**OFFICIAL** Akai PT5250A thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2006, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since a search revealed there are 0 posts so far on this set, thought I'd make a thread as I am interested in buying this set. Since we can't post prices, I'll just leave it at this set is cheap compared to the samsung with similar specs but this has a listed 3D comb filter which the samsung CRT lacks, if true.

"52 Diag Hd Ready Rear Projection Display
.52mm Fine Pitch
16:9 Screen Aspect Ratio
Atsc Tv Tuner Built In
Pro Scan 1080i Hdtv Monitor
3d Y/c Digital Comb Filter
Dual Hdtv Component Video Input
2 X 15 Watt sound
50.2Hx48.3Wx23L

It's also light weight for a 52" CRT at 135 pounds.

Now, from what I have read here, CRT is more of an established technology, and there are not as many variances between lower quality companies versus better companies as opposed to DLP and LCD. Some people are saying these Akai TVs are basically Samsungs repackaged while others say they have aweful PQ, the few comments on any Akai sets are too conflicting and few to make any kind of conclusion.

Anyone have or has seen this inexpensive CRT and care to share any feedback?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just took the plunge and ordered one of these. Didn't want to hold off and lose the opportunity to get free shipping on it. I guess I'll post again in a few days or more once the set is here and set up to give some feedback. Not expecting $5000+ plasma PQ or anything, but for the price, if it works ok and gives a decent picture thru component with high def., I'll be more then happy. This thing was cheap, dirt cheap, cheaper then any other CRT in 42 or greater size I saw except for other models of Akais.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

My Akai 5250A was ordered on 2/12/06 and was to arrive by 2 day shipping from Fed-ex. Some issues with bank verification, 1 unit arriving shattered, RMA sent back ground so I just got my set today on 3/1/06. I blame Fed-ex for everything, not the vendor who were actually very helpful and didn't charge anything extra (Page Computers).

Of course Fed-Ex only has 1 guy on the truck so I have to help unload this TV that was much bigger and heavier then 135 pounds because it ships surrounded by heavy wooden pallets. Nice to protect the TV but heavy and impossible to get into a standard doorway without unpacking some of the pallets first.

Once inside, I was easily able to get the TV out of the box alone by opening the top, tilting he box on it's side and sliding out the TV and then standing it up. Was happy the TV unit is on a built in stand with little wheels so it sits at a good height and is easy to move around without requiring anything additional.

The TV itself looks nice. Modern mostly silver metal front, very little depth, looks like a DLP set. Powered it on but couldn't pick up any off air signal without an antenna. The menu looks a little blurry, hopefully playing with the convergence will fix that.

Also the box says 4 comb filter, not 3 comb 3D like the web site specs say, so not sure how it would compare to any other set. The documentation had no specs on this set, so all I know is what the box says. The menu itself has many features.

Once I get my D-TV service on Monday, I will be able to give a report on picture quality and other features.

So far, I am more then happy as long as the picture quality is clear for the money spent.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Picked up a $10 antenna at Best Buy to see if I could get anything off air and was surprised to see I got almost 30 channels off-air, probably 15 useable (good signal, not religious, not spanish, not HSN). Several were HD which was nice and let me determine the PQ on this TV set is excellent. Text on screen was sharp, colors seemed decent, and PBS in particular gave a PQ that rivals anything I have seen. My menu text still seems slightly blurry and colors are probably not calibrated very good, but the auto focus seems to work fine for actual PQ with a picture. Signal is an issue right now as I live in a concrete building on a lower floor, so I can't even get a cell phone signal most times from my place, thus many channels pixelate up and lose signal. Direct TV will solve this. PQ is very impressive with SD as well on channels with a decent signal.

The natural height of this TV is perfect for me sitting or reclining on my couch. No cabinet needed is a big plus and something I did not expect.

Native sound is excellent when set with BBE on and set as music regardless of what's on. It's punchy and plenty of boom for a show like star trek or when music is playing in stereo. I have to keep the sound low, 10% max at most for it to not be overly loud but it sounds good when cranked up.

There is only 1 problem I have not figured out with this set. Some channels show a full screen, but streched while the HD channels have a grey bar on either side even though I am set at 16:9, when I set it at 4:3, the picture is in the middle and only half the size of the screen on these channels. I'm sure there is a menu fix for this somewhere, and even not I can live with it. Very happy so far with the Akai 5250A, granted I have only played with it for 1 hour total.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:24 PM

akai crt rp's have excellent pq. i have a slightly (1yr) old model, pt4299hd, a 42" 1080i set, and i couldn't be happier with it, especially considering the price i paid for it. convergence was a little off from the factory, so i played with that some and i have it pretty much perfect as far as i can see. i just have to readjust it every month or so and it's fine.

i've had it since may of last year, and it has gotten a ton of use (average of 6-8 hrs/day, sometimes more), brightness has not dimmed at all. pq on sd signals is somewhat weak, which is my only complaint (comcast cable). hd material looks fantastic. good black levels, smooth picture, very vivid colors, it's a very life-like picture. sports are fantastic on it. dvd's are definately pretty good too. i'm using a sony dvp-n575p 480p deck, and any dvd's with good transfers, such as lord of the rings or any star wars movie, look great. even mediocre transfers still look pretty good.

my only gripe with the features is the lack of hdmi which hurts for next gen optical media, but i plan on sitting that out anyways due to the general consumer-unfriendliness. i'm soon going to invest in a good upconvert over component player to make the most of my existing dvd collection, continue buying sd dvd's, and call it a day. you should be very happy with your tv. if you need any help with your set, such as how to adjust convergence or get into the service menu, pm me and i'll be happy to help. enjoy your new tv!

"it is the mac-daddy of all centers."
Old 03-02-2006, 04:47 PM

I have the 42" model the PT4250A which is the same thing only smaller. I have had it only a month now and I am extremeley pleased with it. I bought a cheap surround sound sytem to go with it and even though the tv sound by itself was good a surround system will make a world of difference. I of course had to upgrade to comcast hd digital now to fatten their wallets. lots better than the 20" 25 year old tv it replaced.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 PM

Hello,
I too recieved my 5250 from page computers. For under a grand shipped, I tried my luck online. They were fast and nice to work with.

Anyways, my 5250 died soon after and Akai sent me a 5299HD as a "comparable" model...

Yeah, Right... No DVI, manual covergance or built in ASTC tuner!

When I called to complain, they were very friendly and are sending out another 5250A...

I too wish it had HDMI, but for the cost I can get by fine with an up converter to component video.

I also don't remember if this TV had a subwoofer output, which I really like on my 53" Hitachi.

Needless to say, for all my searching for projection TV's, this has got to be the best cost out there.

When the technician came to get the 5250, he did infact say it was a Samsung, as that was what the mainboard is. I know a Samsung bran would be alot more $$$...

Be Well...

VanWa
Old 06-02-2007, 09:11 AM

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd ask here first...

I have a PT4250A that I've owned for almost a year. Up until now I've had everything hooked up via component (and one thing via s-video), yesterday I decided to get a DVI cable (and HDMI > DVI converter) to try out the DVI connection. The DVI/HDMI set was for use on a PS3 I'm borrowing from a friend, but I also have a DVD player that has a DVI port so I tried both.