The OFFICIAL Toshiba 56MX195/62MX195/72MX195 OWNER'S THREAD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1334 Old 01-15-2006, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufan View Post

Well, still having cable card problems despite getting a different TV (56MX195). I just think its ridiculous that the manufacturer advertises the features of a cable card and they just don't fricking work. Seems like fraud to me.

Well the cable cards work in the 2004 models so I would bet they also work in the 2005's. Most likely the problem is with your cable provider and if yours is not working you need to demand that they work with the Toshiba engineers to resolve the problem. I have Comcast and after having a few owners inviting Toshiba out to look at the issue discovered that Comcast was using frequencies beyond what the cable card specification and the TV was set to expect. Toshiba ended up updating the firmware to accomodate the difference and that resolved my issues early on. You need to call and talk to Paul at Toshiba in the support department as he was the main person involved with cable card issues.

I will say that Comcast did make a good effort to resolve my problems and they were out multiple times with different cable cards even though they don't charge monthly rental on the cable card. Your cable provider is just as much responsible for getting the card to work and you need to put pressure on them as well as Toshiba to discover the nature of your problem. I have had mine for about eight months and once they got it working it has been flawless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1334 Old 01-15-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sufan
Well, still having cable card problems despite getting a different TV (56MX195). I just think its ridiculous that the manufacturer advertises the features of a cable card and they just don't fricking work. Seems like fraud to me.

enmoco
Where do you live,and, what cable co.do you have?Put this in every post so someone can post from your area.Do you really still think its the display AGAIN? I believe you are having the classic case of the cable co.runaround.Toshiba swapped sets for you, and as I understood, you got a newer model?Fraud?You have never stated in detail why they swapped.A tech came and reasoned that your other set was incapable of reading a CC?Told Toshiba this and they swapped sets?Sounds as if Toshiba has gone way beyond fair,unless I am UNreasonable.Some cable cos. have more trouble than others but if you feel your cable co.has just been GREAT about this,report that as well and maybe I would see this in a different light.Demand a solution from your Cable Co. as more likely than not,that is your problem.(headend recognition?)Of course there is always a STB.Please give a more detailed explanation of this issue and less rant and possibly someone can help you to arrive at a solution.
Just my .02
Quote:sufan
Quote:

Enmoco, thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I am going to keep harping on Time Warner about the cable card. You are right, Toshiba has provided pretty good Customer Support and Time Warner doesn't seem to have a clue regarding the cable cards.

The effect I was talking about was a "streaking" behind the person moving - sorry I just can't seem to explain what I am seeing in English. Thanks again for the assistance.

Remember this?

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
post #183 of 1334 Old 01-16-2006, 06:34 AM

[quote=enmoco]Quote:

enmoco
Where do you live,and, what cable co.do you have?Put this in every post so someone can post from your area.Do you really still think its the display AGAIN? I believe you are having the classic case of the cable co.runaround.Toshiba swapped sets for you, and as I understood, you got a newer model?Fraud?You have never stated in detail why they swapped.A tech came and reasoned that your other set was incapable of reading a CC?Told Toshiba this and they swapped sets?Sounds as if Toshiba has gone way beyond fair,unless I am UNreasonable.Some cable cos. have more trouble than others but if you feel your cable co.has just been GREAT about this,report that as well and maybe I would see this in a different light.Demand a solution from your Cable Co. as more likely than not,that is your problem.(headend recognition?)Of course there is always a STB.Please give a more detailed explanation of this issue and less rant and possibly someone can help you to arrive at a solution.
Just my .02
Quote:sufan

Sorry for the rant. Last week it took about four days and several phone calls to get Time Warner to call me back and I just lost my cool.

Toshiba says its the cable company while the cable company (Time Warner in New York State) says its Toshiba and they have had a lot of problems with Toshibas. I have spoken with Paul at Toshiba and I have a second level tech contact at Time Warner. I am sure its a combination of both the TV and the cable company but I am caught between. Since las thursday I have lost my channels four times - once while I was in the TV Guide and the other times switching channels between games.

I am going to contact Time Warner again - they seem to work with someone other than Paul at Toshiba. Oh well.
post #184 of 1334 Old 01-17-2006, 06:04 PM

Ran across vfr781rider's post quoted below. My problem is the opposite in that last night while wondering through digital channels looking for content, the sound just disappeared! Like vfr781rider, I just have a regular cable package through Time Warner. It has the HD feeds of some of the local channels unencrypted. (The QAM tuner was one of the reasons I went with Toshiba!) Anway, anyone else experience problems like these? As soo as I get done here I am going to to try the unplug trick.

On a slightly related note, anyone know if there are any maintenance mode back doors (I have a 72MX195)? Anyway of doing firmware updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr781rider View Post

OK, this has happened to me twice now in a weeks time. I have not seen any mention of something similar in the Toshiba forums. One of my inputs is to Comcast cable. We only get the cheap, basic package, but the cool thing is the local digitals and both INHDs come through as well as any On-Demand that our neighbors are watching Twice now, the digital stations have lost video. Just a black screen. Audio is fine. The non-digital stations are fine.

The first time this happened, I had to reset the TV to factory defaults and pull the power to the TV and then reprogram all of the settings again. A bit of a pain. Has this happened to anyone else? Any one know of a way I might be able to get the video back without a hard reset of the unit? I wonder if this is something that a firmware update might take care of? Hmmm... think I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

post #185 of 1334 Old 01-17-2006, 07:35 PM

Pulled the power plug for about 10-15 seconds, plugged back in, turned on, and sound on the digital channels! Weird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFool View Post

Ran across vfr781rider's post quoted below. My problem is the opposite in that last night while wondering through digital channels looking for content, the sound just disappeared! Like vfr781rider, I just have a regular cable package through Time Warner. It has the HD feeds of some of the local channels unencrypted. (The QAM tuner was one of the reasons I went with Toshiba!) Anway, anyone else experience problems like these? As soo as I get done here I am going to to try the unplug trick.

On a slightly related note, anyone know if there are any maintenance mode back doors (I have a 72MX195)? Anyway of doing firmware updates?

post #186 of 1334 Old 01-18-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr781rider View Post

OK, this has happened to me twice now in a weeks time. I have not seen any mention of something similar in the Toshiba forums. One of my inputs is to Comcast cable. We only get the cheap, basic package, but the cool thing is the local digitals and both INHDs come through as well as any On-Demand that our neighbors are watching Twice now, the digital stations have lost video. Just a black screen. Audio is fine. The non-digital stations are fine.

The first time this happened, I had to reset the TV to factory defaults and pull the power to the TV and then reprogram all of the settings again. A bit of a pain. Has this happened to anyone else? Any one know of a way I might be able to get the video back without a hard reset of the unit? I wonder if this is something that a firmware update might take care of? Hmmm... think I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say.

I had the exact same problem, too - except I was using an OTA. Like you, a power reset did the trick and digital signals came back strong as ever. Normally I'd be upset at this little problem but having been following the JVC DiLA threads and the enormous problems those unfortunate owners are experiencing I'm thanking my lucky stars I didn't buy a JVC 1080p.

If anyone else has a similar problem please share your experience - particularly if you call Toshiba regarding it.

Aside from the above, I've had no problems and would recommend this TV.
post #187 of 1334 Old 01-18-2006, 04:00 PM

As a new owner, i've found this group reassuring in some of my concerns about my new 56MX195..... Namely bulb life and fan noise. I do really love the PQ though. I was one of those holdouts for the new 1080p JVC HD-ILA... until i actually saw one... Actually i saw 2 at 2 different locations, and both had terrible color compared to all the other RP sets in the stores. Both had way too much blue, and i found no way to correct it from the normal menu of controls. No doubt that this could be fixed through serviceman mode, but i'm not buying a $3600 TV that needs fixing right out of the box! In both stores, even the old 720p JVC's looked better than the new 61FH96 (in color, not resolution) no matter how i adjusted it.

SO.... my eyes wandered to every other 56 incher i could find, and i fell in love with the Toshiba..... I like everything about it except for that dam fan noise!! I will soon be building an entertainment cabinet for it, and will line the back with sound absorbing (sonex-like) foam to keep the noise from reflecting back.

I seem to notice a lot of people's obsession with 1080p input compatablilty. What's up with this? Gee whiz people.... get over it!
There is no official spec for 1080p.
There is no 1080p content.
There will likely never be 1080p broadcast (req too much bandwidth).

I this vein..... i have the DirecTV HD-TiVo box that allows you to switch output modes between 480,720p, & 1080i. I noticed that when watching football whose source is 720p (Fox), the picture (motion) looked better when the box was set to 720p output. If the box was set to 1080i, motions and camera panning were slightly blurred. Likely artifacts of the conversion from 720p to 1080i in the box, and then the de-interlacing to 1080p in the TV. However, then when watching a 1080i movie, the resolution was clearly better setting the box to 1080i.

Another small quibble is that even with the color set to warm, there still seems to be a touch too much blue. I'd like to get ahold of a service manual to find out how to tweak that, or possibly have it professionally calibrated.

BTW.... i am in the Dynamic Contrast = OFF camp. For those that think everything looks washed out with it off..... i say that not EVERY scene has elements that go to black, and that what DC seems to do. Even if the shadows in a scene are supposed to be grey, DC will make them black..... not really what the director had intended.

Thats my 3 cents............ Thanks for listening....
Mirolab.
post #188 of 1334 Old 01-18-2006, 04:08 PM

On Monday I lost my cable channels 4 times in a couple of hours. Anyway, someone sent me a message who has the same problem and said Toshiba is coming out with a 1.3 version of their firmware/software which is supposed to fix the problem. Can only hope it works.
post #189 of 1334 Old 01-18-2006, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufan View Post

On Monday I lost my cable channels 4 times in a couple of hours. Anyway, someone sent me a message who has the same problem and said Toshiba is coming out with a 1.3 version of their firmware/software which is supposed to fix the problem. Can only hope it works.

Please advise if you talked to Tosh and they are sending this update.I just got my 1.2.8 card last week(second actually,first one sent was blank) This is the latest update I have seen in this forum.If they confirm to you I'm sure a lot of folks would like know.Thanks

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
post #190 of 1334 Old 01-19-2006, 06:55 AM

What's the deal with these firmware/software updates people talk about. Is this something you can download from Toshiba and via the Ethernet connection to the TV do an Update?
Does Toshiba send you a card (CF, SD, etc...) to plug in and it updates the set?
post #191 of 1334 Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGold View Post

What's the deal with these firmware/software updates people talk about. Is this something you can download from Toshiba and via the Ethernet connection to the TV do an Update?
Does Toshiba send you a card (CF, SD, etc...) to plug in and it updates the set?

You have to call Toshiba to open a case, and they'll send the update on an SD memory card that you load from the memory slot.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
post #192 of 1334 Old 01-19-2006, 01:18 PM

I've got my 56MX195 on a Direvtv HD-TiVo box via the HDMI port, and the picture is noticably brighter when the box is set to 720p output vs. 1080i. This is regardless of the source resolution. I can understand why a CRT might be brighter in progressive mode than interlace, but why on a fixed pixel display that is always 1080p??

Has anyone else observed this?

Mirolab............
post #193 of 1334 Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFool View Post

I had a similar problem with my system. Audio wouldn't work. I'd unplug it, and it would work again, but whenever i'd turn off the cable box, the volume wouldn't work when i'd turn it back on. I had comcast come out and swap out the box (HD tuner with DVR...motorola 61??). The new box fixed the problem. Also, I had previously been very disappointed with the picture quality of the SD signal. Very grainy, virtually unwatchable. The old box had a DVI port that i had to install an adaptor to use HDMI. The new box has an HDMI port, and the pic quality of SD improved dramatically.
post #194 of 1334 Old 01-20-2006, 05:38 PM

So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one. Those of you who have already purchased, what did you pay and where did you get it? Also, I'd like (ideally) to see one in person before buying. Any stores in the Boston area where I can see one? Or a similar model?
One last question - this will be my primary TV. How does 4:3 run of the mill digital cable look? Do the stretch modes do away with the "short and fat" effect seen going to 16:9 from 4:3? I'm not fond of black bars and would prefer to use strecth if it's not too bad looking...
post #195 of 1334 Old 01-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays View Post

So I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one. Those of you who have already purchased, what did you pay and where did you get it? Also, I'd like (ideally) to see one in person before buying. Any stores in the Boston area where I can see one? Or a similar model?
One last question - this will be my primary TV. How does 4:3 run of the mill digital cable look? Do the stretch modes do away with the "short and fat" effect seen going to 16:9 from 4:3? I'm not fond of black bars and would prefer to use strecth if it's not too bad looking...

I have the 62". Bought it at Cambridge Soundworks and got it the first week it was out for about 10% off list, maybe you can do better now. They should have one of the 195 models. Best Buy should also have one on their floor.

I use mine as the primary TV with CableCard. Depending on the source, SD channels are OK to pretty good. Some channels like HGTV are on the low end, but some come through very clear. I find that setting MPEG NOISE REDUCTION to HIGH improves SD.

Also, I run all my SD on TheaterWide 1 setting, which keeps the center of the screen more proportional and stretches the sides more - it doesn't distort the picture much and nowhere nearly as bad as the short/fat FULL mode, IMHO.

Good Luck.

post #196 of 1334 Old 01-20-2006, 09:16 PM

hey guys
I just got my new 56mx195 today and am in the process of setting it up. do you guys know if the TV upconverts all inputs to 1080P? Or is it only certain inputs.
thanks
post #197 of 1334 Old 01-21-2006, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabe03 View Post

hey guys
I just got my new 56mx195 today and am in the process of setting it up. do you guys know if the TV upconverts all inputs to 1080P? Or is it only certain inputs.
thanks

The TV will always upconvert signals to it's native resolution but for 480i/p it will add black bars to fill the screen.
post #198 of 1334 Old 01-21-2006, 08:40 AM

Am thinking of either the older 52HMX85 or the new 56HM195.

Using a Pioneer DVi59 DVD player
Using SD Shaw Cable (western Canada)
No OTA HD available in area
No Cable Card available in area
Mediocre choice for Cable HD programming, plus another 750CAD for a HD STB/PVR purchase if I go that route.

Based on the above, and with MSRP (Canadian Dollars) of 3500 for the 85 and 5000 for the 195 (both can be had for less), which would you suggest.

"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat."
-- Douglas Adams
post #199 of 1334 Old 01-21-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_BC View Post

Am thinking of either the older 52HMX85 or the new 56HM195.

Using a Pioneer DVi59 DVD player
Using SD Shaw Cable (western Canada)
No OTA HD available in area
No Cable Card available in area
Mediocre choice for Cable HD programming, plus another 750CAD for a HD STB/PVR purchase if I go that route.

Based on the above, and with MSRP (Canadian Dollars) of 3500 for the 85 and 5000 for the 195 (both can be had for less), which would you suggest.

Considering you don't gain anything with the integrated tuners I would opt for the 52HMX85. They are both 2005 model year TV's but the 85 is 720p and the 195 is 1080p.
post #200 of 1334 Old 01-21-2006, 11:29 AM

I've owned the 62mx195 for nearly 3 months and absolutely love it. The picture is amazing! Like anything else though, it is not without it's problems.

As others have experienced, using the cable card, I have had a few times when I lost audio and/or video on digital channels. Charter has an option on their customer support line to reset the "cable box" which fixed it one time. The other time I did a complete reset of the TV. When this occurs my steps are: 1) reset cable box, if still not working, 2) unplug - wait - plug in tv, if still not working 3) reset tv. Resetting is my last resort, because it resets everything!

Also, I have noticed mention of the Avia and other picture tuning DVD's. I used the THX setup that comes with many DVD's instead. Although not as detailed as Avia, it allows me to tweak audio as well as video and I am quite satisfied with the results. Has anyone else used this?

My current challenge is trying to get the email setup to work so I can schedule the Symbio. Has anyone gotten the email setup to work?

BTW, the Symbio appears to work fairly well - some occasional pixelation of the picture, but that may be the source, not the recording.
post #201 of 1334 Old 01-21-2006, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongowa View Post

I've owned the 62mx195 for nearly 3 months and absolutely love it. The pictureAlso, I have noticed mention of the Avia and other picture tuning DVD's. I used the THX setup that comes with many DVD's instead. Although not as detailed as Avia, it allows me to tweak audio as well as video and I am quite satisfied with the results. Has anyone else used this?

You can use the THX setup but the problem is the transfer may vary on DVD to DVD so you may not consistent results. It is better than nothing but not as good as Avia or DVE.
post #202 of 1334 Old 01-21-2006, 02:17 PM

Can anyone give me some hints on correcting that channel call letters for programmed channels? I have several channels that display incorrectly. For example, I tune to channel 47 and see the "AMC" logo on the broadcast, but the TV tells me that I'm tuned to CMTV.

Quite frankly, I don't even know where these labels came from. I can only guess that they came from the TV Guide On Screen data, but the TV Guide displays are correct. When I'm tuned to AMC and press the TV Guide button, it comes up on a row labeled AMC, and the highlighted program is what I'm watching.
post #203 of 1334 Old 01-21-2006, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

INHD has a check up at various times,today it was 6:00 am.I like it because I can use it when I like and it is real time conditions of your set.Contrast,brightness,color can be set using no major controls if you don't have access to them.5.1 Dolby sound as well.Check it out,its free.

post #204 of 1334 Old 01-22-2006, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Paul View Post

Can anyone give me some hints on correcting that channel call letters for programmed channels? I have several channels that display incorrectly. For example, I tune to channel 47 and see the "AMC" logo on the broadcast, but the TV tells me that I'm tuned to CMTV.

Quite frankly, I don't even know where these labels came from. I can only guess that they came from the TV Guide On Screen data, but the TV Guide displays are correct. When I'm tuned to AMC and press the TV Guide button, it comes up on a row labeled AMC, and the highlighted program is what I'm watching.

I believe it is sent using VBI but it is not from TVGOS. You might want to check with your cable provider.
post #205 of 1334 Old 01-23-2006, 08:42 AM

Wow am I glad I waited a few years to jump on the HD bus! 62MX195 is unbelievable. Off air tuner for HD working great! Fan noise a little disapointing, although low-power lamp seems to slow the RPM's. It was a tough choice between the Mitz and Tosh. In the end, I could not justify an extra 400 for the Mitz. btw the MP3 player is a nice add on, although it would be nice to run it in the background and watch TV at the same time. Does anyone know if Toshiba is going to offer firmware upgrades for this TV? I am sure there are a few bugs. I had to "reboot" mine once or twice.
post #206 of 1334 Old 01-23-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroLab View Post

As a new owner, i've found this group reassuring in some of my concerns about my new 56MX195..... Namely bulb life and fan noise. I do really love the PQ though. I was one of those holdouts for the new 1080p JVC HD-ILA... until i actually saw one... Actually i saw 2 at 2 different locations, and both had terrible color compared to all the other RP sets in the stores. Both had way too much blue, and i found no way to correct it from the normal menu of controls. No doubt that this could be fixed through serviceman mode, but i'm not buying a $3600 TV that needs fixing right out of the box! In both stores, even the old 720p JVC's looked better than the new 61FH96 (in color, not resolution) no matter how i adjusted it.

SO.... my eyes wandered to every other 56 incher i could find, and i fell in love with the Toshiba..... I like everything about it except for that dam fan noise!! I will soon be building an entertainment cabinet for it, and will line the back with sound absorbing (sonex-like) foam to keep the noise from reflecting back.

I seem to notice a lot of people's obsession with 1080p input compatablilty. What's up with this? Gee whiz people.... get over it!
There is no official spec for 1080p.
There is no 1080p content.
There will likely never be 1080p broadcast (req too much bandwidth).

I this vein..... i have the DirecTV HD-TiVo box that allows you to switch output modes between 480,720p, & 1080i. I noticed that when watching football whose source is 720p (Fox), the picture (motion) looked better when the box was set to 720p output. If the box was set to 1080i, motions and camera panning were slightly blurred. Likely artifacts of the conversion from 720p to 1080i in the box, and then the de-interlacing to 1080p in the TV. However, then when watching a 1080i movie, the resolution was clearly better setting the box to 1080i.

Another small quibble is that even with the color set to warm, there still seems to be a touch too much blue. I'd like to get ahold of a service manual to find out how to tweak that, or possibly have it professionally calibrated.

BTW.... i am in the Dynamic Contrast = OFF camp. For those that think everything looks washed out with it off..... i say that not EVERY scene has elements that go to black, and that what DC seems to do. Even if the shadows in a scene are supposed to be grey, DC will make them black..... not really what the director had intended.

Thats my 3 cents............ Thanks for listening....
Mirolab.

I have noticed the same "blue bias" with my set. Although its more noticeable on high def football games and darker shows/movies. I had read in Sound and Vision that this was happening on the HM195 models and was hoping that it would not be the case on the MX195's. I guess its not a huge deal if you don't concentrate on it, but having spent this much on a TV, I am going to concentrate on every little thing.
All in all, I am very pleased with the set and love watching HD on it. I also opted to leave the Dynamic Contrast off.
post #207 of 1334 Old 01-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Paul View Post

The channel info is provided by your cable company as part of the channel map, it's indepenent of the TVGOS channel info. Check your manual as it depends what type of input you have that determines how to reset the channel memory.

I.e. if your input is Cable, the auto channel programming process erases old info and builds the new list, while if the input is Antenna, the old info is not deleted - only new channels are added. The Channel Program menu option is where this is done. (Setup/Installation/Terrestrial).

I assume you're not using a Cable Card since channel programming is automatically done through the card and is disabled in the setup menu.

post #208 of 1334 Old 01-23-2006, 05:40 PM

So everyone wants to sell the 72MX for mid 4K. I saw on amazon, however, a link to Office Depot selling it for $3773. This seems weird to me, if I go to Office Depot's (or Tech Depot's) website, I see no mention of the TV.
I don't normally shop Amazon - is it normal for them to quote another online retailer, and if so an item that the other retailer doesn't even show on their website?
post #209 of 1334 Old 01-24-2006, 08:48 AM

I go to try and set the MPG filter and this option is greyed out. do I have to have a particular input source selected for this. Why is this option greyed out?
post #210 of 1334 Old 01-24-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfDays View Post

So everyone wants to sell the 72MX for mid 4K. I saw on amazon, however, a link to Office Depot selling it for $3773. This seems weird to me, if I go to Office Depot's (or Tech Depot's) website, I see no mention of the TV.
I don't normally shop Amazon - is it normal for them to quote another online retailer, and if so an item that the other retailer doesn't even show on their website?

That was for the HM series I believe...not the MX....
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page