New Sxrd "green Blob" Poll - Page 11 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: DOES YOUR SXRD HAVE or DOESN'T HAVE "GREEN BLOBS"?
Yes...My 50" SXRD Has "Green Blob" Problems 55 13.58%
Yes...My 60" SXRD Has "Green Blob" Problems 97 23.95%
No...My 50" SXRD Does Not Have "Green Blob" Problems 106 26.17%
No...My 60" SXRD Does Not Have "Green Blob" Problems 147 36.30%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp View Post

Maybe someone should start a new poll to find out.

Makes me wonder if the mods would delete such a poll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, there's no dedicated thread for the blue hue issue. Then again, there are already too many SXRD threads....

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #303 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum360 View Post

Well, there's no dedicated thread for the blue hue issue. Then again, there are already too many SXRD threads....

Anymore feedback from the Sony rep about the discoloration issues? I'm on the fence here contemplating service call (on Monday) or exchange or waiting. Thanks.
post #304 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlPaul View Post

That's an interesting point Big J. The question now is the green blob caused by the owner having cooties or are cooties caused by the green blob?

Who can say where the first case started. We must ensure it ceases to spread, however.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN: Uxi

post #305 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

Who can say where the first case started. We must ensure it ceases to spread, however.

My guess is the first case started in a quality control meeting at Sony.
post #306 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Because the green blob messages get intertwined with other stuff in the owner's thread. With this thread we end up with a dedicated thread on the subject.

That still doesn't answer the question of "why not BOTH!"

I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just saying that I believe that it is important to use every voice you have available to share, educate, inquire, help, and finally let SONY, or any other manufacturer know that we consumers are not afraid to use the loudest voice possible to tell the truth, wether it be praise, or warning!

It's unfortunate that we have to fight so hard just to get what we already pay for!

Cooties, or not!

"New" Isn't always better, but you'll never know unless you give it a try!
post #307 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post

I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just saying that I believe that it is important to use every voice you have available to share, educate, inquire, help, and finally let SONY, or any other manufacturer know that we consumers are not afraid to use the loudest voice possible to tell the truth, wether it be praise, or warning!

It's unfortunate that we have to fight so hard just to get what we already pay for!

Cooties, or not!

Perhaps you would share your personal experiences with the SXRD.
J
post #308 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 02:08 PM

Just recieved my 60" SXRD today, and I notice no blob so far. I'm holding off voting for a few days to let my eyes settle in and whatnot, but I expect there to be no green blob.

I have a Feb 2006 build
post #309 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cooties, or not!

I can't argue with posting to both. I don't know if people will bother. My original suggestion was just based on having a focal point thread for the green blob problem. It seemed a lot of green blob discussion was ending up in the owner's thread intertwined with 5 or so messages on different subjects.
post #310 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Elk

Monday I received a replacement 60" SXRD. The first one had a very slight bit of green haze on the memory stick screen to the right of middle even after warmup. While I could not see it on B&W movies or anywhere else while watching, I replaced it knowing there are "perfect" sets out there.

So far, the new unit has no green haze after a couple of minutes. November build for both.
post #311 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 02:48 PM

Incase anyone is interested, I posted this in the owners thread (btw, I have a Jan 2006 build date):
----------
Here's a series of pictures for you guys from my TV that someone asked for, I'm only going to post a few, there are a lot more available here: http://www.ryanshomepage.com/gallery...hlightId=38870

1 Minute After Power Up, still warming up

2 Minutes After Power Up, still warming up

3 Minutes After Power Up, looking better

6 Minutes After Power Up, not perfect, but not horrible

7 Minutes After Power Up

8 Minutes After Power Up

9 Minutes After Power Up

10 Minutes After Power Up

30 Minutes After Power Up -- Picture looks fine by this point

1 Hour After Power Up

4 Hours After Power Up

Note: My camera seems to accentuate a green and pink hue on each side. If you look at the circular polarizer pictures I took, its sortof like that, but more subtle. To the naked eye, after about 10 minutes its very difficult to see the green blob or the pink one on the right side. By 30 minutes the picture looks fine, even the B&W pictures which still seem to show some discoloration in the pictures.

Camera is a Canon 20D dSLR with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Lens. For pictures taken with a filter (UV filter and circular polarizer) a Canon 17-85mm EF-S IS was used.

Ambient Temperature in the room is a climate controlled 68F. I did not measure TV temperatures through the service menu. TV is uncalibrated, on Pro mode, with pretty much all settings in the Advanced Menu set to "Low" except for Black Corrector which is set to Medium, and Gamma/White Corrector which are both off.

Personally for me, I can tell that the corners of the set are darker than the rest of the set (this is partially due to my sitting position). But otherwise the set seems fine after warmup. Green globs and Pinks don't show up for me. I'm happy with the set unless of course it "gains" a green glob after a few weeks of use like others have reported.

Hope the pictures I took help in some way.
post #312 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:

I can't argue with posting to both. I don't know if people will bother. My original suggestion was just based on having a focal point thread for the green blob problem. It seemed a lot of green blob discussion was ending up in the owner's thread intertwined with 5 or so messages on different subjects.

Sounds like there need to be:

*****THE OFFICIAL SXRD Green Blob Thread*******

(No posting about dumbo ears or 1080p allowed!)
post #313 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

Perhaps you would share your personal experiences with the SXRD.
J

My personal experience of the SXRD started when I went to SEARS in Eastland mall in Columbus, Ohio. I was so excited to see the new 50" SXRD, because I had owned two D-ILA's that were both returned because of manufacturing, or engineering defects. It was my hope that SONY would do a better job of implementing the LCoS technology.

Owning those first two JVC TV's, with all of the service tech visits, and a the aggravation of having to deal with those issues, despite having paid $3.5k gave me a crash course in what to look for, and what not to look for, and ultimately helped me hone my own personal expectations of an HDTV that uses the LCoS technology.

So, when I asked the sales person what that green blob in the middle of the picture was, he looked at me like I was crazy at first, until he looked a little closer.
He immediately pick up the remote to change inputs to see if that was causing the problem...when he changed to the internal tuner the picture not only got darker, but the green spot ( a little bigger than the size of a football) got worse.

He then said that it must be that the bulb was defective and was starting to burn out...This made sense to me because I had heard many times that the picture would start to dim before the bulb finally fails.

He told me that he was going to call the SONY rep to rectify the situation.

I went in a couple of weeks later and the same SXRD was there with the same green blob right in the middle of the screen...didn't see that sales guy I spoke with before though.

The green blob immediately reminded me of the reasons my first two TV's were returned... though it wasn't the exact problem, I chalked it up to color uniformity problems, and maybe it was just the nature of LCoS.

It seems that around Christmas, I started to see that quite a few people on this forum were complaining about the same green blob on the SXRD. So, after actually seeing an SXRD with the green blob, I didn't need to be convinced that there were issues with this TV also.

Right around the same time, JVC released their new 1080p offerings. HHGREGG in my area had them in, along with the SXRD's so I was able to do a direct comparison...hands down the SXRD seemed to have a smoother picture ( not as many artifacts).

I didn't notice the green blob on this TV, but I did notice that the blacks were not as deep as the JVC.

I was then faced with a dilemma, would I buy the SXRD because I thought the picture quality would be better, or would I take a small hit on picture quality with the JVC and also enjoy the fact that I liked the cabinet design better, so my choice to go with the JVC was that of compromise.

I have always said that the ultimate TV for me would be (barring the green blob problem) is an SXRD's guts in a FH96's cabinet.

Fortunately, because I had such a good relationship with HHGREGG, they wanted to make sure I was happy this time, so If I couldn't live with the JVC, I could switch to the SXRD.

Now two months later, a memo starts to circulate to the effect that SONY is going to try to make the problem go away by finding ways to mask the problem, instead of fixing it!

So, to answer the question you really wanted to ask me...

NO, I don't own an SXRD, and at this point I'm glad I don't, but that doesn't mean I'm not acutely aware of, and are following the outcome, and also hope someday the problem gets rectified. I mean that would be a win win for everyone, right?

So, If you are suggesting that because I don't belong to the club, I don't have a right to voice my opinion, you are doubly wrong!

"New" Isn't always better, but you'll never know unless you give it a try!
post #314 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

MoPro - thanks for the feedback.
post #315 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 05:39 PM

I am not sure what to do...I can pickup one of these set for a great price but it sounds like no amout of money i save is worth this headach that so many (that post) are experiencing. I know there are many that never post that are having no issues ...I say one at my local magnolia with a Nov. build date that been runing daily for hours on end for 3 months and it was fine.

Honestly I dont know what to think... accept I have 4k in my pocket to buy a new toy and now I dont know what to spend it on.
post #316 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

post #317 of 1340 Old 02-15-2006, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anymore feedback from the Sony rep about the discoloration issues? I'm on the fence here contemplating service call (on Monday) or exchange or waiting. Thanks.

Still no fix as of yet. I posted this earlier (you can do a search and read my whole post on the latest).

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #318 of 1340 Old 02-16-2006, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox-SJ View Post

I am not sure what to do...I can pickup one of these set for a great price but it sounds like no amout of money i save is worth this headach that so many (that post) are experiencing. I know there are many that never post that are having no issues ...I say one at my local magnolia with a Nov. build date that been runing daily for hours on end for 3 months and it was fine.

Honestly I dont know what to think... accept I have 4k in my pocket to buy a new toy and now I dont know what to spend it on.

Buy it with a clear 30 day return policy. That way, if it has problems you can return it.
J
post #319 of 1340 Old 02-16-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

No problems on a 60" SXRD received two days ago. My my my my my what a gorgeous picture. The Olympics in HD? Simply spectacular.
post #320 of 1340 Old 02-16-2006, 07:02 PM

OK I do not notice a green blob at all HOWEVER I have noticed the last couple of days when I turn the TV on the whole screen is GREEN, BRIGHT LIME GREEN and it seems to only go away if I change the Inputs and get it back to my Cable Input again and it is fine. I tried changing the channel etc and nada BUT the Input change fixes it ever time. Any experience this? I read and skimmed through most of this thread BUT there is ALOT still

Edit:BTW this is a January 06 build also, I have had it since 02-11-06. I had a Hitachi 50" for 3 weeks then moved up to the Hitachi 55" LCD BUT still had buyer's remorse. I too that back and now have what I feel to be the best RPTV out there the Sony KDS-R50XBR1 Wish I had $800 more for the 60" Every single Circuit City in this Area was sold out except for one 45 minutes away so I made the trip. All Sears were sold out too! I am happy with my purchase BUT does anyone have this GREEN SCREEN at start up issue?
post #321 of 1340 Old 02-16-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:

My personal experience ...

Nice post, thanks for sharing.

Re this thread topic...

I probably should have posted here but was hasty and replied to a query about the jan 2006 sets over on the owners thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7147827 There's so many SXRD threads to track as it is.... ahhhhhhhhh
post #322 of 1340 Old 02-16-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostfed View Post

OK I do not notice a green blob at all HOWEVER I have noticed the last couple of days when I turn the TV on the whole screen is GREEN, BRIGHT LIME GREEN and it seems to only go away if I change the Inputs and get it back to my Cable Input again and it is fine. I tried changing the channel etc and nada BUT the Input change fixes it ever time. Any experience this? I read and skimmed through most of this thread BUT there is ALOT still

Edit:BTW this is a January 06 build also, I have had it since 02-11-06. I had a Hitachi 50" for 3 weeks then moved up to the Hitachi 55" LCD BUT still had buyer's remorse. I too that back and now have what I feel to be the best RPTV out there the Sony KDS-R50XBR1 Wish I had $800 more for the 60" Every single Circuit City in this Area was sold out except for one 45 minutes away so I made the trip. All Sears were sold out too! I am happy with my purchase BUT does anyone have this GREEN SCREEN at start up issue?

This is really better put into the owners thread, but the problem is with the HDCP handshake. You need to turn on the TV first and then turn on the cablebox. If you're not turning off the cablebox when you're done using it, you should try to get into the habit of doing so.

The reason it turns green like that is because the cablebox isn't getting a proper HDCP (copy protection) handshake back from the TV when it gets turned off and it doesn't recognize the handshake when the TV turns back on. Switching inputs or turning the cable box off/on redoes the handshake.
post #323 of 1340 Old 02-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQiCE View Post

This is really better put into the owners thread, but the problem is with the HDCP handshake. You need to turn on the TV first and then turn on the cablebox. If you're not turning off the cablebox when you're done using it, you should try to get into the habit of doing so.

The reason it turns green like that is because the cablebox isn't getting a proper HDCP (copy protection) handshake back from the TV when it gets turned off and it doesn't recognize the handshake when the TV turns back on. Switching inputs or turning the cable box off/on redoes the handshake.

Sorry if this was in the wrong thread or forum. Thank you so much for that info and eases my mind as well. I do however turn teh cable box on first then the TV, sometimes the Box is left on. I will try turning the TV on first then BOX to see if it does the same thing again. I did not have this issue with my Hitachi though I heard loud pops switching from HD channels to non HD and back which this TV does not. Anyways way off topic I apologize.

Again thank you for the info on my problem(not a problem)

I am enjoying my 50" SXRD and will report back in about a month to let you guys know if I see or don't see green blobs. :crossingfingers:

EDIT: To LiQiCE , I did what you said turned the TV on first then the cable box while both were off and still same GREEN SCREEN. Oh well changing inputs fixes it sooo. It does have sound but no picture when it is on the green screen and I waited about 10 minutes with no change.
post #324 of 1340 Old 02-17-2006, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Question for those of you with VERY SLIGHT "green blob" problems:

What settings are you using on "white balance"..green, red, blue gain and bias,etc.?

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #325 of 1340 Old 02-18-2006, 10:31 AM

Well mine is a January build and I didn't notice it at first but while watching the Winter Olympics hockey I noticed the "green" glob just to the left of center on the screen. The glob is quite large but does fade over time.
I guess I didn't notice it at first because I was blown away with the high def channels.

BTW This is my first post here and I want to thank everyone for their input and knowledge on making my decision on buying this TV a little easier. I look forward to hanging around here awhile and getting more educated.
post #326 of 1340 Old 02-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

What settings are you using on "white balance"..green, red, blue gain and bias,etc.?

My green warm-up haze disappears completely after an hour, minor and can be seen only on the memory stick screen after five minutes. I have mine set on pro/warm. I haven't played with the white balance settings much having too much fun just watching the set yet. I'll pull DVE out in a bit.
post #327 of 1340 Old 02-18-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Neutral color temp helps it go faster.
J
post #328 of 1340 Old 02-18-2006, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

Neutral color temp helps.
J

Yes, I am in neutral...so to speak! lol
Have you made any white balance adjustments?

Also...a note to all...
It is interesting that a few posts around this forum from owners who DID NOT see the "green glob" before are now seeing it on the Olympics broadcasts. As I have always felt, more sets have this problem than not...to varying degrees, of course!

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #329 of 1340 Old 02-18-2006, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also...a note to all...
It is interesting that a few posts around this forum from owners who DID NOT see the "green glob" before are now seeing it on the Olympics broadcasts. As I have always felt, more sets have this problem than not...to varying degrees, of course!

Now, if NBC could just get their act together and do HD really well...
J
post #330 of 1340 Old 02-19-2006, 05:15 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Also...a note to all...

Not me.

By the way, the following is an excellent post (by author of the LCOS Shootout)regarding the green glob:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7157186

He doesn't critically look at sets or calibrate them until they have been on for an hour. Says all types and manufacturers have the issue to one extent or another. Sets can be manufactured to minimize the effect; but some of these efforts impact the overall picture after the set has fully warmed up.

Obviously, some of the SXRD's are not acceptable. But his article confirms my feeling that seeing a "green blob" on the memory stick in the first half hour (or hour if we listen to him) if not a defect if the active picture looks good after a few minutes.
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page