOS identifies a host channel, correct or otherwise, it will never get guide data. You can force the TVGOS to search for a new host channel by temporarily changing your zip code and then changing it back to the correct one.
kdog044 is offline  
post #479 of 1334 Old 03-31-2006, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
enmoco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog044 View Post

I had problems with TVGOS when Comcast switched the PBS analog channel to digital (channel 6)and added channel 97. I removed channel 6 from the edit channel menu on the TV and it solved my problem. My host channel is identified as channel 3 which is the digital WB channel but TVGOS still works. The only place it is correct is in the Clock Set Chan. The VBI channel changes and I think only indicates the last channel it searched for data on. Until TVGOS identifies a host channel, correct or otherwise, it will never get guide data. You can force the TVGOS to search for a new host channel by temporarily changing your zip code and then changing it back to the correct one.

Yet another highly informative post.

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
enmoco is offline  
post #480 of 1334 Old 03-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Member
 
stoneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Concord, Mass.
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog044 View Post

... You can force the TVGOS to search for a new host channel by temporarily changing your zip code and then changing it back to the correct one.

I tried this, but it didn't help.

So you have v1.3.1 and a working TVGOS?
stoneyb is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off