The OFFICIAL Toshiba 56MX195/62MX195/72MX195 OWNER'S THREAD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1334 Old 10-30-2005, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought it was time to get this going...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1334 Old 10-30-2005, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
But since the VGA port is borked (no 1920z1080i/p) then whart is the real advantage of these outside of the piano black finish?
post #3 of 1334 Old 10-30-2005, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

But since the VGA port is borked (no 1920z1080i/p) then whart is the real advantage of these outside of the piano black finish?

Huh?
post #4 of 1334 Old 10-30-2005, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From the PDF on the MX tvs

Quote:
- - To use a PC, set the monitor output resolution on the
PC before connecting it to the TV. The following signals
can be displayed.
VGA: 640 × 480 @ 60Hz
SVGA: 800 × 600 @ 60Hz
XGA: 1024 × 768 @ 60Hz
Other formats or non-standard signals may not be
displayed correctly.
- To display the optimum picture, use the PC setting
feature. (see Using the PC setting feature on page 95).

Andy
aka CrashMaster
post #5 of 1334 Old 10-31-2005, 04:33 AM

I would like to hear more from people who are owners of the 72MX195. I have been considering this alongside the Mits 73827 and would like to see some pics from those that have the Tosh and what their opinions of it are.

I am not concerned about the VGA port as I do not plan hooking up to an HTPC.
post #6 of 1334 Old 10-31-2005, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMaster View Post

From the PDF on the MX tvs

Andy
aka CrashMaster

Well CrashMaster, almost all product manuals are written to show the bare minimum that the product supports, not what it really can do, so you have it take what they say in those manuals with a grain of salt. If your read the electrical safety blurb in the front of the manual you'll never plug in the set for fear of shocking your self
post #7 of 1334 Old 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM

I am about to purchase the 62" version. How do these perform with HTPCs hooked up.. What resolutions worked?!
post #8 of 1334 Old 10-31-2005, 10:21 PM

There was someone on another thread that had a few problem with this model
like the the typical fan noise... I think he's had it repaired
I think he had the 62"
Originally Posted by DHadyk
post #9 of 1334 Old 11-01-2005, 04:51 PM

I have had my 72MX195 since last Thursday and have watched quite a bit of HD and some movies through a Tosh SD6980. Both are connected through the HDMI inputs.

First off, as you would imagine a 72" screen is frigging humongous and damn is it nice. I have a dedicated theater room that's 23'x16'. There are two rows of seats. The front row is about 16' back from the front wall and the second row is on a 14" riser starting about 7' from the rear of the room.

Having a TV this size is great for my setup. The TV is about 11 to 12' away from my primary seating position and looks good from this distance. Another foot or so away would make it even better.

As for fan noise, yes there is certainly fan noise that you can hear when it is quiet. I guess it really depends on how annoyed you are about this when its quiet. Usually I like the volume up so I don't even notice it.

The HD picture quality is excellent as expected. Watching parts of Monsters Inc. the other night on ABD HD was amazing. You could actually resolve the individual strands of fur on Sully.

The picture quality through the SD6980 set to 1080i upconvert RGB-Expanded is quite good but I dont' have another upconverting DVD player to compare it to. I have watched a few moview on it and the shadow detail is pretty good.

One thing I would recommend is to immediately turn off Dynamic Contrast. Its Toshiba's auto iris for creating extremely high contrast ratios. It sucks in practice. You get scenese where the contrast shifts from scene to scene. Very annoying.

After turning the bulb down to econo mode and tweaking using DVE (just a little bit) I have found the TV to be what I expected.

I did see some macro-blocking during the Florida Gators game this weekend but I think it was the feed not the TV. During shows like Rome I don't see any macro-blocking or noise in dark scenes.

Overall I'm quite pleased with my purchase.
post #10 of 1334 Old 11-01-2005, 05:40 PM

PSLM...would love to see some pics of your setup and any of the unit in action. I am bouncing back and forth between this set and the Mits 73827.
post #11 of 1334 Old 11-02-2005, 08:42 AM

Alan, I'll try to get some pics but it doesn't look quite perfect yet. They didn't have the 72" stand yet so they had to send it with a 56" stand until the right one comes in so it looks a bit goofy sitting on the stand. Plus I'm having a heat pump installed today and tomorrow so I have junk in my HT room right now.

We don't have Mits up here in Canada so I can't do a comparison but I have looked at the Sony 60" SXRD and it compares very favourably except for the price where I got an enormous deal on the set and its significantly bigger than the Sony.
post #12 of 1334 Old 11-02-2005, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Just an FYI... I purchased my 62MX195 from Crutchfield. The stand was supposed to be delivered via UPS last Thursday to be followed by the delivery of the TV on Friday. Well, on Thursday when I checked UPS's website to track my stand, the message said "Merchandise destroyed in shipping"

So, I called Crutchfield to tell them. The rep confirmed that they had only shipped 12 of these stands so far and out of the 12, 10 have been damaged in shipping. So they decided to send the next stand to me via freight (the same carrier who will be delivering the TV) as they thought the problem was UPS. I rescheduled the delivery of my Tv for the following Friday (11/4)

The second stand was delivered yesterday (via freight), unfortunately I had to be at work and could not be home for the delivery. When I got home from work and opened the box, wouldn't you know it...? The glass shelves were broken. They weren't just "broken" either. It looked like someone had put the glass shelves in a blender on the crush setting. There was no covering/protection for the shelves at all. I don't know how they could possibly think that the glass would make it through shipping.

So, another call to Crutchfield. This time I'm told that because of all of the shipping problems with this stand, they are now out of stock so they back-ordered a stand for me however, the Crutchfield rep suggested I put the stand together so that the TV can be delivered as scheduled and that I call the stand company to send me the glass shelves.

I got the number of the manufacturer of the stand from the instruction manual and after a 5 minute phone call with them, the glass shelves were on their way. I should receive them next week, let's hope in one piece.

I sure hope that the TV's are packaged better than the stands..
post #13 of 1334 Old 11-02-2005, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal99 View Post

Just an FYI... I purchased my 62MX195 from Crutchfield. The stand was supposed to be delivered via UPS last Thursday to be followed by the delivery of the TV on Friday. Well, on Thursday when I checked UPS's website to track my stand, the message said "Merchandise destroyed in shipping"

So, I called Crutchfield to tell them. The rep confirmed that they had only shipped 12 of these stands so far and out of the 12, 10 have been damaged in shipping. So they decided to send the next stand to me via freight (the same carrier who will be delivering the TV) as they thought the problem was UPS. I rescheduled the delivery of my Tv for the following Friday (11/4)

The second stand was delivered yesterday (via freight), unfortunately I had to be at work and could not be home for the delivery. When I got home from work and opened the box, wouldn't you know it...? The glass shelves were broken. They weren't just "broken" either. It looked like someone had put the glass shelves in a blender on the crush setting. There was no covering/protection for the shelves at all. I don't know how they could possibly think that the glass would make it through shipping.

So, another call to Crutchfield. This time I'm told that because of all of the shipping problems with this stand, they are now out of stock so they back-ordered a stand for me however, the Crutchfield rep suggested I put the stand together so that the TV can be delivered as scheduled and that I call the stand company to send me the glass shelves.

I got the number of the manufacturer of the stand from the instruction manual and after a 5 minute phone call with them, the glass shelves were on their way. I should receive them next week, let's hope in one piece.

I sure hope that the TV's are packaged better than the stands..

Nice to get it resolved. Good customer service coould have been excellent/setting the bar highest had the Cruthfield rep called the stand company with you on the line to ensure that you were going to get satisfaction. As the stand dealer they ought to have taken care of this for you.

Still, nice to get it resolved

"I drank what?" - Socrates

post #14 of 1334 Old 11-03-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLM View Post

Alan, I'll try to get some pics but it doesn't look quite perfect yet. They didn't have the 72" stand yet so they had to send it with a 56" stand until the right one comes in so it looks a bit goofy sitting on the stand. Plus I'm having a heat pump installed today and tomorrow so I have junk in my HT room right now.

We don't have Mits up here in Canada so I can't do a comparison but I have looked at the Sony 60" SXRD and it compares very favourably except for the price where I got an enormous deal on the set and its significantly bigger than the Sony.

Hey...don't worry about what is around the TV as I am really just curious to see the set in action once you get is like you like it

When you have some pics that you like go ahead and either post them or PM them to me if you don't mind.

Thanks for your input on your experience so far.
post #15 of 1334 Old 11-03-2005, 08:49 AM

I'll PM you a pic of Monster's Inc I recorded the other night. I don't have time to do more right now. I over exposed the other ones so this the best of the lot for now.
post #16 of 1334 Old 11-03-2005, 08:56 AM

I have the 72HM195 and here are a couple of pictures I posted on the other thread. The first is from 34' and the 2nd is from 18'. I did not use the flash on the camera.

Both pictures are from Disco HD.

I have the factory stand and it's cheap particle board but it's got to be the best stand for the TV. The lines of the TV continue down into the stand and it looks like the speakers on the TV are actually part of the stand, creating a floating effect for the TV because you can't tell where the TV ends or where the stand begins.

The same freight guys who delivered my TV also delivered the stand and there was no shipping charge on the stand
LL
LL
post #17 of 1334 Old 11-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

I got my 62MX195 about 3 weeks ago and love it.

When it first arrived it was connected to my Comcast digital cable box (no HD) for about a week. The picture quality was decent after I enabled MPEG Noise Reduction (High), which seems to do a real good job at eliminating the fuzzyness around objects.

Upon installing the CableCard, the picture quality was better on non-HD channels than before. I believe this is due to not moving the signal through multiple conversions from the box to the TV anymore. The HD channels are amazing especially live sports. I've played with all the picture settings and have determined that I like the following:

Lamp at low power mode.
Dynamic Contrast ON.
Picture Quality Mode a modified Sports setting:
- Contrast reduced to 95
- Brightness increased to 75

Still playing with most of these since there are differences depending on the programming.

I did have a minor issue with the CableCard in which 2 channels were not decoding (ESPN-HD and TNT-HD). But a call to Comcast quickly fixed it with a strange procedure to reset the card. They had me shut the TV off, unplug it, hit the Power Button twice, plug it back in and then turn it on. Apparently this procedure was provided by Toshiba to reset the Cablecard slot. That actually worked and the 2 channels now work fine. A few days later, I started getting decoding problems on multiple channels, both HD and non HD, but not all channels, and thought it was a problem with the source from Comcast. The channels would have blocking randomly on the screen. I performed another Cablecard reset and it fixed the problem. My suspicion was I had been editing my TVGOS channel lineup and somehow may have confused the channel mapping to the cablecard. Anyway it's been fine for about 10 days since.

The area I'm still working on is the TVGOS. I've read the long post on the issues with this and I have been able to get it to start downloading the listing info, but still seeing some sporatic issues with consistency.

Overall I'm real satisified with this set. The fan noise is noticeable when the volume is low, but not intrusive at all. There is a constant low fan noise when the TV is off and I confirmed with Toshiba that this normal as it's the tuner that must be continuously on for TVGOS downloads.

John

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
post #18 of 1334 Old 11-04-2005, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know what a blinking yellow (every 1/2 second) means when my set is off? The Blue button is not lit at all. I checked the book and couldn't find anything on a blinking yellow by itself.
post #19 of 1334 Old 11-04-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Anyone know what a blinking yellow (every 1/2 second) means when my set is off? The Blue button is not lit at all. I checked the book and couldn't find anything on a blinking yellow by itself.

I just had my 56MX195 delivered today. No comments yet but the yellow light flashes (without the bluie light) when the set cooling down. Notice that the fan stops once the yellow light stops.

post #20 of 1334 Old 11-04-2005, 08:00 PM

Just purchased a 72HM95 from Best Buy!

I actually have to wait for it to arrive on Nov. 22nd. Same day as the XBOX360 is coming out. Let's just say that Nov. 22nd 2005 is Christmas day for me this year!

This is my first step into the HD world. My current T.V. is a 35 inch Mitsubishi tube. Being a newbie as I am, I have many questions. I hope that everyone will bare with me as I bring them up over the course of my time coming to this site. I would like to thank everyone in advance who will be helping me along the way.

So my first question is. Have I made a solid choice in my first HD purchase? Could I have done better or worse? My first and foremost option that I was looking for when lookin for an HDTV was size. I wanted the largest HDTV that I could find. I am fairly sure I found it with this set. I believe my next stage after this would have been to go projection?

The two biggest reasons for my purchase into the world of HD was for the XBOX360 and DVD's. Have I made a wise investment when it comes to these two selections? Could I have done better for the size? No interest in have gone any smaller than possibly a 60inch.

HDTV was a third reason to pick up HDTV and a lesser reason than to my first two reasons. I currently have digital cable with time warner cable. Now, is there anything I should know right now about wheather I will even be able to watch t.v. first day out of the box with this t.v. and my digital cable box? Also, if I want to get HDTV through my cable, what do I need to start doing now?

When it comes to HD DVD quality my current DVD player is a Samsung combo DVD/VCR player bought in July. I do not have the exact model number with me at the moment. I will get it soon. Will this work at all? If so, will I need to buy anything before it will work (Cables, Etc.)? Should I really be just going with something else? Anything that is a DVD/VCR combo hopefully.

Now for the XBOX360. I am getting the top model. Will this come straight out of the box and run on this t.v.? Is there anything else that I will be required to buy first? Would there have been a better purchase for this without having gone under 60inches?

I am sure there are more questions I did not ask yet. As you can tell I am a total newb and hope that you will bare with me. Thank you again - Clay
post #21 of 1334 Old 11-04-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I got my 62MX195 today (First HD tv for me). I connected my new DVD player (Panasonic DVD-S77S) and put in a widescreen DVD.

Ok, don't drop to the floor laughing now but... WHY are there bars on the screen? I thought by buying a 16x9 tv there wouldn't be any bars on the screen when watching a widescreen dvd? Or am I doing something wrong? I know I've set the DVD player up correctly and I have tried all of the different picture modes on the TV.

Please help me, I feel like a kid at my first day of school
post #22 of 1334 Old 11-04-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Ok, I got my 62MX195 today (First HD tv for me). I connected my new DVD player (Panasonic DVD-S77S) and put in a widescreen DVD.

Ok, don't drop to the floor laughing now but... WHY are there bars on the screen? I thought by buying a 16x9 tv there wouldn't be any bars on the screen when watching a widescreen dvd? Or am I doing something wrong? I know I've set the DVD player up correctly and I have tried all of the different picture modes on the TV.

Mine was delivered today. I feel like a kid in a candy store

post #23 of 1334 Old 11-04-2005, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks but I need an answer to my question
post #24 of 1334 Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I also have another question, where are you guys who own this TV putting your center speakers? There's not enough room on the top of the TV for the speaker and the OmniMount is too big for this set.... uh oh...
post #25 of 1334 Old 11-04-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:

It all depends on the aspect ratio the film was shot in. While some of the movies will use the entire screen (ratios like 1.96:1, 1.85:1, and 1.66:1), others will still display the black bars (ratios like 2.66:1, 2.55:1,and 2.35:1).

If the black bars both you, you can always use one of the picture modes (theatre 1, 2 or 3) to 'zoom in'.
post #26 of 1334 Old 11-05-2005, 10:55 AM

If anyone has any pictures showing 4:3 material both in normal mode and in a good stretch mode I would appreciate it. I am now leaning away from the Mits 73827 because of its horrible "normal" mode which cuts off part of the picture as they dont actually display in 4:3 but something a bit smaller.

I am curious as to anyone's experience with watching non 16:9 material on the 72mx195.
post #27 of 1334 Old 11-05-2005, 11:14 AM

How are the new DLP's for rainbows? I just bought a 52HMX85 and the rainbows which i never saw in the store are starting to bug me when watching dark scenes with some high contrast. Is the rainbow effect gone with the newer DLPs? Can these TV's do 1080p over component?
post #28 of 1334 Old 11-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyGuy View Post

How are the new DLP's for rainbows? I just bought a 52HMX85 and the rainbows which i never saw in the store are starting to bug me when watching dark scenes with some high contrast. Is the rainbow effect gone with the newer DLPs? Can these TV's do 1080p over component?

I haven't seen the rainbow effect...although it's been in my house for 24 hours

I do have a couple of quick observations: the fasn noise is less noticeable than the JVC 56G886 which I just replaced. Also, when the tv is turned on the time it takes for the screen to show a picture is much faster than the JVC. Both were aggravating me.

The PQ is better than I expected. However, I did an AVIA calibration and for some reason the settings were lost so I have to redo it. Also, at time the set displays the naturtal setting when I previously had it set at Theater 1. Theater 1 is to my eyes te best for day-to-day watching.

I'll post additional comments after more viewing time...

post #29 of 1334 Old 11-05-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:

I also have another question, where are you guys who own this TV putting your center speakers? There's not enough room on the top of the TV for the speaker and the OmniMount is too big for this set.... uh oh...

I run the Bose speaker system and the center speaker cube sits on the Component rack. That being said, for the heck of it I moved the center speaker cube out 14 feet (I sit 18' from the TV) when I was watching a movie last week. Can't believe how great it worked!!!

Now I need to see if I can get the center speaker situated on/under my coffee table permanently. Voices during moves are so clear with the speaker so close. But I had to remember to turn the volume on the center channel way do so it would not drown out the other channels.
post #30 of 1334 Old 11-05-2005, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjoe View Post

I run the Bose speaker system and the center speaker cube sits on the Component rack. That being said, for the heck of it I moved the center speaker cube out 14 feet (I sit 18' from the TV) when I was watching a movie last week. Can't believe how great it worked!!!

Now I need to see if I can get the center speaker situated on/under my coffee table permanently. Voices during moves are so clear with the speaker so close. But I had to remember to turn the volume on the center channel way do so it would not drown out the other channels.

I have the center speaker located below the tv on the stand shelf. Actually, it sits on top of the AV receiver. Sound from the speaker is great...

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page