The OFFICIAL Toshiba 56MX195/62MX195/72MX195 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2006, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as SHARPNESS, ... just turn it OFF (0 value), ... any higher will just add video noise - recommended by an ISF Calibrator last year after Calibrating a 56HM195.

Phil - thanks for this tip. I am hoping it will help with some "grainy" parts of some of the NBA playoff games that have been annoying to me. Depending on ESPN vs TNT or the arena a game is being played in, its interesting to see how the quality of the picture is affected.

I tried DVE but wasn't sure if I totally understood all the steps. I have since been playing around with different settings based on what others have posted but have never dropped the sharpness down so low. The picture does seem softer to me so maybe something between 0 and 50 will be pleasing for my eyes.

Now that I have the sharpness so low I suppose I should play around with the contrast, brightness and color settings again. Its enough to drive you bonkers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyb View Post

I tried connecting my PowerBook to my 72MX195 using a single-link DVI to HDMI cable, and found that the PB set the output to 1080i, but the image on the TV wasn't stable. Looked like a sync problem. Colors flickered and the image was stretched vertically so that the scan lines were visible. I hope there's some way to make this work, but I haven't had time to persue it.

Hmm, What type of video card did you PowerBook have? Do you think it could be partially have to do with the DVI->HMDI connection? or something like that?

I wonder if it had to do with the fps in the signal being less than o more than 60 and problems up/downconverting it or something like that. For example some pcs crts do 72-80hz. If you put a 72-80hz signal into a 60fps display device....It could case the vertically stretched image you described.

I wonder if the straight HMDI -> HMDI connection on the newest video cards would provide better results because A. No conversion, B. It would probably be a year or two later video card or same year but higher end model since I think the latest cards are HMDI/DVI with a adaptor(optional) for dvi-vga just in case someone has an old school crt monitor and last year/year before were DVI/VGA.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewi770 View Post

Hmm, What type of video card did you PowerBook have?

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700.
Quote:

Do you think it could be partially have to do with the DVI->HMDI connection? or something like that?

I don't know if it's the cable. It should have worked, unless the TV wants a dual-link cable. I found it suspicious that the cable isn't carried by the manufacturer any more. I got it from Tiger Direct, which often handles closeouts. Perhaps there's a problem with the cable.
Quote:

I wonder if it had to do with the fps in the signal being less than o more than 60 and problems up/downconverting it or something like that. For example some pcs crts do 72-80hz. If you put a 72-80hz signal into a 60fps display device....It could case the vertically stretched image you described.

The cable doesn't do any signal conversion. DVI and HDMI are compatible at this level, they just use different connectors. The PB said it was running 1080i/60Hz, so that should have been fine.
Quote:

I wonder if the straight HMDI -> HMDI connection on the newest video cards would provide better results because A. No conversion, B. It would probably be a year or two later video card or same year but higher end model since I think the latest cards are HMDI/DVI with a adaptor(optional) for dvi-vga just in case someone has an old school crt monitor and last year/year before were DVI/VGA.

Unless you need HDCP, I don't see why having an HDMI connector on a video card would help. Of course, HDMI carries sound too.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

I just got off the phone with Toshiba CS to check on the successsor to 1.3.1 S/W. They indicated it's in Quality Testing right now and expect it to be available in about 2-3 weeks if everything passes. It sounds like they're running a long "soak" test with this new S/W which is a good sign that it will address the 1.3.1 issues affecting TVGOS.

I am still able to get TVGOS with 1.3.1, but it needs a kick about every 7 days as it suddenly stops downloading after that time.

I had them add me to an "escalation" list so I'll get called when the S/W is available. I'll post again when that happens.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
Old 06-05-2006, 10:08 PM

Well, I've had my 56MX-195 running for just over a month now and the bulb already blew. I called last Thursday and after speaking with CS for about 20 mins, said they would 2-day fed-ex a new bulb out. I decided to call today to see what the status was, and they didn't even have record of my original call . They are supposedly sending another one out "within 5 business days."

Needless to say I am pretty bitter. I love the TV, but don't think I will be buying another Toshiba product. I'm sure the bean counters went through the excercise of figuring out what was cheaper, a recall or replace as they go. I don't think they counted on lost revenue from furture purchases. In addition to this, all of my friends and family will be staying away from them as well, they see a month old TV that is already down..

Sorry, I just needed to vent.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:01 AM

I heard it has to do with economy/non-economy mode.

Like the economy mode makes the bulk die much faster. Im wondering if I should lave it on full power or economy?
Old 06-08-2006, 06:26 AM

I have the 62mx195 and my SECOND lamp just blew! Apparently, they have about a four month lifespan! Toshiba is sending another one, how can I tell if I get a "good" one?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I heard it has to do with economy/non-economy mode.

Like the economy mode makes the bulk die much faster. Im wondering if I should lave it on full power or economy?

That is not a fact, just an assumption by some.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongowa View Post

I have the 62mx195 and my SECOND lamp just blew! Apparently, they have about a four month lifespan! Toshiba is sending another one, how can I tell if I get a "good" one?

Thanks

I guess you'll find out in about 4 months.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:34 PM

Was the one that blew one of the "new and improved" version?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Brunner View Post

Was the one that blew one of the "new and improved" version?

I don't think so. It may have been just before they sent those out. How will I know if this one is a "new and improved" one?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:25 AM

Wow. What a coincidence - I'm on my second bulb too and just last night I thought "is it me or is the picture starting to look a little dark?"

BTW - I haven't received "The Letter" from Toshiba stating a new, better bulb is on its way (let alone a new, better bulb). But, regardless of the bulb issue, I still love this TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongowa View Post

Thanks

Old 06-09-2006, 08:42 AM

From my experience the new bulbs don't seem to blow the way the old bulbs did... they just grow dim..... According to Toshiba tech support my set (56HM195) was retro fitted with the new bulb before I received it.... That bulb lasted about 500 hrs before I noticed a marked drop in brightness....

Toshiba CS was very nice and got me a new bulb very quickly...... which last week showed a marked drop in brightness again after about 500 hrs......

It feels like your eyes are tired and you are just not seeing correct.... details in dark area are lost (like black crush) and over all sharpness is lost.....

So these new bulbs don't seem to blow like the old ones, but they don't seem to last any longer.....

Any way my set needs a new light engine (colour wheel), so this may be causing some problem that MIGHT be affecting the bulb...????, according to TCS.

Don
Old 06-09-2006, 02:39 PM

I had a lamp blow on my 62 1080 p shortly after I received it. Toshiba sent me another with the manufactured date of 3-06-06. This was supposed to be the new, improved bulbs. I just checked and I have 640 hours on this one. I purchased another 0ne for a spare. it's no fun sitting waiting for Toshiba to send you another. If this one blows, I'll have them send me another. The spare I purchased has a 3-06-06 mfg. date also. Hopefully, they have found the problem. I love my 62". and believe it has the picture quality of my 720 p LCD. I was really surprized at the picture quality. It's great. By the way I think the price on these bulbs are coming down. I paid about $175. for mine.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a lamp blow on my 62 1080 p shortly after I received it. Toshiba sent me another with the manufactured date of 3-06-06. This was supposed to be the new, improved bulbs. I just checked and I have 640 hours on this one. I purchased another 0ne for a spare. it's no fun sitting waiting for Toshiba to send you another. If this one blows, I'll have them send me another. The spare I purchased has a 3-06-06 mfg. date also. Hopefully, they have found the problem. I love my 62". and believe it has the picture quality of my 720 p LCD. I was really surprized at the picture quality. It's great. By the way I think the price on these bulbs are coming down. I paid about $175. for mine.

Hate to inform you that both of your lamps are of the "old" design,but that is the case. I'm sure that's why they were less. The dates of mfg. have been posted here before.The official Tosh. letter dated 03/23/06 states that they
will be available to ship "soon".Therefor,03/06/06 dates would be old lamps.http://home.wi.rr.com/ragtop262/Toshiba%20Lamp.pdf If you read earlier posts you will see all of the info.

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
Old 06-10-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

I just got off the phone with Toshiba CS to check on the successsor to 1.3.1 S/W. They indicated it's in Quality Testing right now and expect it to be available in about 2-3 weeks if everything passes. It sounds like they're running a long "soak" test with this new S/W which is a good sign that it will address the 1.3.1 issues affecting TVGOS.

I am still able to get TVGOS with 1.3.1, but it needs a kick about every 7 days as it suddenly stops downloading after that time.

I had them add me to an "escalation" list so I'll get called when the S/W is available. I'll post again when that happens.

Thanks for the update - I'm having similiar problems with TVGOS. I also wish there were a way to display the channels in numeric order like Time Warner's Listing.

On another note, my TV becomes really "slow" - seems to be a real lag when selecting items on the remote. Anyone else having similiar issues?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:05 AM

Has anyone received one of the new bulbs with newer mfg date after the 3-06-6. I read the above letter posted above from Toshiba stating the new and improved bulbs will be shipped after May 31. If you have received one, is there any visible difference(dates etc.) from the old ones? Hopefully the new lamps will last for the 6,000-8,000 hours as predicted. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I read the above letter posted above from Toshiba stating the new and improved bulbs will be shipped after May 31.

I think you need to read it again. The letter CLEARLY states that customers should receive the "new" lamps NO LATER THAN May 31st.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:59 PM

I appreciate your pointing out my DUMB mistake. It does CLEARLY states NO LATER THAN MAY 31ST. I'll try to give more thought before I post anymore!
Old 06-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufan View Post

Thanks for the update - I'm having similiar problems with TVGOS. I also wish there were a way to display the channels in numeric order like Time Warner's Listing.

On another note, my TV becomes really "slow" - seems to be a real lag when selecting items on the remote. Anyone else having similiar issues?

You can reorder the channels by going into the TVGOS Change Channel Display menu.

Also, Yes, I have the same lag on my remote that comes and goes. I have experienced it going completely away after several weeks of "up time" in the past, but then every time I performed a power reset on the TV to fix a video problem the lag is there again. Let's hope 1.3.x fixes that too.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:08 PM

Hi Folks, bought a 56MX195 on 27 Febuary 2006, my lamp failed on 9 June 2006. I might have 250 hours on this unit (Lamp set on Low!!) I am very concerned. Have others experienced this short life span on the lamp? Thank God for warranty coverage but it is still very disapointing.

My other issue is the HDMI inputs, one works one does not, have to wiggle plug to get it to work. Also have a DENON 2910, the toshiba will not recognize the HDMI connection. Anyone else have this problem..Thanks..Jack

PS.. One more question, My lamp will be replaced under warranty, will the new lamp carry the one year warranty???

Jack
Old 06-12-2006, 09:30 PM

I never thought to check both HDMI inputs.. I better do that now..

As for the lamp, if you go to Toshiba's website you can enter the serial number for your TV and if it is in a certain range (which it looks like yours should be), they actually extended the warranty for two years on the lamp.. I am sure that this would cover replacements up to the two years.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:52 AM

I contacted Toshiba CS yesterday and discussed my blown lamp, they are shipping the "new and improved" version???? I was told this lamp has a 6 month warranty. Now the original lamp had a 1year warranty and lasted 3 months, I feel like I'm being gyped out of three months of warranty, especially since Tosh has acknowledged that the "original" lamp was faulty.

Jack
Old 06-13-2006, 09:13 AM

The bulb should have the remainder of the 1 year original warranty.... so you should have 9 months left......

Don
Old 06-13-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1959 View Post

The bulb should have the remainder of the 1 year original warranty.... so you should have 9 months left......

Don

Correct

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
Old 06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xartni View Post

I never thought to check both HDMI inputs.. I better do that now..

As for the lamp, if you go to Toshiba's website you can enter the serial number for your TV and if it is in a certain range (which it looks like yours should be), they actually extended the warranty for two years on the lamp.. I am sure that this would cover replacements up to the two years.

Two year warranty on the ORIGINAL lamp only. Any lamp after the original has the greater of one year original warranty or quoted warranty at time of replacement(as this may very)

Old 06-13-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enmoco View Post

Two year warranty on the ORIGINAL lamp only. Any lamp after the original has the greater of one year original warranty or quoted warranty at time of replacement(as this may very)

I see. I just re-read the disclaimer on the website. I stand corrected. I guess it makes some sense if the new lamps are really new and improved.

In my opinion, for the time and trouble they should just make it a two year warranty, period. It's not only a pain when your one month old TV lamp fails, it's a little embarassing (for lack of a better word), most of my friends and family will be avoiding Toshiba from now on based on the fact that the TV lasted only a month before it went out.

btw, what's a "quoted warranty"? Do they quote you something on the phone or in writing with the replacement? I didn't get anything..

Jason
Old 06-13-2006, 10:39 PM

Hello All - I'm a new member - hopefully, this post is going to the right place !

I'm a new owner of a 56MX195 - A great TV with a fantastic picture. I've had the TV for about 3 weeks now and there is a problem that I hope you can help me with.

After a couple of days the TV started to make a noise that sounded like a bad fan - I had the R.C. Willey (retail store) tech make a service call and he advised me to call the local Toshiba Service Center. The Toshiba tech came out that same day and replaced the lamp module - about an hour after he left the noise started up again - this noise in intermittent although it comes on more often now. Today the Tosh tech replaced the fan that cools the lamp module - the noise still persists. It is quite loud when it is present and I have to crank up the Onkyo A/V Rx volume to try and mask it. It seems like the next step is to replace the Light Engine Assembly ?

I was wondering if anyone else has seen (heard) this problem - I did a forum search and found one post on a noisy fan - but this is beyond a noisy fan. I am sitting at my computer 2 rooms away from the TV and I can hear the noise !

One more thing - if the noise is present when I turn "off" the TV it still grinds away while in "quick start stand by" mode (flashing amber light) and only goes away when the TV turns off completely.

Any help/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to describe the problem in full.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienAussie View Post

Hello All - I'm a new member - hopefully, this post is going to the right place !

I'm a new owner of a 56MX195 - A great TV with a fantastic picture. I've had the TV for about 3 weeks now and there is a problem that I hope you can help me with.

After a couple of days the TV started to make a noise that sounded like a bad fan - I had the R.C. Willey (retail store) tech make a service call and he advised me to call the local Toshiba Service Center. The Toshiba tech came out that same day and replaced the lamp module - about an hour after he left the noise started up again - this noise in intermittent although it comes on more often now. Today the Tosh tech replaced the fan that cools the lamp module - the noise still persists. It is quite loud when it is present and I have to crank up the Onkyo A/V Rx volume to try and mask it. It seems like the next step is to replace the Light Engine Assembly ?

I was wondering if anyone else has seen (heard) this problem - I did a forum search and found one post on a noisy fan - but this is beyond a noisy fan. I am sitting at my computer 2 rooms away from the TV and I can hear the noise !

One more thing - if the noise is present when I turn "off" the TV it still grinds away while in "quick start stand by" mode (flashing amber light) and only goes away when the TV turns off completely.

Any help/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to describe the problem in full.

Man,call the place where you got this and tell them to replace it,PERIOD.Your techs are taking advantage too,sounds like to me.Where do you live,in Meridian, or out a bit?Sheep shearer?

Old 06-13-2006, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xartni View Post

I see. I just re-read the disclaimer on the website. I stand corrected. I guess it makes some sense if the new lamps are really new and improved.

In my opinion, for the time and trouble they should just make it a two year warranty, period. It's not only a pain when your one month old TV lamp fails, it's a little embarassing (for lack of a better word), most of my friends and family will be avoiding Toshiba from now on based on the fact that the TV lasted only a month before it went out.

btw, what's a "quoted warranty"? Do they quote you something on the phone or in writing with the replacement? I didn't get anything..

Jason

You didn't get anything because the length of 1 year original factory warranty left is longer than any warranty on a replacement lamp.And BTW, there is nothing wrong with the display, (TV) The lamp blew. Hardly a reason to be embarrassed.I'm sure your family and friends may have come to that conclusion from what you had to say about the whole situation. Pretty shallow outlook. Future may not be as bright as you might like. You maybe should be looking for a new TV, Just my $.02...........

Tags
Toshiba