-->The Official JVC - 1080p HD-ILA - HD-XXFH96 Owners Thread<-- - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Shuley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking of the JVC 56 inch but passed when I saw the Sony and read it's reviews...My friend is trying to talk me into a Plasma instead but I simply cannot stand that SDE!! Looks like @$$ But he said "Some don't have it" Well I haven't seen a plasma yet that doesn't have it,everything I say negative about a plasma I always get "Yeah,But..." from him.He's always defending what he likes,I guess we all do that to some degree.
Shuley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 6,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 264
What are the differences between the pro and consumer JVC? Thanks.

Growing Older But Not Up
Waboman is online now  
post #93 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 14,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Intowishin;
What video card do you have? Can you post any screen shots?
For your questions take a look here;

http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=1
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Quote:


I was thinking of the JVC 56 inch but passed when I saw the Sony and read it's reviews.

Looking for a status symbol?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
videobruce is offline  
post #94 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RudyMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been able to compare the PQ of the consumer, Pro and the Sony ?

please give some feedbacks.

Thanks
RudyMeister is offline  
post #95 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MillerDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tigard, OR
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDMANnyc View Post

Cameron, Millerduck, etc. . . thank you all very much for all of your posts. I just ordered the 70 with the powerbuy mainly because of all I've learned from reading these posts. I do have one question (of course on the issue of accepting a 1080p signal) if you wouldn't mind:

I understand that several of you have been able to display a native 1080p signal from a computer through the HDMI. I know that there is no way to know for sure whether it will be able to do the same for other sources (ie, the PS3), but is there some reason to think that it will not be able to? Is there something special about the signal that comes from a computer that makes it more likely to be able to be displayed?

Thanks again everyone for all your time and patience.

The only concern that some have mentioned is that "true" HDMI connections (those not being converted from DVI) will carry the HDCP communication protocol. The big question is if the TV would represent itself as being 1080p capable to the input device. As I understand it the device would query the TV for it's accepted modes and then output accordingly. If the TV says, "I can only handle 720p or 1080i" then those would be the only choices that the device would be allowed to send.

So, there is no guaranty at this point but the fact that the TV does display the 1080p PC signal is promising. I too plan on a PS3 for gaming and Blu-Ray, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyone with more information on HDMI/HDCP, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
MillerDuck

P.S. Great to have the owner's thread back.
MillerDuck is offline  
post #96 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MillerDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tigard, OR
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angor Watts View Post

A big thanks to Miller Duck and Efranz for all your info.

It's good to be loved!

Enjoy it! Keep us posted with feedback as you get it adjusted and it breaks in.

Thanks,

MD
MillerDuck is offline  
post #97 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Member
 
Intowishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=videobruce]Intowishin;
What video card do you have? Can you post any screen shots?
For your questions take a look here;

i am using a 6200 GT OC from BFG (only 128 MB and AGP). thinking of upgrading this week to something a little beefier. what kind of screen shots are you looking for? i can post anything you want.
Intowishin is offline  
post #98 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Member
 
Bob in Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmatsu View Post

...
I got the nea moda stand at CC (discounted if you buy on their website) for the 61 inch. Center shelf is adjustable and in the middle position, fits my 23X8X10 speaker with no problem.

TTMATSU,

Do you have your set yet? I'd love to see a picture of the 61" on the nea. I couldn't figure out which to buy for the set, the nea or the PTV583B.

My wife didn't like the angled black support, and thought the color of the wood on the base wouldn't match our other furniture in the room.

I picked up the Tech Craft PTV583B at CC tonight in anticipation of a 61" being here Friday.

I did a Paint cut and paste of the nea and the tech craft. Here they are if you don't have your set yet.
LL
LL
Bob in Mo is offline  
post #99 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Member
 
Bob in Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll throw out a new topic for these sets.

UPS.

I've heard that to prolong the life of the bulb and the set, that a good UPS that does sine wave, power filtering and voltage regulation is a great add on. Especially if you have power failures from time to time, and fluctuating voltage.

These sets pull about 215-220 watts.

I've been told that the APC Smart UPS (NOT the Back UPS) and the Smart or OMNI Tripp-lites are good. Look out for square wave or "modified" sine wave.

Any thoughts or comments?

Bob
Bob in Mo is offline  
post #100 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Member
 
marcvh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerDuck View Post

TheaterPro/Low color temp/Dynamic Gamma settings combined with Avia provided best black levels and detail.

I'm not sure what to make of it, but this differs from what I seem to have seen. Using the INHD test patterns (1080i DVI from a Motorola 6412 cable box) I got better black detail with dynamic gamma turned off. This wasn't the behavior I expected but it was pretty clear.

Another thing I haven't ever gotten figured out on is whether the "Theater Pro" button actually does anything differently than merely pulling down the "Video Status" menu and selecting Theater mode. My current guess is that there is no difference.
marcvh is offline  
post #101 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MillerDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tigard, OR
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvh View Post

I'm not sure what to make of it, but this differs from what I seem to have seen. Using the INHD test patterns (1080i DVI from a Motorola 6412 cable box) I got better black detail with dynamic gamma turned off. This wasn't the behavior I expected but it was pretty clear.

When is the INHD test pattern broadcast? I will reevaluate.

Thanks,
MD
MillerDuck is offline  
post #102 of 2403 Old 12-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Member
 
marcvh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerDuck View Post

When is the INHD test pattern broadcast? I will reevaluate.

Saturday morning; in the West it's at 4am. Set your DVR, because nobody wants to calibrate at that hour. I'll take another go at it with my set and make sure I'm still seeing the same thing.

It's possible that their test (concentric circles of decreasing brightness) somehow doesn't work well with the way that dynamic gamma tries to function. For the time being I'm leaving gamma on for daytime (standard mode) viewing but turning it off in theater mode.
marcvh is offline  
post #103 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Member
 
Spartan2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MillerDuck,

Another post stated that JVC commented on the new sets WILL accept a 1080P but only recognize the signal as 1080I and upconverting it. This is an area I am not certain how or what would happen (error message etc?) I know that you have had success. The question is how do you know the set TOOK all 1080P information?

Lastly give your opinion on the SDE (Jaggies) in both SD an HD and at what distance they go away. I have the order for a 70 inch Pro.


Thanks much

Spartan
---------------
JVC RS45
Panasonic 310
Bud Light
Kit Kats
Bad Lasik




Seeking perfection in an imperfect world
Spartan2005 is offline  
post #104 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 02:59 AM
Member
 
Xeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: na
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please publish photos of computer screen images at 1080.

- How look CA (chromatic aberrations), overscan?
- How are XGA and DVI inputs on new set ?
- How look ghosts around letters ?
- How look red texts on blue or black backgrounds?

On my 720p 61G786, or heck the No actually is, I connect PC-to-TV via DVI (because VGA connection sucks to the ultimate extreme and is done by total idiots for total idiots, shame for JVC, but it is the only one or two such, and is actually fixable). There also exist overscan cuts of screen from all sides by several percents, not fixable easily, even with Powerstrip. It's almost OK to forget about this.

I use my TV 90% of time as PC monitor, the kids - 90% time as XboX Live monitor, and just the rest 10% we watch this TV as a TV . TV is boring, internet is now real life (though virtual)

TV is 9 months old, and is great, no objections at all. All scares in this forum about black level, CA, digital noice, fan noise, homogeneity of gray over screen, color smudges, silk effect were just crap, usual free flow of trolling on the net. With this great TV you clearly see many disadvantages of HDTV broadcasts, specifically if operators use cheap cameras, even if cameras look expensive and professional. Still even the best broadcasts are not close to PC pixel-to-pixel mapping quality at 720x1280 due to compression and smaller bandwidth of TV. Currently and in foreseeble future they are and will be more like 400x700 or worse. Hence, folks,

*** the1080 for TV is not needed at all ***.
Period.

But with 1080 there will be 2.5 times more pixels for PC to use, so computer work and programming could be better if CAs will be small for smaller letters at 1080 (in 720 they are actually very small over whole screen area - quite an amazing achievement of JVC)
Xeye is offline  
post #105 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
efranzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Marcvh, you don't really want to have dynamic gamma turned on while doing calibration. You want to turn off all the auto adjusting features while doing this because they can skew the final results. Instead of displaying the image exactly as it is so that you can calibrate to it, the TV will adjust the image first to how it thinks it should be displayed. So you are effectively adjusting to an image that has already been altered from the original test pattern.

With that said, I also usually leave the dynamic gamma off while watching the TV. I think the blacks look great with it off. Plus, if a scene is very complex and the TV decides to adjust the gamma it is noticeable at the moment it happens. I find it distracting from what's happening in the movie/show when it happens.
efranzen is offline  
post #106 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 14,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:


The only concern that some have mentioned is that "true" HDMI connections (those not being converted from DVI) will carry the HDCP communication protocol. The big question is if the TV would represent itself as being 1080p capable to the input device. As I understand it the device would query the TV for it's accepted modes and then output accordingly. If the TV says, "I can only handle 720p or 1080i" then those would be the only choices that the device would be allowed to send.

From all I have read through FAQ's & How To's, You can 'fool' the computer into thinking the monitor is something else other than what it is if the video card ID's the set correctly. Choose some other inf file from the assortment that M$ provides with all the resolutions you might want to try.
That's one of the first thing PS tells you to do is to change the inf file.

Intowishin; screen shots of your desktop, a web page (preferably here) including closeups of text.

Bob in Mo; With most of these Microdisplays, the lamp/ballast circuit runs around 300vdc from the PS, which in JVCs' case is converted back to AC. I don't know what good filtering the incoming power would do since it it filtered internally. It wouldn't hurt I guess other than those UPSs' always draw power even when the set is off. Kind of expensive filter.
Quote:


I use my TV 90% of time as PC monitor

And I thought I was making a big deal about computer hook-ups............
Xeye; it's not the cameras, it's the compression through the food chain. OTA ATSC looks very good for the most part. It's the SD digital satellite material that looks like s***.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
videobruce is offline  
post #107 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Senior Member
 
bpdp379's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I set up my Harmony 880 the other day and only found one input for HDMI. Anyone know how to get the second available?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
bpdp379 is offline  
post #108 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Member
 
Bob in Mo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

With most of these Microdisplays, the lamp/ballast circuit runs around 300vdc from the PS, which in JVCs' case is converted back to AC. I don't know what good filtering the incoming power would do since it it filtered internally. It wouldn't hurt I guess other than those UPSs' always draw power even when the set is off. Kind of expensive filter.

My thoughts on the UPS were these...

If the power were to go off while the TV was on, then the normal cool down (with fan) cycle when you shut off would not happen, and might damage the bulb.

With a dozen thunderstorms or so each year with lightning strikes I see the lights dim. I know there are surge suppressors, but they don't help in a temporary brown out. But voltage regulation does.

Heck when I turn on my receiver, the lights dim for a second! With my 30 years of working with computers and electronics the more regulated the power, the more reliable the electrical device is.

A $100 UPS like the Tripp-lite at Costco seems better than a $25 surge suppressor.
Bob in Mo is offline  
post #109 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 14,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I live IN the city and power falures are very rare. Maybe one every two years or so. No brown outs (I don't live in Calif.) and lightning isn't a issue.
But, for you, it looks as it is, so I guess a UPS is your insurance.

Glad I live where I do.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
videobruce is offline  
post #110 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Member
 
JETCONT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mo View Post

My thoughts on the UPS were these...

If the power were to go off while the TV was on, then the normal cool down (with fan) cycle when you shut off would not happen, and might damage the bulb.

With a dozen thunderstorms or so each year with lightning strikes I see the lights dim. I know there are surge suppressors, but they don't help in a temporary brown out. But voltage regulation does.

Heck when I turn on my receiver, the lights dim for a second! With my 30 years of working with computers and electronics the more regulated the power, the more reliable the electrical device is.

A $100 UPS like the Tripp-lite at Costco seems better than a $25 surge suppressor.

I am not familiar with "UPS" is it an electrical conditioner?
JETCONT is offline  
post #111 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwv651's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 5,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETCONT View Post

I am not familiar with "UPS" is it an electrical conditioner?

Uninterruptible Power Supply...battery back up!

Joe V.
jwv651 is offline  
post #112 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 11:58 AM
Member
 
alanek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Princeton Jct., NJ
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Uninterruptible Power Supply...battery back up!

Do these also "condition" the power like the Monster or do you need both?
alanek is offline  
post #113 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Member
 
tsax6010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanek View Post

Do these also "condition" the power like the Monster or do you need both?

Depends on how good of a model you buy. Most sold at big box stores do not condition. Check out APC or Belkin to find models that do.

You can not use both at the same time, as both also act as a surge pocessor. Plugging a surge protector like a Monster Power conditioner into a UPS, will result in a reverse polorization, and will void the warranty from both units. I have seen many a fried motherboard from this type of combo.
tsax6010 is offline  
post #114 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RudyMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2005 View Post

MillerDuck,

Another post stated that JVC commented on the new sets WILL accept a 1080P but only recognize the signal as 1080I and upconverting it. This is an area I am not certain how or what would happen (error message etc?) I know that you have had success. The question is how do you know the set TOOK all 1080P information?

Lastly give your opinion on the SDE (Jaggies) in both SD an HD and at what distance they go away. I have the order for a 70 inch Pro.


Thanks much

Well that means it doesn't support 1080P input through HDMI. If it has to upconvert then the point is moot.
RudyMeister is offline  
post #115 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Member
 
JC007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sunland
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the Hitachi V500 for 3 years and can honestly say this has been a great TV, It took me a year of research here and in showrooms to finally make that decision. What I liked best about the Hitachi was the background detail which seemed to be lost in DLP, plus I see the rainbows. The blacks were not as black as DLP but to me, but there was definitely better definition and a better viewing experience. The only negative for me was SDE. Last week the light engine failed and so my extended warranty kick in. I was informed that they could not repair this TV as they are not making this version of light engine and only repairing them. So I was given All my money back including the stand and sales tax in a store credit. So yesterday I was looking for a replacement. I've been looking at the SXRD and all the threads on the JCV for a while now as I've been interested in the technolgy. I wanted a 1080P set mostly for one reason, to have a reduction in SDE. I have seen at the SXRD and definitely would say rear projection has reached a new miles stone. But to me, what an ugly set, what were they thinking. And after looking at their design, it wouldn't have taken much in engineering to have had detachable speakers, or made a 58 inch A10 with an SXRD engine.
Anyway I had a chance to see the JVC 56 1080P and was very impressed, in fact so impressed, I walked out the door with it. I've spent all night playing with it, and here's my 2 cents.

Pro's
Out of the box the picture is very very good.
SD definition, better than expected, even with baseband in.
HD Stunning
Blacks, way better than the Hitachi.
Background definition, better than the Hitachi
Nothing weird I've noticed yet in artifacts
Great viewing angle, better than the Hitachi which was good.
Very little reflection off the screen.
Sound from the speakers is very good, and I will be using them for center.
Extremely light weight

Con's
Cabinet seems to look slightly on the cheap side, very thin plastic.
Fan noise could be an issue, but it's not that bad.
Input selection takes time to go over and haven't figured out to go to directly.
Has a red decoder push, had to move the tint to the green a fair bit.
A tiny bit of uneven patchiness on a pure white screen, but really not bad.


Conclusion:

Is this a better set than the SXRD? I've decided I'm not going to give myself brain damage trying to figure out which is better, it's so very slight, one set might have a better edge on one thing and the other does better on another. Bottom line, we'll never have a perfect TV as Mpeg aint perfect and I don't think we're going to see much improvements
for some time in rear projection. This TV was worth waiting for and I'm totally happy.
Hope this helps with some with there buying decision. I'm going back to play a little and see if this can input 1080P. Please don't ask for pics as I would be too embarrassed to show what it is sitting on.
JC007 is offline  
post #116 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
intexltd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am receiving no picture on the JVC using a DVI-HDMI cable from my HTPC, to the #2 HDMI input. The VGA connection works, what might I be doing wrong, since others have had good results.

Also I have 2 greyish dark blotches on the screen, and ideas?
intexltd is offline  
post #117 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
intexltd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you hook up a pc using DVI-HDMI cables, and it is connected to HDMI #1 input on the JVC, which oncreen input should it be viewed under? I am not getting any video thru any of the inputs,
intexltd is offline  
post #118 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
efranzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am also having some serious problems getting my computer hooked up to my JVC.

I have an ATI x800 video card in my computer. I was running older drivers from about 6 months ago. I'm not sure which version.

I hooked up my JVC via a DVI-HMDI cable to the HDMI 1 input on the TV. I also have my normal monitor hooked up to the computer.

As suggested, I set my video resolution to 1024 x 768 before hooking up the JVC.

When I originally turned on the JVC I was getting a picture from the computer though the resolution was wrong.

I then set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz. It did not look right when I did this. All of the graphics appeared garbled and text was almost illegible. There was an option in the ATI drivers to force it to 720p. I did that and everything looked fine, though I was now at 1280(?) x 720.

I decided to download the latest ATI drivers. I also downloaded the Catalyst Control Panel which I was not using previously.

Once installing the new drivers and rebooting I did manage to set the JVC at 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz and there was no distortion at all. It looked excellent though there was some overscan.

Now here's where the problems really began. Somehow I'd set it up to use both the JVC and my monitor in an extended format. In an attempt to get rid of that I somehow lost the picture entirely on the JVC. I've been trying for the past hour to get an image to come back on the JVC and nothing I've tried is working. At this point in time I am giving up unless anyone can give me some clues as to what I'm doing wrong. I've spent the past 2 hours messing with this and I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. I am constantly losing the display to my monitor as well when trying to adjust things and having to hit the reset button on my computer and wait for a reboot just to see things again. I must have rebooted my computer 50 times in the past 2 hours and I'm getting extremely frustrated.

If anyone has any clue as to what I need to do to get this working again it would be greatly appreciated. I had it working for about 10 minutes but now it's gone.
efranzen is offline  
post #119 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Member
 
ovro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen View Post

I am also having some serious problems getting my computer hooked up to my JVC.

I have an ATI x800 video card in my computer. I was running older drivers from about 6 months ago. I'm not sure which version.

I hooked up my JVC via a DVI-HMDI cable to the HDMI 1 input on the TV. I also have my normal monitor hooked up to the computer.

As suggested, I set my video resolution to 1024 x 768 before hooking up the JVC.

When I originally turned on the JVC I was getting a picture from the computer though the resolution was wrong.

I then set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz. It did not look right when I did this. All of the graphics appeared garbled and text was almost illegible. There was an option in the ATI drivers to force it to 720p. I did that and everything looked fine, though I was now at 1280(?) x 720.

I decided to download the latest ATI drivers. I also downloaded the Catalyst Control Panel which I was not using previously.

Once installing the new drivers and rebooting I did manage to set the JVC at 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz and there was no distortion at all. It looked excellent though there was some overscan.

Now here's where the problems really began. Somehow I'd set it up to use both the JVC and my monitor in an extended format. In an attempt to get rid of that I somehow lost the picture entirely on the JVC. I've been trying for the past hour to get an image to come back on the JVC and nothing I've tried is working. At this point in time I am giving up unless anyone can give me some clues as to what I'm doing wrong. I've spent the past 2 hours messing with this and I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. I am constantly losing the display to my monitor as well when trying to adjust things and having to hit the reset button on my computer and wait for a reboot just to see things again. I must have rebooted my computer 50 times in the past 2 hours and I'm getting extremely frustrated.

If anyone has any clue as to what I need to do to get this working again it would be greatly appreciated. I had it working for about 10 minutes but now it's gone.

I reported this same problem from my store tests - it seems to be related to the inherent delay/lag when switching inputs with the JVC.

The only sure fix I found was to power down both PC and TV. Wait for bulb to cool, then rinse and repeat. There was also some mention that this may be an ATI specific issue, resolvable by reverting to catalyst 5.6 with CCC. I just got my 56" home last night, but it is still in the box. GF just got into town, so no time to play

The main key to HTPC functionality on this set seems to be to power on TV first, then PC, and DO NOT swicth input signals until you are ready to power down your PC. Any further info will be appreciated as you come across it. My main concern is simply GAMEPLAY, which I was entriely unable to test due to lack of Broadband at my local VO.
ovro is offline  
post #120 of 2403 Old 12-18-2005, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
efranzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I tried shutting off everything then turning on the TV before the computer. It made no difference. I also really hate having to powercycle the TV. It has to be extremely bad on the bulb even with it making you wait a couple of minutes.
efranzen is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off