-->The Official JVC - 1080p HD-ILA - HD-XXFH96 Owners Thread<-- - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2403 Old 01-12-2006, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was told by my cable company that if i went with a cable card, i could no longer purchase pay per view. is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2403 Old 01-12-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intowishin View Post

i was told by my cable company that if i went with a cable card, i could no longer purchase pay per view. is this true?

As of now, most interactive content is NOT available via cable card. Also. JVC will not display analogs via the digi input with a card inserted. Thus the "Digital" coax input in addition to the "VF/UHF 75ohm" input. The digi is for the card, the 75ohm for the analogs (requires a good 2-way splitter).

To access interactive cable content (on demand/payperview/guide) you would need a 3rd line running to a STB and then input via HDMI or Component to your JVC.

I got my Comcast cable card today (after they managed to kill my STB DVR :/ ) It DOES improve digi SD content, but here is the catch... it seems to have the same signal switching delay as when you switch inputs! UGH..

As for "spots/smudges" on the panel, my replacement set has at least 3 3/4" - 1" visible defects (noticeable with motion on bright backdrops)... I immediately called my VO to swap this one out as well this morning. If you are within your 30days, I would immediately exchange that set.

This goes for the rest of you with Color splotches, color banding, alignment and convergence issues, pincushion problems, dead inputs, etc.
RMA those sets!

JVC NEEDS to see a spate of returns NOW if indeed there is a QC problem with this run of the FH96 series, so whatever the problem is it can be corrected before the FNs start tome off the line. My real concern now is that the seeming RUSH to push the new FN (within 2 quarters of the launch of the FH?>>?) may indicate a more serious quality issue with the optics rather than a production glitch...
post #813 of 2403 Old 01-12-2006, 10:31 PM

sounds like there really isn't any reason to go with cablecard then. why would anyone choose to go that way rather than a STB?

i'll be RMA'ing mine tomorrow. i don't want to mess with this anymore. i do have a question, though. does the 30 days start over with the replacement tv? if not, i'm right at my 30 days, so if i get another bad set, i may be screwed. thanks.
post #814 of 2403 Old 01-12-2006, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intowishin View Post

sounds like there really isn't any reason to go with cablecard then. why would anyone choose to go that way rather than a STB?

I went with the cable card because the quality is higher, I don't need two way and don't buy pay per view. It's one less remote. I don't find the channel change that big of deal. And it means I don't lose and HDMI input to the cable box.

But it's all a matter of what works for you.

John
post #815 of 2403 Old 01-12-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post

I have the same bright spot in the middle of the screen when the TV is off. What I have noticed is some small dark spots on the screen that I can see against faces. I know it is the screen because when the face moves, the spots stay in the same place. It almost like the backside of the screen is dirty. Guess there is no way to remove the screen to wash it.

What you are describing is SSE. It happens on ever RP set that I have seen.
post #816 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopfer View Post

What you are describing is SSE. It happens on ever RP set that I have seen.

I don't think so...
There seems to be a specific issue with some of these displays (similar to the "clouds" on SXRDs) where the middle seems to have a red "disc" and the sides seem to have blue bleeds, with alternating red/green bleeds in the corners on white backdrops (SXRDs had the problem against dark backs) :P )
post #817 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 05:41 AM

If you're seeing a bright spot when the TV is off, I suggest you turn off the room lights.

GD in Markham, ON CA
post #818 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 07:14 AM

I was referring the 2nd part of his comments, not to the bright spot. The 2nd part is definitely SSE.
post #819 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

almost twice as much macroblocking and digital noise

Macroblocking MIGHT be a issue, but "digital" noise isn't or shouldn't be (AFAIK).
Quote:

I am noticing more SSE on this set, and what seems to be the "soft focus/grainy look" others have referred to, as well as 2 or 3 appx. 3/4"-1" "smudges" on this panel that were absent on my last, as well as some of that same bandning starting to sneak in.

Your eyes/brain is seeing the SSE more so now that you know what to look for. the smudges are another thing.
Quote:

My understanding is that I could not get HD on the JVC if I input the cable directly.

Another un/mis-informed person, probably either a sales-kid or a CSR from you cable company.
OTA locals and possibly a couple of 'tease' HD channels will be there (or should be).
Quote:

JVC will not display analogs via the digi input with a card inserted.

It will not display ATSC with the CC.
Quote:

Why have another 'box' plugged in, spinning your electric meter, cluttering up the area around the set, and giving you a poorer picture? Besides, you paided for the tuner in the set, why not use it, especially since it gives you a better pic? (in addition of what johnw248 posted)

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #820 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Why have another 'box' plugged in, spinning your electric meter, cluttering up the area around the set, and giving you a poorer picture? Besides, you paided for the tuner in the set, why not use it, especially since it gives you a better pic? (in addition of what johnw248 posted)

i would love a better picture, but i like to purchase pay-per-view on a fairly regular basis. on the flip side, i would get better audio in my recordings on my HTPC since it came out of the TV in stereo versus analog from my STB right now, correct?
post #821 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 11:53 AM

So am I correct in my reading the above posts that this unit has NO WAY to receive OTA ATSC and Digital Cable at the same time?

That's annoying. Not every cable provider carries every digital OTA signal available.
post #822 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopfer View Post

I was referring the 2nd part of his comments, not to the bright spot. The 2nd part is definitely SSE.

Bopfer, I am still not so sure...

this 2nd panel that I got has "smudges" in a couple spots that appear to me to be blemishes on the chips or inside of the panel itself.... on my set, it is DEFINATELY not SSE, but some physical defect of the panel or chip (perhaps something as simple as fingerprints from initial installation, dunno)
post #823 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovro View Post

Bopfer, I am still not so sure...

this 2nd panel that I got has "smudges" in a couple spots that appear to me to be blemishes on the chips or inside of the panel itself.... on my set, it is DEFINATELY not SSE, but some physical defect of the panel or chip (perhaps something as simple as fingerprints from initial installation, dunno)

Simple - SSE moves with you, not with the content. Dust/blemishes stay where they are on the screen despite your angle/position. Dust/blemishes stay where they are if you move your lighting around.

Good luck....
post #824 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdab View Post

If you're seeing a bright spot when the TV is off, I suggest you turn off the room lights.

It's not a bright spot in the sense that the TV is actually emitting light, it looks to me like the coating on the inside of the screen is probably catching a little room light and reflecting.

I do not have any red-disc, blue blotch or "smudges" issues with my set. I have been noticeably absent from these forums due to the holidays and the fact that the set it working great. I am actually quite dismayed at the number of issues people are reporting.

The only "problem" I have and I do not know if it even is one is that when I power on the TV, the red lamp light blinks for about 45 seconds. And when I turn the set off it blinks again until the fan shuts off. The manual has no information about that particular symptom...Here's the rub though, I think I may have been so enamored with the picture when I first got it that I did not notice that it was doing it then too.

Are you guys seeing that too?

I will be hitting the service menu soon to check my convergence and such.

Thanks all,
MillerDuck
post #825 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerDuck View Post

he only "problem" I have and I do not know if it even is one is that when I power on the TV, the red lamp light blinks for about 45 seconds. And when I turn the set off it blinks again until the fan shuts off. The manual has no information about that particular symptom...Here's the rub though, I think I may have been so enamored with the picture when I first got it that I did not notice that it was doing it then too.

Thanks all,
MillerDuck

I believe that is just the lamp program cycling (both sets I have had, and the display model I tested on had that "problem" hehe). However, my 2nd set DOES have a problem with the lamp program cycler...

The fan will NOT shut off. Turn off Power to set, program cycles, can hear the engine shut down after 60-90 sec program... but one of the internal fans still spins. Almost as loud as a bad case or slot fan in a PC. /flail

Looking forward to set #3, and hoping it is hassle free :P
post #826 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyzaboy View Post

Simple - SSE moves with you, not with the content. Dust/blemishes stay where they are on the screen despite your angle/position. Dust/blemishes stay where they are if you move your lighting around.

Good luck....

Aye, what I am referring to is certainly a "blemish" on the display...it appears to be oil based from the way it looks... a few "dead pixel" areas I would attest to dust, though, and can certainly tell the difference.

The fan that won't cycle off is obviously a more serious firmware problem, also. :P
post #827 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 02:28 PM

I am confused now about a cable connection directly into the TV. I do not have an antenna for OTA nor do I plan on getting one. I have comcast as my cable provider so which RF input would I plug the coax cable into that comes directly from the wall and what channels can I expect to get? I am thinking that I can use the STB for HD signals via DVI-D and SD analog via the cable directly into the TV if the SD PQ is better than from the STB. I don't think I could get any of the digital channels off the cable without a cable card. Am I correct in this?

I think I finally understand what SSE is. To me it appears to be grain in the picture that does not move as the picture changes so it must be part of the screen itself.

I did notice one other thing. Being curious about the grain I got about 6" from the screen and looked at a static picture. The pixels seemed to be in constant movement even though I thought they would be static and stay solid with a static picture. For example, I thought a solid blue background would be static and appear to be a smooth, even blue from real close but it appears the pixels are constantly changing and moving. I guess the signal is continuous so the pixels have to keep refreshing which makes it appear to be moving. I will have to take a look at the CRT see how it behaves. With all the pixel movement up real close, it is a wonder the picture is as good as it is from 10' away.
post #828 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 02:30 PM

I remember a few years ago that Stewart and some other manufactures were selling better quality replacement screens for RP CRTs. I wonder if they will start offering them for microdisplays like the JVC and SXRD? A better quality screen may reduce the SSE.
post #829 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:

I think I finally understand what SSE is. To me it appears to be grain in the picture that does not move as the picture changes so it must be part of the screen itself.

I got a really good feel for SSE today at my local shop. It does seem that it is more pronounced on the JVC than the Sony.

I was having difficulty seeing the rainbow effect on the DLPs. If it is what I think, it was only noticeable on the 720 and not the 1080 (both Mitsubishis, model unknown). Is the rainbow effect visible all over the screen or primarily in the center? Edges?

I was ready to submit the order for the JVC 61" Pro model when my wife "reminded" me that we have to pay about $5000 for the kids (3 & 7) tuition for winter/spring classes. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait until February. Damn! And here I was ready to have my first Superbowl party to celebrate the new TV. Sigh.

I just got the Oppo, but I won't bother hooking it up with my old TV (only composite video inputs...)
post #830 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Millerduck,
The blinking led on startup and shutdown is normal. In the on-line manual page 6, Item 1, it describes this.
HTH,
Ron
post #831 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyzaboy View Post

I was having difficulty seeing the rainbow effect on the DLPs. If it is what I think, it was only noticeable on the 720 and not the 1080 (both Mitsubishis, model unknown). Is the rainbow effect visible all over the screen or primarily in the center? Edges?

Rainbow effect can be anywhere depending on your perception. What was odd, is that I was giving a presentation in front of a DLP projector - and when answering questions and scanning across the room with my eyes, I got a weird rainbow type streak from where the lens was aimed at me - it was odd, and momentarily distracted me...
Anyhow, the 1080 set probably has a faster color wheel which helps - they all seem to be going to a faster wheel to reduce the effect, I think some are adding a 4th color or something too. The real big news from CES is a LED based Samsung that claims to eliminate it all together - but that set is probably a year off - with how things go.
Kids, school - nah, that will just end up costing you more money when they want to go college....
post #832 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 08:31 PM

Got a screen smudge. At first it looked more in-focus, and it moved around the screen from the morning to the evening. Check out the picture. The next day, that disappeared, but now I have a 2" by 3" area that is slightly darker than the rest of the set - really noticable during hockey. It looks really out of focus - unlike the thing that moved around the screen. This "smudge" has been around 3 days now. And just after I settled in to being happy with the set (even with a pixel of blue convergence across the set) - Aargh! Any ideas?

Thanks..
LL
post #833 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 PM

Almost got an "OK" setup going with an ATI 9800pro through the DVI to HDMI. I hooked up the PC input to the VGA output AND the DVI to the HDMI. Then, I set up a "Hot Key" to switch between monitors. This allowed the JVC set to "re-synch" to the ATI card on the HDMI input without needing to reboot the computer - just hit the hot key to swap monitors. Cool - plus if the HDMI output gets messed up, you can always switch back to the PC input and fix it. Also, you can see the computer boot on the PC input - unlike the HDMI.

BUT the dumb ATI drivers do not remember the resolution of each of the monitors, it keeps it the same - argh! And of course, HDMI works with 800x600 and 720p, but not 1024x768 - Opposite of the flippin' PC input. So basically, it still is not a useful setup - unless someone knows how to get the ATI driver to switch the resolution when swapping monitors..

For now I gave up - just using the PC input....no widescreen.... I can't see how all these folks at CES are talking about "Digital Convergence" and we (probably the top 10% of skill level) cant even get a good setup working. Its laughable.
post #834 of 2403 Old 01-13-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:

I am confused now about a cable connection directly into the TV. I do not have an antenna for OTA nor do I plan on getting one. I have comcast as my cable provider so which RF input would I plug the coax cable into that comes directly from the wall and what channels can I expect to get? I am thinking that I can use the STB for HD signals via DVI-D and SD analog via the cable directly into the TV if the SD PQ is better than from the STB. I don't think I could get any of the digital channels off the cable without a cable card. Am I correct in this?

You take the cable coming from the wall and put it into the supplied splitter. One output from the splitter, you put into the stb. The other output from the splitter, you put into the ATSC input on the TV. Read your users guide "Auto Tuner Setup" - page 40 in mine. You will see that you can set the tuner to analog or digital/cable and digital cable in the respective tuner mode. Once the tuner goes through it's auto tune function and finds the channels that have signal on them, rather than speculating whether digital cable can be received or not, you'll be able to advise the next guy that will inevitably ask the same question later. You'll also be able to tell them whether you agree with the vast majority of people who think this improves their PQ for SD content.

You use the D/A button to switch between the analog and digital tuner while in TV "input". Good luck and let everyone know the results.
post #835 of 2403 Old 01-14-2006, 12:02 AM

I donno why SSE is such a problem. The exact same SSE can be seen in movie theaters. it could just be the crystallin structure of the liquid crystal. I have no problem with it.
post #836 of 2403 Old 01-14-2006, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarren1 View Post

It is easy to just pick out only the negative, or positive, comments of a review. So for a little balance to your quote and comments let's see what Sound & Vision On-line also said about the particular unit under review:
Quoted from: Sound & Vision On-line, JVC 70-inch HD-ILA HDTV Exclusive first look! page 3 By David Katzmaier, February 2006

Commercial rule:
Advertising revenue == positive statements

I am grateful that least Sound and Vision did at least document this most basic inferior performance truth, even if it was buried in they lab report. I spoke with a JVC official several months ago about these very issues and frankly he did not care. Enjoy your purchase

Read the rear projector face-off in the latest Home Theater magazine. All were disappointing. Even the top rated Sony SXRD was deemed neither nuetral nor accurate. In fact it was like watching a cartoon, and lacked in detail (because of misconvergence and poor focus).
Pure crap was delivered this year from all rear projection manufactures. In other words all were fatally flawed except maybe for the Toshiba. I'd be looking to flat panels until RP quality control improves, if ever. This huge format appears to be left to die on the vine...
post #837 of 2403 Old 01-14-2006, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

this unit has NO WAY to receive OTA ATSC and Digital Cable at the same time?

It appears that way. Poor f/w coding.
Quote:

but one of the internal fans still spins.

It's probably the fan for the CC slot.

tametz; That appears to be on one of the screens themselves.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #838 of 2403 Old 01-14-2006, 08:38 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

Commercial rule:

I am grateful that least Sound and Vision did at least document this most basic inferior performance truth, even if it was buried in they lab report. I spoke with a JVC official several months ago about these very issues and frankly he did not care. Enjoy your purchase

Read the rear projector face-off in the latest Home Theater magazine. All were disappointing. Even the top rated Sony SXRD was deemed neither nuetral nor accurate. In fact it was like watching a cartoon, and lacked in detail (because of misconvergence and poor focus).
Pure crap was delivered this year from all rear projection manufactures. In other words all were fatally flawed except maybe for the Toshiba. I'd be looking to flat panels until RP quality control improves, if ever. This huge format appears to be left to die on the vine...

I hope you don't act like a pigieon, drop poop and fly away. Stay around. I think you have some critical eyes and I like some of your insights. I like to hear the Good, Bad & the Ugly of a display even the one I own. People should get so offended, no one is being personally attacked.

I have to ask, what display do you own? What flat panel would you suggest, Plasma or LCD? I though about exhanging my JVC for a Toshiba Plasma, what do you think about those?
post #839 of 2403 Old 01-14-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

Commercial rule:

Add some value to the thread or go deficate in your own backyard.
post #840 of 2403 Old 01-14-2006, 05:09 PM

I recently purchased a 56" 1080 Samsung and I see rainbows. I never saw them in the store or on my friend's Samsung....until I watched "Sin City" at home. Now, I see them all the time.

I am considering the JVC 1080 but I have a concern. I looked at a JVC 720P at Best Buy today and the picture looked grainy. It was sitting between a 720P Samsung and an SXRD, all running from the same source and the other two were noticably sharper. Is this a JVC "feature" or is this fixed in the 1080 set?

thanks
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page