Toshiba 50HM66, 56HM66 Discussion - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 1295 Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gosawx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: other side of MA
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you should expect about a 20% shorter life in hi-power mode
gosawx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 1295 Old 11-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Newbie
 
raulinigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding the defect... when you have it repaired, what do they replace? Do you get a new bulb with the repair?
raulinigo is offline  
post #363 of 1295 Old 11-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Member
 
newtvowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
gosawx,
thanks. After posting my question I noticed you already answered the question a few threads back, musta missed it. Thanks again for quick response.

He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master-HST
newtvowner is offline  
post #364 of 1295 Old 11-13-2006, 02:49 AM
Member
 
newtvowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend a good indoor HDTV antenna. I mostly watch movies (over 600 dvds in my collection) and don't watch actually tv the much during the week. At least not to justify paying $80 a month for cable. So I want to get an indoor antenna to pick up OTA signals. I purchased the rectangle looking one by RCA from BB and it didn't work at all. Any suggestions? I live in a suburban type area in Baltimore where reception is not great so Iwill need one that amplifies the signal. Thanks for any help.

He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master-HST
newtvowner is offline  
post #365 of 1295 Old 11-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Member
 
hall316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florissant, MO
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYi anyone wanting to pick up a 56hm66 it will be onsale for $1199 at BB on Black Friday.
hall316 is offline  
post #366 of 1295 Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Member
 
SFXtreme3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll be camping out at my local Best Buy for at least 8 hours to pick myself up one of those 56HM66s. For a price like that who could refuse.
SFXtreme3 is offline  
post #367 of 1295 Old 11-14-2006, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,709
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall316 View Post

FYi anyone wanting to pick up a 56hm66 it will be onsale for $1199 at BB on Black Friday.

I would assume that BB will be charging list price (around $350) for Toshiba base that is made for the 56HM66. Anyone know of a good lower cost alternative for use with this projector?

Also has anyone seen when the doors open on Black Friday at BB, or will this vary by location.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #368 of 1295 Old 11-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Member
 
hall316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florissant, MO
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's actually that price friday and saturday not a true Black Friday deal. You could always buy it on Weds and price match it on Friday or sat.
hall316 is offline  
post #369 of 1295 Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gosawx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: other side of MA
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I would assume that BB will be charging list price (around $350) for Toshiba base that is made for the 56HM66. Anyone know of a good lower cost alternative for use with this projector?

Also has anyone seen when the doors open on Black Friday at BB, or will this vary by location.

Ron Jones


It's easy because it's a 52 1/2 in wide flat bottom TV. Anything from cheap (techcraft) to expensive (salamander, belo) should work well...just pick one you like
gosawx is offline  
post #370 of 1295 Old 11-14-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,709
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtvowner View Post

Can anyone recommend a good indoor HDTV antenna. I mostly watch movies (over 600 dvds in my collection) and don't watch actually tv the much during the week. At least not to justify paying $80 a month for cable. So I want to get an indoor antenna to pick up OTA signals. I purchased the rectangle looking one by RCA from BB and it didn't work at all. Any suggestions? I live in a suburban type area in Baltimore where reception is not great so Iwill need one that amplifies the signal. Thanks for any help.

The 'Silver Sensor' is probably the most popular indoor antenna with forum members. However if signals are weak at your location and if the antenna is located near the TV, then having an amplified antenna will not necessarily provide any benefit since the amplifier will amplify noise as well as the desired signal and for digital TV reception its not just how stong the signal is, rather it the relative strength of the signal to the noise. Amplifiers are good at overcoming the signal loss in the coax cable between the amplifier and the TV, but cannot improve an already noisy signal coming into the amplifier.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #371 of 1295 Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Member
 
afty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I would assume that BB will be charging list price (around $350) for Toshiba base that is made for the 56HM66. Anyone know of a good lower cost alternative for use with this projector?

Best Buy will have a Bush stand (VS74962) for sale for $200 at the same time the TV is on sale. It's in the ad next to the TV.
afty is offline  
post #372 of 1295 Old 11-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Member
 
nmajdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm very tempted to get this TV, sounds like a great TV for the price. But i dont know if I can handle waiting in those lines. It says its a Fri/Sat sale, but how many do they plan to keep on hand? Or is it one of those things where nearly everybody that wants one will get one, but it will take 2 months to deliver it? And will BB still have an 18/24 month no interest offer?
nmajdan is offline  
post #373 of 1295 Old 11-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Newbie
 
bkthomas75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afty View Post

Best Buy will have a Bush stand (VS74962) for sale for $200 at the same time the TV is on sale. It's in the ad next to the TV.

It says right in the ad that they will not price match for the items in the ad. Also, states that supply is limited to warehouse quantities.
bkthomas75 is offline  
post #374 of 1295 Old 11-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Member
 
newtvowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Ron, I will check it out.

He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master-HST
newtvowner is offline  
post #375 of 1295 Old 11-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Member
 
newtvowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BB ad says doors will sale begins at 5 am, so doors will probably open then.

He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master-HST
newtvowner is offline  
post #376 of 1295 Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Member
 
nmajdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have no intention of waiting in those lines or dealing with those crowds so I may have around 9-10am on friday and if they have some left, great, if not, then oh well.
nmajdan is offline  
post #377 of 1295 Old 11-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Member
 
Zodiac VII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in getting an HDTV purely for gaming on the Xbox 360, with the occasional movie and SDTV programming. With that said, and this being a pure 360 gaming HDTV, I have a few questions.

I am staying away from Samsung DLP due to image lag, which is a must not with my gaming. So, I've steered towards Toshiba DLPs, which as far as I know do not have image lag, however I am torn on a decision.

I've tested my 360 on the 50HMX96 and I was extremely impressed. At the same store, the 50HM66 is offered, however for a few hundred dollars less. What is it that seperates the 50HMX96 from the 50HM66? Also, I thought CinemaSeries DLPs were 1080p, when the 50HMX96 is clearly 720p. Why is it a CinemaSeries DLP, then? Will image quality be exactly the same on the 50HM66 and the 50HMX96?

Basically, I need to decide if the extra few hundred dollars is worth it on the 50HMX96, or if the 50HM66 is exactly the same, minus a few features (features that in NO way affect PQ).

Also, I plan on getting an extended warranty, however they are very expensive in-store, and I've recently stumbled upon RepairMaster extended warranties. Does anyone have experience with them, and are they a good idea? I also live in Canada, if that effects anything regarding extended warranties.

Thank you very much for your time, I hope to get some feedback on this situation so I can join the HD realm myself, and soon.

"The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others." -Friedrich Nietzsche
Zodiac VII is offline  
post #378 of 1295 Old 11-16-2006, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gosawx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: other side of MA
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac VII View Post

I'm interested in getting an HDTV purely for gaming on the Xbox 360, with the occasional movie and SDTV programming. With that said, and this being a pure 360 gaming HDTV, I have a few questions.

I am staying away from Samsung DLP due to image lag, which is a must not with my gaming. So, I've steered towards Toshiba DLPs, which as far as I know do not have image lag, however I am torn on a decision.

I've tested my 360 on the 50HMX96 and I was extremely impressed. At the same store, the 50HM66 is offered, however for a few hundred dollars less. What is it that seperates the 50HMX96 from the 50HM66? Also, I thought CinemaSeries DLPs were 1080p, when the 50HMX96 is clearly 720p. Why is it a CinemaSeries DLP, then? Will image quality be exactly the same on the 50HM66 and the 50HMX96?

Basically, I need to decide if the extra few hundred dollars is worth it on the 50HMX96, or if the 50HM66 is exactly the same, minus a few features (features that in NO way affect PQ).

Also, I plan on getting an extended warranty, however they are very expensive in-store, and I've recently stumbled upon RepairMaster extended warranties. Does anyone have experience with them, and are they a good idea? I also live in Canada, if that effects anything regarding extended warranties.

Thank you very much for your time, I hope to get some feedback on this situation so I can join the HD realm myself, and soon.

Toshiba makes Cinema in 720p at less than 62", and 1080p at 62" and larger. Going from the 50HM66 to the 50HMX96, you get:

TV guide on screen
Favorite Browser
Colormaster
Virtual Dolby (SRS TruSurround 5.1)
6 item illuminate remote
THINC
PC input
Black cabinetry

Aside from the Colormaster, you really don't get anything for picture
gosawx is offline  
post #379 of 1295 Old 11-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Newbie
 
ThinkAboutIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmajdan View Post

I have no intention of waiting in those lines or dealing with those crowds so I may have around 9-10am on friday and if they have some left, great, if not, then oh well.

Just do what I did, order the item online but do instore pickup. Then stroll in there at anytime on Friday or Saturday, and Best buy has to give you the lower price on the day of pick up. Trust me, I have researched it over and over to make sure it will work. I actually had to order yesterday, because all the stores around me were showing unavailable for store pick-up. You just have ti pick up the item within 8 days, or they cancel your order.
ThinkAboutIt is offline  
post #380 of 1295 Old 11-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Member
 
benstudley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkAboutIt View Post

Just do what I did, order the item online but do instore pickup. Then stroll in there at anytime on Friday or Saturday, and Best buy has to give you the lower price on the day of pick up. Trust me, I have researched it over and over to make sure it will work. I actually had to order yesterday, because all the stores around me were showing unavailable for store pick-up. You just have ti pick up the item within 8 days, or they cancel your order.

My problem is that I would really like to get some sort of financing deal. Does anyone know or can guess if they will have financing deals on that day? If I do in-store pickup, can I get those financing deals when I pick up the tv? Probably the wrong forum to ask this.
benstudley is offline  
post #381 of 1295 Old 11-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Member
 
BAWatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Best Buy Black Friday sale on the 56HM66 at $1199 is not a "doorbuster", it's not limited to 5am to noon, in fact it's a 2-day sale, all day Friday and Saturday.

BUT, of course, it's limited to "while supplies last". In this case, warehouse supplies rather than store supplies ... the presumption being that you buy the set and pay for it, but pickup or delivery is "later" [the following week, after some sembalance of sanity returns]

I asked a guy at BB if he knew what they expected in terms of availability. He said that really they had no way of knowing ... they knew neither the level of demand, nor the exact quantity that would be available. But the warehouse supplies are relatively large (hundreds to over 1,000 units per warehouse), and it was his guess that these would not sell out within minutes of when the store opened, like the "door buster" items do. In fact, he thought that they might last through much or all of Friday.

I'm kind of torn ... Best Buy has had both the JVC 56" 1080p (which I think is a better set) and the Mitsubishi 57" 1080p (may or may not be a better set) on sale for $1999 already. And I won't be surprised if SOMETIME between Thanksgiving and Christmas, we don't see these and similar 1080p sets for $1,599 to $1,799.

The picture quality on the Toshiba is superb, excellent .... for 720p. But it's not 1080p, and I think that the JVC set has better picture quality even in their 720p models, I think it's a superior technology. [However, JVC has had lamp life issues that scare me to death.] Additionally, the connectivity of the Toshiba really is not that good ... it has both fewer and less versatile inputs than a number of other sets (no 15-pin VGA analog input, and the warnings about "can't use a PC with HDMI", although I think that with proper setup on the PC, that's BS and you can do it ... I THINK). So while $1,199 seems like a good price, I'm not sure that it won't be better to wait for a better deal on a 1080p set. [What I really want is a 1080p direct view LCD with a screen size in the mid 50"'s ... and BB has one, but it's $4,400]
BAWatz is offline  
post #382 of 1295 Old 11-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Member
 
hall316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florissant, MO
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if your computer has dvi out, why couldn't you buy a dvi to hdmi cable?
hall316 is offline  
post #383 of 1295 Old 11-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Member
 
benstudley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So.... I just wanted to update this. I ordered my TV online this morning and I picked it up around 3pm. I verified that I could come in next weekend and get credited for the price difference. They said that as long as it wasn't included in the "7 hour sale" then I could price match. From what I saw, this tv is going to be on sale Friday and Saturday meaning that it's not in the 7 hour sale. I got the guy's name just in case. I really believe that even if they try to not hook me up, if I cause big enough of a stir, that they'll just let it go.

The way I see it, I can just return the tv and turn around and buy it for 1199.99. Why couldn't I?

BTW... I love the TV!
benstudley is offline  
post #384 of 1295 Old 11-19-2006, 06:39 AM
Member
 
hall316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florissant, MO
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the ad clearly states you can not price match anything in the ad. the person who told you that was misinformed.

And BB has been known to arrest for causing a "stir".
hall316 is offline  
post #385 of 1295 Old 11-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Member
 
benstudley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall316 View Post

the ad clearly states you can not price match anything in the ad. the person who told you that was misinformed.


Then I will return the TV on Friday or Saturday and immediately buy it again but for the lower price. Can't do that?
benstudley is offline  
post #386 of 1295 Old 11-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Member
 
hall316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Florissant, MO
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good luck. I would have suggested doing what the other poster said and to just wait and pick it up the day of the sale for the lower price.
hall316 is offline  
post #387 of 1295 Old 11-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Member
 
benstudley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall316 View Post

Good luck. I would have suggested doing what the other poster said and to just wait and pick it up the day of the sale for the lower price.

I am impatient :/
benstudley is offline  
post #388 of 1295 Old 11-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Newbie
 
cstyronjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just bought 50hm66 - channels show 480i - dvd also shows 480i - how do i or can i increase resolution?
cstyronjr is offline  
post #389 of 1295 Old 11-19-2006, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gosawx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: other side of MA
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
that is showing the incoming resolution, which your set then scales to 720p. If you select an HD channel (not sure how you're connected...box?) it will show 1080i or 720p if it's ESPN or ABC
gosawx is offline  
post #390 of 1295 Old 11-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Newbie
 
cstyronjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
tv shows and dvd seems real dark even in daylight scenes - any way to adjust
cstyronjr is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off