Toshiba 50HM66, 56HM66 Discussion - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1295 Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's more like the video stops and set shuts off and restarts itself takes a couple tries to start again new light engine and bulb still the same.
I hate to be a parts changer
Have the SM but not much info in it to help thought someone would of found this problem by now after reading all the posts about it

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1295 Old 02-09-2012, 04:13 PM

Liked: 32
Hard starting equals bad/going bad ballast...That would shut the TV down and explains the difficulty restarting. But doesn't explain the freezing you describe, that would be in the computer module.
post #1263 of 1295 Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 AM

Thanks
I replaced the ballast and still the same which board is the computer module?

And thanks for your help
post #1264 of 1295 Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 PM

Ok, so I love this TV (50HM66), have owned it for about 5 years (still on the first bulb!) and I watch the hell out of it. Recently, I've noticed an issue and wondering if anyone knows what it could be....

I turn on the TV and I'm getting no picture from any of the inputs (HDMI, Component, etc). Just black screen.

I can however, still bring up the TV menu. The lamp appears fine when I pull it.

It is lit when the tv is on....would the menus still work if the lamp was bad?

This has happened occasionally in the past and I've always corrected by shutting off then restarting. Now that it's happening much more frequently, I can't seem to correct it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #1265 of 1295 Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM

Can't tell if the lamp is good or bad by looking. Bad bulbs look the same as new bulbs. But since you see menus then the issue is likely the module that isn't the light engine. Can't think of the name right now tho. I really wouldn't put alot of $$$ into it tho if it were me, and this from a satisfied 56HM66 owner (ex ) Unless the screen is under 47 inches, you need the better 1080p that is the new standard. 720 is great for smaller screens where critical viewing won't be done but anything larger should be 1080p...there IS a difference in eye candy.
post #1266 of 1295 Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 AM

Fixed it with a hard reset....weird.
post #1267 of 1295 Old 03-09-2012, 07:16 AM

post #1268 of 1295 Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

My replacement bulb went out after about 16 months of use, so I ordered a new one from Laptopsforless.com last week, plus a 2yr extended warranty. $88 plus $30 for the warranty.

However, it arrived today and seems to be the wrong part (even though the website said it was 100% compatible with the 56HM66:

http://www.laptopsforless.com/rptvla...3:TOSHIBA:RPTV

It looks like I needed the $135 one that replaces part Y67-LMP cause the one I ordered won't fit. Did this TV have two different lamp designs or something? This lamp that I have in my hand says it replaces part Y196-LMP.
post #1269 of 1295 Old 07-03-2012, 06:06 AM

Looking for a Toshiba service manual for the 56HM66 DLP Projection TV. Would be happy to share costs. TV is freezing picture, then turning OFF and ON again several times. Also, behaves strangely when I change channels sometimes. It retains a picture from the last channel watched and displays this same picture on any selected channel, but the picture flashes; sound is normal. Any ideas? TIA.
post #1270 of 1295 Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizwosti View Post

Looking for a Toshiba service manual for the 56HM66 DLP Projection TV. Would be happy to share costs. TV is freezing picture, then turning OFF and ON again several times. Also, behaves strangely when I change channels sometimes. It retains a picture from the last channel watched and displays this same picture on any selected channel, but the picture flashes; sound is normal. Any ideas? TIA.

PM your email addy to me for the service manual.
post #1271 of 1295 Old 07-21-2012, 05:13 AM

Splicer010,

Thanks for the offer. I already broke down and bought the service manual. It really isn't much help though - it must be only a few pages out of the "real" Toshiba service manual. There are not many service proceedures included - for example, it doesn't even tell how to get into service mode (I found that info on the web).

My set seems to have a common problem, but I haven't yet found anybody who has found a solution. Frustrating. I called Toshiba who steered me to one of their service shops. They seemed clueless, so I'm relutant to send the set to them to have it fixed at great cost!

Still hoping somebody has come across the right solution and is willing to share the info.
post #1272 of 1295 Old 07-21-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizwosti View Post

Splicer010,
Thanks for the offer. I already broke down and bought the service manual. It really isn't much help though - it must be only a few pages out of the "real" Toshiba service manual. There are not many service proceedures included - for example, it doesn't even tell how to get into service mode (I found that info on the web).
My set seems to have a common problem, but I haven't yet found anybody who has found a solution. Frustrating. I called Toshiba who steered me to one of their service shops. They seemed clueless, so I'm relutant to send the set to them to have it fixed at great cost!
Still hoping somebody has come across the right solution and is willing to share the info.
Really? Then you don't have the service manual as I just looked at it and how to get in the service menu is the very first thing it tells the tech what to do... Hope you didn't pay much for yours.

As to DLP sets, they are completely and totally modular. You will likely need to find a replacement module from the internet. The light engines refurbed used to be found for well under $200 as an example. Almost impossible to find now tho. I went to a Mits 73" and sold the 56HM66 almost 2 years now so haven't been keeping up with the parts availability. But try Modus Links (I think) for a place to begin searching for parts.

But to be honest, you can likely do a whole lot better on a newer/better DLP set from Mitsubishi used on Craigs List for the same or less money if you keep an eye open.

Oh, and finally, I never had a problem with my set doing as you describe so I am not sure how "common" an issue it is. The ONLY 'common' issue I am aware of is the light tunnel being bad on alot of sets. This required LE replacement. Good luck.smile.gif
post #1273 of 1295 Old 07-21-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiehl View Post

My replacement bulb went out after about 16 months of use, so I ordered a new one from Laptopsforless.com last week, plus a 2yr extended warranty. $88 plus $30 for the warranty.

However, it arrived today and seems to be the wrong part (even though the website said it was 100% compatible with the 56HM66:

http://www.laptopsforless.com/rptvla...3:TOSHIBA:RPTV

It looks like I needed the $135 one that replaces part Y67-LMP cause the one I ordered won't fit. Did this TV have two different lamp designs or something? This lamp that I have in my hand says it replaces part Y196-LMP.
Sorry for the delay in answering. Yes, there are/were two different lamps. The Y-66 which is rumored to be a defective design and the Y-67 redesigned replacement for the Y-66. Look to Electrified for cheap replacements.
post #1274 of 1295 Old 07-21-2012, 06:48 PM

Sorry, you're correct - it does tell how to get in to the Service Mode - but it doesn't tell the additional keystrokes required to bring up the end-of-line manufacturing data that includes number of hours on the lamp, DMD engine temperatures, etc. For those interested - enter Service Mode by the following procedure:

a) Turn VOLUME down to MINIMUM
b) Press MUTE button twice on remote control
c) Press and hold MUTE button down on remote control
d) While still holding MUTE button on remote, press MENU button on TV set

This will enter the TV set in Service Mode.

Once in Service Mode - pressing CHANNEL SELECT up and down keys will select items that can be adjusted and pressing VOLUME up and down keys will change the value of the selected item.

Additionally, while in Service Mode, pressing the RECALL button followed by the number "9' button will display a page of parameters that includes: Power ON Time, Lamp ON Time, Lamp ON/OFF Count, DMD Engine Temp 1, DMD Engine Temp 2, and a host of other information.

A good manual would explain all of the designed-in fault limits and what the system response would be if encountered. Yes, the manual does give just two Fault Trees: One three page tree for "Lamp does not start" - and a second one for "Dead / Does not cycle". A good service manual would go far beyond just two faults and describe a host of things that might go wrong and how to fix them. A good manual would describe detailed circuit functionality and what type of tests could be applied to isolate faults - at least to the module level and in some cases to the component level. This manual doesn't really live up to its title of Service Manual, in my experience.

As you say, finding modules may be getting more difficult, but I am having trouble confirming which module is faulty, so that I may try and find a replacement. I have read where people have replaced two, or even three modules, without fixing this problem. That gets to be a very expensive, time consuming and frustrating proposition.

Apart from the difficulty I am currently experiencing, I do like this TV set and would be more than happy to repair and retain it, if possible. To that end, I am still interested in a specific diagnostic test that would confirm which module, or component, is faulty. Perhaps you are right again, in suggesting it may be time to look for another set.

Many thanks for taking time to respond with your advice and for correcting my error.
post #1275 of 1295 Old 08-10-2012, 06:09 AM

When mine was doing a similar thing, pic freezing shut down long restart it was the sine board . Center board top to bottom on left side when facing the back of set after replacing it all was good. I love this set Shop around for the board I paid $80 used
post #1276 of 1295 Old 09-29-2012, 12:48 PM

I Just replaced the bulb on my 50hm55, 7100 hrs on the first one!!! Do i have to reset the lamp hours on this model once the new bulb is in? How to reset the lamp hours?
post #1277 of 1295 Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 PM

Lamp hours cannot be reset.
post #1278 of 1295 Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Hello I just bought this TV used and I love it the picture is great and the sound is awesome and it ran good for a couple months and then after an hour or so of watching it the picture freezes and the lamp shuts off and reboots and runs for about 5 minutes and freezes and shuts down again. almost as if it is over heating I realized this problem has been brought up before but has anyone came up with a forsure way to fix this please get back to me thank you
post #1279 of 1295 Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 AM

Hello! I'm hoping I can get a little help being I'm quite the novice. I've owned a 56HM66 for 6 years now. The tv has been great. All I've ever had to do was replace a few bulbs over that time. Recently though the picture has been deteriorating. Colors first started pixelating and "bleeding" on flesh tones. It then progressed to background colors (primarily reds). Now it's starting to get "trippy" particularly in darker scenes. What else is strange that it doesn't seem to be as apparent when we watch a DVD especially animated DVDs. Some cable stations don't seem as bad as well. We were watching a show on On Demand last night and it was downright ridiculous. Everything started to get pinkish is darker scenes. Could all of this be attributed to a bad color wheel?
post #1280 of 1295 Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is it apparent at all with the DVD? Is it possible that your problem is isolated to the cable box?
post #1281 of 1295 Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post

Is it apparent at all with the DVD? Is it possible that your problem is isolated to the cable box?

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. DVDs do show it, but it's substantially less than the cable feed. Perhaps some sorta interference. I'll switch boxes tonight and see if it's any better. Thanks!
post #1282 of 1295 Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fap1800 View Post

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. DVDs do show it, but it's substantially less than the cable feed. Perhaps some sorta interference. I'll switch boxes tonight and see if it's any better. Thanks!
Well, if you're noticing it on a different input, even if it's less, that shoots my theory down. Good luck.
post #1283 of 1295 Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Well, if you're noticing it on a different input, even if it's less, that shoots my theory down. Good luck.

I switched set top boxes and it didn't make a difference. What else was strange is that the tv wouldn't boot up when I attempted to turn it back on. The lamp fired, but the picture was a still of nothing but black and white fuzz. I turned it off and let it sit for 20 minutes and then fired it up and everything was okay, but still experiencing the color bleed and pixelation.
post #1284 of 1295 Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I switched set top boxes and it didn't make a difference. What else was strange is that the tv wouldn't boot up when I attempted to turn it back on. The lamp fired, but the picture was a still of nothing but black and white fuzz.
That's not a big deal. That's just an HDMI handshake failure. Cycling the TV and/or the STB would resolve that. Those hiccups are not uncommon.
Quote:

...but still experiencing the color bleed and pixelation.
Wish I could help, but at this point it would likely turn into an expensive trial and error.

The only thing I would try at this point would be to change cables or even try the component connection.
post #1285 of 1295 Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:

That's not a big deal. That's just an HDMI handshake failure. Cycling the TV and/or the STB would resolve that. Those hiccups are not uncommon.
Wish I could help, but at this point it would likely turn into an expensive trial and error.

The only thing I would try at this point would be to change cables or even try the component connection.

I'll give it shot. Nothing else to lose! Thanks for your help. It's greatly appreciated.
post #1286 of 1295 Old 02-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Well, it may be time to upgrade....my 8 year old (still first bulb!) 50HM66 has started to flicker frequently. Happens on all inputs, more noticeable on bright colors, whites, light blues, etc. Anyone experience this?

I've tried different power outlets to see if it was a power thing but to no avail. Thanks.
post #1287 of 1295 Old 02-25-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavi0010 View Post

Well, it may be time to upgrade....my 8 year old (still first bulb!) 50HM66 has started to flicker frequently. Happens on all inputs, more noticeable on bright colors, whites, light blues, etc. Anyone experience this?

I've tried different power outlets to see if it was a power thing but to no avail. Thanks.
It's just time for a new bulb. If your getting average use out of your set, you probably should have replaced the bulb 4 years ago. It has most likely subtly dimmed over that time. The flickering is your ballast struggling to keep a dying bulb lit. Kind of like a fluorescent light that flickers at the end of its life. You'll think you have a new TV when you replace the bulb.
post #1288 of 1295 Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM

Bulb/Lamp issues.........My 50hm66 has worked great for many years. The bulb finally went so order replacement.
Sometimes this new bulb fires right up and other times it cycles through 3-6 times before lighting.
It never did this with the original Toshiba bulb, so I'm guessing it has to do with the new replacement bulb? (manufacture, who knows....hah?)
Is it the bulb or bigger problem?
post #1289 of 1295 Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekmor View Post

Bulb/Lamp issues.........My 50hm66 has worked great for many years. The bulb finally went so order replacement.
Sometimes this new bulb fires right up and other times it cycles through 3-6 times before lighting.
It never did this with the original Toshiba bulb, so I'm guessing it has to do with the new replacement bulb? (manufacture, who knows....hah?)
Is it the bulb or bigger problem?
It could be related to being a non-OEM lamp. It could also be early ballast failure. Once it does fire up, does it stay up? Do you notice any flickering?
post #1290 of 1295 Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 AM

Once it does light up, it works perfect. No issues at all. Picture is excellent.
75% of the time it turns on normally, sometimes it cycles once, and other times it may cycle several times.
It's not a "Toshiba" bulb, I purchased from projector lamp source. The bulb has external diodes and wires, which totally different than my original lamp. They tell me it's made by Phoenix, which apparently makes the bulbs for toshiba. (well that's what they tell me).
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page