Toshiba 50HM66, 56HM66 Discussion - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1295 Old 07-24-2006, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yaamon, you saw the pics...you think it's a bulb housing issue? Something melting down or warping?
Glad yours is still OK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1295 Old 07-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Well was about to take one home today from my local best buy. On the way over my wife called and said that people on the forum were talking about shadows on the set.
I went straight to the display model and voila you can see it about half inch down from the right corner about half inch all the way across with a greenish hue to the bottom of the shadow. I do not think it is debris or anything on the screen. The guy at best buy said they never noticed it but the set is going to service for sure.
post #183 of 1295 Old 07-24-2006, 05:34 PM

Every sales guy I have asked says "I never noticed that before" Well hey buddy, are you blind?? Nobody there knows what it is and wouldn't tell you if they did. And if they did and it is a defect, they'd sell it to you anyways without a mention of what is was. In fact, they''d sell it to their own Mother if they could make a nickel.
post #184 of 1295 Old 07-24-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdad View Post

Well was about to take one home today from my local best buy. On the way over my wife called and said that people on the forum were talking about shadows on the set.
I went straight to the display model and voila you can see it about half inch down from the right corner about half inch all the way across with a greenish hue to the bottom of the shadow. I do not think it is debris or anything on the screen. The guy at best buy said they never noticed it but the set is going to service for sure.

Skaterdad, where abouts arte you? Seems like this shadow is showing up all over the place...
post #185 of 1295 Old 07-24-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporky11 View Post

Yaamon, you saw the pics...you think it's a bulb housing issue? Something melting down or warping?
Glad yours is still OK

Sporky Iam not sure exactly is the cause but bulbs when they are defective or bad does not exhibit that type of problem.

I do think that it has something to do with the housing the bulb goes into or light engine. The housing or light engine can be knocked out of alignment during transport if the tv's were not handled properly. Something internally could have gotten jarred or damaged.

This is why it would be good to know if a service guy changed out the light engine or bulb housing if they can physically see a defect.

The local stores that I have seen in Markham, Ontario where I live, I have not seen the defect on the display models in the stores yet.

Will report here if I have any problems with the Toshiba.

F room: Jvc70FH96/8300HDPvr & Dish 811, Bed.room Toshiba 50HM66, & Sa3250, Study LG42PX4D & XBox360: Kids tv: Toshiba 50H81, LG4200a, XBox 360, CM4228, 9521rotor, & 7775 preamp.
post #186 of 1295 Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 PM

I bought my parents the 50 inch and a couple of months ago and the streak appeared last week. It was a deep purple streak from one side to the other. I purchased the HHGregg 5 year warranty and they are coming for a service call. If this problem can not be fixed can they get a new tv?
post #187 of 1295 Old 07-25-2006, 05:17 AM

I've had the 50HM66 for nearly 3 months now with no problems. Picture is great! For those of you that are experiencing this "shadow" problem, where are you located? I'm in Atlanta, and as I've said, I don't have the shadow problem, and I've never seen it on a display unit here either. I'm assuming someone has contacted Toshiba about this problem? Any feedback from them?
post #188 of 1295 Old 07-25-2006, 07:13 AM

I am in gainesville Florida. This set has been on display since may. Sears has had the 56 model so I am going to check it out too later.
post #189 of 1295 Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 AM

Hi my thinking is that Toshiba might have a bad defective batch in the manufacturing of the light engine or bulb housing itself or got a little mishandled during transport.

Would be nice if a owner had his serviced so he could see what part was changed.

F room: Jvc70FH96/8300HDPvr & Dish 811, Bed.room Toshiba 50HM66, & Sa3250, Study LG42PX4D & XBox360: Kids tv: Toshiba 50H81, LG4200a, XBox 360, CM4228, 9521rotor, & 7775 preamp.
post #190 of 1295 Old 07-25-2006, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaamon View Post

Hi my thinking is that Toshiba might have a bad defective batch in the manufacturing of the light engine or bulb housing itself or got a little mishandled during transport.

Would be nice if a owner had his serviced so he could see what part was changed.

It is showing up in a variety of locations, and in mutiple countries (Canada and US) so this disproves a transport issue, there is likely a base defect in the design.
post #191 of 1295 Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobancle View Post

It is showing up in a variety of locations, and in mutiple countries (Canada and US) so this disproves a transport issue, there is likely a base defect in the design.

The key will be in getting Toshiba to recognize the defect. They seem to be pretty good about correcting problems once they accept them. Of course, all this discussion started the day I took delivery of my 56HM66 I am leaning toward a plastic part in the lamp assempby that is sagging with long term heat.

On a similar note, has anybody found a source for the service manual yet? Their listed parts suppliers don't seem to have this model online yet. I'd like to look and see how much is involved with adding the VGA and/or ethernet port from the HMX model. I am hoping that it is simply a matter of not having the connector brought out to the back panel, although there will probably be firmware issues as well.
post #192 of 1295 Old 07-25-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:

All the sets are assembled in the US and shipped from there and also to Canada.

Its easy for a 40' trailer load of tv's to get mishandled and from there got shipped all over the US and here. Hard to say.

Like I said would be nice if a owner had this same problem and got his tv serviced so we can see what was changed to fix it and if a physical defect can be seen ?

post #193 of 1295 Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Has anyone noticed this melting/sagging problem on the 50HMX96 (Cinema Series)? I'm interested in the Toshiba set, but I'm also looking at the new KDF46E2000 from Sony. I find the picture quality and options similar, so it comes down to set quality/reliability for me. Any info would be appreciated.
post #194 of 1295 Old 07-26-2006, 02:09 PM

Liked: 12
Well I brought it back to best buy and they plugged it in and turned it on. The thin triangle was visible and when we moved the cart the TV was on a bit the triangle begun to swing a little. For me it was a shadow cast from some loose material.
post #195 of 1295 Old 07-26-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post

Well I brought it back to best buy and they plugged it in and turned it on. The thin triangle was visible and when we moved the cart the TV was on a bit the triangle begun to swing a little. For me it was a shadow cast from some loose material.

Jimmy, so what was the thing that was loose? Cause there arre alot of sets that have this "loose do-dad" Is it fixed now? Could you explain a bit more...thx...
post #196 of 1295 Old 07-26-2006, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post

JimmyD the suspense is killing me . What did you find out, and how is best buy handling your issue?
post #197 of 1295 Old 07-26-2006, 08:44 PM

OK, I went to the BB in Surrey, BC tonight. I went to see the new Samsung 1080p set. They had the 50HM66 and guess what...thtats right, the dreaded shadow! It was almost all the way across the top. I wished I had my camera. It was the only BB in the Vancouver area I had not been to. I tilted the set back and forth and the shdow (anf picture) moved.

Somebody...please...HEEEELLLPPPPPPP
post #198 of 1295 Old 07-27-2006, 06:27 AM

I work at Best Buy and I look at the 50hm66 and 56hm66 everyday. The 50hm66 has been on display for about 4 months and the 56hm66 about 2. NO SHADOW on the sets we have and in my opinion they are the best looking dlp sets that we carry. I would pick either one of these sets over a samsung ww86 or ww87. No tv is perfect but I wouldn't have a samsung. No Korean products in my home.
post #199 of 1295 Old 07-27-2006, 06:59 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdad View Post

JimmyD the suspense is killing me . What did you find out, and how is best buy handling your issue?

Sorry, It was within my 30 day window so it wasn't a problem. Other then that it was left in their hands. It could be some small piece of debris that after 2.5 weeks of viewing let loose?
post #200 of 1295 Old 07-27-2006, 07:14 AM

I was in Future Shop last night looking at the 50HM66. They had 2 of the sets on display. One of the sets had the triangular shadow, while the other one didn't. According to one of the sales people, the one with the shadow had been on display longer (didn' say exactly how long), while the other was only up a couple of days. I was going to buy the 50HMX96 cinema series from another dealer, but after seeing the 50HM66, I have my doubts. The light engine in the 50HM and 50HMX are probably identical, just minor connectivity and case differences. I wouldn't be surprised if the cinema series develops the same problems. This was the Future Shop in Montreal (Lasalle) if anyone is wondering.
post #201 of 1295 Old 07-27-2006, 10:32 AM

Ok...so I just ran across this thread over in the Canadian digital forums. Check out the last post.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...t=44923&page=2

Sounds like it's an easy fix for those that have the problem.
post #202 of 1295 Old 07-27-2006, 01:14 PM

Yes stylezzz posted this. Seems a part is coming loose over time from rough transport or heat ?

Anyways, the tech was over today for a total of 15 minutes. Turned on the TV, did an "aaahhhh, I've seen this before". Took off the back, exposed the main casing, showed me the problem and fixed it in 5 minutes.

The problem? There are small black screws holding the casing in place, what happens (he said he's seen it on some Sammys as well) is that the manufacturer forgets to put on locking washers with the screws. Over time, the heat will slowly loosen the screws holding it in place, and it can slide a bit, causing the shadow effect. He said, picture holding up a piece of paper, with two hands along the top of each side, and letting one side go a bit. That is what happened to this.

So he fixed the image (it was on the ceiling at the time), put the screws back in with the washers, added a very small amt. of glue, closed it up, and it was fixed. I asked him if he did calibrating (he did) but said the 50HM66 reallly didn't need much because he hasn't seen any with convergence or geometry issues as of yet, and to save my money.

post #203 of 1295 Old 07-27-2006, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

...he hasn't seen any with convergence or geometry issues as of yet, and to save my money...

hehehe....
post #204 of 1295 Old 07-29-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:

The problem? There are small black screws holding the casing in place, what happens (he said he's seen it on some Sammys as well) is that the manufacturer forgets to put on locking washers with the screws.

I'm sorry but a manufacturer whose quality control allows them to leave parts out is not one that is going to be sitting in my living room.
post #205 of 1295 Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I'm sorry but a manufacturer whose quality control allows them to leave parts out is not one that is going to be sitting in my living room.

Well, it's your living room. The impression I got from the other post was that this is a design flaw in not specifying lockwashers, and not a QA issue in production. I.E. none of them likely have them.

Personally, I would rather have this sort of simple and well understood problem crop up than a lot of others I can think of. This I can fix.

This set (56") just replaced a circa 1994 Sony 53XBR35. That set had constant problems with the convergence circuitry on the main circuit board. Heat from the circuit would cause the chip to lift off the board and ultimately fail. Would you rather have that sort of problem?

The point is that this is an emerging situation on a new product. Toshiba has a pretty good reputation for dealing with products. The reports I have seen would indicate that the problem mostly is showing up on store display sets. These poor babies get moved around every week, get left on 18 hours a day, and generally get kicked and prodded mercilessly. I'm not sure that a well cared for set will ever see this problem, but when it happens, we now know what to do.
post #206 of 1295 Old 07-30-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayn_j View Post

Well, it's your living room. The impression I got from the other post was that this is a design flaw in not specifying lockwashers, and not a QA issue in production. I.E. none of them likely have them.

Personally, I would rather have this sort of simple and well understood problem crop up than a lot of others I can think of. This I can fix.

This set (56") just replaced a circa 1994 Sony 53XBR35. That set had constant problems with the convergence circuitry on the main circuit board. Heat from the circuit would cause the chip to lift off the board and ultimately fail. Would you rather have that sort of problem?

The point is that this is an emerging situation on a new product. Toshiba has a pretty good reputation for dealing with products. The reports I have seen would indicate that the problem mostly is showing up on store display sets. These poor babies get moved around every week, get left on 18 hours a day, and generally get kicked and prodded mercilessly. I'm not sure that a well cared for set will ever see this problem, but when it happens, we now know what to do.

Well said, but it's showing up in peoples home sets too.
I've yet to hear the shadow thing in a 56HM66 model...I winder cause there is more space for the heat to escape???
post #207 of 1295 Old 07-30-2006, 04:55 PM

Last week when I was at best buy I pointed out to the sales guy the shadow on the 50HM66. He agreed and said to check back to find out what their service people think it might be. So today I go back and the Tosh is turned off the same exact one. When I asked to have it turned on they said that since it was a brand new launch for this model they have not had a chance to set it up yet. I walked out of that store as fast as I could in total disbelief.
post #208 of 1295 Old 07-31-2006, 06:50 AM

There are a large crop of refurb 50HM66 units available, as low as $1200 shipped. Does anyone have any history, is it the shadow fix that makes them refurbs?

Looks like a good price, but is it a good value?
post #209 of 1295 Old 07-31-2006, 10:08 AM

Can someone comment on the lag if any when playing video games. I'm mainly concerns with the Gamecube, xbox, and PS2 and how games that default to 480i and 480P (most games) perform on the TV

Thanks
post #210 of 1295 Old 07-31-2006, 10:27 AM

I just returned from our Best Buy, Sears and HHGregg.. All their 50hm66 sets where working perfectly as our own.

Mike

I have to correct my above statement..
Last night I paid more attention to our tv and Noticed the "shadow effect".
I have a tech coming tomorrow and thanks to all for the advice on how to fix it!!
He might not know.

I shall post back tomorrow and let you all know what he decided to do.

It is under warranty so I am not worried.

Mike
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Toshiba , Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page