Toshiba 50HM66, 56HM66 Discussion - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1295 Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, we just got the 50HM66 yesterday from HHGregg. We took multiple print outs from websites that sell it for around $1400 including shipping (no tax). Their price was $1699 plus tax, but they came down to $1300 plus tax in order to make a sale. I got this TV for about $1385 after tax.

Anyways, I have a few questions... this being my first HDTV experience. We picked up the Time Warner HDTV DVR cable box today. Right now it is hooked up with some cheap component cables (my HDMI cable is on the way).

First odd thing I can't explain is when I set the cable box to output 720p, HD looks great... but when watching SD analog or digital, there is still part of the grey left side bar visable when in TheaterWide 1. It is probably 1/4 inch or less. Even when in natural mode, with grey side bars on both sides, the picture doesn't seem to be perfectly centered. I just don't see why this happens when the tv is suppose to have a 720p native resolution.

When I switch to cable box to output 1080i, the problem goes away and HD still looks great. Is this an acceptable solution?

I have also noticed that some SD channels look like crap.... even some of the "better" digital channels look like garbage.

I have heard a lot of other people talk about how many bulb hours they have on their set. This tv doesn't tell you this information. Right?

One more question. Is it ok to plug this TV into the switched outlet on the back of a cable box? So that the TV come on and goes off with the cable box power button? I noticed that when connected this way.... the tv will not enter standby and continue to run the lamp/lamp fan when powered off (even though quick restart is on). So if I want to do it this way, I may as well turn off quick restart. Is that bad? Or is it okay as long as you let the tv remain off for 5-10 minutes before turning back on.

I'm guessing the cable box turns the tv off by cutting power to it. Meaning cutting power to the cooling fans too... right? It that bad? Someone mentioned that the tuner fan was always on, so would it be bad if it got shut off with the cable box?

Thanks for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1295 Old 08-30-2006, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms100tech View Post

Hi
Do you have any details on the "new color wheel" as compared to the old one?
Thanks

What I should have said is "you get another color wheel" with the light engine.
It comes assembled with the unit.

Since they have had no problems with their "wheels", I assume that it is the same type.

post #273 of 1295 Old 08-30-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulinigo View Post

Hi, we just got the 50HM66 yesterday from HHGregg. We took multiple print outs from websites that sell it for around $1400 including shipping (no tax). Their price was $1699 plus tax, but they came down to $1300 plus tax in order to make a sale. I got this TV for about $1385 after tax.

Anyways, I have a few questions... this being my first HDTV experience. We picked up the Time Warner HDTV DVR cable box today. Right now it is hooked up with some cheap component cables (my HDMI cable is on the way).

First odd thing I can't explain is when I set the cable box to output 720p, HD looks great... but when watching SD analog or digital, there is still part of the grey left side bar visable when in TheaterWide 1. It is probably 1/4 inch or less. Even when in natural mode, with grey side bars on both sides, the picture doesn't seem to be perfectly centered. I just don't see why this happens when the tv is suppose to have a 720p native resolution.

When I switch to cable box to output 1080i, the problem goes away and HD still looks great. Is this an acceptable solution?

I have also noticed that some SD channels look like crap.... even some of the "better" digital channels look like garbage.

I have heard a lot of other people talk about how many bulb hours they have on their set. This tv doesn't tell you this information. Right?

One more question. Is it ok to plug this TV into the switched outlet on the back of a cable box? So that the TV come on and goes off with the cable box power button? I noticed that when connected this way.... the tv will not enter standby and continue to run the lamp/lamp fan when powered off (even though quick restart is on). So if I want to do it this way, I may as well turn off quick restart. Is that bad? Or is it okay as long as you let the tv remain off for 5-10 minutes before turning back on.

I'm guessing the cable box turns the tv off by cutting power to it. Meaning cutting power to the cooling fans too... right? It that bad? Someone mentioned that the tuner fan was always on, so would it be bad if it got shut off with the cable box?

Thanks for any and all help!

NEVER NEVER NEVER plug a DLP into a switched outlet. The bulb requires a "cool off" time after the set is powered down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leave the box at 1080i. Also I noticed that HDMI made my SD channels look a little better

I'm sure someone here will post how to get into the service menu to see the bulb hours...
post #274 of 1295 Old 08-30-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by german72 View Post

The tech just installed the new light engine.
Problem solved it works perfectly.

The old solve with the screw adjustment and glue, was only temporary. This was from Toshiba.
The tech showed me the screw adjustment in the front of the light engine for this.
I checked the old part number and here it is: r5tb608yo412a.

The new part number is: r5t1622y4498e.

This shows that there was a problem with the old engine because they changed and fixed the problem.

The bill was: unit price: 729.41; extended price ...$802.35 and this was not even with the labor charge.

All covered under warranty.

Mike

Bought the 50HM66 end of June from Best Buy in KS with 4 yr warranty. Noticed this problem at the end of July but it took awhile for me to call about it. Anyhow, they hadn't seen it yet, but I showed them this post and they called up Toshiba on the spot... known issue. New "Light Engine" is on the way. Here's the part number the BB guy has ordered: 30205237

Two cents in case y'all are in the same boat: I love the TV -- everything about it. This is all covered under warranty. No regrets at all. I'm just glad I can still watch TV while awaiting the part/installation.

Also in case you are all trying to take the front screen off of your 50HM66, you remove all the screws, lift the screen straight up an inch or two then pull it away. I noticed some dust when they removed mine so when they come back to install the light engine I might have some compressed air ready.
post #275 of 1295 Old 08-30-2006, 10:19 AM

The light engine gets installed from the Back of the set.

I watched the tech doing the entire install.

Mike
post #276 of 1295 Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx View Post

NEVER NEVER NEVER plug a DLP into a switched outlet. The bulb requires a "cool off" time after the set is powered down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leave the box at 1080i. Also I noticed that HDMI made my SD channels look a little better

I'm sure someone here will post how to get into the service menu to see the bulb hours...

Thanks for the answers. Service menu access would be cool.
post #277 of 1295 Old 08-30-2006, 03:08 PM

I fixed the black splotches on my screen. I opened the unit up and found that there was a ton of dust on the surface that the lamp shines on. I used some compressed air to blow the dust off and now all is okay.

As for SD and analog channels, yes, most of them will look like crap. That's the price we pay for low resolution images being displayed on a high resolution screen. The high resolution amplifies all the snow and signal compression. We compress our signal quite a bit.

The good news is that we (I work for a cable company) will be required by law to make all channels digital by 2008 or 2009. That will help greatly with the analog channels.
post #278 of 1295 Old 08-30-2006, 07:05 PM

As for as adjusting the picture quality, how do I use the program has has been mentioned that is included on THX DVD's? I have several THX DVD's but I don't see a menu option for picture calibration. How do I get to it?

On another note, I am sitting 10 feet away from this TV and I can still see the screen door effect. It's not super bad, but I wish it wasn't there. I also notice quite a bit of noise in the background of the image on HD channels. I don't know if it's the cable signal or if that's the way it's supposed to be. I also noticed that turning on Game Mode adds much more noise to the image.
post #279 of 1295 Old 08-30-2006, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks for the post on the service note. It looks like my 56HM66 has the dreaded problem. Oh well, at least I can watch for it and know that it will be covered when it occurs.
post #280 of 1295 Old 08-31-2006, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Looking at all avenues, two questions;
Is the 1080 version available yet?
Exactly what is this "dreaded problem"??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #281 of 1295 Old 08-31-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Looking at all avenues, two questions;
Is the 1080 version available yet?
Exactly what is this "dreaded problem"??

#1 Toshibas 1080p sets are 62" and 72", there will not be a 1080p 50-56"

#2 http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...m66_56hm66.asp
post #282 of 1295 Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This results from a flawed light engine provided to Toshiba by a third party component supplier.

Oh, pass the buck time. It's not our fault. Sounds as something out of the White House.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #283 of 1295 Old 08-31-2006, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Oh, pass the buck time. It's not our fault. Sounds as something out of the White House.

When was the last time you saw a corporation admit that they personally screwed up? Personally, I don't care if they blame it on Katrina, Saddam, or witchcraft as long as they take responsibility for making it right.

Compare this to the Pioneer or Sony cases where it has taken class action lawsuits to get the company to repair a flawed design.
post #284 of 1295 Old 09-01-2006, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

When was the last time you saw a corporation admit that they personally screwed up? Personally, I don't care if they blame it on Katrina, Saddam, or witchcraft as long as they take responsibility for making it right.

Compare this to the Pioneer or Sony cases where it has taken class action lawsuits to get the company to repair a flawed design.

I feel the same way.

They have treated me very well in replacing my lamp and light engine on my 50hm66.

I have the 46hm95 also...with no problems.

Mike
post #285 of 1295 Old 09-01-2006, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It was just that they made a point it wasn't a part they manufactured. It wasn't a real 'stab' against Toshiba.

post #286 of 1295 Old 09-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Curious if any current 50HM66 owners have owned the previous XXHM94 model from a few years ago. Looking for detailed feedback regarding better/worse PQ, digital artifacts, black level, color accuracy etc. Understand there is an issue with bad light engines but looks like Tosh has addressed.
post #287 of 1295 Old 09-07-2006, 08:53 PM

I just picked up the 56hm66 after having had my 52' JVC D-ILA pack it in at just after a year (light engine = $4000 replacement lol....or so I was told) So I was offered a replacement through Futureshop.

The PQ on the DLP is far better than my JVC was and the black levels are very nice and true. The display model at Futureshop had the shadow problem, but so far mine has not.

I have the extended 4 year warranty through FS, so I am not worried. When they replaced my JVC, I recieved the full price I paid for it in a gift card

I am much happier with the Toshiba, better all around picture, plus I cant hear the fan anymore like I could easily hear the JVC fan.

I recommend this set to anyone who is on a budget and wants a set that has a good size and great picture
post #288 of 1295 Old 09-07-2006, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the 56HMX96. Breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when I found out only the 50HM66/56HM66 light engines are affected. Seems odd. You think they would share the same light engine.
post #289 of 1295 Old 09-08-2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the 56HMX96. Breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when I found out only the 50HM66/56HM66 light engines are affected. Seems odd. You think they would share the same light engine.

Before I let the tech remove my light engine (50hm66) I wrote the serial number down and compared it with the new engine. It was a different one, so they have changed it for the better, I hope.

Mike
post #290 of 1295 Old 09-08-2006, 09:40 PM

Hi, After a year of research I am getting close buying my first HDTV and the Toshiba 50/56HM66, or 50/56HMX96 series is on the top of my list, however before I do, I would like some feed back on possible DLP issues, from all you good folks who have owned these sets for at least a few months.
1. Has any one experianced RBE (Rainbow effect) with these sets?
2. Has anyone found SSE (Silk Screen Effect) to be an issue for them?
3. I have read a few articles which stated that watching DLP sets for a few hours can cause eye strain and can cause a headaches. Has any one found this to be true?
Thanks, all responses will be greatly appreciated.
post #291 of 1295 Old 09-09-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms100tech View Post

Hi, After a year of research I am getting close buying my first HDTV and the Toshiba 50/56HM66, or 50/56HMX96 series is on the top of my list, however before I do, I would like some feed back on possible DLP issues, from all you good folks who have owned these sets for at least a few months.
1. Has any one experianced RBE (Rainbow effect) with these sets?
2. Has anyone found SSE (Silk Screen Effect) to be an issue for them?
3. I have read a few articles which stated that watching DLP sets for a few hours can cause eye strain and can cause a headaches. Has any one found this to be true?
Thanks, all responses will be greatly appreciated.

I have not seen the rainbow effect on mine. I do get the silk screen effect quite often, mostly on whites. I sit 10 feet away from it (50" model). If it wasn't for the silk screen effect, I would give this TV a 10. As it is, I give it an 8. This TV paired with the matching stand is a great looking setup.
post #292 of 1295 Old 09-10-2006, 05:30 AM

1. I can basically see the rainbox effect anytime I wish. If I turn my head quickly to the screen or quickly from it. If I am just watching and don't TRY to make it happen then it isn't really something that bothers me what so ever.
2. Never noticed it.
3. No headaches from me. Today after watching 9+ hours of football I guess will tell for SURE!
post #293 of 1295 Old 09-10-2006, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

1) never seen it, but if you see it YOU SEE IT. just watch one in a store for 5-10 minutes
2) never seen it
3) never had an issue
post #294 of 1295 Old 09-10-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I can see RBE from time to time but what exactly is SSE?
post #295 of 1295 Old 09-10-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM View Post

I can see RBE from time to time but what exactly is SSE?

Hi
2. The SSE (Silk Screen Effect) is shimering or tiny sparkling spots of light on the screen, especially in white or very bright areas of the picture. It's caused by light reflections from the tiny etchings on the projection screen. Most RPTVs suffer from this wheather they are DLP, LCD or LCOS.
post #296 of 1295 Old 09-11-2006, 02:13 PM

I've read through this thread, and cant seem to find out if anyone has been able to connect a PC using the HDMI port. I want to connect using a DVI to HDMI cable. Has anyone been successful doing this with the 50HM66?
post #297 of 1295 Old 09-12-2006, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Quick question I hope you can answer concerning the 50HM66 model. I notice that this set has 2 HDMI and 2 component connections. Can all 4 be used, or does using the HDMI or component cancel the other out. Basically I guess the question should be, is it either component or HDMI, but not both? Or can you use both sets of inputs?
post #298 of 1295 Old 09-12-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Quick question I hope you can answer concerning the 50HM66 model. I notice that this set has 2 HDMI and 2 component connections. Can all 4 be used, or does using the HDMI or component cancel the other out. Basically I guess the question should be, is it either component or HDMI, but not both? Or can you use both sets of inputs?

On mine that are all active.
post #299 of 1295 Old 09-12-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Ok. Thanks. So all are active and can be used. I have two HDMI components, plus two other pieces of equipment that need component inputs so I'd be using them all. Last time I believe a salesman. He said you could only use one or the other, but not both.
post #300 of 1295 Old 09-12-2006, 01:08 PM

If any one here is thinking about buying a 50HM66 but hasn't pulled the trigger, Best Buy dropped price on it in last weekends ad. The price was attractive before and even more so now.

I called a distributor friend of mine that sells Toshiba and he confirmed a minor cost drop to dealers.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page