Guys, WHICH ONE is BEST?...Hitachi 51" HDTV (51F710S) or Aspect Hitachi 51" HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

I've narrowed my HDTV selection to these 2 REAR PROJECTION TVs and need a little help

The Aspect by Hitachi 51" HDTV Display (51M200) is on sale for $XXXX

and the Hitachi 51" HDTV (51F710S) is on sale for $XXXX

Has anyone compared these 2 tvs for picture quality/sound, ect?

and to make it even more confusing there's a

Hitachi 57" HDTV (57F710S) on sale for $XXXX

Can anyone vouch for the picture quality of these 3 tvs in HD and also in SD?.....can anyone recommend a BETTER TV in this price range as well?

thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 06:35 PM

the f710s's are better... there picture quality won't be much different in the store; the f7 should have a better picture. Also the f7 has a hdmi input when the aspect only has dvi.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-27-2005, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

have you ever compared them side by side or are you basing it on specs?

Im curious because I dont want to really spend the extra $400 if the pq is negligble.....but if it's definitely noticeable, I might spend the xtra cash

is there suppose to be a difference between DVI and HDMI....and even component? Will that be noticeable?
post #4 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

anyone else want to chime in?

thanks
post #5 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 AM

How are you bringing in your HD programming?

If through a cable box or Direct tv box then the aspect is the better choice. If your bringing HD through an outside antannae then you can only do so on the 51f710 since the aspect is a monitor only.

I have seen the 2 side by side and the pq is essentially the exact same.
post #6 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Really?....you think the picture on these 2 sets is identical?

From reading the Hitachi 51F715 thread, it almost appeared as if the 51F710s was the newer model that replaced the 715 and the Aspect is a step below in features AND picture quality.

So now Im still confused even more....did you see them side by side in a reputable store that had both TVs hooked up to their own HD sources? How did you feel about these 2 sets versus other Rear Projection TVs on the floor as well?
post #7 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also...guys, can I fit one of these tvs in the back of an Acura MDX SUV?.....can it be broken down into 2 pieces?....or will it fit completely if removed from the box?

I want to pick one up, take it home and set it up...possible?
post #8 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 12:50 PM

Possible perhaps but definately the worst way to go! If you have a pickup truck then I would advise picking it up in the box and bringing it home otherwise pay the money to have it delivered. TO many things can go wrong if you try to haul it in the vehicle you listed.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 12:52 PM

The 2 sets were at Circuit city by me and both on the same feed. From 8 feet away no considerable difference in the picture quality. But just remember unless you plan on getting HD feed from cable provide or satellite provider the aspect is not a viable option.
post #10 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 01:04 PM

The Aspect does have a good pic, but I think the S series is better. I considered both, and ended up with a 51S715. The S models have higher contrast CRTs and an additional optical lens, as well as the tuner.

IMO, it comes down to how important the price difference is to you. I think the extra bucks for the S models is worth the difference; if the extra bucks are a problem for you, go for the Aspect, otherwise I suggect the S series.
post #11 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

51S715.....? Hmmm. I hear this is the BEST out of all the Hitachi and possibly other rear projection TVs. Are they still available anywhere?

And how does the picture of the S715 compare to the newer 710 models?

Anyone want to chime in?
post #12 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 08:59 PM

I'll "chime" in. You complain about ISF calibration and RP CRT prices. Now you want to know what's the best set.

If you want the least expensive set stop worrying about PQ.

If you want a really good set with exceptional PQ buy the 51S715 and get it calibrated.
post #13 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

CB9...you sold me, where do I find an S715??
post #14 of 24 Old 12-28-2005, 09:24 PM

The only sources I know are refurbs. I got mine at Second Act (http://www.secondact.biz/product.aspx?productID=51S715 takes you to the set) for $1099, plus shipping and $179 for a 3 year in-home repair warranty. There are several other sources; just Google Hitachi 51S715 and they will show up.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-01-2006, 08:17 PM

I would have loved that S715 too. Drove around and couldn't find a display model so I picked up the 57F710A. It will be delivered Saturday. Bought it at a local TV & Appliance shop. They were happy to beat CC's latest sale price.

On a side note, the 51" is the same price as the 57" at CC. Interesting marketing strategy.

Maybe I'll buy the optional top shelf at TV Authority. It's $35. Need a place to put the DVD and eventually a STB.

I had been waffling for months and Marc Alexander's thoughtful CRT vs SXRD thread convinced me I couldn't go wrong with the CRT.

If the picture looks good I'll skip ISF calibration for now and live in ignorant bliss. Maybe do it next year and it will seem like I have a new set.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-02-2006, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My opinion, if you don't need the built in tuner (VCR can also be used as a tuner) save the extra money and have it professionally calibrated. Most manufacturers have slight differences between models (mostly features that people don't use). Most professional calibrators will tell you that they can get most TV's from a brand very close in picture quality to each other after calibration. I bought the Aspect for my parents recently and I'm very impressed with the picture.
Also, sometimes the more expensive models have more video processing (EE) to make the picture appear sharper on the show room. The less edge enhancement the better the picture looks. Some of the more expensive brands have hardware edge enhancement (undefeatable) and software edge enhancement (defeatable usually).
In short, a professionally calibrated cheaper set will blow away a non calibrated top of the line set. Hitachi makes a great set BTW.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-03-2006, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

wow Greg...this was very informative feedback...thanks

btw, Footer how's the TV...please describe!

Also, may I ask this......of all the technologies ( ie, RP CRT, RP LCD, LCD, LCOS, DLP, CRT, Plasma, ect ) which type of TV's PQ would make the most SUBSTANTIAL improvement with ISF calibration and which type of TV would have the least noticeable picture improvement??

thanks
post #18 of 24 Old 01-04-2006, 05:59 AM

The Hitachi also has a cable card if that matters. One thing I'd be certain of is whether that Aspect DVI has HDCP? Noticed CC had a ton of these things open-boxed one day and the picture was ABSOLUTELY stunning (As was the price). But if the DVI isn't HDCP, high-def movies will probably be left in the cold with macrovision. Seems to be owners in this thread, so anyone have confirmation?
post #19 of 24 Old 01-04-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Also, may I ask this......of all the technologies ( ie, RP CRT, RP LCD, LCD, LCOS, DLP, CRT, Plasma, ect ) which type of TV's PQ would make the most SUBSTANTIAL improvement with ISF calibration and which type of TV would have the least noticeable picture improvement??
I beleive CRT RP stands to gain the most (based on what I've read from posts by those on this board that actually perform calibrations). I can tell you that if you just plug it in and that's it, then in a matter of months your CRT RP will probably have the worst PQ of all the displays, if you take care of it it will have the best PQ (ie. learning how to do a convergence yourself at minimum, or even better having it calibrated).

Quote:
is there suppose to be a difference between DVI and HDMI....and even component? Will that be noticeable?
From what I understand HDMI is a newer spec of DVI that includes a digital audio feed (should you enable it and your components support it, I beleive it only supports 2-channel at this present time as that's all I could get out of mine), the actual video signal is the same from DVI. They can be converted from one to another, so as long as the set has one of the two you're not at a loss. Component is an analog signal that probably looks its best on CRT's. On my set I've found component to look better than HDMI, that may just be that my cable box and dvd player are biased towards component, or that my tv is. Either way you're not losing out by using one over the other. I prefer to use component so I can keep my HDMI port free for future devices, but since I only have 3 HD inputs I have my 360 and cable box on component and my dvd player on HDMI. I thought I read somewhere that the DVI inputs you'd find on tv's would all be HDCP??? As the last poster pointed out that may not be the case, hopefully Blu Ray won't support HDCP so we can avoid that silly nonsense of being forced to use HDMI/DVI for 720p+ movie playback when component can handle it without breaking a sweat.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-04-2006, 05:25 PM

Does anyone know what the difference is between the models ending in different letters? I just bought the 51F710g from Circuit City. But, now I see that there are 51F710a, e, & s models as well.

I'd appreciate any info. It's kind of driving me nuts not knowing exactly what I just bought.

Thanks!
post #21 of 24 Old 02-04-2006, 10:17 PM

There is no "g". It's an "a". Read all about it here. You can download the manual. There is an "s" model. Looks the same as the "a" on the Hitachi website. There is a separate manual for it but I never compared the two manuals.

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/proj.../51F710A.shtml
post #22 of 24 Old 02-05-2006, 01:04 AM

Thanks, Footer. I can't seem to find any info on "g" or "e" either. Very strange. Sears has the "a" models and CC has the "s" and now the "g" models. Maybe its a marketing thing.

If anyone has any ideas please share.

Thanks again.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-05-2006, 02:45 PM

I compared my "A" manual to the online "S" version. The "S" manual is also for an F710 with no letter suffix.

For the "S" version the entire screen acts as an IR sensor for the remote. Wish mine had that feature.

"S" model has RS232C input. "A" does not.

Other than that all other specifications and features are identical.

If I had to guess I'd say that the " " and "S" models came first and are no longer produced. They must all be silver because they all have the same part number for the optional shelf (SLF10). If you see any other letters they are probably errors. It's extremely unlikely that Hitachi would manufacture slightly different versions of an unfortunately soon to be obsolete TV. I still can't figure out why they stopped making the S715 in favor of the F710.
post #24 of 24 Old 02-05-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutec
Thanks, Footer. I can't seem to find any info on "g" or "e" either. Very strange. Sears has the "a" models and CC has the "s" and now the "g" models. Maybe its a marketing thing.

If anyone has any ideas please share.

Thanks again.
The Circuit City rep I spoke with today out here in California says the model number ends with an "a," if that's any help. I was just as curious, since I'm really contemplating buying one myself before they're all snapped up.

How are you liking the picture quality on yours? Does the normal SD material look pretty good? I had read something about certain Hitachi models (not sure if it was this one) that had some sort of "Virtual 1080p" processor which took some of the quality out of the picture, but this was just from one person.
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page