>>>The Official JVC Pro-Dila HD-P61R1U & HD-P70R1U Owners Thread<<< - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmatsu View Post

Just look at the number of posts asking about extended warranties and people that bought them when they got their TVs from CCor BB or some other store. People want to avoid self insuring on big ticket electronic items. It's not wrong for a store to fulfill customer demand for a product - extended warranty. What could be construed as taking advantage of consumer fears is the variability of prices for warranties. $190 one place and $390 for the exact same warranty another place. The story is the same for the TV itself. Some places charge MSRP while others discount heavily. There is huge profitability in extended warranties - which is why they are pushed so heavily.

If I ran a retail store, I would definitely offer the product because the demand seems huge. Why lose a sale because the customer wanted an extended warranty with the product? That doesn't speak to the "quality" of the retailer. Now if he's charging a lot for the warranty, that speaks to the greed of the retailer but they could still deliver excellent customer service and satisfaction which speaks more about the quality of the dealer versus just greediness (or as some would say "capitalism").

I hear what you're saying. I was just impressed that they didn't push it as that is usually the first thing out of a salesman's mouth at the register "would you like an extended warranty to protect yourself..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 01:20 PM

I just got my sale receipt from AVS via E-Mail, now just waiting for a Roadway tracking #.
Quick setup question, Should my OTA Antenna connect to the vhf/uhf connector on the TV, and my basic cable (no STB, channels 2-99) connect to the ATSC TV jack?
Or do I have it backwards, the manual does not show this config.
I think the D/A button on the remote will switch between the 2 inputs, correct?
I will enable the cable card at some point.

Thanks

Our HT

JVC HD-P61R1U
7.1 Klipsch setup, Forte mains, Academy center, RS35 sides and RW5 backs
SVS PB12 Subwoffer
H/K 635 AVR
post #93 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 01:23 PM

I have looked at the manuals for both the Deisner Pro and Pro 70" models, and there seems to be NO physical differences.
Both units have the exact same inputs/outputs. The only difference I can see is the color of the rear of the cabinets, and the color adjustment on the Pro unit.

If so, these two threads could practically be merged.
post #94 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intexltd View Post

I have looked at the manuals for both the Deisner Pro and Pro 70" models, and there seems to be NO physical differences.
Both units have the exact same inputs/outputs. The only difference I can see is the color of the rear of the cabinets, and the color adjustment on the Pro unit.

If so, these two threads could practically be merged.

Both the Pro and the Consumer Pro are made in the same factory. With the exception of the D65 filter and extended warranty (and minor cosmetic differences) these are the same sets. There is no "higher grade components or tighter QC" for the Professional series, unlike Pioneer Elite. D65 filtering is the key selling point.

Do you have a link to the manuals?

Spartan
---------------
JVC RS45
Panasonic 310
Bud Light
Kit Kats
Bad Lasik

Seeking perfection in an imperfect world
post #95 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by acex2 View Post

I just got my sale receipt from AVS via E-Mail, now just waiting for a Roadway tracking #.

I too just received my sales receipt.
Still no email with a tracking# or expected delivery date.
But it definitely seems there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I'm still keep my fingers crossed that I can take possession on the 23rd.
post #96 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWP123 View Post

I talked with AVS this morning. My 70" was shipped yesterday, but since I am on the West Coast (Seattle), I may or may not receive it by Christmas. All TV's are being shipped via RoadWay (ground transport). They also told me once Jason has tracking information, he will provide the tracking info to each person. So, looks like things are moving.
Ken

Where are the sets being shipped from.... I assume an AVS warehouse but where are they located? I am in Florida and mine 61" was shipped on Mon but I have not received any other information.
post #97 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2005 View Post

Both the Pro and the Consumer Pro are made in the same factory. With the exception of the D65 filter and extended warranty (and minor cosmetic differences) these are the same sets. There is no "higher grade components or tighter QC" for the Professional series, unlike Pioneer Elite. D65 filtering is the key selling point.

The D65 justifies a $3000 difference in MSRP! I'm in the wrong business.

I would have thought it was more like Processors. They are all made on the same assembly line but the seconds, thirds, fourths etc. get the lower rated processor speed and still get sold as firsts in that category. I suspect the same is true for these D-ILA chips and any number of the other electronic components.
post #98 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Would the average person see a difference in the PQ with or without the D65 filter?
post #99 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH55 View Post

The D65 justifies a $3000 difference in MSRP! I'm in the wrong business.

I would have thought it was more like Processors. They are all made on the same assembly line but the seconds, thirds, fourths etc. get the lower rated processor speed and still get sold as firsts in that category. I suspect the same is true for these D-ILA chips and any number of the other electronic components.

JVC doesn't do anything else different than put a D65 filter in. I wish they did but I asked and they don't

Spartan
---------------
JVC RS45
Panasonic 310
Bud Light
Kit Kats
Bad Lasik

post #100 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlee View Post

Would the average person see a difference in the PQ with or without the D65 filter?

The picture will be darker (ref Cameron) which you would expect. While the Sony is oversaturated - I really liked the look. Here is what I pulled from the web

Luma (Y)
Video originates with linear-light (tristimulus) RGB primary components, conventionally contained in the range 0 (black) to +1 (white). From the RGB triple, three gamma-corrected primary signals are computed; each is essentially the 0.45-power of the corresponding tristimulus value, similar to a square-root function.
In a practical system such as a television camera, however, in order to minimize noise in the dark regions of the picture it is necessary to limit the slope (gain) of the curve near black. It is now standard to limit gain to 4.5 below a tristimulus value of +0.018, and to stretch the remainder of the curve to place the Y-intercept at -0.099 in order to maintain function and tangent continuity at the breakpoint:

Rgamma = (1.099 * pow(R,0.45))
- 0.099 Ggamma = (1.099 * pow(G,0.45)) - 0.099 Bgamma = (1.099 * pow(B,0.45))
Luma is then computed as a weighted sum of the gamma-corrected primaries:
Y = 0.299*Rgamma + 0.587*Ggamma + 0.114*Bgamma
The three coefficients in this equation correspond to the sensitivity of human vision to each of the RGB primaries standardized for video. For example, the low value of the blue coefficient is a consequence of saturated blue colours being perceived as having low brightness.
The luma coefficients are also a function of the white point (or chromaticity of reference whitex). Computer users commonly have a white point with a colour temperature in the range of 9300 K, which contains twice as much blue as the daylight reference CIE D65 used in television. This is reflected in pictures and monitors that look too blue.

Although television primaries have changed over the years since the adoption of the NTSC standard in 1953, the coefficients of the luma equation for 525 and 625 line video have remained unchanged. For HDTV, the primaries are different and the luma coefficients have been standardized with somewhat different values.

"Calibrated to D65 color-mastering standards matching the same cinematic standards adopted by the film industry to ensure perfect, lifelike colors the exact way a director intended. "

Spartan
---------------
JVC RS45
Panasonic 310
Bud Light
Kit Kats
Bad Lasik

post #101 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlee View Post

No one knows what the "average" person will or will not see. We can only answer what we see or suspect we will see. You do understand that the D65 standard only addresses 1 aspect of PQ? How accurately the set reflects the intended color the people that produced the "film" wanted. You may prefer more blue or red or more color intensity. So you are going to have to dial in the change according to your tastes.

The consumer version will vary in their adherence to the D65 standard. Some sets will be just about spot on while others will be pretty far off. Obviously, if you are one of the owners or viewers of the spot on sets, you will see no difference. If you are the unlucky owner of one that is far off, then you and everyone else will see a difference and think the color is off. Depends on how far off the standard the particular set you are viewing is on whether you will see a difference or not. That's the gamble of buying the consumer model...may need an ISF calibration rather just running DVE or some other dvd based test/calibration.

Each Pro set is supposed to be calibrated to the D65 standard.
post #102 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post

Where are the sets being shipped from.... I assume an AVS warehouse but where are they located? I am in Florida and mine 61" was shipped on Mon but I have not received any other information.

From what I understand Rochestor NY...anybody know if this is right.

Joe V.
post #103 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Generally the PRO line is a better built unit...has a few more perks and tweaks and better warranty than the consumer version...yes they are made at the same factory but the Pro unit most likely goes through a more thorough process and have a higher quality standard before being released...That's only my opinion.

Joe V.
post #104 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 04:47 PM

Does the D65 filtering/calibration make the picture look similar to the Theater Pro mode? or is it something that affects all picture modes?
post #105 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Generally the PRO line is better built? It most likely goes through a more thorough process and have a higher quality standard before being released? You may get lucky with the consumer model and not see a difference from the PRO model? Can't give the price because the compitition may do something terrible, like beat their price. Sounds like a wacked deal to me.
post #106 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Generally the PRO line is better built? It most likely goes through a more thorough process and have a higher quality standard before being released? You may get lucky with the consumer model and not see a difference from the PRO model? Can't give the price because the compitition may do something terrible, like beat their price. Sounds like a wacked deal to me.

And why do you consider it a wacked deal...Ever heard of the MAP policy I would say not. So your opinion is useless! Explain your position...please

Joe V.
post #107 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmatsu View Post

That's the gamble of buying the consumer model...may need an ISF calibration rather just running DVE or some other dvd based test/calibration.
Each Pro set is supposed to be calibrated to the D65 standard.

Does this mean that with the D65 standard an ISF calibration would not improve picture quality and would not be necessary?
post #108 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

JVC doesn't do anything else different than put a D65 filter in. I wish they did but I asked and they don't

I really don't understand why we continue to ask this question, Theater Pro Versas Pro. The price of the PB for the Pro is equal to or less than the consumer Theater Pro.
If it is better great. If not I have the bragging rights that I have the Professional one, not the ordinarily consumer unit, and a extra 6 month warranty which covers the bulb.

Hal
post #109 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Have you ever noticed on this forum anybody discussing prices? Only a couple of thousand times. The wacked statement was mainly referring to the lack of justification for the price difference. The first question asked in this thread referred to the differences between the Consumer and PRO models. Other than a different filter I have not seen any definitive answers to that question.
post #110 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:

You may get lucky with the consumer model and not see a difference from the PRO model?

All you have to do is look at other products to see this in real life. I have a 22 year old Mitsubishi RPTV that refuses to die. I'm sure some other poor soul bought the same model and it died in 6 months. No two circuit boards are EXACTLY the same. Just because the components that went into making the board meet tolerances doesn't mean the way the board performs is the same as the next board to come off the line.

Every vehicle I've owned has lasted 10 years with over 120,000 miles with no breakdowns but if I had been unlucky and gotten a vehicle that was manufactured with components that were at the max edge of accepted tolerance, it might have only lasted 5 years with oil blowing past the rings or gaps where seals couldn't hold. There is a reason why even well maintained vehicles break down too soon.

The distance between the lens mounting and film plane in a camera is critical. Get one that is at the max tolerance and a lens that is just within tolerance and you get poor sharpness. I have been in photography for decades. There are "consumer" priced lenses that beat "pro" lenses in PQ. You get lucky and find a consumer lens that just happened to get the best quality parts out of a run and was put together in a way that matches your camera perfectly. It's happened to me. One of my friends has the exact same lens and his stinks (at least on my camera and compared to my lens). It's the exact same way with the TVs.

Put a little thought into it before you post.
post #111 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 05:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well I have read that the consumer sets roll down an assembly line in the manufacturing plant, and that JVC professional products are manufactured with an individual being assigned to given item start-to-finish. I don't know if that's true, or even if that would lead to a better better build quality on the final product, but it's something that I've read.

~Zac
post #112 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you ever noticed on this forum anybody discussing prices? Only a couple of thousand times. The wacked statement was mainly referring to the lack of justification for the price difference. The first question asked in this thread referred to the differences between the Consumer and PRO models. Other than a different filter I have not seen any definitive answers to that question.

OK, one more time and I won't post on this subject again.
Let's assume there is no difference between the Theater Pro and the Professional model except for an additional 6 months warranty.
List price is an illusion, what is importantant is how many hard earned dollars you have to spend for one, if both are the same price, which one would you buy?

Hal
post #113 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Andy - if you are interested in a set, the power buy is a great price. I can say I passed on a day after Thanksgiving, double coupon deal for a 56" FH96 to get this deal. As for the difference in list price of the FH96 and R1U - it depends on what the real facts are about the difference in the model. If it is as Spartan has been told - I agree that's wack from a list price perspective.
post #114 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 07:16 PM

Woodsptw, based on what you just said, it really does seem like a good deal.

Edited by request.
post #115 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthenticAMD View Post

Woodsptw, based on what you just said, it really does seem like a good deal. I am wondering if I should cancel my order with TVA for the 61FH96 for the pro-model as you might have implied the prices are similar. I guess I will shoot James a request for a price listing and hope he responds soon.

If your willing to wait I would.
post #116 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just got my Tracking# email (for the 70" PRO)
post #117 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 07:25 PM

Can we get off this line of posting please? This does nothing for anybody and serves no purpose. But I do have some news. I received my receipt from AVS via email, and Jason just sent me an email with ROADWAYs phone number, and tracking number. Looks like mine is loaded on a certain truck and on it's way (I'm on the west coast). I'm to call in a while after their system updates for the estimated delivery date.

So on to the hookup questions. I have an OPPO DVD player, and a Motorola STB (Comcast Hi-Def DVR). I'm going DVI-HDMI from OPPO and STB into my 70" PRO. I've got coax audio from the OPPO and STB into my receiver for surround sound. But I also want to just have audio from the JVC for both, so I'm thinking of putting the audio RCA's from both the OPPO and STB through some sort of RCA splitter and into the single audio jack tied to the JVC HDMI port. Does this sound right?

------------------
Ken
JVC HD-70R1U
Denon 2805
M&K LCR750
M&K SS550
Martin Logan Dynamo
post #118 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 07:42 PM

You can go to roadway express (same as roadway trucking) website and enter your tracking number, "PRO" type entry, then sign up for email updates where they will send you an email whenever the status of your delivery changes. I'm assuming everyone got shipped on the same trucking line. If not, check to see if the company that is handling your delivery offers an online tracking option rather than just keep calling. Mine shows it's still in Rochester.
post #119 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 07:43 PM

My first night with the 70Pro I just enjoyed watching some hi-def tv from my SA8300 cable box. Tonight I figured I try a few of the other features.

1. Media Card Viewer
I hadn't really planned on using this feature but after reading about it in the manual I thought I'd give it a shot. Opened a few digital pictures in photoshop and resized them to the native resolution of 1920x1080 and saved them to an SD card. Popped the card in and closed the door. The media viewer self detected the card and displayed an image. Clicked on the image expecting to see a nice huge picture of my kids and but it turns out it only displays the photos at some reduced resolution with large black borders on all sides. This was a bit of a letdown. I didn't see anywhere in the manual where it specifies the display resolution, I assumed it would make use of the entire display (at least for still images). The manual only mentions the accepted resolutions and says it will scale them.

2. HTPC
Tried hooking up my laptop (Dell Inspiron 9300 Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 w/1920x1200 display) using a DVI to HDMI cable. The ForceWare driver recognized the display and within seconds I had a dual-view display. I dragged a window over and maximized it. The overscan made the title and status bars barely visible. I expected the overscan but what I didn't expect was that the entire output was rotated clockwise by 1 or 2 degrees. I went through the menu and found no way to adjust for this. Is this normal or within an acceptable range? I noticed it yesterday when I was in the cable guide that it wasn't quite straight. But became really obvious with the computer output. Can this be fixed?
post #120 of 4011 Old 12-20-2005, 07:46 PM

just got my tracking# email for my 61" Pro. Hopefully by Christmas?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page