-->The Official JVC - 1080p HD-ILA - HD-XXFH96 Owners Thread<-- - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 2403 Old 01-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabzinrah View Post

The wavy edge does not show any broken line segments when I play the the 1080 version of Robotica with the desktop set to either 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

My local B&M is suppose to have a 61FH96 on the floor on
Weds., Jan 4. They've assured me that I can connect my PC to a HDMI
port and run any videos I choose, so I will be very interested in seeing if
their floor sample also has this problem.

Thanks for helping me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 2403 Old 01-02-2006, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH55 View Post

In fact if you read the specs carefully on the nvidia 7800 card it implies that the ONLY way to get 1080p out of the card is to use the purevideo software. Quote from the Press Release:

"A home theater PC outfitted with a GeForce 7800 GTX GPU featuring NVIDIA PureVideo hardware and software technology offers superb picture clarity and precise, vivid colors across all high-definition (HD) ATSC video formats.

The highest quality 1080p HD-output is made possible....." (emphasis added)

That may be why your results showed actual throughput as 1080i rather than the JVC downgrading the input. If I didn't have so much football to watch I'd download the trial right now.

Well I'm now running the PureVideo 30-day trial. Just spent 20min fooling with Powerstrip to again try to get the 1080P res to work, that is 60Hz. No go. Keeps reverting back to 30Hz. Again, this is a purely academic exercise as the 1080i readability is excellent.

I need a "stress test" to see what benefits the PureVideo is buying me. That way I can uninstall and reinstall it as an A/B. You'd think Nvidia would suggest/provide one

CabZinRah
post #603 of 2403 Old 01-02-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Well I'm now running the PureVideo 30-day trial. Just spent 20min fooling with Powerstrip to again try to get the 1080P res to work, that is 60Hz. No go. Keeps reverting back to 30Hz. Again, this is a purely academic exercise as the 1080i readability is excellent.

I need a "stress test" to see what benefits the PureVideo is buying me. That way I can uninstall and reinstall it as an A/B. You'd think Nvidia would suggest/provide one

Have you tried changing the resolution to one of the preset 1080p modes using powerstrip?
post #604 of 2403 Old 01-02-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH55 View Post

Have you tried changing the resolution to one of the preset 1080p modes using powerstrip?

That is exactly how I test 1080p.

CabZinRah
post #605 of 2403 Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:

That is exactly how I test 1080p.

Sorry, I thought from your earliest posts that you were using the nvidia menu to set resolution. Sounds ike we have similar setups and I was just trying to avoid duplicating efforts. Especially until I get an STB with a HDMI output (next saturday) and a switch (sometime after the 11th). Crawling behind the tv and swapping cables reduces my motivation to experiment.
post #606 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I D/L PureVideo Trial, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I executed the
.exe archive and it dumped the files in my destination folder, but there
was no 'setup.exe' as per the instructions. I ran 'nstantMedia.exe', but all it gave me
was a graphic saying that it scanned and found 0 files. I never got the control
panel.
Did you get the control panel?
post #607 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 09:20 AM

I was thinking of picking up a Harmony remote for my 61FH96. I read somewhere that there was not a discrete code to swith to digital input 2. Is this correct? The input switching is too SLOOOOWW and hoped the Harmony would be a solution.
post #608 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandRobb View Post

I'm trying to decide between the 61" and 70". I don't have a width issue, so either will work in my space. My seating distance from where my eyes are to the back wall is just under 13'. Then you have to allow for the width of the TV, which varies from 61 to the 70, but let's say the I have at least 11'. Is that sufficient for the 70? My wife thinks we are too close for the 70, so I am interested in hearing from people with experience. I have yet to see one in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Robb

I just thought I'd let you know, there is a 56" one on display at the Dublin Video Only. That shouldn't be too far from you. I'm not sure from your post though if you haven't seen one at all, or if you just haven't seen a 70", so that may not help you.
post #609 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 09:31 AM

Finally got the PC input over HDMI with my 61". After trying unsuccessfully with my ATI x800 XT, I picked up a 6600 GT and it worked perfectly. Here are some pictures I took while playing "Colin Mcrae Rally 2005" and "Call of Duty 2". Both in game resolutions were set to 1920x1080. Some of the car pictures look a little blurry because my camera could not catch a good enough shot while the car was moving quickly.

The only drawback is this 6600GT card ran a little choppy on COD2 while in that resolution. I will be changing the 6600GT to 7800GT in the near future, that should improve things.
post #610 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbentle View Post

I just thought I'd let you know, there is a 56" one on display at the Dublin Video Only. That shouldn't be too far from you. I'm not sure from your post though if you haven't seen one at all, or if you just haven't seen a 70", so that may not help you.

I have 61" at 7', and I could actually go bigger cause at a 34.5 degree
viewing angle, I'm a little off of the ideal 36 degree. At 11', you definitely
need 70" or bigger.
post #611 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intexltd View Post

Am I the only one with a DOA set?
Both blotches on the screen, and HDMI that cxan not be resurrected by resetting.
Any others?

I had the smears between the screens, the hdmi once in a blue moon dieing when i switched inputs and went back to hdmi, and some dead pixels/semi dead (dead on certain colors).

All issues were verified by a tech last week, TVA is replacing the TV.

Note that aside from the HDMI the other issues were minor, my wife didn't notice/care, but for the money I want it perfect
post #612 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

tametz; Do you have a DVD test disc?
If so, put up a crosshatch pattern and take a screen shot of that. If not put up a text channel, turn the color down, then take a shot.

Anything else is confusing and doesn't really tell where the problem is.

Here are some shots - I can't get an exact picture with my camera. The text shows it pretty good. The lightsaber shot shows how it looks on a larger scale - red on the top, green on the bottom. Looks like I will be making a trip to the service menu - from what I gather, I can move the red down from there....

< I did turn the color all the way down for the last 2 shots>
thanks in advance - Tom

ps- nice Call of Duty shots - also, given my experience and others - looks like its a good idea to stay away from ATI huh?
LL
LL
LL
post #613 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbentle View Post

Thanks for the tip. I have not seen a 1080P JVC at all, so I will stop by Video Only this weekend.

Thanks all for the tips on seating distance. Now it is just a matter of convincing my wife that we "need" the 70".

Robb
post #614 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandRobb View Post

I'm trying to decide between the 61" and 70". I don't have a width issue, so either will work in my space. My seating distance from where my eyes are to the back wall is just under 13'. Then you have to allow for the width of the TV, which varies from 61 to the 70, but let's say the I have at least 11'. Is that sufficient for the 70? My wife thinks we are too close for the 70, so I am interested in hearing from people with experience. I have yet to see one in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Robb

This may not agree with what others have said, but getting a 70" may put you in SD hell - when you have to watch it, which is much of the time for my wife.

Our dimensions match yours exactly, and the 56" is just fine for me. With a 1080i feed you will be OK with a 70", but I gather lots of the time you will be viewing SD or DVD's - and you get to a point where you just cant pull the couch back further. I wish they had like a 1/2 setting for SD - so you could make an SD screen smaller - because blown up, it just looks bad (no fault of the JVC).

I figure for "movie night", we can just pull the couch forward...but for DVD's this isn't really needed....just an opinion here - dont want you getin' in trouble with your wife!
post #615 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren3250 View Post

I was thinking of picking up a Harmony remote for my 61FH96. I read somewhere that there was not a discrete code to swith to digital input 2. Is this correct? The input switching is too SLOOOOWW and hoped the Harmony would be a solution.

Have you tried this:

Press input on the remote
When the display shows the inputs, then press channel UP

It'll go to HDMI2 instead of Video 1 as long as you start at TV

You can use the Channel Up or Down to move between video inputs once you choose video from the remote and have the display on the screen.

John
post #616 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:

I am sure there is a discrete code for the 2nd HDMI input. Logitech just doesn't have it in their system yet. When you set up the remote, just set both devices to use "Digital In". If you not on an HDMI input, and you send "Digital In, it goes to HDMI-1. If you are on HDMI-1 and you send "Digital In", it switches to HDMI-2. Then back to HDMI-1 if you are on HDMI-2.

So, for my setup this works fine. My STB is on HDMI-1 which I use the most, then when I swtch to DVD, it switches to HDMI-2, and when I go back to the STB, it switches back to HDMI-1.

If you want to go from a non-HDMI input to HDMI-2, then you just hit the "Watch" command twice. The first time it will turn on the devices and switch to HDMI-1, then on the second click, it will switch to HDMI-2.

Hopefully, Logitech will update their system soon, but this works for me right now.
post #617 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post

I have 61" at 7', and I could actually go bigger cause at a 34.5 degree
viewing angle, I'm a little off of the ideal 36 degree. At 11', you definitely
need 70" or bigger.

Not everyone likes the "ideal" of a 36 degree viewing angle, so be sure to pick what feels right for you. Personally, I don't like it. I have a 61" at about 13' and it is the biggest I would like to go. If I go bigger, I feel like my eyes have to work to hard to see the whole screen. I tested with a front projector to see what size felt right for me.

Also, the SD concern is definitely an issue, especially with the wives. My wife watches 90% SD still, so if it didn't look watchable, she would be pissed
post #618 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopfer View Post

Not everyone likes the "ideal" if a 36 degree viewing angle, so be sure to pick what feels right for you. Personally, I don't like it. I have a 61" at about 13' and it is the biggest I would like to go. If I go bigger, I feel like my eyes have to work to hard to see the whole screen. I tested with a front projector to see what size felt right for me.

Also, the SD concern is definitely an issue, especially with the wives. My wife watches 90% SD still, so if it didn't look watchable, she would be pissed

Thanks for bringing up the SD issue. We have DirecTV and are using it now on a JVC 32" LCD in the bedroom. SD is fine there (HD is way better), but I know moving to 61" let alone 70" will bring out the problems in all their glory. It is a shame that broadcast in HD is still lagging for many channels and that even for some of the ones that do, they compress the signal so much to get additional channels that it still doesn't look great. Unfortunately you are right and it still is a consideration. I am buying for the future, but you still have to think about it.

Robb
post #619 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 04:15 PM

I will add that I also have DirecTV and my wife is very happy with SD on our 61" JVC. Before I returned my 62" Mits, she was very unhappy. SD was horrible on it.
post #620 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 04:42 PM

much better!

went to the service menu and tweaked the convergence you have to get to the service menu and select 9, even though there are only 3 options. READ videobruce's posts linked on the page prior to this one..all the .jpg's.

The 720p JVC test pattern looked pretty weak, but the new 1080i sets have a better test pattern - got it all tweaked in, except the blue - this varied the most across the set, makes sense given it bounces on a mirror an extra time. Caz posted some text with red issues - I would recomend tweaking. The picture looks even better now - very happy!

Here is a post of the fixed text and the old text - as well as the worst place on the screen for blue....will post the test pattern separately. The PC input now looks very good - esp throughout the middle of the screen, maybe thats why JVC stuck only with 10x7 resolution on the PC input! DLP probably still has a better PC input because of these convergence issues - no convergence with a colorwheel (I would guess).
LL
LL
LL
post #621 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 04:47 PM

Here is the 1080p set's convergence test pattern
...also included a pic of my youngest getting a TV tan - the stand is a Benno from Ikea, under a hundred in the states (going cheap because we are re-doing the living room next year). I did upgrade the wooden knobs though. Its a tad high, but this is good because we have a step-up to the kitchen, you can view better from the half wall. Now, about that center channel....does it look that bad sitting on the stand?
LL
LL
post #622 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

This post is specifically related to the HD-PxxR1U models,
but I'm sure the info is relevant to the consumer models as well:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6840145
post #623 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by johnw248 View Post

I wonder if the "light leak" is around the cable card area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grider View Post

Hmmm... there's a thought. Cablecard is not used in Canada so there's nothing in that slot... just a hole. I'll cover it and see what happens tomorrrow.

Well I put a piece of electrical tape over the slot that the cablecard goes into. Prior to that my HDMI ports were getting shut down each day by daylight (TV is infront of a window). So far since the electrical tape was applied the HDMI ports have not been shut down.
post #624 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:

I bought a Harmony 360 for use with my 56FH96 and it works quite well. No there is no discrete code (yet) for Dig2, however there are a couple of neat features with regard to input switching:

1) All inputs (except Dig2) are addressable so your activity macro (eg. Watch Satellite) can take you straight there.
2) There is a next input code. So you could write a little macro to go to Dig1 then next input.
3) There's an input toggle so you can press the same button repeatedly to switch inputs (still slow though).
post #625 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tametz View Post

........I wish they had like a 1/2 setting for SD - so you could make an SD screen smaller - because blown up, it just looks bad (no fault of the JVC).

How about using PIP with nothing in the second window. SD looks MUCH better in the little video window when I'm using my satellite guide.
post #626 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopfer View Post

Not everyone likes the "ideal" if a 36 degree viewing angle, so be sure to pick what feels right for you. Personally, I don't like it. I have a 61" at about 13' and it is the biggest I would like to go. If I go bigger, I feel like my eyes have to work to hard to see the whole screen. I tested with a front projector to see what size felt right for me.

I'm 12' to 13' from my 56" and it's perfect for me. I don't want it bigger.... each to there own.
post #627 of 2403 Old 01-03-2006, 08:24 PM

well they came and dropped off my replacement set about 30min ago... just finished wiring it up.... plugged it in... D.O.A.

not really sure what to think right now, other then I am not very happy. The power light and bulb light blick alternating back and forth, the book says either the fan is stuck or it had a unexpected rise in temp... since I just put power to it, I don't think its a heat issue...
post #628 of 2403 Old 01-04-2006, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj001 View Post

well they came and dropped off my replacement set about 30min ago... just finished wiring it up.... plugged it in... D.O.A.

not really sure what to think right now, other then I am not very happy. The power light and bulb light blick alternating back and forth, the book says either the fan is stuck or it had a unexpected rise in temp... since I just put power to it, I don't think its a heat issue...

I had EXACT same condition with my first TV... blinking red and blue light about 15 seconds after power up. Definitely not a heat issue. JVC tech support did a little trouble shooting and then said it needed to be serviced. I exchanged for a new set. The tech did speculate it was either a faulty bulb or faulty sensor.
post #629 of 2403 Old 01-04-2006, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 173
bcj001

Are you familiar with the the issue of having light hit a HDMI sensor that shuts off the TV?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #630 of 2403 Old 01-04-2006, 05:20 AM

Posted this in the Service Adjustment/Settings thread as well:

OK, I have detected some annoying convergence issues... I don't have a good enough camera to post pics, but basically it is evident in large white text as red/green top/bottom outlines. I am waiting to talk to my tech guy later today before attempting adjustment on my own, as I am still under 30 days on the set and can exchange it.

As I understand it (having never attempted RP adjustments), the process seems simple enough. Use my test pattern and write down factory RGB settings before I alter anything, only alter the s0001-0003 for the color drives, and hit mute to save.

I have, however, detected another issue, and was hoping for some help on this one.

I am not sure how to properly identify it, but it seems to be an issue with the panel itself. In superbright, washed out whites/greys, when the background is more or less solid and moving, I can see vertical bands approximately 1inch apart extending from top to bottom on the panel, that appear like the folds in a curtain hanging down. As the image moves across the panel, the bands are static and unchanging. Could these be related to the convergence error I already identified? Or is this a defective panel?

I have never seen anything similar, so I have nothing for comparison... Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page