-->The Official JVC - 1080p HD-ILA - HD-XXFH96 Owners Thread<-- - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 2403 Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

Is the lamp operating hours display only available in the service menu?

Yes. Search for the "What's Inside" thread.

KJTEX; Isn't it a two piece box w/ straps. You remove the straps and lift off the top section. If not, cut around the bottom sides and lift the top off.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2403 Old 03-02-2006, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTEX View Post

Forgive my ignorance but what is the best way of getting a 57" x 41" x 18" 104lb
object out of its box?

Remove the box out from around it.

Does the box show dash marks around the bottom? If so, that's where you cut with a box knife.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1443 of 2403 Old 03-02-2006, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Isn't it a two piece box w/ straps. You remove the straps and lift off the top section.

Yes, once you remove the straps the entire carton lifts off leaving the TV sitting on the flat bottom of the box. No cutting required at all.

- Dan
post #1444 of 2403 Old 03-02-2006, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the info, I haven't got it yet but i thought surely you weren't expected to lift
a 104lb TV over 40"
post #1445 of 2403 Old 03-02-2006, 08:11 AM

I have been enjoying DVDs on my 61" via the component connections and OTA SDTV and HDTV via the JVC's tuners. A couple of days ago I decided, with all the HDMI reset problems I have been reading about here on the forum, I wanted to make sure the HDMI IN on the JVC worked while still in warranty so I tried to get the HDMI connection working. No luck! Damn, it had to be the dreaded 'must reset the HDMI switch on the JVC? Well... no. To use HDMI IN on the xxFH96 sets WHEN YOU ARE USING a DVI / HDMI conversion cable, you MUST run analog audio cables to the JVC from whatever equipment you are trying to hook up (in my case an OPPO DVD player) to get the HDMI to sync. Apparently the TV is looking for both Video AND Audio from the HDMI IN before it releases the video to the screen. You can still run your optical or digital or analog audio lines to your receiver for audio, but don't forget to connect those durn cheap, but necessary analog audio cables to the JVC when using DVI / HDMI and trying to get the Digital IN input to work.

Regards,
Tom
post #1446 of 2403 Old 03-03-2006, 06:58 AM

I recently purchased the 61inch model and am VERY happy with everything on it. So far everything I have done works and the PQ is excellent! I was wondering how long I should wait until getting the TV ISF calibrated? Is there a break-in timeframe or anything with the bulb? I don't think the set needs it but I would rather have it done to make sure.

Thanks!
Dave
post #1447 of 2403 Old 03-03-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schdp View Post

I recently purchased the 61inch model and am VERY happy with everything on it. So far everything I have done works and the PQ is excellent! I was wondering how long I should wait until getting the TV ISF calibrated? Is there a break-in timeframe or anything with the bulb? I don't think the set needs it but I would rather have it done to make sure.

Thanks!
Dave

I read somewhere to wait at least 100 hours.

You might want to calibrate it yourself now using the user menu and one of the calibration DVDs that you can buy, as nc_av_newbee states in his post, linked below: BTW - Click and then wait for the forum software to find the correct post.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6965431

If you do decide that you need the service menu ISF calibration, you should consider this information from videobruce:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6967004

I found the two links above by using the Search this Thread button near the top of this page, (just under the page numbers), and entering calibration Here is another link to another AVS forum "Display Calibration" where you can find more ISF calibration information and links to ISF calibrators.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Congratulations on your new JVC!
post #1448 of 2403 Old 03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

schdp; Considering there are really only 3 adjustments inside the SM that would need 'tweaking', I wouldn't bother even considering paying someone to calibrate the set. About the only real improvement is in 'Theater Mode' where there is a greenish tint which can/should be easily corrected with some trial and error using the RGB levels.

Too bad these manufactures won't place such a relative simple adjustment in the user menu. After all, computer monitors have had that ability for years.

PS; welcome to the forums.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1449 of 2403 Old 03-03-2006, 07:05 PM

Recently I purchased a 56". I've had a few problems but this one is a strange one that I have not read about it before and it never happenned on any other tv I have ever owned, or in the tv in my other room.

When I watch local channels (SAT - non-HD), the color noticably shifts from green to red. It really stands out when it is just a face on the screen, but it's happenning all the time. It almost looks like a dim light is constantly turning on and off. I live in Rochester and the channels are 8 and 10. At first I thought I was crazy, but it is getting to be very noticable and even the family has commented on it. My color settings are not wacked out. In fact they are perfect for HD, including local OTA HD. This is quite puzzling and I was wondering if my color temperature could be off, or if an ISF calibration could resolve it. Or maybe the light engine is messed up, I'm not sure.

If anyone has seen this before please let me know, or if you have an idea of why this could be happening I can mention it to the tech next week when he is here.

Thanks.......
post #1450 of 2403 Old 03-03-2006, 11:10 PM

Well, they delivered my THIRD 61" set today.

No smudges
No lint/fuzzy 1/4" lines in the screen
No green tint in the corner

Has a little bit of tilt to the right. I am 100% convinced this is being caused somewhere between the JVC factory and the consumer, because you can totally fix it by pushing on certain parts of the set. Actually, I am amazed at how the picture moves by pushing on the top or bottom of the set. It's obvious that the light engine IS rigidly mounted, and the screen and the way it's attached to the rest of the chassis is not structurally sound, maybe on purpose. I was able to reduce the tilt from about 1/2" to about 3/8" just by a little twisting of the chassis, and I think it's possible to completely eliminate it with a couple of other tweaks. I don't think a new light engine is the answer.

Anyway, I am keeping this one, unless something else shows up in the next 30 days. Ran through Avia tonight with Theater and Standard modes and the PQ is fantastic, just like the previous two (but without the screen defects. I am confident I can tweak the twist out of the screen by loosening a couple of strategic screws and aligning the image properly with the screen as the factory intended.

For the record, this set has a September 2005 manufacture date...so much for getting a recent build from the warehouse...LOL!!!

I'm a happy camper again...
post #1451 of 2403 Old 03-04-2006, 04:58 AM

As I have read on this forum and in the Sound & Vision review about the time it takes to scroll through the inputs I am wondering as I have two devices with HDMI outputs
whether a HDMI switcher on input 1 would speed things up as you would be switching between components instead of inputs.
post #1452 of 2403 Old 03-04-2006, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

hawkman427; Try another source. It fails to amaze me just how many hook either a cable or satellite STB up to their set and rely solely on this (other than DVD) for programs material and never try the internal tuner(s)!
Pick up a Silver Sensor for under $20 and try out what you paid for; the ATSC/QAM digital tuner and report back if the problem is still there.

Tom5040; Who was the first to discover this? If whomever it is, would they mind putting the 'fix' in the "What's Inside" thread?

KJTEX; As been reported many times in these JVC threads, using either a Harmony or way less expensive OneForAll remote allows direct input selection.

post #1453 of 2403 Old 03-04-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:

hawkman427; Try another source. It fails to amaze me just how many hook either a cable or satellite STB up to their set and rely solely on this (other than DVD) for programs material and never try the internal tuner(s)!
Pick up a Silver Sensor for under $20 and try out what you paid for; the ATSC/QAM digital tuner and report back if the problem is still there.

Tom5040; Who was the first to discover this? If whomever it is, would they mind putting the 'fix' in the "What's Inside" thread?

KJTEX; As been reported many times in these JVC threads, using either a Harmony or way less expensive OneForAll remote allows direct input selection.

Thanks VideoBruce, it turns out that it is my DirecTV local channel feed. My kids said the other TV was fine, but I notice it now on both TV's. Actually it's a 'relief' that it's not the TV!!!

I am not happy with DirecTV though, and I miss cable QAM. QAM actually had more HD channels that the DTV package. I will be getting rid of the local DTV package and going back to cable/QAM. But I have a delimna, how do I connect it?

My DTV TIVO receiver has 3 cable inputs, 2 for direct TV (tuner 1 and 2) and one for OTA, which I am using. If I get cable, how and where does it get plugged into the DTV receiver? Or can it? I live and breath TIVO now so it's almost a requirement. I used a seperate QAM receiver before. But now the the HD and QAM is built into the TV, maybe what I want to do is not possible.

Has anyone ran cable/QAM thru the SAT receiver (for recording), or is it only availabe connecting the cable/QAM directly into the TV, therefore bybassing any availabilty to record on Tivo?
post #1454 of 2403 Old 03-04-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure who first mentioned it. I did a search on this thread for "twist" and "tilt" and found a few posts. I doubt that JVC techs would attempt a fix like this, but as other have posted, I don't want to have them replace a perfectly good light engine in an attempt to fix the tilt. Especially when it seems that a little bit of tweaking will solve it. There are probably extreme cases where the twist fix won't work, and as some have posted, the bigger the set, the more critical the alignment of the screen. A 1/4" tilt on a 56" set probably wouldnt be noticable, but on a 70", that tilt would be more than 1/2" in the corners and very noticable...
post #1455 of 2403 Old 03-04-2006, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman427 View Post

Thanks VideoBruce, it turns out that it is my DirecTV local channel feed. My kids said the other TV was fine, but I notice it now on both TV's. Actually it's a 'relief' that it's not the TV!!!

I am not happy with DirecTV though, and I miss cable QAM. QAM actually had more HD channels that the DTV package. I will be getting rid of the local DTV package and going back to cable/QAM. But I have a delimna, how do I connect it?

My DTV TIVO receiver has 3 cable inputs, 2 for direct TV (tuner 1 and 2) and one for OTA, which I am using. If I get cable, how and where does it get plugged into the DTV receiver? Or can it? I live and breath TIVO now so it's almost a requirement. I used a seperate QAM receiver before. But now the the HD and QAM is built into the TV, maybe what I want to do is not possible.

Has anyone ran cable/QAM thru the SAT receiver (for recording), or is it only availabe connecting the cable/QAM directly into the TV, therefore bybassing any availabilty to record on Tivo?

hawkman i know of no D* STB-Tivo or otherwise-that has a QAM-capable tuner, only ATSC OTA. however a direct input to the TV should get you all the UNscrambled digital cable chs. for any more you'll need an HD-cable box. i've never owned a Tivo so i can't help you as far as recording a cable signal from the TV.

jim

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #1456 of 2403 Old 03-04-2006, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It looks like I'm going to need to get a new stand for my 61" JVC. I've got one of the new Toshiba HD-DVD players on order and it looks like it's going to be too wide to fit in the sections on my current stand.

Can anyone recommend a stand that has side sections at least 17.75" wide and a center section that is at least 19.25" wide? I prefer that the sections not have shelves in them as my components range from 2" to 7" high. The stand I have now had adjustable shelves that I just removed and I stack 2 components on top of each other. I would prefer that the overall height of the stand be around 15" high.
post #1457 of 2403 Old 03-05-2006, 08:13 AM

It appears that I have accidentally deleted the service manual I used to have, so it is no longer available....sorry!!
post #1458 of 2403 Old 03-05-2006, 09:17 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen View Post

It looks like I'm going to need to get a new stand for my 61" JVC. I've got one of the new Toshiba HD-DVD players on order and it looks like it's going to be too wide to fit in the sections on my current stand.

Can anyone recommend a stand that has side sections at least 17.75" wide and a center section that is at least 19.25" wide? I prefer that the sections not have shelves in them as my components range from 2" to 7" high. The stand I have now had adjustable shelves that I just removed and I stack 2 components on top of each other. I would prefer that the overall height of the stand be around 15" high.

Why are you buying a HD-DVD? Hold out so we can get one format. We as consumers should stick together and say no to the format war.
post #1459 of 2403 Old 03-05-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Why are you buying a HD-DVD? Hold out so we can get one format. We as consumers should stick together and say no to the format war.

Because I want to watch movies in HD. Life is too short to wait.
post #1460 of 2403 Old 03-05-2006, 10:16 AM

First post on these forums - Just chiming in to say thank you to all you fine folks in this thread - I was afraid I was making the wrong decision but it sounds like the 61FH96 really is the one for me. I ordered one from Buy-dot-com yesterday, can't wait!

Now if only I could make sense of the A/V Receiver forums without my head exploding...
post #1461 of 2403 Old 03-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen View Post

Because I want to watch movies in HD. Life is too short to wait.

I agree. $500 for the Tosh HD DVD is no big deal.

Hal
post #1462 of 2403 Old 03-05-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

hawkman i know of no D* STB-Tivo or otherwise-that has a QAM-capable tuner, only ATSC OTA. however a direct input to the TV should get you all the UNscrambled digital cable chs. for any more you'll need an HD-cable box. i've never owned a Tivo so i can't help you as far as recording a cable signal from the TV.
jim

I realized once I wrote it that it was not possible without a connection to the TV . What a goofball

Has anyone programmed their JVC remote to the DirecTV H10-250 Receiver? The manual says to press 'display' and push in the codes. My display button (with CATV switched over) does nothing. I've tried every single code! Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
post #1463 of 2403 Old 03-05-2006, 05:19 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

I agree. $500 for the Tosh HD DVD is no big deal.

Its not about the money, its whole thing about forcing the consumer to choose a format. We can send a clear message to the manufacturers by rejecting both blu-ray and HD-DVD by rejecting both of them.
post #1464 of 2403 Old 03-05-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Its not about the money, its whole thing about forcing the consumer to choose a format. We can send a clear message to the manufacturers by rejecting both blu-ray and HD-DVD by rejecting both of them.

You're delusional.......either way whatever one you buy in the future will undoubtedly be returned for some flaw I'm sure.
post #1465 of 2403 Old 03-05-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerhC View Post

You're delusional.......either way whatever one you buy in the future will undoubtedly be returned for some flaw I'm sure.

Please take the off-topic HD-DVD discussion over to this thread.

Thanks
post #1466 of 2403 Old 03-05-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerhC View Post

Although in general I would agree with you, Auditor55 makes a good point here. In fact I'll be waiting for a few months if not more, and it sounds like even manufacturers like Oppo-Digital will be waiting until the format war's dust settles.

Oppodigital.com makes a highly regarded upconverting DVD player that most likely would be a great input source for our JVCs, so naturally many of us wonder what their HD-DVD vs. Blue-ray plans are.

But things may be different now-a-days- remember that the PS2, Game-Cube, and Xbox & 360 are all doing fine, and many titles are shared across the formats - unlike the historical Beta-max vs. VHS war, where apparently the better format, (Sony's Beta-Max), lost. So this town - the global economy - is most likely big enough for both HD-DVD and Blue-ray, but time will tell.

Tom5040,

Don't worry about your misplaced SM. Just goto the following thread - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...17#post7250217
post #1467 of 2403 Old 03-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Not exactly a JVC question, but here goes. My entertainment system has a top shelf. I have a Mirage Omni CC that requires nothing blocking from above. My current RPTV allow me to do this by simply moving the Omni all the way forward. Has anyone found a stand to work with the JVC that has a sliding shelf or a shelf in general that would accomplish this?
post #1468 of 2403 Old 03-06-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsoon View Post

To use HDMI IN on the xxFH96 sets WHEN YOU ARE USING a DVI / HDMI conversion cable, you MUST run analog audio cables to the JVC from whatever equipment you are trying to hook up (in my case an OPPO DVD player) to get the HDMI to sync. Apparently the TV is looking for both Video AND Audio from the HDMI IN before it releases the video to the screen. You can still run your optical or digital or analog audio lines to your receiver for audio, but don't forget to connect those durn cheap, but necessary analog audio cables to the JVC when using DVI / HDMI and trying to get the Digital IN input to work.

Regards,
Tom

To me, this sounds like it might be a grounding issue of some type (messing up the digital)....those analog cables also create a better ground between the units...plus, how would the TV know you have the analog audio cables hooked up? Humm...

FYI: I have my HTPC hooked with a DVI/HDMI cable and it works just fine (sound is Digital Optical to my tuner).
post #1469 of 2403 Old 03-06-2006, 05:49 PM

Does anyone know where I can get an HD-56FH96 online. I have been waiting for 7 weeks for TVA to fulfill my order and would like to get it this century. They won't even answer my email.

Thanks.
post #1470 of 2403 Old 03-06-2006, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page