Toshiba 50HM66, 56HM66 Discussion - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
when do you have to get the warranty if you buy one not through the store like those referenced in other posts? do you have to buy it before receipt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator911 View Post

I bought one this morning in Gainesville Florida. They didnt have anymore in store, but they had around 300 at their local warehouse. I will have the TV on Monday...

I am excited since it is my first big screen purchase(not including a projector).

How do people feel about warranties for the DLP?? I usually never get a warranty, and i was going to if it were a plasma, but I didnt for this set. I have untill delivery on Monday to add it on...

-Keith

i did get the warranty which was $400 for 3 years at Sears. The only reason I got it was because replacement bulbs for this TV go for around $200-250 and this warranty includes one bulb replacement. So technically, the warranty itself is only $150-200.
post #453 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 10:36 AM

Local sears here (seattle area) also said they would do the 110% price match - thus 1129 as stated above. However, I did not do it because of sears 15% restocking fee. I have a concern about the TV fitting in the location I want, though am 75% sure it will - and no, it is not a simple / easy measurement to take. Also, at the Sears the Toshiba had far and away the WORST picture of all the nearby TVs. First guy said Toshiba wasn't as good, second guy said that it simply wasn't configured properly for the HD signal (set to analog mode, or something like that), and they lost the remote so couldn't fix it. I am going on blind faith that Consumers Reports knows what they are doing when they state that this is among the best pictures, and that the pimply-faced teenagers at Sears don't. I did purchase the set sight unseen from best buy online yesterday, for delivery on wednesday.
post #454 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 10:54 AM

they tosh looked easily comparable to all the other dlp sets on display at sears.
post #455 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 10:59 AM

I checked out the Toshiba at Best Buy when I was researching, and to me it looked better than the Samsung DLP sitting next to it. But I don't think you can put too much stock into how these TVs look at the store. 90% of the time they are not set up properly or the signal quality is poor.
post #456 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone familiar with this set explain the picture sizes? The manual doesn't go into much technical detail.

My DVD player (Pioneer 578a) is going to a component in on the 56hm66. I've set the player to 16:9. Yet with the TV set to Pic size 0 (natural?) I get pillars. If I set it to full I get less letterbox than on the 4:3 but there's still some there. Pic size 2 fills the entire screen.

What's the best setting for the DVD?

Bob
post #457 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 12:05 PM

Are these units native 720p or 1080i?
post #458 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator911 View Post

Are these units native 720p or 1080i?

720p
post #459 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommiWan View Post

jdiehl, you got a good deal then. I tried this with both CC and BB managers, and neither would agree to do this for me.

As it turned out, I didn't even need the manager. I strolled into my BB today around 1pm and went to the customer service line (only one person in front of me). Waited all of 2 minutes, then told the girl that I needed a price adjustment on a TV that I purchased earlier in the week. She scanned my receipt a few times, it came up at the new price, and credited my charge back for $750.xx. No need to call anyone or get the manager involved, very easy!

I'm still trying to figure out which DVD player I want to get. I hooked up my old Panasonic RP-91 and that still looks fantastic, as always, but only 480p and component video. This Samsung 860 is garbage that I picked up, I guess I'll buy one of the two Oppo DVD players, sight unseen... but have no idea which one works better with our Toshiba.
post #460 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiehl View Post

As it turned out, I didn't even need the manager. I strolled into my BB today around 1pm and went to the customer service line (only one person in front of me). Waited all of 2 minutes, then told the girl that I needed a price adjustment on a TV that I purchased earlier in the week. She scanned my receipt a few times, it came up at the new price, and credited my charge back for $750.xx. No need to call anyone or get the manager involved, very easy!

Exact same thing happened to me, sort of.

The girl at the service desk said she was told no price matching on the weekend. I got the guy who told me they would to tell her to go ahead. She still wasn't sure so she called a manager who said "Try it. If the computer doesn't let you then call me."

After all that she scanned my receipt and it came right up. She said WOW! that's a big price adjust.

I grinned and walked out. Total time in the store? 6 minutes.

Bob
post #461 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 04:37 PM

I was able to get Sears to price match the deal $1129 plus tax. Im excited!
post #462 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 06:01 PM

my father in law is going to sears tomorrow to get the tv as well.
post #463 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

720p

So will it play 1080i video without converting it or will all video input be converted to 720p? I am trying to figure this out before I buy.

Thanks...
post #464 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caimakale View Post

So will it play 1080i video without converting it or will all video input be converted to 720p? I am trying to figure this out before I buy.

Thanks...

All DLP's by their nature are progressive scan. These particular models are 720p. They will convert 1080i to 720p. (These models do it well, I might add).
post #465 of 1295 Old 11-24-2006, 08:32 PM

I currently have a samsung HCN653W and am not very happy with it. Yes it's a big tv (very BIG) with a mediocre picture. I am hoping to upgrade, even if it's a smaller tv, to get a better picture. Of course inexpensive is better, but if I need to spend a few more $$$ I will. I just don't know if I can pass a price like this up.
post #466 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 05:34 AM

Scheduled for pick up this Thursday. Before that I need to pick up cables and the such. Heres my question.I am going to be picking up a new power center. Does anybosy have any recommendations?I am also thinking about adding a battery backup for my Tivos. Does anybody have any experience with the powere centers or battery backups? thanx
post #467 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 05:51 AM

I just picked up my 50HM66 on Friday, and everything looks great on it except that the picture on all sources is rotated or tilted a few degress clockwise. This is the case on component and ANT inputs. I have not tested HDMI, SVIDEO, or composite inputs.

Is there an easy way for me to adjust this, or do I need to have a service professional look at it?

Thanks in advance.
post #468 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzisu View Post

I just picked up my 50HM66 on Friday, and everything looks great on it except that the picture on all sources is rotated or tilted a few degress clockwise. This is the case on component and ANT inputs. I have not tested HDMI, SVIDEO, or composite inputs.

Is there an easy way for me to adjust this, or do I need to have a service professional look at it?

Thanks in advance.

If it's anything like my Sammy, it's tedious, but relatively simple. It does require that you remove the back of the set and manually move some things. I doubt it's something you can adjust with the software. The projection "engine" is likely tilted. Since you just got it, I would either take it back or have a pro do it under warranty. It's not worth the trouble, otherwise.
post #469 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 10:50 AM

Hi,
This is my first time on this forum. Fairly new to all of this so please bear with me. I bought a Toshiba DLP TV model 52 hmx85 last November--the look of the picture and of the set itself is gorgeous. However in September i started to notice 2 white circles about 5" side by side in the top right hand corner of the set but only on darker scenes not visible on bright scenes. Called Toshiba who sent a tech out who stated that i needed the light engine replaced. He left and nothing was done. I called recently and asked what was being done to remedy my situation and why i did not receive a call back or anything as my 1 year Manufactures warranty was almost up (week left--still have 4 years with futureshop but do not want to deal with FS). They apologized and said they were going to order a new light engine. The manager calls shortly thereafter and states that he will swtich my set---give me a new 50hmx96 right out of the box. Still to give him an answer--went online to check out the 50hmx96 and it looks very nice but i love the look of the 52hmx85. However i have been going thru the forum and have read that the hmx85 series have had bulb problems (still on my original bulb but only use it mainly on the weekends). Should i go for the 50hmx96 (know nothing about this set) or should i just wait the month or two and get my light engine fixed on my 52hmx85. Thank you in advance for any help provided.
post #470 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 10:50 AM

Jim-FYI. I purchased this TV online at BB's website after going to my local BB @ 5:00am on Friday only to turn right around after seeing the 2000 people in line as if Elvis came back to life. Well, I just got back from the store (SAT) and they adjusted my purchase plan to the 0% for 18 months. All I did was ask. Pretty cool!!!

Iggy
post #471 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 11:55 AM

I have a question regarding the 50HMX96. I finally decided to pick this set up, and it is amazing. Picture quality is outstanding on my 360, with absolutely no image lag, and now that I've seen HD I can't really accept SD, and plan on getting an HD cable box and down the road an HD-DVD player.

Anyway, the 50HMX96 has PC input, and only lists that 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 resolutions as being acceptable. This is a bit of a disappointment, as I want to upscale DVDs through the 360 at 720p through the PC input. Is the VGA card not capable of displaying a 720p source on this HDTV? Is there a possible way to work around this so I can display 720p on the PC input?

This isn't absolutely necessary as I'll be getting an HD-DVD player down the road, however it would be nice to get the set to display higher resolutions through the PC input, especially when I plan to hook up a PC down the road as well.

Thanks for any feedback!

"The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others." -Friedrich Nietzsche
post #472 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 PM

I just picked up a 50HM66 display model @ BB. I had gone by a couple days ago and saw it, but passed at the time. Today, with a friend's 4-runner in tow, I went back with the intent of buying if the price was right. After some negotiation with the GM, he gave it to me for 1170 with a 170 gift card (total of $1000).

Thoughts? I've got 30 days, but it's looking great so far. It replaces a 26" samsung HD CRT that's started to get a bit iffy with me. Like a previous poster, I'm in an apartment where a 56" would look silly. I used the 1199 price on the 56" as leverage toward this guy.
post #473 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldavie View Post

I just picked up a 50HM66 display model @ BB. I had gone by a couple days ago and saw it, but passed at the time. Today, with a friend's 4-runner in tow, I went back with the intent of buying if the price was right. After some negotiation with the GM, he gave it to me for 1170 with a 170 gift card (total of $1000).

Thoughts? I've got 30 days, but it's looking great so far. It replaces a 26" samsung HD CRT that's started to get a bit iffy with me. Like a previous poster, I'm in an apartment where a 56" would look silly. I used the 1199 price on the 56" as leverage toward this guy.

Thoughts? You paid too much, way too much. A 56" floor model would have been an okay deal at $1000 (you should get at least 10% off of open box stuff, if not more). Even then, buying a floor model is dicey (compared to an open box/return) since you're getting a HDTV that's been in torch mode for who knows how long and the precious life of your expensive DLP bulb could be half over.
post #474 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 02:55 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and post my experience. I purchased the tv last week online and picked it up last Saturday. I confirmed with an employee that I WOULD be able to price match as long as it was not a "door buster" sale. So I watched my wonderful TV all week long. On Friday, I went back to the same store and asked for my price match. I was told that they would not do it. I asked for a manager who confirmed that they would not do it. They were very rude about the whole thing. I walked out very upset. Today, after reading that some people were easily able to get the price match I decided that I would try the other BB in my city. I went there and was told the same thing at first. However, they were much nicer here and got the store manager involved. He was very willing to work with me. They eventually called up someone and walked the lady through the process to give me the credit. I was also able to get 18 months 0% interest. I was really about to give up buying anything at Best Buy ever again. Anyway, that's my story.
post #475 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 02:57 PM

asked this earlier but it was probably missed.

when do you have to get the extended warranty if you buy one not through the store like those referenced in other posts? do you have to buy it before receipt? and what is a good place to buyt the extended warranty?
post #476 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 04:06 PM

My local Sears also matched the Best Buy sales price plus
gave me additional 5% off, and had one in stock! So, I got it home
and setup. It looks real good on Dish HD and SD out of the box.
Now on to calibration. Also planning to check the serial number
to see if I can expect any light engine problems.

Overall I've got to say I'm very impressed especially for the price.

Addendum: My serial number 303212XX does not qualify for light
engine replacement according to the Toshiba website.
Hopefully this means the top screen shadow problem is solved.
post #477 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhaggerty View Post

My local Sears also matched the Best Buy sales price plus
gave me additional 5% off, and had one in stock! So, I got it home
and setup. It looks real good on Dish HD and SD out of the box.
Now on to calibration. Also planning to check the serial number
to see if I can expect any light engine problems.

Overall I've got to say I'm very impressed especially for the price.

Addendum: My serial number 303212XX does not qualify for light
engine replacement according to the Toshiba website.
Hopefully this means the top screen shadow problem is solved.

I also put mine in on that site and it said I did not qualify.
post #478 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benstudley View Post

I also put mine in on that site and it said I did not qualify.

Same here.
post #479 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 07:17 PM

Wats the site?
post #480 of 1295 Old 11-25-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrlbees View Post

asked this earlier but it was probably missed.

when do you have to get the extended warranty if you buy one not through the store like those referenced in other posts? do you have to buy it before receipt? and what is a good place to buyt the extended warranty?

Not an answer to your question, but I am going to make my standard pitch about extended warranties. These are absolutely the highest profit margin item in the store. Generally the store gets to keep 50% of the price you paid for the warranty.

In general, the item is very unlikely to fail within the warranty period and the cost of the warranty is generally higher than the typical repair cost.

I know people are talking about this wrt a bulb replacement. I have read that most of these warranties will cover 1 bulb replacement at most. Given the 4800 life being quoted, even if you use the set 5 hours a day, that's three years life expectancy on the bulb. With a typical 3 year extended warranty costing a couple hundred bucks, and being right on the edge of life expectancy of the bulb, you stand a good chance of never replacing the bulb, but even if you did, you could have saved $$ by simply putting $5/month into a replacement bulb account.

The salesmen are counting on you buying into the fear they are peddling.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page