-->The Official JVC - 1080p HD-ILA - HD-XXFH96 Owners Thread<-- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2403 Old 12-08-2005, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
As the first official owner of a JVC HD-56FH96 1080p HD-ILA set on AVS, I christen this the official forum for all of us HD-XXFH96 owners. Let us share tips, ideas, issues and resolutions.

I hope this thread can become a resource for all of those owning or interested in owning the Consumer Model 1080p JVC sets.

What I have learned about my unit so far:
  • 1080p input over HDMI is accepted (Tested with DVI - HDMI PC connection)
  • TheaterPro/Low color temp/Dynamic Gamma OFF/Smart Picture OFF combined with Avia provided best black levels and detail.
  • SD content looks best with MPEG noise reduction on and Digital NR set to auto.

Thanks for listening,
MillerDuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2403 Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 PM

Liked: 10
I don't own one. I have the 52g786 720p and love it although I wished I had waited 4 months for the 1080p. At any rate, I'm post #2 or 3 on what could be a long thread. woo hoo!
post #3 of 2403 Old 12-08-2005, 12:19 PM

MillerDuck I hope to have mine setup over the weekend and will post what settings I end up with.

If I find that the grey scale needs a little tweaking I will post what adjustments I did through the service menu, before and after numbers.

Will be feeding the big boy ota HD signals, HD signal from Rogers cable, Dish 811 HD and now HD lite Voom, and a Oppo for my dvd source.

F room: Jvc70FH96/8300HDPvr & Dish 811, Bed.room Toshiba 50HM66, & Sa3250, Study LG42PX4D & XBox360: Kids tv: Toshiba 50H81, LG4200a, XBox 360, CM4228, 9521rotor, & 7775 preamp.
post #4 of 2403 Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 PM

I'm very interested in getting the HD-56FH96. Could you please tell me the Width and Height of the screen only? (chassis not included).
How would you personally rate the SD picture quality out of 100? Thanks.

-Alex-
post #5 of 2403 Old 12-08-2005, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

MillerDuck: have you been able to configure a resolution within a resolution using PowerStrip so that the computer desktop fits exactly on the screen? If so, what was your final resolution?

Also, how readable is text using small fonts (96pi) or whatever dpi setting you have?
post #6 of 2403 Old 12-08-2005, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaamon View Post

MillerDuck I hope to have mine setup over the weekend and will post what settings I end up with.

If I find that the grey scale needs a little tweaking I will post what adjustments I did through the service menu, before and after numbers.

Will be feeding the big boy ota HD signals, HD signal from Rogers cable, Dish 811 HD and now HD lite Voom, and a Oppo for my dvd source.

Your results regarding greyscale are eagerly anticipated.

Thanks,
MD
post #7 of 2403 Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchinson View Post

MillerDuck: have you been able to configure a resolution within a resolution using PowerStrip so that the computer desktop fits exactly on the screen? If so, what was your final resolution?

Also, how readable is text using small fonts (96pi) or whatever dpi setting you have?

I have not played with powerstrip yet. I am going to be re-building the machine with MCE soon, so I haven't tweaked much.

As far as readability at 96dpi, the desktop icons & text is clear, but too small. At 120, it's readable from 12 ft. (my viewing distance).

Thanks,
MD
post #8 of 2403 Old 12-08-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerAspect View Post

I'm very interested in getting the HD-56FH96. Could you please tell me the Width and Height of the screen only? (chassis not included).

-Alex-

Alex --try this site and put in any size you want

Roy

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home---Navigator ver.-- 6.1.0_5
Desert Cities CA

post #9 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerAspect View Post

-Alex-

Come on... it's a right angle triangle that's 16 X 9. Work out the hypotenuse with Pythagoras' Theorem... sum of the square of the sides equals the square of the hypotenuse. Then divide 56" by what you came up with to calculate a size ratio. Multiply this ratio by 16 for the width and then by 9 for the height.

i.e. for 56" diagonal the screen is

48.81" Wide X 27.45" high
post #10 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
After a quick run-through with Avia last night here are the settings I came up with.

TheaterPro Mode
Tint +1
Color -3
Picture +4
Bright -7
Detail 0
post #11 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 104
efranzen; any outside chance you have OTA and cable w/o a CC?
If so, would you input a known local digital channel (after the inital scan) and see if the set accepts it?

For reference, here is the press release and a hi-rez photo;

http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?i...2&CategoryID=3

http://www.jvc.com/Resources/Documen...0/00/02/50.JPG

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #12 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 11:13 AM

OK...to buy or not to buy? 56" or 61"? The reason...well, a 56" would fit nicely in my 53" media cutout (I HATE media cutouts)in my new house. But I've always wanted a 60"+ TV. If there was a way to see how it flared in the back, possibly I could put the 61" in and just have the front screen flush on the wall...Price doesn't matter since it's only $500. I'm planning to buy from Costco due to the GREAT return policy if anything should happen to it. Decisions decisions...and the specials on D* HD equipment right now doesn't help...free HD receivers and huge discounts on HD DVRs!! ARGH!

Are there any pics of the rear of the set or from above looking down? The next post in this thread I want to say I bought one! THANKS GUYS
post #13 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAC-CA-HT View Post

OK...to buy or not to buy? 56" or 61"? The reason...well, a 56" would fit nicely in my 53" media cutout (I HATE media cutouts)in my new house. But I've always wanted a 60"+ TV. If there was a way to see how it flared in the back, possibly I could put the 61" in and just have the front screen flush on the wall...Price doesn't matter since it's only $500. I'm planning to buy from Costco due to the GREAT return policy if anything should happen to it. Decisions decisions...and the specials on D* HD equipment right now doesn't help...free HD receivers and huge discounts on HD DVRs!! ARGH!

Are there any pics of the rear of the set or from above looking down? The next post in this thread I want to say I bought one! THANKS GUYS

I don't have any pics, but I would have a concern about placing this unit in a cutout. The bulb does run very hot and ventilation is essential. If you plug up all of the airflow with the screen, you may burn it up.

As far as how it tapers, your best bet would be to try and see one live, so you can make your measurements. Barring that option, I will try and do some measuring and maybe a pic or two on my 56" and let you know.

Thanks,
MillerDuck
post #14 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 02:54 PM

MillerDuck (and other owners),

In making your purchasing decision what were your other choices? And why did they fall to the wayside?

The most difficult part of the process for me is seeing the products on an even playing field. You go to a store and not only do you get a list of excuses of how its set up but you can't be sure of what kind of signal one set is being fed versus another.

I'd love to see this JVC in person, but no one in my area has any floor models yet.

For my own eye (and that's all its worth) the Mits 1080 has good color but I can't get past a harshness or jaggedness that I see in the center of the screen. The HP is nice though I'm not as happy with its color or its SD display and it has that jaggedness to a lesser degree. The Samsung does a nice job of smoothing out those jaggies but overall focus suffers and color falls short. The Sony has an overall softness of focus that makes me wish I had a focus ring to adjust. Is there a better term for this jaggedness and is this the nature of DLP's. Does anyone else see them?......No, I don't see dead people.

I don't see rainbows for the most part. I have caught one or two but unless I look for them I can be pretty accepting. Black levels however are important to me. HDMI and firewire are a plus but I will rout through my precious HT RCVR and Speaker system. I'm too old for video games, I'd rather play with my wife and then guitar.

I've been trying to buy a big screen for about 3 years now and just haven't been able to give up the clarity of my old 31" Mits CRT.

Please give us more info on your PQ since this set is so new and hard to find.

Thanks in advance
post #15 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwa View Post

In making your purchasing decision what were your other choices? And why did they fall to the wayside?

The main televisions I was looking at were:

JVC 61FH96 (LCoS RPTV)
Sony KDS-R60XBR1 (LCoS RPTV)
Toshiba 62HMX95 (DLP RPTV)
Toshiba 50HPX95 (Plasma)

I ruled out the Toshiba DLP because I felt there was too much digital noise. I felt this was true with all the new 1080p DLP's actually. It is especially noticeable to me around the edges of white text. It looks like the edges are crawling. I was also afraid that friends or family could be affected by RBE. Nothing like inviting people over for a movie night and have them go home with a headache because they were affected by RBE.

I didn't really rule out the Toshiba plasma. I've actually kept it more or less as my fallback incase the JVC doesn't work out for me. The main reason I didn't go with the plasma upfront is because I wanted something bigger than 50". I think the Toshiba plasma is great though. It uses the same panel as the 8th gen Panasonic and has better features IMHO, such as dual HDMI.

I also somewhat considered the 55" Hitachi plasma (forget the model number). I didn't really spend much time researching it or playing with it in the store. I think it's chasis though is a thing of beauty. I think it's the best looking cabinet of any television right now. Something that just looks wonderful sitting there even if it's off.

I ruled out the Sony for a couple of different reasons. First off, there are those darn speakers. What were they thinking? Then there is the price. I think the image quality is very comparable to the JVC, probably more so than any other television at the moment. Yet the Sony is a considerable chunk of change more expensive and I don't think the image is any better than the JVC, at least not by any significant margin. Not to mention, the Sony started out at $4999. Then within about a month CC accidentally prints a price that is 1k cheaper than that, but it turns out that you can routinely get it for close to that accidental price. So why did Sony charge the initial owners such a premium? I mean, I can understand if the price dropped that amount in 6 months. But in just a month? I just had a feeling that Sony was taking advantage of it's early adopters.
post #16 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 05:25 PM

efranzen,

Thanks for the reply. I happened to see your great picture on the other JVC thread and it definitely piques my interest.

I had started to convince myself the HP was the way to go especially since TVA has a good AVS member price. But, I'll wait to find a floor display of the JVC.
post #17 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The most difficult part of the process for me is seeing the products on an even playing field. You go to a store and not only do you get a list of excuses of how its set up but you can't be sure of what kind of signal one set is being fed versus another.

I'd love to see this JVC in person, but no one in my area has any floor models yet.

For my own eye (and that's all its worth) the Mits 1080 has good color but I can't get past a harshness or jaggedness that I see in the center of the screen. The HP is nice though I'm not as happy with its color or its SD display and it has that jaggedness to a lesser degree. The Samsung does a nice job of smoothing out those jaggies but overall focus suffers and color falls short. The Sony has an overall softness of focus that makes me wish I had a focus ring to adjust. Is there a better term for this jaggedness and is this the nature of DLP's. Does anyone else see them?......No, I don't see dead people.

I don't see rainbows for the most part. I have caught one or two but unless I look for them I can be pretty accepting. Black levels however are important to me. HDMI and firewire are a plus but I will rout through my precious HT RCVR and Speaker system. I'm too old for video games, I'd rather play with my wife and then guitar.

I've been trying to buy a big screen for about 3 years now and just haven't been able to give up the clarity of my old 31" Mits CRT.

Please give us more info on your PQ since this set is so new and hard to find.

Thanks in advance

edwa,

My primary factors were in this order: Clarity with HD content (no jaggies), Black levels, PQ of SD & DVD content, Future-proofing & aesthetics of entire design.

I had actually settled on the 720p models of the JVC but had been putting off a purchase because I wasn't interested in a silver bezel and that was all Video Only was carrying at the time. I did a bunch of research online and saw the releases of the 1080p sets on the very near horizon.

The 720p models were consistently better than the DLPs & LCDs in my first two factors due to the LCOS display technology. They did not address either one of my other 2 factors however.

VO got a 1080p Toshiba DLP in and I stopped by to look at it. I had them move units & connections around to make sure that signal was identical etc. In my opinion, the 720p JVCs still beat out the Toshiba for HD, SD & DVD PQ.

Once again, I was ready to pull the trigger...then I saw a forum on here and a link on the JVC site for the new HD-ILA 1080p FH96 series units. Once I saw that it would be all black, had dual HDMI & probable 1080p input, my last 2 requirements were fulfilled.

I bought my unit sight-unseen based on my impressions of the 720p models and the fact that it had everything I wanted and I could negotiate a great deal with Video Only. I literally got the first one in stock and have no regrets.

I have not seen the Mits or HP products in person, but I have seen the Sony. It is too small & butt-ugly for the $ and the overall picture is equal in my opinion (didn't really notice the softness you were describing).

If you have a location nearby that has the 720p models in stock, go compare them to the other 1080p sets you are considering. I think the LCOS display technology alone will show you that the jaggies are a DLP issue and screen-door is an LCD issue.

All of that being said, I can tell you that this is the absolute least buyer's remorse I have ever had.

Thanks,
MillerDuck
post #18 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerDuck View Post

I don't have any pics, but I would have a concern about placing this unit in a cutout. The bulb does run very hot and ventilation is essential. If you plug up all of the airflow with the screen, you may burn it up.

As far as how it tapers, your best bet would be to try and see one live, so you can make your measurements. Barring that option, I will try and do some measuring and maybe a pic or two on my 56" and let you know.

Thanks,
MillerDuck

Great! Thanks MillerDuck. There are no shelves above it, tho I would probably end up putting one above. Then below I'm thinking the stand would be open from the back. Not sure tho yet as I haven't really looked at stands and haven't seen the stands these JVC's come with. I would try and look at one in store, but I don't think any stores around me have them yet. I figured with the samsung that from the edge of the TV to where it starts to angle back I could fit a bigger than 56" in there and only have the 1" or so of screen protruding from the wall. Other problem is the mantle...it only allows a little overlap. Also I'd have to mount some wall speakers directly to the r and l of the TV but below the mantle (Athena WS's, Def Tech, Klipsch, etc). But I don't see a 56" being bad in there...I just want a 61"!!! I appreciate it if you can get photos!

PS - And no the couches weren't properly aligned yet! 12ft back from the little TV in the pic

Pic
post #19 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 06:53 PM

Hey Sac, do you know anything about the TV stand in picture number two? I could use one like that.

Daddy holding the remote is like a box of chocolates ... you never know which channel you're gonna get ... and you never stay on one very long either!

WTB: NHT 3.3 (or 2.9) in good condition

post #20 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toten Hosen View Post

Hey Sac, do you know anything about the TV stand in picture number two? I could use one like that.

No clue...sorry
post #21 of 2403 Old 12-09-2005, 09:58 PM

I knew there had to be a better name than "jaggies"!

I came across a link on another thread and saw a visual of what has been bothering me on DLP's like the Mits. Macroblocking! Unfortunately, I haven't fulfilled the required 5 posts before you can add a link to a message. If you want to see it do a search for Macroblocking, its in a post on the Mits 1080p thread/ page 40.

Does the JVC DILA also experience this MPEG compressor effect?
post #22 of 2403 Old 12-10-2005, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Jaggies/Macroblocking

Two different thinmgs aren't they?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #23 of 2403 Old 12-10-2005, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I knew there had to be a better name than "jaggies"!

I came across a link on another thread and saw a visual of what has been bothering me on DLP's like the Mits. Macroblocking!

Does the JVC DILA also experience this MPEG compressor effect?

Macroblocking is an MPEG problem usually in dark areas where you can see the MPEG blocks (you'll have to look up how MPEG compresses video). You'll occassionally see a major problem when there is a tape defect on a HD-BETA or other digital source. You can also determine the type of source machine by looking at the size of the blocks on shut down.

Jaggies refers to the problem of displaying a diagonal line with a pixel display. The best you can do with a one pixel wide diagonal line is move the line over one place on each line and hence there is a jagged effect and not a straight line. You also see this on a circle. As you increase the number of pixels, the defect becomes less noticeable. Thus it is less noticeable on a 1980x1080 display than on a 720x1280 display or a wobbluable 990x1080 device.

The JVC has a noise reduction circuit for the macroblocking and the jaggies are much reduced due to the 1980x1080 structure. The jaggie problem is all over the place including typesetting, laser printers or anywhere a raster draws lines that have to represent circles or diagonals.

John
post #24 of 2403 Old 12-10-2005, 08:42 AM

Ahhhhhhh.

Thank you johnw248 for the clarification. I hadn't realized they were both viable terms and was using "jaggies" to make up for my lack in command of nomenclature.

Sorry for getting the thread off topic.
post #25 of 2403 Old 12-10-2005, 08:49 AM

Does HD-61FH96 have PIP (Picture in picture / Dual Screen / Split Screen ) ? I couldn't find this feature mentioned in the spec.

Costco has 56, 61 and 70 with market competitive price on them + it's top of the line Lifetime Guarantee policy. Nobody can beat that I guess.

Does anybody know what is the manufacturer's warranty term on this item i.e HD-61FH96 ? Is it 12 months or 18 months ?

JVC HD-P61R1U, BOSE LifeStyle 50, BOSE C-1024 Mod, Audio Auth 1154A Switch, ReplayTV 5504/5040/WIRNS/DVA, Slingbox, PANSAT 2500A, 2700A, DVP642/37 Philips DVD, Panny CP-72 DVD
post #26 of 2403 Old 12-10-2005, 09:46 AM

They guarantee to replace it ,what happens if you just need some repairs.
they are not an authorized dealer ?
post #27 of 2403 Old 12-10-2005, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhs View Post

Costco has 56, 61 and 70 with market competitive price on them + it's top of the line Lifetime Guarantee policy. Nobody can beat that I guess.

D

Costco has a VERY liberal return policy but don't think for a minute that it is a LIFETIME guarantee on electronics. I don't know why people keep posting that type of misinformation. Go to the customer service desk at your local Costco and ask them about their return policy on electronics or TVs in particular and how long that is good for. Those of you that believe it is unlimited are in for a surprise.

Burn out your lamp within the manufacturer's warranty period and Costco will allow you to return your TV for refund or exchange (that's their answer to not being an authorized dealer). 5 years down the road, it ain't happening.

Laptops and PCs can only be returned within 6 months but my Kirkland cookware can be returned for a lifetime. They are evolving their return/refund policies as the need arises and what they carry changes.
post #28 of 2403 Old 12-10-2005, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhs View Post

Does HD-61FH96 have PIP (Picture in picture / Dual Screen / Split Screen ) ? I couldn't find this feature mentioned in the spec.

Does anybody know what is the manufacturer's warranty term on this item i.e HD-61FH96 ? Is it 12 months or 18 months ?

It has a split screen mode and an index mode (12 stations all onscreen at once). No PIP though. There are some limitations depending on the cources you want to display in the in the split mode and index only works with the integrated tuner.

Stock warranty, 12 months.

Thanks,
MD
post #29 of 2403 Old 12-10-2005, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen View Post

I just had a feeling that Sony was taking advantage of it's early adopters.

Blah! Blah! Blah!

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #30 of 2403 Old 12-10-2005, 10:13 AM

Upconvert - DVD player versus TV' upconvert capability
Has one of the owners tested the TV's ability to upconvert a 480P input from their DVD player and compared it to an upconverted input from their DVD player? Wondering if I can just keep my progressive scan dvd player or if I need to put out some more cash for an upconverting dvd player. Thanks.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page