Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 242 Old 12-02-2005, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm curious as to the percentages of those with lamp failures or ones that have not had a problem. Please indicate the hours on your lamp for those of you who have had a failure or your current hours for ones that have not. Mine failed at approximately 9 months and 2945 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 242 Old 12-02-2005, 11:04 AM

Thank you for starting this poll Kdogg. I cannot vote yet because I don't have my tv yet. But this will be informative. bump for more results.
post #3 of 242 Old 12-03-2005, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bumping up for those who missed this. I know there are at least 6 of us with failures but I would also like to hear from all HM/HMX owners to get an idea of the range of this problem or if it is an isolated incident with a few sets.
post #4 of 242 Old 12-03-2005, 12:49 PM

52HM84

Mine blew around 2300 hours.

It was always connected to a UPS and on low power mode.
I was always carefull not to start up the TV if it was not shutdown for more than 45 minutes to 1 hour.
post #5 of 242 Old 12-03-2005, 02:00 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope everyone sees it so that we can get some real world results.
post #6 of 242 Old 12-03-2005, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So we have a total of eight people who have an HM/HMX TV.
post #7 of 242 Old 12-03-2005, 06:46 PM

C'mon guys. Not too long ago it seemed there were alot of lamp failure posts in the offical hm/hmx forum. Why is the bar graph not showing up anymore???

Bump
post #8 of 242 Old 12-04-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auditech View Post

C'mon guys. Not too long ago it seemed there were alot of lamp failure posts in the offical hm/hmx forum. Why is the bar graph not showing up anymore???

Bump

Not to mention that NO ONE is stepping up to say, 'Oh, mine working fine after 5000 hours.'
post #9 of 242 Old 12-04-2005, 09:16 PM

that's exactly right. I don't think there is a Toshiba DLP out there that made it 5,000 hours on the oe bulb. At this point, if someone told me that they got that out of a bulb in a Toshiba, I wouldn't believe them anyway.
post #10 of 242 Old 12-04-2005, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Welcome folks to the biggest ripp-off in Video history that is defended by the usual suspect Industry Plants here at the forum--the fantastic lamp fiasco! All of you people who are shelling out hard earned cash on replacement lamps EVEN after babying their sets while red neck Wal-Mart peons who buy Direct-view CRT pieces of junk can run their TVs 24/7 please tell me how much they love this great advancement!

Maybe you could shell out even more for super duper warranties to keep you from shelling out for the lamps. While the Video Display manufacturers keep laughing while they're counting YOUR money just ask yourself who is the stupid person in this picture.

Never thought Direct-view, Flat Panel LCD, or Plasma could look so attractive did you?
post #11 of 242 Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 AM

bump
post #12 of 242 Old 12-05-2005, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Welcome folks to the biggest ripp-off in Video history that is defended by the usual suspect Industry Plants here at the forum--the fantastic lamp fiasco! All of you people who are shelling out hard earned cash on replacement lamps EVEN after babying their sets while red neck Wal-Mart peons who buy Direct-view CRT pieces of junk can run their TVs 24/7 please tell me how much they love this great advancement!

Maybe you could shell out even more for super duper warranties to keep you from shelling out for the lamps. While the Video Display manufacturers keep laughing while they're counting YOUR money just ask yourself who is the stupid person in this picture.

Never thought Direct-view, Flat Panel LCD, or Plasma could look so attractive did you?

This post is kind of off topic but I still don't regret my decision and love the PQ on my TV. My failure is still under warranty and my only complaint is Toshiba not having adequate stock of the lamps to handle the warranty failures in a timely fashion. LCD's and plasma's will have the same issues and I'm sure when they do fail it will cost more than $200 to replace.

I would like to keep the comments related to the failure of lamps and not a DLP bashing thread. Feel free to start your own if you desire to do so.
post #13 of 242 Old 12-05-2005, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I don't mean to bash DLP--I only mean to bash the cost of replacement lamps and how long they last--the Industry can do alot better--if they persist in NOT doing better or cheaper they WILL pay the price in market share.
post #14 of 242 Old 12-05-2005, 06:26 PM

The only problem with this thread is that plenty of DLP owners have read it but not voted or shared their bulb life experience. That was the original intention. Hopefully there will be more informative posts forthcoming.

I too hate the fact that I bought a tv at a great price only to have to spend a small fortune in bulbs over the next several years.
post #15 of 242 Old 12-06-2005, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only problem with this thread is that plenty of DLP owners have read it but not voted or shared their bulb life experience. That was the original intention. Hopefully there will be more informative posts forthcoming.

Exactly, I would hope to hear from all owners and not just the ones that have had failure.
post #16 of 242 Old 12-07-2005, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was hoping to get a better response on this poll from all the Toshiba owners. Right now it's not looking that great with 45% of the owners having failure. Hopefully more people will respond to get an accurate picture. Just an update for those who have had failures and are waiting on replacements. I called Toshiba today and it looks like my replacement (which I requested last Friday) finally came in to Toshiba Monday and shipped out yesterday 2nd Day FedEx and should be here tomorrow. That's still almost a week but better than another owner of a 95 set who has been waiting since Thanksgiving.
post #17 of 242 Old 12-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

My 52HMX84 has around 250 hours or so and everything is running fine. Very pleased so far.......
post #18 of 242 Old 12-08-2005, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it's encouraging that we have at least two people that have more than 3000 hours on their lamp and it's still working. If you don't mind I would like to know how many hours you currently have on the lamp so we can find out the longest that they have lasted.
post #19 of 242 Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I have about 900 hours on my 52HM84.

The bulb still works, but as near as I can tell the brightness/contrast is starting to fade quickly.

Maybe its just my imagination, but thats the way I see it.

I work out of my house, and I would love to run my TV all day and into the night..

As it stands, becasue of all the reports of lamp failure, I do not even turn the set on during the day anymore. I simply am not willing to replace the bulb every 6 months.

Right about now I am totally tempted to sell this set and get something different..
post #20 of 242 Old 12-08-2005, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My replacement lamp arrived today from Toshiba. The part is warranted for 180 days so I guess if your lamp fails within the one year period you have another six months with your replacement or a maximum of a year and a half including your one year warranty.
post #21 of 242 Old 12-08-2005, 04:31 PM

man, I am definately getting the EW that BB offers. No doubt about it.
post #22 of 242 Old 12-16-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Right on Artwood

They should do like the inkjet printer industries give the printers away so that they can sell you their over priced ink cartridges.
Give me the TV for free and I'll buy your over priced and over rated lamps for the next 10 years.
post #23 of 242 Old 12-16-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I don't mean to bash DLP--I only mean to bash the cost of replacement lamps and how long they last--the Industry can do alot better--if they persist in NOT doing better or cheaper they WILL pay the price in market share.

Or a few lawyers will get extremely wealthy from the class action suit!
post #24 of 242 Old 12-16-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:

I too hate the fact that I bought a tv at a great price only to have to spend a small fortune in bulbs over the next several years.

Hard to post your lamp life if you don't know how to check lamp hours.
Or don't know how to get into the service menu!

Until you have had a lamp failure most people won't think to even check.
Once your lamp has failed you have no way to check until you get the new lamp
and I think the counter gets reset when u replace it.
post #25 of 242 Old 12-16-2005, 10:36 AM

How do you get into the service menu on a 46HM95? I don't believe it's the same process as the HM84 sets.
post #26 of 242 Old 12-16-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog044 View Post

I was hoping to get a better response on this poll from all the Toshiba owners. Right now it's not looking that great with 45% of the owners having failure. Hopefully more people will respond to get an accurate picture. Just an update for those who have had failures and are waiting on replacements. I called Toshiba today and it looks like my replacement (which I requested last Friday) finally came in to Toshiba Monday and shipped out yesterday 2nd Day FedEx and should be here tomorrow. That's still almost a week but better than another owner of a 95 set who has been waiting since Thanksgiving.

Well Kdog you are the lucky one for sure.

Mine is the 62HM95 that went out on thanksgiving day finally got my new(refurbished) lamp yesterday and am back up running in only 23 days..
I'm sure Toshiba will add a month on to my 1 year factory warranty
post #27 of 242 Old 12-16-2005, 10:43 AM

Yes I did just find this thread!
post #28 of 242 Old 12-16-2005, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODLP4ME View Post

Hard to post your lamp life if you don't know how to check lamp hours.
Or don't know how to get into the service menu!

Until you have had a lamp failure most people won't think to even check.
Once your lamp has failed you have no way to check until you get the new lamp
and I think the counter gets reset when u replace it.

Just an FYI the lamp hours DO NOT get reset when you replace it, at least not with the 94's. As far as the process it must be different with the 95's. From what I understand you can get into the service mode with the same process but pressing "9" doesn't access the diagnostics page which displays the hours. Perhaps they changed the digit (i.e.1-8). If someone wants to try different combinations maybe that can figure it out. Just don't mess with the up or down volume keys. You may also want to scroll through the service mode and write down all the settings for the different entries, just in case. . This is accomplished by using up (forwards through options) and down (reverses through options) channel keys to scroll through the different options listed below. Some of these may or may not be the same in the 95's.

RCUT R CUT OFF
GCUT G CUTOFF
BCUT B CUT OFF
GDRV G DRIVE
BDRV B DRIVE
BRTC BRIGHT CENTER
SCNT SUB CONTRAST FOR TV
COLC COLOR CENTER
UVTT BASE BAND TINT
CNTX SUB CONTRAST MAX
HPOS H-POSITION (PAL/DFS)
HPOS(PJ ONLY) 56P CONVERGENCE OSD PATTERN HPOS
VPOS(PJ ONLY) 56P CONVERGENCE OSD PATTERN VPOS
CWDH COLOR WHEEL DELAY (HIGH)
CWDL COLOR WHEEL DELAY (LOW)
DMDB DMD BIAS
OPT1 TV SET OPTION
OPT2 TV SET OPTION
TVOP TV OPTION
PLLW0 PLL WAIT TIME
PLLW1 PLL WAIT TIME
PLLW2 PLL WAIT TIME
PLLW3 PLL WAIT TIME
PLLW4 PLL WAIT TIME
PLLW5 PLL WAIT TIME
V01 VOLUME (DATA)
V25 VOLUME (DATA)
V50 VOLUME (DATA)
V75 VOLUME (DATA)
V100 VOLUME (DATA)
MODH MODUS DATA HIGH
MODL MODUS DATA LOW
PRES FMAM PRESCALE
SCTH VOLUME SCART OPTION HIGH
SCTL VOLUME SCART OPTION LOW

Here is the procedure for the 94's.

With TV turned on:

1. Press "mute" on the remote - 1/2 mute appears on the screen
2. Press "mute" on the remote again - mute appears on the screen
3. Press "mute" on the remote and hold the mute button -
4. Press the "Menu" button on the TV's front panel. "S" will appear in the upper right corner of the screen.
5. Press the "Menu" button a second time and the "S" will disappear. On the left side of the screen you will see "RCUT" followed by two numbers.
You are now in the service mode (this is where you can scroll through the options using the up and down channel keys shown above).
6. Press "9" on the remote and you will access the diagnostics page. In the right hand corner is the lamp time in hours.
7. Press "power" button on remote to exit the menu and power off the TV.

CAUTION: Do not use the up and down volume keys on the remote in this menu as it can alter the data and can be dangerous.
post #29 of 242 Old 12-16-2005, 11:40 AM

I as well just found this thread thanks to kdog044's mention of it today in the official owner's thread. This poll/thread could be very informative. I've only had my set for 2 months so that's not much help here but I voted anyway. I'm very interested in the results because my wife stays home with the kids and the TV is on a lot. And of course I was only expecting to replace bulbs every 2-3 yrs I could easily rack up 2000+ hours/yr since that's only 5.5 hours/day...damn, this could be an annual expense! And that's just talking about the $$$, not to mention potential days with no TV.

As a 95 owner I won't be able to contribute much more until we know how to enter the diagnostics menu, and I'm not inclined to be adventerous with my first and only HDTV.
post #30 of 242 Old 12-19-2005, 01:16 PM

Mine went after only 10 weeks and about 400 hours (46HM95). My pre-purchase research indicated that 2000 hours was pretty typical, so I got an EW that covers lamp replacement - but only up to one per year.

If they continue to blow every 10 weeks, I would have to spend more than the cost of the set every year just in lamps - even with the EW

I knew the DLP's had a higher cost of ownership than some of the other technologies, but this is just crazy. I sure hope they can make some improvements to the lamps (either much longer life - or much lower cost).

BTW - is there a reason they can't "reload" the old lamp modules with new bulbs instead of replacing the whole thing?? (Seems like that would bring the cost down to like maybe $100)
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page