-->The Official JVC - 1080p HD-ILA - HD-XXFH96 Owners Thread<-- - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Even in the theater pro mode the blacks were not deep black and whites were not white, more like a yellowish coloration integrated into the whites.

That can be corrected by a white balance tweak as been posted before.
Quote:

The JVC has pronouced SSE, more than any TV on the market

Wrong. The Mits LCD is far worse.
Quote:

I would go ahead and remove the JVC from consideration as the fan is really loud.

Many sets are noisey. Fan noise can be tamed with a proper instalation in a 'soft' room.
Quote:

The JVC is not great when it comes to tweakability

I'll give you that one.

You did forget one difference;
It's not a Sony......................

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CNET finally published a review of an FH96. Check out the review of the 61" model (HD-61FH96) at:

http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_HD_61FH9...-31615059.html
post #1383 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The comments regarding SD material puzzles me. They seem to be talking more about DVD playback than OTA tuner material if they even tested that at all.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #1384 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 06:07 AM

I know I've read about some people posting the settings they are using on their 61FH96's but can't seem to find them after searching... Does anyone know where the post(s) are?

Thanks,
Dave

PS: Got my HD-61FH96, looks great! Still need to get the right input devices (HD stations, Quality DVD, and HD DTv)
post #1385 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 06:32 AM

Liked: 13
Reading the owners manual it says that the "service only" port on the TV is how software/firmware updates can be applied.

Anyone know when and if there are updates available, how to get, and what those updates might do? i.e. would it allow for direct input select or improve other functionality such as allow more IEEE devices to be recognized?

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
Energy Connoisseur Series Speakers
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
post #1386 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schdp View Post

Dave

PS: Got my HD-61FH96, looks great! Still need to get the right input devices (HD stations, Quality DVD, and HD DTv)

Hello Dave...
If you are currently getting OTA signals via some antenna or other, more than likely you are receiving OTA Digital network broadcasts as well. More and more of the digital shows are HDTV. If you did the channel search (may have to do it a couple of times), press the D/A button on the remote (don't even have to point the remote at the TV) and see what you are getting. Digital broadcasts, SDTV or HDTV, don't need anything special for antennas. Just make sure you split the 75 ohm antenna and conect to both 'INs' at the back of your set.
post #1387 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 06:50 AM

Any idea how current Pro series will compare to the new N97 series coming out this summer?

GH
post #1388 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Quote:

I would go ahead and remove the JVC from consideration as the fan is really loud.

Many sets are noisey. Fan noise can be tamed with a proper instalation in a 'soft' room.

The fan on mine is not noisy at all. Noticeable during shutdown cool-off cycle but not bad at all.

Last night I decreased the volume all the way down of a show my son wasn't paying attention to, and asked him - can you hear the fan? After looking up at the TV and a moments pause, he said "I think so". It is that quite!

The volume of TV was already very low, so we were not just rebounding from a very loud program. Viewing distance is 10 feet, carpeted room with stuffed sectional and recliners, and a cathedral ceiling. TV sits diagonally across one corner of the 24x15 room.

post #1389 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 07:18 AM

Liked: 11
The fan on my 61" pro is not noisy at all either. The ONLY time we hear it is when we turn the set off late at night.
Even with the volume low, we cannot hear it one bit. We sit about 8' away from the television.

Pat
post #1390 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryh View Post

Any idea how current Pro series will compare to the new N97 series coming out this summer?

Check the jvc website under corporate info you'll find the press release. They seem like there isn't anything new except that they are silver instead of black.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
post #1391 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdspringer98 View Post

Check the jvc website under corporate info you'll find the press release. They seem like there isn't anything new except that they are silver instead of black.

According the press release (http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=492&pageID=1), other improvements will be:
- New optical engine (I have read that this will improve bulb life)
- New dynamic auto iris to improve gradations of black level
- Improved IP conversion, scaler perfomance and a new PLL for better performance with SD / composite signals
- Thin cabinet
- CHEAPER PRICES
post #1392 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

New optical engine (I have read that this will improve bulb life)

?? How are lenes going to improve 'bulb life'?
Quote:

New dynamic auto iris to improve gradations of black level

AFAIK, same as current iris, but with a new name (marketing) untill someone proves this different.
Quote:

5th generation digital image scaling technology

Current is 5th generation
Quote:

Improved IP conversion, scaler perfomance

Worthy improvement.

You forgot probably the best improvement is the newer tuner. Have to wait to see what they do to/with it. Hope it at least gets rid of the separate inputs.

post #1393 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 08:39 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovro View Post

Auditor55, you and I should get togehter sometime, as it seems we have similar concerns in choosing a set.

I am still on #4 waiting on #5 and working with JVC corporate. They are attempting to tell me that there is NO KNOWN GREEN BLOB ISSUE with LCoS.
/sigh

So tired of CSRs ****...so far they have sent 2 Service Techs that had NEVER EVEN SEEN MY SET before... "Qualified" beyond belief, eh?

At the end of last week I FINALLY got a callback from Tech saying that the Digital Board for me set came in (on a service call from 1/19 and a set that has since been exchanged TWICE) So, that got me simmering again, and back on the phone with JVC corp. again. Now waiting on their problem resolution decision, but I am not holding my breath. I am on the verge of taking a store credit until the NEW SXRDs come in, since it is becoming apparent that I may NEVER get what I want from JVC.

I see you are continuing to have bad expirience with JVC.
post #1394 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

?? How are lenes going to improve 'bulb life'? AFAIK, same as current iris, but with a new name (marketing) untill someone proves this different. Current is 5th generation Worthy improvement.

You forgot probably the best improvement is the newer tuner. Have to wait to see what they do to/with it. Hope it at least gets rid of the separate inputs.

Don't forget about the thinner cabinet Check out the picture in the second post of the following thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=639834
post #1395 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjensen View Post

CNET finally published a review of an FH96. Check out the review of the 61" model (HD-61FH96) at:

http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_HD_61FH9...-31615059.html

That review is a joke. It doesn't do indepth assessment of the strenghts and weaknesses of the set.

Anyone considering purchasing the JVC 1080p should pay close attention to what I have written about it, its more accurate than any of those dumb reviews.
post #1396 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

That review is a joke. It doesn't do indepth assessment of the strenghts and weaknesses of the set.

Anyone considering purchasing the JVC 1080p should pay close attention to what I have written about it, its more accurate than any of those dumb reviews.

Besides it being a "joke", what specifically didn't you like about it? It seemed to go along with a lot of comments I have read here on the forums.
post #1397 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Just because "you" happen to have one you're not happy with, doesn't mean everyone should take your word as GOSPEL. It seems to me that you're not happy with anything. I usually mind my own business, but some of your posts are sickening.
There are plenty of people who are very happy with these sets, and don't have the problems you have had with yours.

Pat
post #1398 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anybody tried using one of these sets as the center channel for their home theater setup? How does it work / how well do the speakers perform?
post #1399 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lets see you returned your Mits, returned your JVC and now your going on your 3rd SXRD. What would make Mr. Auditor55 happy or is this even possible.

Joe V.
post #1400 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjensen View Post

Besides it being a "joke", what specifically didn't you like about it? It seemed to go along with a lot of comments I have read here on the forums.

Its just like the the review of the SXRD, that said nothing about the color uniformity issues and QC problems.
post #1401 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsan View Post

Just because "you" happen to have one you're not happy with, doesn't mean everyone should take your word as GOSPEL. It seems to me that you're not happy with anything. I usually mind my own business, but some of your posts are sickening.
There are plenty of people who are very happy with these sets, and don't have the problems you have had with yours.

My post aren't really directed at you, they're directed at those who are trying to make a decision on which set to purchase. They need to know the good, the bad and the ugly.
post #1402 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:

My post aren't really directed at you, they're directed at those who are trying to make a decision on which set to purchase. They need to know the good, the bad and the ugly.

All well and good. But you don't seem to realize that perhaps the set that was tested was fine with none of the problems you seem to have with every set you own or look at.
To call the review "a joke" was your interpretation of it, and not everyones.
Seems to me the people reading these threads, can read about the good, bad and ugly already and take it all in and decide what they want to do. I'm quite sure they are not as dumb and uninformed as you seem to feel they are.

Pat
post #1403 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Lets see you returned your Mits, returned your JVC and now your going on your 3rd SXRD. What would make Mr. Auditor55 happy or is this even possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you're the one that's been waiting on a set for like 8 months. Are you still staring at a blank wall
post #1404 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, you're the one that's been waiting on a set for like 8 months. Are you still staring at a blank wall

Good grief guys, let's use this forum to learn more about the product rather than give each other s&^t about personal opinions.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite AVR
SVS Sub
Xbox360
Panasonic Blu-ray
Apple TV3
post #1405 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correction!!! Not exactly...I have a Sam HLN567 if needed, my daughter is using it now...and I have a 22'x15' dedicated HT room with a infocus FP with a 100" screen. So I guess I can wait...My family room Mits RP died Sunday and I am happy to say good bye to that costly POS. I am just waiting for my 70" Pro that will replace the POS Mits. If I where you, if you have the room I would look into a FP...once you been there...there's no going back...I truly believe even you would be happy.

Joe V.
post #1406 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Your reviews are the total opposite of my experience so I would hardly take your review as more accurate. My experience has been much closer to the reviewers so I believe that person is much more reliable than you. This forum is not the World According to Auditor55.
post #1407 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Correction!!! Not exactly...I have a Sam HLN567 if needed, my daughter is using it now...and I have a 22'x15' dedicated HT room with a infocus FP with a 100" screen. So I guess I can wait...My family room Mits RP died Sunday and I am happy to say good bye to that costly POS. I am just waiting for my 70" Pro that will replace the POS Mits. If I where you, if you have the room I would look into a FP...once you been there...there's no going back...I truly believe even you would be happy.

Well I stand corrected then. I don't have any place to set up a dedicated home theater, but I agree with you, I would be happy with such a set up.
post #1408 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdspringer98 View Post

Good grief guys, let's use this forum to learn more about the product rather than give each other s&^t about personal opinions.

Don't take what I'm saying to be mean spirited. Also, I don't mine if people rip me a few times, this isn't my religion but just a hobby for me.
post #1409 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post

Your reviews are the total opposite of my experience so I would hardly take your review as more accurate. My experience has been much closer to the reviewers so I believe that person is much more reliable than you. This forum is not the World According to Auditor55.

I don't know how you can say that
post #1410 of 2403 Old 02-28-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsan View Post

All well and good. But you don't seem to realize that perhaps the set that was tested was fine with none of the problems you seem to have with every set you own or look at.
To call the review "a joke" was your interpretation of it, and not everyones.
Seems to me the people reading these threads, can read about the good, bad and ugly already and take it all in and decide what they want to do. I'm quite sure they are not as dumb and uninformed as you seem to feel they are.

When I'm trying to decide on a TV I look for people me like me, that's going to give you the good, bad and the ugly. I stay away from the sugar coaters because they're not going to post anything negative about their TV.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page