The OFFICIAL Toshiba 56MX195/62MX195/72MX195 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 1334 Old 09-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Newbie
 
shoresidehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsher View Post

They say it's a problem with a light leak in the light engine. They have ordered one from Toshiba and will be replacing it. I will let you know how it goes. So much for my "new" T.V.



Wow, thanks repsher. That would explain the dark streak or smudge where the light leak is because of less light there than the rest of the picture. Now I know what to tell the local Toshiba tech when I will call them. Thanks again for posting
shoresidehd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 1334 Old 09-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Newbie
 
thegame42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a 62 mx195 and i was wondering what is the best picture setting to use on it ? color brightness and so on....
thegame42 is offline  
post #903 of 1334 Old 09-20-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinbeatz View Post

Just got my 62mh195 delivered to the house yesterday. Box was fine and the television looked in great shape. I plugged it in and the blinking lights are telling me that the lamp unit door is not seated properly (Blue blink and yellow every 3 seconds). I pulled the door off and everything looks ok, I unscrewed and reseated the lamp in case but still getting the error.

Repairman is coming out next Friday, but I was wondering if anyone has seen this problem and had an easy solution.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks.

Mixin - given all the info that's available out there, even though it's less $, why would you opt for the faulty-prone XX195 series versus buying the XX196's? I deliberately waited and bought a 62HM196 due to the various 'issues' (as well as better 'innards')

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Wryker is offline  
post #904 of 1334 Old 09-21-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SnakeEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brother has had a 56MX195 since the end of May. While watching it last night there was a loud pop, quick bright light, and the picture died (sound still works). It appears that the bulb blew. Has anyone else had a problem with the blub going so soon?

We even had the lamp mostly on lower power.
SnakeEyes is offline  
post #905 of 1334 Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Don1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post

My brother has had a 56MX195 since the end of May. While watching it last night there was a loud pop, quick bright light, and the picture died (sound still works). It appears that the bulb blew. Has anyone else had a problem with the blub going so soon?

We even had the lamp mostly on lower power.

LOL - yes I think a few people have had problems with early bulb failure.....
Don1959 is offline  
post #906 of 1334 Old 09-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Newbie
 
mixinbeatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wryker-
I don't think calling the 195 "faulty prone," is necessarily a fair statement. There was a bulb problem that has hopefully been fixed. Even if it hasn't, who cares, I got the 62 inch 195 shipped with a 3 year extended warranty for less then $1800. For me, price was much more important then having the latest and greatest especially since I don't even have cable. I am upgrading from a 25inch TV I have had for years, so in comparison, the quality should be ok for watching movies a few times a week.

Any other questions on my poor buying habits
mixinbeatz is offline  
post #907 of 1334 Old 09-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Member
 
D.Brunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I totally agree with you. I have a 62hm195 and think it's the greates tv I've ever had. Absolutely no problems in over nine months except Toshiba replaced on of the older type lamps. I've been reading these forums and cannot see any problems except with the lamps. They are all gonna have a problem now and then.195 or 196.
D.Brunner is offline  
post #908 of 1334 Old 09-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Member
 
GT1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post

Warning, very long story...

Still no fixed TV. Part still on backorder for at least another 4 weeks. My wife spoke with Mike Wilson today and was told that it would be another 10-15 business days once they start the paperwork for the exchange plus whatever shipping time. I should get a call from their exchange dept in the next couple days to do the paperwork. If I could just return the TV now and buy another brand I would. Toshiba obviously doesn't know how to handle backordered part issues in a timely manner. Our TV has been broken since 8/16 and we're still waiting for a resolution. It makes me physically ill to even look at the dead Toshiba TV in my living room right now.

The sad part about this story is that if the part wasn't backordered, I'd have a working TV. I called the store from which I originally purchased the TV and they actually have 3 of them in stock. However, since it's a manufacturer warranty issue they won't do anything. I called Mastercard (I used a credit card to purchase the TV) and was told that Toshiba still needs more time to resolve the issue before they could do anything. The local repair shops I've worked with cannot do anything except wait for the backordered part from Toshiba. Meanwhile I wait and wait and wait....and still haven't seen an NFL football game in HD on the TV.

I know that this happens with other brands as well, but here are some more great similar Toshiba Customer Service Warranty stories: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...ba_homent.html
GT1Boy is offline  
post #909 of 1334 Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
enmoco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post


I know that this happens with other brands as well, but here are some more great similar Toshiba Customer Service Warranty stories: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...ba_homent.html

Yes, all these stories are very similar.......good luck.....

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
enmoco is offline  
post #910 of 1334 Old 09-21-2006, 08:13 PM
i2k
Senior Member
 
i2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ugh jesus. totally sux man. You need to push the issue to the point of hassling them every 2 hours till they ship that new tv.

i2k

Samsung LED 65" UN65FH6001F
Yamaha AV Receiver RX 673
Mission/Polk Audio speakers
i2k is offline  
post #911 of 1334 Old 09-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Member
 
repsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post

Still no fixed TV. Part still on backorder for at least another 4 weeks. My wife spoke with Mike Wilson today and was told that it would be another 10-15 business days once they start the paperwork for the exchange plus whatever shipping time. I should get a call from their exchange dept in the next couple days to do the paperwork. If I could just return the TV now and buy another brand I would. Toshiba obviously doesn't know how to handle backordered part issues in a timely manner. Our TV has been broken since 8/16 and we're still waiting for a resolution. It makes me physically ill to even look at the dead Toshiba TV in my living room right now.

The sad part about this story is that if the part wasn't backordered, I'd have a working TV. I called the store from which I originally purchased the TV and they actually have 3 of them in stock. However, since it's a manufacturer warranty issue they won't do anything. I called Mastercard (I used a credit card to purchase the TV) and was told that Toshiba still needs more time to resolve the issue before they could do anything. The local repair shops I've worked with cannot do anything except wait for the backordered part from Toshiba. Meanwhile I wait and wait and wait....and still haven't seen an NFL football game in HD on the TV.

I know that this happens with other brands as well, but here are some more great similar Toshiba Customer Service Warranty stories: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...ba_homent.html

I'm in kind of the same situation. I just found out that the light engine they need to replace is on backorder with no due date. I already called them and faxed proof of purchase to get the ball rolling.. But now I will be raising all kinds of hell with them. I just sent off and email. I will be calling back again tomorrow. If I don't get any satisfaction I will find phone numbers of some execs at Toshiba and start calling their numbers and leaving multiple messages.
It's a shame I need to spend this much time on it, but you have to realize that no one really cares except for yourself and you really have to bug them to the point they just want you to go away..
repsher is offline  
post #912 of 1334 Old 09-24-2006, 01:30 AM
Newbie
 
redmond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyb View Post

I connected my Mac laptop to my 72MX195 using a DVI to HDMI cable. Worked fine, but with some overscan.

This should work using an adaptor cable if you have DVI out. Now that I've verified that it works using my laptop, I plan to buy a Mac Mini to use as an AV computer. That way I can show slide shows and home movies easily on the TV.

Hi,

I have a 62MX195 and was thinking of getting a Mac Mini and hooking it up myself too. I was wondering if you've done it yet or not and how it looks. It would save me the trouble to go out and purchase a Mac Mini.

.
redmond is offline  
post #913 of 1334 Old 09-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Member
 
slaxer07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had this problem of and on for about a month now. After switching inputs, cables, checking other sources, I narrowed it down to the TV or cable box. After waiting 2 weeks on Time Warner for a new cable box it still did it so unfortunately the TV (72mx195) is the only thing left. I called toshiba and they sent someone out Fri., all he did was update the firmware. He said that Toshiba wanted to try this first and since it didn't fix it that he would have to order a panel (most likely the input panel).

Ok only thru HDMI in 720p does the TV act up. It flashes blue, and red onto the screen like you were looking thru color filters. I will post a link to the video file.

http://media.putfile.com/TV-Messing-UP

Sorry it's so shaky once I noticed it I was running around like crazy to get the camcorder.
slaxer07 is offline  
post #914 of 1334 Old 09-26-2006, 09:02 AM
i2k
Senior Member
 
i2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have you tried the obvious things? Different HDMI cable? Unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in to have it handshake again?

i2k

Samsung LED 65" UN65FH6001F
Yamaha AV Receiver RX 673
Mission/Polk Audio speakers
i2k is offline  
post #915 of 1334 Old 09-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Member
 
noangelx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ham View Post

I finally tried to install a Compact Flash memory card that has some 640X480 JPG. TV set would not switch to view mode? Tried XD card and still nothing?? Anyone know about this as an issue? The Video 3 input is OK on the side panel.

Robert in San Diego
62MX195
Purchased January 06
MFR date Oct. 05
Still original lamp unit.

Does the 72mx196 have any memory card slots???
noangelx is offline  
post #916 of 1334 Old 09-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Member
 
slaxer07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k View Post

Have you tried the obvious things? Different HDMI cable? Unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in to have it handshake again?

Yeah, I only have one other HDMI cable but it does it also. As far as the handshake goes I used to be able to correct by redoing it but that no longer works.
slaxer07 is offline  
post #917 of 1334 Old 09-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Member
 
GT1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post

Still no fixed TV. Part still on backorder for at least another 4 weeks. My wife spoke with Mike Wilson today and was told that it would be another 10-15 business days once they start the paperwork for the exchange plus whatever shipping time. I should get a call from their exchange dept in the next couple days to do the paperwork. If I could just return the TV now and buy another brand I would. Toshiba obviously doesn't know how to handle backordered part issues in a timely manner. Our TV has been broken since 8/16 and we're still waiting for a resolution. It makes me physically ill to even look at the dead Toshiba TV in my living room right now.

The sad part about this story is that if the part wasn't backordered, I'd have a working TV. I called the store from which I originally purchased the TV and they actually have 3 of them in stock. However, since it's a manufacturer warranty issue they won't do anything. I called Mastercard (I used a credit card to purchase the TV) and was told that Toshiba still needs more time to resolve the issue before they could do anything. The local repair shops I've worked with cannot do anything except wait for the backordered part from Toshiba. Meanwhile I wait and wait and wait....and still haven't seen an NFL football game in HD on the TV.

I know that this happens with other brands as well, but here are some more great similar Toshiba Customer Service Warranty stories: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_...ba_homent.html

UPDATE - I did finally recieve a call yesterday from Chris at Toshiba Customer Service about the exchange of my television. He said that I should be getting a call from their shipping company within the same timeframe I was orginally told by Mike (10-15 business days) to schedule the exchange of my 56MX195 with a new one (same model). It's now been 42 days since I first contacted Toshiba about the problem...unbelievable!
GT1Boy is offline  
post #918 of 1334 Old 09-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Newbie
 
gvistan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I was watching tv today and all of the sudden heard a pop and black screen. Called toshiba and they told me to open it up and see if it pop. HOw can I tell by looking at the bulb if it did pop. Also do I pay any shipping? Do I send the old bulb back?

I still have 4 months of warranty left.
gvistan is offline  
post #919 of 1334 Old 09-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Member
 
repsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post

UPDATE - I did finally recieve a call yesterday from Chris at Toshiba Customer Service about the exchange of my television. He said that I should be getting a call from their shipping company within the same timeframe I was orginally told by Mike (10-15 business days) to schedule the exchange of my 56MX195 with a new one (same model). It's now been 42 days since I first contacted Toshiba about the problem...unbelievable!

Were you able to ask for someone specifically with their customer service that got the ball rolling? I am having no luck with their regualr customer service reps and I'm calling every day. I have the same model (56MX195). It's only been a week since it went to the "research" department, but the TV I "borrowed" from Best Buy has to go back soon.
repsher is offline  
post #920 of 1334 Old 09-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Member
 
GT1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsher View Post

Were you able to ask for someone specifically with their customer service that got the ball rolling? I am having no luck with their regualr customer service reps and I'm calling every day. I have the same model (56MX195). It's only been a week since it went to the "research" department, but the TV I "borrowed" from Best Buy has to go back soon.

Nope, I'd just suggest that you ask them to escalate your case to a supervisor. They will then tell you that a supervisor will call you back within 24 hours. If you have been waiting long enough for a backordered part, the supervisor will then set up an exchange for the entire television, but you will then get to wait another 10-15 business days (where I am now) to get the new tv. The way Toshiba handles these warranty exchanges is absolutely ridiculous.
GT1Boy is offline  
post #921 of 1334 Old 09-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Member
 
Xartni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I've been trying to keep up with this thread since inception, but forgive me if this has been asked before.

I've got a 56MX195...Has anyone experienced delay in the video from the PS2? I am running my PS2 into a Denon 2807 via component cables and out to the Toshiba via HDMI. Most games it is not noticeable, but in Hot Shots Golf (for instance), there seems to be a quarter second delay or so. This makes it very challenging when trying to press the button at the exact moment the power meter is crossing over the bar at which you are supposed to hit it. I did not experience this with our prior 32" tube.

I tried hooking up the PS2 directly to the TV via RCA cables and the delay seems to persist. I have a feeling there is nothing I can do about it, but thought I would ask. I don't play many games, but the kids are bummed out. I've got a PS3 on order and am assuming it will be the same..

Thanks in advance
Xartni is offline  
post #922 of 1334 Old 09-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Member
 
Big Valley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xartni View Post

Ok, I've been trying to keep up with this thread since inception, but forgive me if this has been asked before.

I've got a 56MX195...Has anyone experienced delay in the video from the PS2? I am running my PS2 into a Denon 2807 via component cables and out to the Toshiba via HDMI. Most games it is not noticeable, but in Hot Shots Golf (for instance), there seems to be a quarter second delay or so. This makes it very challenging when trying to press the button at the exact moment the power meter is crossing over the bar at which you are supposed to hit it. I did not experience this with our prior 32" tube.

I tried hooking up the PS2 directly to the TV via RCA cables and the delay seems to persist. I have a feeling there is nothing I can do about it, but thought I would ask. I don't play many games, but the kids are bummed out. I've got a PS3 on order and am assuming it will be the same..

Thanks in advance

I have a component cable for my PS2 also. I have the PS2 running into my Sony receiver via the 3 color component cables and then out the 72HM195 via more component cables. (No HDMI on my receiver.) I experience no delays but I cant say that about Hot Shots. I do have the game so I will load it up later and see if I have a similar problem. Are you talking about Hot Shots 4?
Big Valley is offline  
post #923 of 1334 Old 09-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Member
 
Xartni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have a component cable for my PS2 also. I have the PS2 running into my Sony receiver via the 3 color component cables and then out the 72HM195 via more component cables. (No HDMI on my receiver.) I experience no delays but I cant say that about Hot Shots. I do have the game so I will load it up later and see if I have a similar problem. Are you talking about Hot Shots 4?

Yes, it is Hot Shots Golf 4, thanks.

Let me know what you find.
Xartni is offline  
post #924 of 1334 Old 10-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Member
 
jpoints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

MX is single chip with colorwheel. No 1080p input, but has 2 HMDI, 2 Colorstream, 2 1EEE1394/Firewire and PC input.

This may be a dumb question, but regarding 1080p input based on what I've read, this is what I think is the overall situation right now. Any comments are welcome:

- There is no clear 1080p input standard at this time, and there are a lot of debates on the feasibility of 24, 30, 48, 60, 72 frames per second which creates a the real restriction in broadcast bandwidth and compatibility with the majority of existing TVs.

- Wouldn't the current 1080p sets, by deinterlacing 1080i, basically be providing 1080p 30fps resolution anyway regardless of the input format. I'm sure true 1080p 30fps might be slightly better, and higher frame rates would be much better, but again you get into the limitations of recording and transmission of content (bandwidth) incompatibility with existing sets (very few could view it) and manufacturers would have to support a new standard (still an open item). Only proprietary players could interface to a TV at true 1080p, but then the content would still be limited.


So if I'm understanding this correctly sending 1080P signal through any of the inputs will not render a picture with 1080P resolution? What is the point in having a 1080P tv then? Is it simply to be able to take a 1080P resolution and downgrade it to 720P or 1080i?
jpoints is offline  
post #925 of 1334 Old 10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Member
 
repsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1Boy View Post

Nope, I'd just suggest that you ask them to escalate your case to a supervisor. They will then tell you that a supervisor will call you back within 24 hours. If you have been waiting long enough for a backordered part, the supervisor will then set up an exchange for the entire television, but you will then get to wait another 10-15 business days (where I am now) to get the new tv. The way Toshiba handles these warranty exchanges is absolutely ridiculous.

Thanks, I was know just told that they are putting a claim in for my 56MX195 and will be called in the next 3-5 with the "options". Did you get options or did they tell you the were exchanging?

At least they are having the TV repair place return my TV, which was watchable. I have the light engine light leak problem.
repsher is offline  
post #926 of 1334 Old 10-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Member
 
GT1Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by repsher View Post

Thanks, I was know just told that they are putting a claim in for my 56MX195 and will be called in the next 3-5 with the "options". Did you get options or did they tell you the were exchanging?

At least they are having the TV repair place return my TV, which was watchable. I have the light engine light leak problem.

They didn't give me any 'options'. I was told that they were replacing my 56MX195 with a new same model set. As I mentioned in a a previous post, there really is no equivalent 56" 196 series set for the 56MX195 with 1080p, VGA input, IEEE1394, and THINC, so I'm not surprised that they didn't offer a newer model.

Before my TV was broken I posted that I had noticed a darker area from the lower right corner towards the middle whenever a bright image such as a blue sky was displayed. It sounds like I was going to need a new light engine as well so at least I'll get a new set with a new improved bulb (had ~1200 hours on the old one so I was probably going to pop soon) and light engine.

47 days without a working 56MX195 and counting... Let me know how long it takes for Toshiba to do your exchange.
GT1Boy is offline  
post #927 of 1334 Old 10-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Member
 
Big Valley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A new complaint I now have these TVs is no option to turn off the picture and just have sound. With bulb life a premium and burn in a potential problem it would be nice. Those digital music channels that everyone with satellite or digital cable has pretty much stay on the same picture all day. So to listen to these channels the unneeded picture has to be on.

Wouldn't take much to add an option like that and should have been thought of long ago.
Big Valley is offline  
post #928 of 1334 Old 10-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Don1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Valley View Post

A new complaint I now have these TVs is no option to turn off the picture and just have sound. With bulb life a premium and burn in a potential problem it would be nice. Those digital music channels that everyone with satellite or digital cable has pretty much stay on the same picture all day. So to listen to these channels the unneeded picture has to be on.

Wouldn't take much to add an option like that and should have been thought of long ago.

These sets don't suffer from burn in (thank god)... if you have a Sat or Cable box running to a processor then you can just turn the whole TV off and listen all day long.....

Don
Don1959 is offline  
post #929 of 1334 Old 10-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
magredc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm starting to see some diagonal streaks on the screen from the right side corners, both upper and lower, with the streaks converging towards the center of the screen. Both streaks have the flared shape like holding a flashlight against a wall pointing up (narrow at the bottom and flared as it goes up), with the narrow part starting in the corner of the screen. This is mainly noticeable on a bright screen with the upper streak darker and the lower streak lighter than the screen, but on darker screens the light streak on the lower right is also noticeable depending on the scene. When the screen is black (commercial or no source) the screen is perfectly black.

I've read some people claim this is a light leak from the light engine but I really don't think this is cause. Someone that reported the same issue (Darkstar999) had a light engine replaced and it didn't solve the issue - the streaks actually just slightly moved.

I believe the issue is with the lamp somehow distorting the light source as it enters the light engine that results in these streaks. I know several people have had this same issue and also had their lamp replaced, and I recall one person actually stating that the streaks disappeared after changing the lamp. Just looking for further comment/confirmation of this.

FYI - I'm still on the original bulb (12 months, ~2200 hours and under 2 yr warranty - one of the lucky ones I guess). I do believe the bulb is the issue and may be slowly starting to die resulting in these shapes which started only about 3-4 weeks ago.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
magredc5 is offline  
post #930 of 1334 Old 10-03-2006, 12:21 PM
rfr
Member
 
rfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

[...]

I believe the issue is with the lamp somehow distorting the light source as it enters the light engine that results in these streaks. I know several people have had this same issue and also had their lamp replaced, and I recall one person actually stating that the streaks disappeared after changing the lamp. Just looking for further comment/confirmation of this.

FYI - I'm still on the original bulb (12 months, ~2200 hours and under 2 yr warranty - one of the lucky ones I guess). I do believe the bulb is the issue and may be slowly starting to die resulting in these shapes which started only about 3-4 weeks ago.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

When I recently changed the lamp in my 62HM195 the light streak on my screen all but disappeared. My theory is that either there are subtle internal issues with lamps or the precise fit of the lamp assembly in its mount leads to the problem. The easiest way to test the latter is to use a very thin shim to slightly alter the position of the lamp when it's screwed into place.
rfr is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off