The OFFICIAL Toshiba 56MX195/62MX195/72MX195 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 44 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1291 of 1334 Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfing4me View Post

Hey guys i snapped a couple of pics of my screen ive replaced the bulb 3 times since 2006 and now i dont know what its doing. The bulb does look a little burnt but its never done this just gone out and stopped working.

I do not Know what happened but mine just started the same as your picture. I noticed you just posted, did you learn anything about this issue yet.

Alan
aseidner@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1334 Old 12-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfing4me View Post

Hey guys i snapped a couple of pics of my screen ive replaced the bulb 3 times since 2006 and now i dont know what its doing. The bulb does look a little burnt but its never done this just gone out and stopped working.

My TV started doing the exact same thing two days ago. Did you get yours fixed and what was the problem? Please help.
post #1293 of 1334 Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseidner View Post

I do not Know what happened but mine just started the same as your picture. I noticed you just posted, did you learn anything about this issue yet.

Alan
aseidner@gmail.com

I am really getting fed up with my tv. I have owned it for 3.5 years and have already gone through 3 lamps and 3 light engines and now this problem. The tech came over today and said "gee, I dunno, never seen this problem before". He said he would contact Toshiba on Monday and see what he could find out. Meanwhile, I started to do some research on my own and am pretty sure it is the light engine AGAIN. Thank God I bought the extended 5 year warranty. BUT, the last time the LE went out, Toshiba said "we do not make the LE any longer for that particular model, so you will have to send us your old one and we will refurbish it and send it back". Took 4 stinking weeks. This really really sucks for the holidays! The tech told me that Mitsubishi makes the best DLP tv's. My nearby CompUSA store has a 63 inch model for 1199 and a 75 inch model for 1499. I am tempted to purchase the 75 and forget about the Toshiba. Anyway, I made another appointment for Monday to have the tech come back to my house and pick up the LE and ship it back to Toshiba. I am also going to call my warranty company and ask them if I can just get a "comparable" tv (like the Mitsu 75") or get a buyback (which I will use on the Mitsu 75"). Otherwise, will have to wait for the refurb LE to get my unit back up and running. Good luck to everyone with a similar issue getting this resolved. I will try and upload a pic of my screen either tonight or tomorrow for others on this thread to see.
post #1294 of 1334 Old 12-18-2009, 04:14 PM

The tech said he spoke with Toshiba and the symptoms are indicative of a bad or faulty light engine. Going with plan A at this point to have the tech remove it on Monday. Will post updates as they happen.
post #1295 of 1334 Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 PM

OK, just got home from work. Here is a picture of what my TV is doing. The snowy areas are gone, now I just have a double image on my screen as shown.
LL
post #1296 of 1334 Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 AM

The tech took away my tv today. I am currently using a 32 inch Vizio in its place. What a stinkin' small tv. Especially during the holidays and with lots of sports coming up. Please Toshiba, refurbish my Light Engine quickly..
post #1297 of 1334 Old 01-29-2010, 02:20 PM

after two tries, I have given up. Tri state module fixed the light engine twice with bad results. They want me to send it in a third time, but I don't think I should go without the tv for another 4 weeks to let them try again. I think I have been more than reasonable shipping and waiting for repairs. If anyone wants parts I have a new bulb, a new ballast board, and everything else including a defective light engine.

Thanks
post #1298 of 1334 Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 AM

I have a Toshiba DLP projection TV, model 56MX195. When I turn on the TV from a cold start the picture comes on and in about one minute the picture dims a little, then there is a loud clunk/clank sound and the picture comes back to regular brightness. After two or three repeats of this behavior, I turn off the TV. At that point the clunks continue periodically for several minutes. The sequence goes like this: 1) A motor starts and runs for a few seconds and then stops. It almost sounds like it is binding when it stops. 2) The motor starts again and runs for a few seconds and stops but this time when the motor stops there is a clunk. The sequence of motor starts/stops, motor starts/stops/clunks, motor starts/stops, motor starts/stops/clunks continues for several minutes. During this time the blue light is off and the yellow light blinks at one second intervals. After a few minutes the yellow light goes out and the clunks stop. At this point I can turn the TV back on and it works fine for the rest of the evening. What could be causing the clunking and dimming?
Thanks, fljohn
post #1299 of 1334 Old 02-20-2010, 08:22 PM

I just got a 72MX195 and when i turn it on i get a perfect pic on the right side but the left side of he TV is multi-collored ie "snow". I got this from a friend that had a local TV repair man come out and said i had to send it back to Toshiba to have the light engine replaced. Is this true? and could I possibly do this myself. I am new to the TV repairing but i have done alot of computer repair, dont know if it is at all the same. Thank you in advance.
post #1300 of 1334 Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 AM

sounds like the classic light engine failure. it's hard to find someone willing to rebuild them, but I've seen them on Ebay for 519 dollars.
post #1301 of 1334 Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 AM

I had the same problem. Toshiba makes it difficult to get anything done. They told me last summer they had the part on order. I keep calling Toshiba and the local repair shop. The repair shop got so tired of me they told me to go to Toshiba directly from now. I spoke with Toshiba last month and they said I need to go to a new shop now. My warranty is now expired and the new shop wants a lot of $$$ to look at it.

I can't believe I bought a Toshiba TV in 2007 that dies in 2 years from a critical defect; and then they wont even work with the customer.

I ended up buying a new 73" Mitsubishi in Nov 2009.

I own several Toshiba laptops, 2 dvd payers and few other items.

I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING WITH THE NAME TOSHIBA ON IT AGAIN.

Additionally, my company uses a lot of Toshiba Semiconductor parts for my product line. I have already called Arrow and Avnet (Toshiba distributors) to let them know about switching since I was able to cross their parts.
post #1302 of 1334 Old 03-20-2010, 08:22 AM

Well it seems after 5 years (lucky me) my Color wheel has died. I can't seem to find one any where. Questions I have that I hope I can get some answers to...

1.) Will a Color Wheel from a 62HM196 work on my 62MX195?

2.) Does any one no the actual part number for the 62MX195 Color Wheel or Light Engine?

3.) What are the chances of me actually trying to fix it myself?

4.) Does someone have a list of compatible Color Wheels or Light Engines I could look for?

Thanks for answering any of the above questions.

If it is not broke, don't fix it.
post #1303 of 1334 Old 04-17-2010, 02:57 PM

Hello all.

I am parting out my light engine and thought i would post here for those do it yourselfers out there. I have 3 items for sale on ebay from a 62mx195. The parts will work on the following models.

56HM195
62HM195
72HM195
56MX195
62MX195
72MX195

After looking at different part numbers the only difference between all these models is the black projector that the final image comes out of.

I still have the light engine and if there are any parts off of it you would like that arent listed on ebay let me know and we can see what i can do to help.

I cant post hyperlinks yet so if you are interested i have a color wheel, dlp chip and light tunnel. PM for links.
post #1304 of 1334 Old 04-17-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24katz View Post

My TV started doing the exact same thing two days ago. Did you get yours fixed and what was the problem? Please help.

I can tell you exactly what this is. This just happened on my tv. On the DMD board there are two black DLP chips i am 99.9% sure it is one of those. Almost like each one controls half the screen. What you need is a new DMD board. There is a guy on ebay selling one for a 72hm195. The only differences between the light engines for 56hm195, 62hm195, 72hm195, 56mx195, 62mx195, and 72hm195 is the black projector that the final image comes out of. It seems to blow up the image to the correct size. $150 and the problem is fixed
post #1305 of 1334 Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM

My original post from October 19, 2009:

I am still using my 56mx195, but primarily for 480p movies. I've moved the master cable box to another room. There are still color distortions, primarily blue although sometimes green mottling or lines, but it is not unwatchable, just unacceptable. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a suitable replacement at this time and don't want to pay the diagnosis fee (quoted at $70 in store or $95 on site) for what I reasonably expect to be the light engine.

Gwpahrump, could you provide detail for the "cleaning" you performed and if you think that might clear up my blue streaks? Otherwise, I may contact you later in connection with my salvageable parts. Thanks.

UPDATE:

The light engine or bulb (not sure which and don't really care) finally failed completely. The Winter Olympics and a timely sale at BJ's caused me to purchase a 55" LCD Vizio. Extremely satisfied. Brighter screen, no light bulb/engine issues to worry about (I don't know what potential LCD issues exist but in this case I prefer the unknown to the known).

My former baby (56MX195) is sitting in the garage. Any suggestions for profitable disposal to recoup some of the cost of the new set?
post #1306 of 1334 Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlack View Post

My original post from October 19, 2009:

I am still using my 56mx195, but primarily for 480p movies. I've moved the master cable box to another room. There are still color distortions, primarily blue although sometimes green mottling or lines, but it is not unwatchable, just unacceptable. Unfortunately, I cannot afford a suitable replacement at this time and don't want to pay the diagnosis fee (quoted at $70 in store or $95 on site) for what I reasonably expect to be the light engine.

Gwpahrump, could you provide detail for the "cleaning" you performed and if you think that might clear up my blue streaks? Otherwise, I may contact you later in connection with my salvageable parts. Thanks.

UPDATE:

The light engine or bulb (not sure which and don't really care) finally failed completely. The Winter Olympics and a timely sale at BJ's caused me to purchase a 55" LCD Vizio. Extremely satisfied. Brighter screen, no light bulb/engine issues to worry about (I don't know what potential LCD issues exist but in this case I prefer the unknown to the known).

My former baby (56MX195) is sitting in the garage. Any suggestions for profitable disposal to recoup some of the cost of the new set?

depending on what was bad with it you can sell the color wheel for atleast $100 and if the DMD board is good, you can sell that too.
post #1307 of 1334 Old 05-09-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I know this is a older thread, but I have two DVR2160's for sale. One operates 100%, but the other has a bad interface board that I confirmed by swapping boards between the two.
Both drives have a copy of HD Net's test patterns (a 15 minute segment). Both also have very low hours. These work off of older Samsung, Mits and Toshiba TV's with 1394 ports.

The one with the bad interface board could easily be modified for a external HDD enclosure for a PC.

PM me if interested.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1308 of 1334 Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM

I know this is an old threat, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
3 Days ago, the lower half of the screen on my 62HM195 went fuzzy. See picture here:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0H...uthkey=COHEjTE

Wondering if anyone can point me to the exact problem. I've read through the forum, but haven't been able to determine the exact problem. Don't want to replace parts randomly for what they cost.

All help is appreciated.
post #1309 of 1334 Old 10-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Hi all--I know this probably exists somewhere, I can't seem to find it, so my apologies. Have had my 62HM195 for about 5 years--a couple bulbs replaced but overall have really enjoyed the TV. All of a sudden a couple weeks ago the colors are all screwed up, splotchy/ghosting (pink especially off bright things) and I can't figure out why. Opened it up, no big buildup on the color wheel (if I was looking at the right thing). Attached is a video showing what it looks like--the gradiation on Brian Williams' face shows what I mean--that is indicative of what I see.

Problem goes away if I jack the contrast, brighness, and color down to the low 30s--very very hard to watch, however, when I do that! Not a long term solution at all.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJcgQCjXUME

post #1310 of 1334 Old 11-25-2011, 04:32 PM

i have a strange case:

i have a 56MX195. i bought it from a friend who was moving and wanted to get a new tv. it worked fine for 3 months or so but then one day i started having problems. the problem i've been having is whenever i play anything with a display of less than 1080i, i get sound but no picture. most notable is on my PS3. games and movies that play in 1080i work fine. the 720p ones flash just as the game starts then just give me a black screen with the normal sound. if i exit out of the game (blindly) the picture returns when it gets back to the 1080i PS3 menu screen.

i have my cable (COMCAST) going through the other HDMI port and so far no problems there either (1080i output). i did try switching the HDMI cables and switching the imports (putting the PS3 in port 1 as opposed to 2) and my Nintendo Wii is in Colorstream 2 and i only get sound there too as the Wii doesn't support 1080i. and once again i get the same black screen from the AV1, 2, and 3 ports too.

so i tried the factory reset and still have the same problem but now when i turn it on it takes 4-5 minutes to light up (but i get sound right away). the quick start setting is set to on but if i cut it off and turn it back on right away, it takes another 4-5 minutes. i think that might have something to do with the bulb life but it's been doing the same thing for about a month now. after reading through some of the post here for the past few days, i tried checking the bulb hours but i get "no display" there. i'm wondering if there is another secret setting that might affect the resolution problem?

so tried calling toshiba but they said they couldn't help me with that problem and directed me to a local repair shop in my area. i'd rather not spend the money for a repairman to tell me the same thing. i haven't seen this problem anywhere else on the internet in my searching for the past month so i'm asking here. any answers?

i've tried unplugging the power cord for a while to hours, changing the power strip, changing to better HDMI cables, checking on another tv (everything worked fine on it), factory reset, changing the display setting on the PS3 (it's not that), and changing the tv's limited display options.

thanks
post #1311 of 1334 Old 01-02-2012, 12:24 PM

I have a 6 year old Toshiba 62MX195. Lamp was replaced under warranty after first few months. So lamp is 6 years old but average usage only about 2 hours per day.

A few months ago, with a completely black screen, I noticed the right half of the screen as brighter (or worse black level) than the left half of the screen. Not exactly 50-50, maybe 55% left-45% right. More recently, I noticed it in dark scenes. Don't know if it's getting worse, or I'm just noticing it more. Overall, black level seems worse than it used to be, but could be subjective perception. Thank you for any help you may provide.
post #1312 of 1334 Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM

the title says it all,

I have a 56mx195, it stated to have a bad aspect ratio and then the next day the picture went out. I have been pocking around and I have seen people talking about no picture but that have sound and some other people talking about they can pull up the menu and such. I have nothing. I am hoping to get this fix because I am a broke b#%$^ and I dont want to buy another tv.
post #1313 of 1334 Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 AM

I believe my color wheel or engine needs to be replaced on my 72hm195. I want to clean my color wheel to see if that improves the picture before shelling out the $$$ for replacement parts. Does anybody know where I can find a good diagram or video on how to accomplish this. thanks.
post #1314 of 1334 Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 AM

I have all parts from a 56mx195 and will ship any and all boards, projector, wires, cables, etc. .....cheap.

If anyone needs anything PM me.
post #1315 of 1334 Old 04-24-2012, 12:53 PM

I just got this same tv from a friend he said it would start turning blue etc after it was in for a while. I took it apart and there was so much brown smoke covered dust in it it was crazy. I blew all dust out etc turned it on its been playing fine for two days straight . He also put a new bulb in it. The picture is not as bright as could be . So I am taking color wheel etc all out going to clean it with alcohol/ swab clean the lens and mirror inside as week as inside screen and bulb. I assume it prolly has a smoke film covering it all from the looks of everything else. Gonna see if that brightens it up.
post #1316 of 1334 Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 AM

this is my first post, thought i would contribute a bit. I had a high mileage 72mx195, about 28000hours. The main power supply went, i tested the ballast- pulled components off the boards to confirm they were good. I had a new bulb and the one in it was still good. I started looking for a 72 inch used so i could swap parts. Since many of these TVs are popping bulbs and the owners just buy a flat screen and want to bet rid of the big box in there living room. I found a 62inch 2006 model with a blown bulb. Here is where it gets interesting. I get the 62inch home and pull the lamp assembly out, the housing is a different shape, but the bulb looks the same as the 72inch model. So i swap the bulb out- the 72mx195 bulb fits and works in the 62hm196 model, and works fine. So im a happy camper. Then i start thinking- maybe i can put the guts of the 62inch into the 72inch cabinet. So it turns out that the components from the 62 inch fit EXACTLY into the 72 inch cabinet, same screw holes and all. I switched out the center LED indicators and the cable for the video 3 inputs. I thought i might have to switch out the lens since the optics were meant for a smaller tv, well not the case. The picture was flawless- just a small turn of the lens and the picture was clear and focused. So there you are folks, maybe this will work for you when you tv craps out. By the way i picked up the doner 62inch for $100.
LL
LL
LL
post #1317 of 1334 Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 AM

72hm195 so how do I adjust the convergence ( screen ) it looks good but when there are letters etc words displayed they are not clear , I have a older toshiba 46 inch it has a convergence setting to fix those type of things is there a way to adjust picture focus etc???
post #1318 of 1334 Old 04-28-2012, 03:48 PM

there is no convergence on dlp as there are not 3 lamps to converge- there is a focus ring like you would have on a camera
post #1319 of 1334 Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 PM

Ha, well that totally make sense. I'm way to use to my older hd toshiba. So how the heck do I adjust the dlp. Also the screen is off about 1/2 inch on one corner meaning the screen is just slightly off center
post #1320 of 1334 Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM

Ok I figured out why was off center, I loosens small look like set screwed turned the black ring around lense, nothing really changed no matter what I did. The only problem with the tv is the text, it all looks great except toward the bottom of the screen. Like just the bottom is out of focus. It's not totally awful but enough to not read very well as such playing a video game etc. Also here's the strange part. I have some movies on my xbox that was downloaded in HD.. They look awful. They are 1080p , yes I know the tv does 1080i. But my old toshiba does 1080i also and the movies look gone on the old toshiba projection. Any suggest on that one also
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page