The OFFICIAL Toshiba 56MX195/62MX195/72MX195 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1334 Old 02-06-2008, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the tosh. 62mx195, I am trying to hook up my computer via the network jack on the TV.

I am running vista, the manual only shows how to hook it up using windows xp,

The TV picks up the router, but will not detect the shared files (mp3 and pics folders), placed on the network.

Any help on how to set this up would be of great help tks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1334 Old 03-22-2008, 03:56 PM

72mx195, bought March 2006, build date Oct 2005. First bulb went in May 2006 after 1,548 hours ( watch ALOT of TV), replacement sent. Replacement bulb is still going strong at 11,927 hours. I am hoping that me stating this will bust my bulb before my extended warranty runs out is a few days. It seems to be bad luck to say your bulb is doing fine. Still running original firmware (1.2.4) and no problems. Great TV!!
post #1233 of 1334 Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 AM

Brian, I have same tv as you. I had it hooked up to pc via rj45 and it's nothing special, your not going to blast music through your tv speakers. Most likely you have a surround sound receiver, hook up your pc to the receiver instead. I do have the pc hooked up to the tv via the hdmi input for viewing pics, videos and gaming but you need a pretty good video card in the pc.
post #1234 of 1334 Old 07-25-2008, 11:04 AM

Hi,

I've had some strange behaviour lately with my 72MX195 power cycling itself. Hoping some of you may have some insight into what is happening and more importantly if there is something I can do about it!

I have a Satellite PVR connected to my pre/pro via HDMI and HDMI from the pre/pro to the TV. I also have a PS3 connected to the pre/pro via HDMI.

On power up of the satellite box, pre/pro and TV I initially get sound and picture, then it blanks out for a few seconds, audio drops out then both re-appear. If I immediately change the channel from SD to HD or vice versa the TV power cycles itself. If instead I wait a few minutes before changing channels there is no issue.

Similar issue with the PS 3. I put in a Blu-Ray disc and the DVD menus appeared just fine. I selected my audio output with no issue. I then hit play DVD and the TV power cycled itself before eventually resuming play. After the power cycle I went back to the main menu, checked the audio output and hit play again and this time there was no issue.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any clue what I can do about it? I'm concerned with all the power cycling and the infamous bulb longevity (I'm on my 2nd bulb and fear this will burn it out quite rapidly).

Many Thanks!
post #1235 of 1334 Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 PM

I have a 62nx195 which I have had, now, for over a year. Its run with few problems. However, I got up and turned it on and there was NOTHING. There was no sound and no picture and no light. I swapped out the light thinking that might be the problem - no cigar. I then called a tv guy. He came in and tried to get it to do something and failed. He then took things apart and thought it might be the ballast. He took it home and tested it and it worked just fine. He then came back, re-installed the balast and put everything else back together.

Then, just for grins, he turned it back on and voila! a picture! Now it seems to be running correctly but the tv guy has no clue as to why it would not give a picture and says he did absolutely nothing to make it run now. It is now running just fine but I am now in the never never land of magic, smoke and mirrors.

If anybody might have a clue as to what is going on I would really appreciate their thoughts as I now completely distrust the set as it might decided to do the same thing again!

Thank you.............
post #1236 of 1334 Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM

While I do not know what is going on I can say I have had a similar occurrence. It has happened a couple of times and I have to restore the set to factory defaults in the menu to get it to return. I am betting it is connected to TVGOS. I have not been using TVGOS for a long while and have not had this happen.
post #1237 of 1334 Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 PM

I have a 62MX195 - two bulbs, today Toshiba said too bad, should have called when first one went out - then went through Light engine - typical fan noise, now my picture goes bright white - can see picture through the "haze" it flickers and has a green line - possible causes for this one? I've been loyal to toshiba cinema series tv's but after this one.. Toshiba will not be in the running for next one.
post #1238 of 1334 Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't make myself clear. My unit goes black. No way to get to the menu or anything else it is, effectively, and absolutely, dead! It turns on (blue light) and then the dreaded blinking orange light comes one. It tries to start, I think, eight times and then simply goes dead.

The terrifying part is that it is currently working just fine. The terrifying part is that its going to do it again and I have no clue.

Thanks for the reply.......
post #1239 of 1334 Old 08-31-2008, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

So the other day I noticed what looked like a piece of hair blowing around inside my screen. Luckily, I have an extended warranty (which expires in 10/2008). The technician came out today and told me that dust had gotten into the "engine" and the engine has to be replaced. It is covered under warranty. If it wasn't it would've cost me $1,000.

Does anyone know what this "engine" is and why a company would make such an expensive part that once dust gets inside it has to be replaced?

Also, what am I supposed to do to prevent dust from getting in there in the future?

Thanks
post #1240 of 1334 Old 09-20-2008, 02:41 PM

I have had a 62mx195 since october of 2006 and its been running pretty good. Then, about two or three months ago I turned it on and got a blank screen (blue light steady, yellow blinking and rebooting itself until both blue and yellow lights binking at 1 second intervals).

I have sound but absolutely nothing on the screen - just black. Cannot get to a menu or anything else. I took out the llamp and it was cold so it was not working. The light looked good (nothing loose, etc). Plugged in another lamp with the same results.

Then called a repair man and he took out the light engine and thought it might be the ballast - no cigar. We then moved the set to an outside room as we had to leave for a couple of weeks and the repairman needed to get to it to check out some other things. We returned and I called the repair guy - he said that it was working fine but he had done absolutely NOTHING. That was about two weeks ago.

This morning I turned it on, had sound but was back to the black screen. Evidently when we moved it we temporarily fixed it. The repair guy seems to have no clue and I know I don't have a clue. My hope is that I have two bad lamps and plan to try yet another but doubt that is the problem.

I called toshiba and spoke to a tech who suggested that I do the 'knock test' on the lamp, ie. with the lens up knock on the lamp as the mercury might have not been fully distributed. I did that, no cigar. He said that I would have to find some kind of invoice to show when I bought the set before he could send me a new lamp. I found an invoice and called back to try and get a free bulb from them as per their offer of a bulb for this particular set and serial number. The tech person (different from the first) started to ask the questions on HER screen after I had explained the whole thing to her (she was not listening - just following her screens). I explained that all I wanted to do was to get a new bulb as per instructions on the Toshiba site and that I had an invoice, dates, etc. She didn't get it, kept asking questions, which I had now answered several times, so I asked for a supervisor but none were available.

Does ANYBODY have any thoughts on this one whilst I am trying to get another lamp (without paying out out another 200 bucks on a system that may be simply screwed forever)?

My other thought is that possibly I could just get another light engine which might be better than the one that came with the set.

Thank you...........
post #1241 of 1334 Old 10-03-2008, 08:47 AM

TOSHIBA is one of the most irresponsible, shifty Corporate Monsters out there!!!
I bought my 62" MX195 at the end of 2005 as a house warming/Christmas gift for my husband. At the time I purchase it Toshiba was well aware of the problems with this TV and still continued to profit from not only the sell of there TVs but from the count them people 5 YES 5 $250+ dollar lamps my husband and I continue to have to buy every 6-7 months ever since! The worst part of it ALL is we were given advice by the company with the last purchase to buy 2 at a time. As if 2 at a time cause it's **** is not a bad enough feeling.
When our latest bulb (last week) went out in 5 short months. They said since we purchased it over six months ago (again at their suggestion :-(.... ) that last bulb is not cover under there predetermined safe period of fail er.... NOT COVERED!!
I am out $ 1250.00 + shipping in bulbs to date!!!
I will never ever buy another Toshiba product and I hope for everyone's sake they HEAR my warning!
By the way this is not a single product issues as I have a 42" plasma in my loft by Toshiba with it's own set of issues (specks of color) and this whole bulb thing really has to do with putting out defective products and still finding ways to profit on it over and over.
I hope to GOD we don't have to bail this crappy company out on wall street or I'm quitting my job and going on Gov aid too!
post #1242 of 1334 Old 11-18-2008, 02:28 PM

Hi All.
I dont know much at all about displays such as this one. I am trying to help a freind that owns a House Of The Dead 4 arcade machine which runs a 62MX95 Toshiba display in it.. We had issues with the game board itself and we could not get anything to come up on the screen..

While trying to work out what was going on we have pressed something on the remote which has now flipped the image upside down and cannot work out how to return it to normal..

As this unit was not sold in Aust Toshiba will not help us with what to press on the remote.....

Does anyone know what to press to get the image back to normal...

Thank you for any help you can give...
post #1243 of 1334 Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 AM

Try this link to get the owners manual from Toshiba:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...MX195_om_e.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipo View Post

Hi All.
I dont know much at all about displays such as this one. I am trying to help a freind that owns a House Of The Dead 4 arcade machine which runs a 62MX95 Toshiba display in it.. We had issues with the game board itself and we could not get anything to come up on the screen..

While trying to work out what was going on we have pressed something on the remote which has now flipped the image upside down and cannot work out how to return it to normal..

As this unit was not sold in Aust Toshiba will not help us with what to press on the remote.....

Does anyone know what to press to get the image back to normal...

Thank you for any help you can give...

pnuyens
post #1244 of 1334 Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 AM

If I buy a Blu-ray dvd player will I get a 1080P picture on a 62MX195 TV? If not what is the highest quality image I can get and what would I use to get it?

Thanks!!

pnuyens
post #1245 of 1334 Old 11-21-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Nuyens View Post

If I buy a Blu-ray dvd player will I get a 1080P picture on a 62MX195 TV? If not what is the highest quality image I can get and what would I use to get it?

Thanks!!

Yes. You would output 1080i from the Blu-Ray player and the 62MX195 will deinterlace it to 1080p. The weekness of the 62MX195 and similar models (I have the 72MX195) is that they do not accept a 1080p signal. Thus the set is deinterlacing to 1080p rather than the player. The player may or may not deinterlace better; ultimately it is close enough.

That's the simple answer, I think.
post #1246 of 1334 Old 11-25-2008, 06:04 AM

Hello all, Can anyone out thier help me out. I have a yellow tinted screen with about a dozen vertical line spaced evenly across my screen. Color wheel right? The repair requires an entire new light engine. But here is whats weird! My on screen menu wont work if my TV input is set to one of the inputs that I use. So if I set the input to an input I dont use, the menu will come right up. ANy ideas. I am looking at replacing the light engine myself and I want to make sure thats the problem. Would the light engine effect the menu not comming up with set on certain inputs. Please help!

thanks, js
post #1247 of 1334 Old 01-03-2009, 11:48 AM

I am trying to setup the network connection in the TV to view my VISTA computer. Is there some trick to the setup that is different to XP. I work in IT, so I understand how things work related to directory sharing and directory security, but I must be missing something.

I have set the pictures folder to share and included the guest account

I have also ensured that the guest account has permissions to view the pictures directory and the sub directories
post #1248 of 1334 Old 01-04-2009, 06:39 PM

I recently picked up this 72"tv. I know it was manufactured dec/05(took the screen off,date on inside chasis) my previous tv was a 2001 65" rear crt toshiba. I have noticed i have some motion blur problems, that are bothering me greatly. But i am not certain there is a problem in the set. The most basic explanation of what i am seeing is this- when my kids play xbox360 and the words in rockband go across the screen(like karoake) the words are partly blurred, like the tv cant keep up with the speed of the letters moving. Now i do notice this when there is slightly faster panning from left to right during regular tv viewing. I have tried different inputs, hd sc dvd all different sizes of picture inputs- even s-video. i still have this problem. I was hoping someone would tell me if this is normal, or if this seems abnormal? The only other way i could describe it , is that the tv cant focus properly on fast moving things crossing the screen, or fast panning motions the camera makes. I hope someone with this set can tell me if they noticed this or not, as my older tv was very smooth compared to this one. Although this tv has sharper brighter and more colorful picture, this focus/blur problem makes me want my old tv back.
thanks
joe
post #1249 of 1334 Old 01-29-2009, 04:33 PM

does anyone know how to replace the reflection mirror in the 56hm195? i cant even figure out how to get the screen assembly off the front
post #1250 of 1334 Old 02-04-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62MX195 View Post

TOSHIBA is one of the most irresponsible, shifty Corporate Monsters out there!!!
I bought my 62" MX195 at the end of 2005 as a house warming/Christmas gift for my husband. At the time I purchase it Toshiba was well aware of the problems with this TV and still continued to profit from not only the sell of there TVs but from the count them people 5 YES 5 $250+ dollar lamps my husband and I continue to have to buy every 6-7 months ever since! The worst part of it ALL is we were given advice by the company with the last purchase to buy 2 at a time. As if 2 at a time cause it's **** is not a bad enough feeling.
When our latest bulb (last week) went out in 5 short months. They said since we purchased it over six months ago (again at their suggestion :-(.... ) that last bulb is not cover under there predetermined safe period of fail er.... NOT COVERED!!
I am out $ 1250.00 + shipping in bulbs to date!!!
I will never ever buy another Toshiba product and I hope for everyone's sake they HEAR my warning!
By the way this is not a single product issues as I have a 42" plasma in my loft by Toshiba with it's own set of issues (specks of color) and this whole bulb thing really has to do with putting out defective products and still finding ways to profit on it over and over.
I hope to GOD we don't have to bail this crappy company out on wall street or I'm quitting my job and going on Gov aid too!

You can get reimbursed because Toshiba is being sued. I posted a thread here that didn't get any replies, but many views. I might as well post it here also since so many people have spent money on lamps.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1074026

http://www.dlplampsettlement.com/

Does anyone know if these models suffer from "HDTV lag"?
post #1251 of 1334 Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellG View Post

You can get reimbursed because Toshiba is being sued. I posted a thread here that didn't get any replies, but many views. I might as well post it here also since so many people have spent money on lamps.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1074026

http://www.dlplampsettlement.com/

Does anyone know if these models suffer from "HDTV lag"?

I guess I was 'lucky' in buying the newer model 62HM196 that I haven't had any problems with for over 2 years.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #1252 of 1334 Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I guess I was 'lucky' in buying the newer model 62HM196 that I haven't had any problems with for over 2 years.

I think it is the luck of the draw. I have the same model as her above and after 3 years I replaced the bulb(which was still working) and didn't notice any increase in brightness. I figure about 4000 hours on the original bulb which is sitting in a box as a backup when the new one goes out.
post #1253 of 1334 Old 02-28-2009, 06:33 AM

I am new to this forum but have read numerous posts in the past especially when I was originally choosing which TV to purchase. I had purchased a toshiba 72HM195 in December 2005 for $3600 over the internet and was happy to learn that they had substituted the 72MX195 model upon arrival. I am on my second bulb which from reading here seems to be OK. The set has really been great until this week when I began having a very abnormal picture. When the TV initially is turned on there is a bright light flicker. As the TV is on longer a blueish color starts from the bottom and progresses upward to about 75% of the screen in addition to the bright light flicker. If you go up closely you can see lots of vertical zig zag type lines. I am going to bring it to a Toshiba recommended shop but I am told if it is the light engine which I suspect from my readings it will cost ~ $1,000.00 to fix. My concern is what is the average lifespan of these light engines and is it worth fixing. We love the set but to pay $1,000 after 3 years in addition to the cost of the replacement bulbs seems unreasonable. Has anyone tried to negotiate this cost with Toshiba with their out of warranty sets? The warranty for the repair will only be 90 days. If I were to buy a new TV, I would not purchase another DLP and thus would need to go smaller to maintain a reasonable cost. Any thoughts?
post #1254 of 1334 Old 04-11-2009, 08:30 PM

My sytem is not the ultra high end but not bad. The components are
Toshiba 62" 62MX195
VIP722 HD DVR
Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS
Toshiba HD-A30 (Has the Anchor Bay Tech VRS video processing chip (the same used in the Oppo DV-983 except one generation older).
Oppo DV-980H
Definitive Technology 7.1. The 3 front speakers all have their own powered subwoofers along with a 15" Def Tech powered sub.

Is there a way to set the picture resolution on the TV or is the receiver the only component that offers a choice of what component will handle all of the upconversion?

Any suggestions on setup? I would sure appreciate it.
post #1255 of 1334 Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 AM

What about the bulb on the 56MX195? We've had ours since Feb 2006 and have had 3 bulbs replaced. Of course, they can not come out the same day, so we are without our TV for 2 days. Now the TV won't come on at all, the yellow light just blinks (the blue light is on). Is the TV worth fixing?
post #1256 of 1334 Old 04-27-2009, 08:43 PM

i have had the same problem, 3 bulbs also. just found out today that im looking at a 500 to 700 $ repair it is the light engine .found toshiba to be not very helpful for this . did find a web sight that carrys them but there is a back order on them . so sound like we are not the only ones with this problem.
post #1257 of 1334 Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM

yes i have and good luck . i have scraped mine. toshiba will not respond to emails and customer service will not help you. its going to take anouther lawsuit to get them to admit they screwed every one that owns one of these tv's. i went through 3 bulbs before the warrenty ran out then the light engine quit.but toshiba is more than willing to send you a new bulb. ithank the problem was always the light engine they just wanted to make it through the warrenty .
post #1258 of 1334 Old 05-02-2009, 03:16 PM

I've got a 56MX195. Blinking lights just reared their ugly head. Last time this happened, about a year ago, I opened the lamp unit door and futzed with the lamp unit door switch. This seemed to do the trick. This time, I tried it again, but to no avail. Taking the next step I removed the lamp unit, glanced at the bulb, and reseated it. I could see no evidence of bulb failure. What does a dead bulb look like? Is there broken glass or something?

Also, does anyone have experience with these door switches? If that was faulty, the set would never get the signal that the door is closed and the bulb would never power on. Any info on diagnosing or replacing the switch? Or other ideas?
post #1259 of 1334 Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 AM

Hi. I own a Toshiba 72MX195 Cinema Series HD TV. Yesterday upon turning the TV on there is this extreme bleeding of green all over the screen. You can see the individual green pixels in certain areas of the screen. As I said, big green blotches. They're never stationary and move around with the picture. I've switched to every input on the TV and it does the same thing no matter if I'm watching HD content on DirecTV or playing my Playstation 3. I turned off the TV and let it shut down and booted it back up. The problem was absent for about 30 minutes or so and it returned. Then after being on several hours it went away, so it appears to happen at random. This was yesterday. So after waking up today, I thought maybe the TV being off a while while sleeping would help, but it did the same thing. I've spent alot of money on this TV including replacement bulbs, so this does not make me very happy at all. So please, I look to you for advice and help. Thank you.
post #1260 of 1334 Old 06-20-2009, 11:43 AM

I am in my 4th week of waiting for a new light engine to be delivered to the repair shop. Turned the set on back during May 24 long weekend and lower half of the picture was like looking through a screen door. The set is 3 years old this Fathers Day '09 and its a major expense to replace the light engine. Furthermore to use authenic parts is taking weeks to arrive.

Anyone have similar problems as this?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page